Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Houllebeq
Is all that I have to say/write/type regarding contemporary writers. Absolutely genious! Did anyone else likes his books?
The text you are quoting:
Is all that I have to say/write/type regarding contemporary writers. Absolutely genious! Did anyone else likes his books?
zenbrainNov 15, 2005 @ 19:46
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1970 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Houllebeq
Post 1
...enjoyed Houellebecq’s acute social observations in “Whatever”. I have “Atomised” in my bookcase and should read it sometime. Shame he had to go into hiding in Ireland.
...enjoyed Houellebecq’s acute social observations in “Whatever”. I have “Atomised” in my bookcase and should read it sometime. Shame he had to go into hiding in Ireland.
hmmm, Nov 20, 2005 @ 22:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I've read the french version of "whatever", "atomized" and "Platform" and I am reading the new one.

Have to say that my favorite one is atomized and platform is simplistic vulgar. I'm actually more and more disapointed with the new one which makes me kind of regret to have called him a genius.

Don't think his preferred target is the muslims culture. Of course he is very cynical and critizes everything. HIs provocation towards muslims in platform was very discussed, but I think he hit harder in other issues (sex liberalisation of the hippies, mass tourism, yoga, african dances)

I've read the french version of "whatever", "atomized" and "Platform" and I am reading the new one.

Have to say that my favorite one is atomized and platform is simplistic vulgar. I'm actually more and more disapointed with the new one which makes me kind of regret to have called him a genius.

Don't think his preferred target is the muslims culture. Of course he is very cynical and critizes everything. HIs provocation towards muslims in platform was very discussed, but I think he hit harder in other issues (sex liberalisation of the hippies, mass tourism, yoga, african dances)

zenbrain, Nov 21, 2005 @ 14:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
...as I say, I haven’t read his later novels, but thought "Whatever" showed very well how scientism has roboticised and trivialised normal human interactions leading to alienation and despair finding love in a brutal world. Also how the information age, far from freeing us, chains us to a new conformity of sterile business-speak emptied of meaning. Best of all, some mordantly clever attacks on the twisted morals of the soixante-huitardards, sexual liberation and the psychotherapeutic cult of self-esteem. Houellebecq is a pessimistic existentialist with a sometimes sickening style, but he gets beneath the surface.
...as I say, I haven’t read his later novels, but thought "Whatever" showed very well how scientism has roboticised and trivialised normal human interactions leading to alienation and despair finding love in a brutal world. Also how the information age, far from freeing us, chains us to a new conformity of sterile business-speak emptied of meaning. Best of all, some mordantly clever attacks on the twisted morals of the soixante-huitardards, sexual liberation and the psychotherapeutic cult of self-esteem. Houellebecq is a pessimistic existentialist with a sometimes sickening style, but he gets beneath the surface.
hmmm, Nov 22, 2005 @ 21:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
the last houellebecq is absolutely great.

Of course he is provocative etc, but it is (in French anyway) extremely well written. Not politically correct at all( it's just a roman and should be seen as such), but fun.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

the last houellebecq is absolutely great.

Of course he is provocative etc, but it is (in French anyway) extremely well written. Not politically correct at all( it's just a roman and should be seen as such), but fun.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

VeroB, Nov 23, 2005 @ 14:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Agree with the above string - was a big fan of Atomised and so rushed out to pick up Platform, on the strength (or rather lack of) of Platform i've not picked up Houlebeq again. For both books I thought of a European and later decades Brett Easton Ellis though.
Agree with the above string - was a big fan of Atomised and so rushed out to pick up Platform, on the strength (or rather lack of) of Platform i've not picked up Houlebeq again. For both books I thought of a European and later decades Brett Easton Ellis though.
Singean, Nov 27, 2005 @ 13:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1970 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form