Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Graham Coxon
Anybody remember Blur in their hey day? Graham, a fellow Colcestrian, always looked a bit out of place, so it was no big surprise when he split away and went completely solo. His most recent album, "Love Travels at Illegal Speeds", is good fun - no incredible masterpiece, but well worth a listen, especially for the Nick Drake and John Lennon influences. Check out "Happiness in Magazines", his previous album, too. All quite a different path to Damon Albarn and Gorillaz.
The text you are quoting:
Anybody remember Blur in their hey day? Graham, a fellow Colcestrian, always looked a bit out of place, so it was no big surprise when he split away and went completely solo. His most recent album, "Love Travels at Illegal Speeds", is good fun - no incredible masterpiece, but well worth a listen, especially for the Nick Drake and John Lennon influences. Check out "Happiness in Magazines", his previous album, too. All quite a different path to Damon Albarn and Gorillaz.
elvisApr 12, 2006 @ 23:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1083 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: Graham Coxon
Post 1
I find that Graham Coxon, much like his old band Blur, produces great singles, but the album filler material is rarely up to scratch (IMHO). I resigned myself some time ago to cherry picking the best tracks and discarding the rest ... I guess music download services were designed for the likes of me. I listened through the samples for this album on mycokemusic.com, and watched the vids on http://www.grahamcoxon.co.uk . Once again there are at least 3 great songs here ... not sure about the rest though.

Incidentally, on his mySpace page Graham name checks Billy Childish as an influence. Popular bloke Mr Childish, but it’s got to be his sidekick Graham Day who is THE daddy of the Medway delta (and by extension the British garage/mod/punk) scene. Buy any - better still all – of the Solarflares five albums. Definitely in the same musical spectrum as Graham Coxon, only more. detour-records.co.uk is a gold mine for that sort of stuff. The website is a dog, but you can trust Dizzy with your credit card number (at least, he hasn’t ripped me off yet) … phone it through though, don’t email it!
The text you are quoting:
I find that Graham Coxon, much like his old band Blur, produces great singles, but the album filler material is rarely up to scratch (IMHO). I resigned myself some time ago to cherry picking the best tracks and discarding the rest ... I guess music download services were designed for the likes of me. I listened through the samples for this album on mycokemusic.com, and watched the vids on http://www.grahamcoxon.co.uk . Once again there are at least 3 great songs here ... not sure about the rest though.

Incidentally, on his mySpace page Graham name checks Billy Childish as an influence. Popular bloke Mr Childish, but it’s got to be his sidekick Graham Day who is THE daddy of the Medway delta (and by extension the British garage/mod/punk) scene. Buy any - better still all – of the Solarflares five albums. Definitely in the same musical spectrum as Graham Coxon, only more. detour-records.co.uk is a gold mine for that sort of stuff. The website is a dog, but you can trust Dizzy with your credit card number (at least, he hasn’t ripped me off yet) … phone it through though, don’t email it!
Les_, May 9, 2006 @ 00:37
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1083 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form