Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > Our culture, what's left of it

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Our culture, what's left of it
“Our Culture, what’s left of it” is a collection of recent social analysis and literary critical journalism from Theodore Dalrymple, a retired British prison doctor and writer, whom many regard as the George Orwell of our time. The essays essentially anatomise our age’s moral and cultural depredations. An earlier book of Dalrymple’s – “Life at the Bottom” – reported on the lifestyles and ways of thinking of Britain’s growing underclass, whose culture, he warned, through its disinhibition, vulgarity, aggression, self-importance and arrogance, was spreading through the whole society. The twenty-six essays in “Our Culture, what’s left of it” expand on this theme and take the focus beyond Britain’s shores. The essays range in subject from the breakdown of Islam to body-piercing and the legalisation of drugs, and from great creators (Shakespeare, Turgenev, Cassatt) to thoughtless destroyers (Marx, D H Lawrence, Virginia Woolf). Dalrymple uses insights from exchanges with prison patients during his years as a practitioner. Some essays outline the critical conditions that allow the frivolity of evil to insinuate itself in human nature (his diagnoses run contrary to those of most social scientists). Other essays criticise the irresponsibility of the educated classes and their peddling of the psychotherapeutic view of life that has eroded emotional hardiness and self-reliance in favour of “a banal, self-pitying, witless and shallow emotional incontinence”. He sheds light on the mendacity employed in much of the rhetoric about poverty. He believes human understanding to have reached its height with Shakespeare and sees art as a potential redemptive force. His honesty is penetrating and unsentimental, his vocabulary eloquent: “Having spent a considerable proportion of my professional career in Third World countries in which the implementation of abstract ideas and ideals has made bad situations incomparably worse, and the rest of my career among the very extensive British underclass, whose disastrous notions about how to live derive from the unrealistic, self-indulgent, and often fatuous ideas of social critics, I have come to regard intellectual and artistic life as being of incalculable practical importance and effect.”

If you wish to sample some of Dalrymple’s writing, a Google search on his name retrieves hundreds of articles, including one from 2002 - “The Barbarians at the Gates of Paris” – in which he predicted the recent French riots. The 5-star ratings of the book at Amazon.com tell their own story. I think he’ll be read into the next century.
The text you are quoting:
“Our Culture, what’s left of it” is a collection of recent social analysis and literary critical journalism from Theodore Dalrymple, a retired British prison doctor and writer, whom many regard as the George Orwell of our time. The essays essentially anatomise our age’s moral and cultural depredations. An earlier book of Dalrymple’s – “Life at the Bottom” – reported on the lifestyles and ways of thinking of Britain’s growing underclass, whose culture, he warned, through its disinhibition, vulgarity, aggression, self-importance and arrogance, was spreading through the whole society. The twenty-six essays in “Our Culture, what’s left of it” expand on this theme and take the focus beyond Britain’s shores. The essays range in subject from the breakdown of Islam to body-piercing and the legalisation of drugs, and from great creators (Shakespeare, Turgenev, Cassatt) to thoughtless destroyers (Marx, D H Lawrence, Virginia Woolf). Dalrymple uses insights from exchanges with prison patients during his years as a practitioner. Some essays outline the critical conditions that allow the frivolity of evil to insinuate itself in human nature (his diagnoses run contrary to those of most social scientists). Other essays criticise the irresponsibility of the educated classes and their peddling of the psychotherapeutic view of life that has eroded emotional hardiness and self-reliance in favour of “a banal, self-pitying, witless and shallow emotional incontinence”. He sheds light on the mendacity employed in much of the rhetoric about poverty. He believes human understanding to have reached its height with Shakespeare and sees art as a potential redemptive force. His honesty is penetrating and unsentimental, his vocabulary eloquent: “Having spent a considerable proportion of my professional career in Third World countries in which the implementation of abstract ideas and ideals has made bad situations incomparably worse, and the rest of my career among the very extensive British underclass, whose disastrous notions about how to live derive from the unrealistic, self-indulgent, and often fatuous ideas of social critics, I have come to regard intellectual and artistic life as being of incalculable practical importance and effect.”

If you wish to sample some of Dalrymple’s writing, a Google search on his name retrieves hundreds of articles, including one from 2002 - “The Barbarians at the Gates of Paris” – in which he predicted the recent French riots. The 5-star ratings of the book at Amazon.com tell their own story. I think he’ll be read into the next century.

hmmmNov 20, 2005 @ 22:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1524 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Our culture, what's left of it
Post 1
I had a really great response written. I haven't finished reading the book, but I'm getting a lot out of it. I think that the episode of the West Wing, season 3 "Night Five" parallels stuff in this book and would go along well with the Houllebecq discussion below. I'm a little pissy because it didn't go through and asked me to fill in my name and then bounced me back. ARGH! It was a good post, a really good post. I spelled Solzhenitsyn correctly! I want extra credit for that. I also wrote this clear, coherent post under the influence of a very strong painkiller for my headache. I was so pleased, and now it doesn't matter, it's gone, lost in the ether.
Whatever, Dalrymple is good, Houllebecq at least sounds interesting, Robert Wilson is a good writer, too. Reading the sequel to Blind Man of Seville. Good stuff.
Good night. I had written a really good post!!!!
I had a really great response written. I haven't finished reading the book, but I'm getting a lot out of it. I think that the episode of the West Wing, season 3 "Night Five" parallels stuff in this book and would go along well with the Houllebecq discussion below. I'm a little pissy because it didn't go through and asked me to fill in my name and then bounced me back. ARGH! It was a good post, a really good post. I spelled Solzhenitsyn correctly! I want extra credit for that. I also wrote this clear, coherent post under the influence of a very strong painkiller for my headache. I was so pleased, and now it doesn't matter, it's gone, lost in the ether.
Whatever, Dalrymple is good, Houllebecq at least sounds interesting, Robert Wilson is a good writer, too. Reading the sequel to Blind Man of Seville. Good stuff.
Good night. I had written a really good post!!!!
misskate, Nov 21, 2005 @ 21:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Dear MissKate,
This serves to officially recognize that u have written a really good post with correct spelling and sh*t....well done...

fm the Bureau of Lost Posts

; )
Dear MissKate,
This serves to officially recognize that u have written a really good post with correct spelling and sh*t....well done...

fm the Bureau of Lost Posts

; )
Tigger, Nov 27, 2005 @ 14:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
this will throw some food for thought on the table , "www.tomislavbudak.com" , the article on Karmic cleansing ...might lend some insight into the precieved breakdown of culture
not familiar with the above mentioned works ( including that elusive masterpiece , "the lost post" :-) ) , but off the top my head , we are steadily turning into a global village , so there is bound to be disemmination of culture ( historical culture ), as to the downside mentioned ( bad youth etc ) that I attribute to lack of discipline and real empathic love .
mmmm ... interesting lol !!!
this will throw some food for thought on the table , "www.tomislavbudak.com" , the article on Karmic cleansing ...might lend some insight into the precieved breakdown of culture
not familiar with the above mentioned works ( including that elusive masterpiece , "the lost post" :-) ) , but off the top my head , we are steadily turning into a global village , so there is bound to be disemmination of culture ( historical culture ), as to the downside mentioned ( bad youth etc ) that I attribute to lack of discipline and real empathic love .
mmmm ... interesting lol !!!
tantien, Dec 3, 2005 @ 21:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1524 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form