Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > Has Anyone Read "Never Let Me Go" by Ishiguro?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Has Anyone Read "Never Let Me Go" by Ishiguro?
Has anyone read this book? I picked it up and read a few pages in Payot today, but the book didn't draw me in. Since all of the big-wig reviewers give it such high marks, and it was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize, I figure it must get better. But does it?
The text you are quoting:
Has anyone read this book? I picked it up and read a few pages in Payot today, but the book didn't draw me in. Since all of the big-wig reviewers give it such high marks, and it was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize, I figure it must get better. But does it?
tiffanyFeb 27, 2006 @ 20:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1288 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Has Anyone Read "Never Let Me Go" by Ishiguro?
Post 1
I just bought the book last weekend too, having heard similarly good things, but 50 pages in, I'm not really excited by it. I used to work in boarding schools in the UK, and what I'm reading is not what I experienced. Hope it does get better!

Couple of recommendations meanwhile: check out The Memory of Running by Ron McLaverty and Saturday by Ian McEwan. Also try to find The Light of Falling Stars by J Robert Lennon.
I just bought the book last weekend too, having heard similarly good things, but 50 pages in, I'm not really excited by it. I used to work in boarding schools in the UK, and what I'm reading is not what I experienced. Hope it does get better!

Couple of recommendations meanwhile: check out The Memory of Running by Ron McLaverty and Saturday by Ian McEwan. Also try to find The Light of Falling Stars by J Robert Lennon.
elvis, Mar 14, 2006 @ 13:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Thanks for the review. I think I'll pass on this one or get it from the library....
Thanks for the review. I think I'll pass on this one or get it from the library....
tiffany, Mar 14, 2006 @ 16:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
...the book does get going in the end! You just have to wait till about page 80 in the paperback edition to realise what's going on, then it all begins to come together. Scrap my previous comments on boarding schools, as it's not really relevant! Wouldn't call the book outstanding, but it's worth a train journey read.
...the book does get going in the end! You just have to wait till about page 80 in the paperback edition to realise what's going on, then it all begins to come together. Scrap my previous comments on boarding schools, as it's not really relevant! Wouldn't call the book outstanding, but it's worth a train journey read.
elvis, Mar 30, 2006 @ 22:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1288 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form