Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Layercake
After reading Ulli's penchant for 'Revolver' I have a feeling he'll love this book 'Layercake' by J.J Connelly. I've just read it though never saw the film which was Produced by Guy Ritchie's best mate Matthew Vaughn (husband of Claudia Schiffer). As for Kate reading 'The Historian' and hating it because she never learned the main character's name - well Layercake is the same but brilliant for it.

Layercake is a slang description of the various tiers of the British criminal underworld. The book is a definite page turner which demands to be consumed end to end in one sitting. I read it through the night finishing at 6am. It's pacey, violent, humorous and highly engaging with its own strong sense of criminal vernacular. Its entertainment in itself to work out the true meaning of the cockney rhyming slang used throughout eg. Boat = Face (ie Boat race -> face)etc. Although these elements may pose a challenge to those who do not speak English as a first language (or even know sufficient cockney rhyming slang) it is definitely still an excellent read regardless (and I'm always here for 'translations' as required).
The text you are quoting:
After reading Ulli's penchant for 'Revolver' I have a feeling he'll love this book 'Layercake' by J.J Connelly. I've just read it though never saw the film which was Produced by Guy Ritchie's best mate Matthew Vaughn (husband of Claudia Schiffer). As for Kate reading 'The Historian' and hating it because she never learned the main character's name - well Layercake is the same but brilliant for it.

Layercake is a slang description of the various tiers of the British criminal underworld. The book is a definite page turner which demands to be consumed end to end in one sitting. I read it through the night finishing at 6am. It's pacey, violent, humorous and highly engaging with its own strong sense of criminal vernacular. Its entertainment in itself to work out the true meaning of the cockney rhyming slang used throughout eg. Boat = Face (ie Boat race -> face)etc. Although these elements may pose a challenge to those who do not speak English as a first language (or even know sufficient cockney rhyming slang) it is definitely still an excellent read regardless (and I'm always here for 'translations' as required).
Nottm_LassNov 10, 2005 @ 12:57
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1242 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: Layercake
Post 1
I read your review of 'Round Ireland with a Fridge' and really want to read that now - how about we do a swap-sies with my copy of Layercake. We can swap back if you want your book back again ? Let me know.
The text you are quoting:
I read your review of 'Round Ireland with a Fridge' and really want to read that now - how about we do a swap-sies with my copy of Layercake. We can swap back if you want your book back again ? Let me know.
Nottm_Lass, Nov 10, 2005 @ 21:22
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1242 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form