Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Perfume
Worst movie I've ever seen. Terrible plot- a man with an amazing sense of smell becomes obsessed with the idea of preserving smells forever so apprentices himself to a perfumer played by Dustin Hoffman. Is particularly enamoured with the scent of females, so through trial and error, comes up with a way to forever capture their scent after murdering them.
Strange and weak story line and a not very believable ending to the story added up to two and a half hours of pure boredom!
The text you are quoting:
Worst movie I've ever seen. Terrible plot- a man with an amazing sense of smell becomes obsessed with the idea of preserving smells forever so apprentices himself to a perfumer played by Dustin Hoffman. Is particularly enamoured with the scent of females, so through trial and error, comes up with a way to forever capture their scent after murdering them.
Strange and weak story line and a not very believable ending to the story added up to two and a half hours of pure boredom!
BrogstaOct 3, 2006 @ 13:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 1674 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Perfume
Post 1
Don't let the movie ruin a great story. You should read the book, its much better and the obession is captured really well in the writing.
Don't let the movie ruin a great story. You should read the book, its much better and the obession is captured really well in the writing.
nancy, Oct 3, 2006 @ 13:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
cause I don't think it was captured that well in the movie!
cause I don't think it was captured that well in the movie!
Brogsta, Oct 3, 2006 @ 13:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
or am I confusing stories?
or am I confusing stories?
Nir Ofek, Oct 3, 2006 @ 16:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
i love the book, i think its great.

i was so excited when i saw they made it into a movie....i refuse to believe that its actually that bad, so might just go see it myself...or wait until it comes out on dvd?
i love the book, i think its great.

i was so excited when i saw they made it into a movie....i refuse to believe that its actually that bad, so might just go see it myself...or wait until it comes out on dvd?
SweetSwede, Oct 3, 2006 @ 16:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
It's the story of a guy, that more or less nobody like, and had the best nose ever. So he success to make a perfume so incredible that everyone likes him, without even knowing why.
R?my
It's the story of a guy, that more or less nobody like, and had the best nose ever. So he success to make a perfume so incredible that everyone likes him, without even knowing why.
R?my
RemyS, Oct 3, 2006 @ 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Read the book (you can borrow mine). We actually read it in a GOL book club. I think most people liked it. I'm disappointed that the movie doesn't sound so great...
Read the book (you can borrow mine). We actually read it in a GOL book club. I think most people liked it. I'm disappointed that the movie doesn't sound so great...
tiffany, Oct 5, 2006 @ 20:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
I am quite disappointed by the reviews on Perfume - the movie. I read the book about 2 months ago only and was very sceptical to go and see the movie. But I was really positively surprised! The movie is quite close to the book although a couple of scenes were shortened or completely taken away. However, this does not give a wrong image or make something missing! I enjoyed the settings, and also the narration of the story - I would definitely recommend to see it!
I am quite disappointed by the reviews on Perfume - the movie. I read the book about 2 months ago only and was very sceptical to go and see the movie. But I was really positively surprised! The movie is quite close to the book although a couple of scenes were shortened or completely taken away. However, this does not give a wrong image or make something missing! I enjoyed the settings, and also the narration of the story - I would definitely recommend to see it!
Bego, Oct 11, 2006 @ 14:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
The book provides an original read, as it presents a perspective much ignored in life, that of scent.

Most stories describe things visually, focusing mainly on appearence. This book tells a story purely through the sense of smell, from the perspective of a young man whose only way of understanding the world is through scent.

He becomes so obsessed with capturing and possessing smells, and cares about nothing else (socially challenged) that he becomes a murder with the sole intention of creating the greatest scent in the world. All this is portrayed beautifully in the book.

I thought the movie did quite a good job of capturing this, but being a predominantly visual media it has a lot of limitations. It is probably much better if you have read the book first, so that you understand all the subtleties in the story. I read the book a long time ago, so I had forgotten somewhat how the story went, which made me much less critical of the movie, and a more enjoyable experience.

I will conclude this teatrise on Perfume ;D with the wish that it was possible to make this movie in a cinema that could release perfumes in the air... so that you could feel the scents that the movie portrays and truly capture the spirit of the story.
The book provides an original read, as it presents a perspective much ignored in life, that of scent.

Most stories describe things visually, focusing mainly on appearence. This book tells a story purely through the sense of smell, from the perspective of a young man whose only way of understanding the world is through scent.

He becomes so obsessed with capturing and possessing smells, and cares about nothing else (socially challenged) that he becomes a murder with the sole intention of creating the greatest scent in the world. All this is portrayed beautifully in the book.

I thought the movie did quite a good job of capturing this, but being a predominantly visual media it has a lot of limitations. It is probably much better if you have read the book first, so that you understand all the subtleties in the story. I read the book a long time ago, so I had forgotten somewhat how the story went, which made me much less critical of the movie, and a more enjoyable experience.

I will conclude this teatrise on Perfume ;D with the wish that it was possible to make this movie in a cinema that could release perfumes in the air... so that you could feel the scents that the movie portrays and truly capture the spirit of the story.
Crazy_Llama, Oct 12, 2006 @ 23:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Wow I think this movie is amazing!!
Wow I think this movie is amazing!!
ulalima, Nov 5, 2006 @ 22:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Oct 11, 06 14:23

i agree totally with you Bego.

i agree totally with you Bego.

christophe, Jul 19, 2010 @ 09:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I thought it was a very strange but extremely intriguing movie - although all the time while watching it I was thinking "what is this" I had to watch it all the way to the end...

If you are mostly into simple, entertaining "do not want to think" movies this will absolutely not be a success

I thought it was a very strange but extremely intriguing movie - although all the time while watching it I was thinking "what is this" I had to watch it all the way to the end...

If you are mostly into simple, entertaining "do not want to think" movies this will absolutely not be a success

Caroline K, Jul 19, 2010 @ 10:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Jul 19, 10 10:02

exactly!

&, if i may add to your comment.. reading the book allows you to appreciate the movie better..  its like drinking a damn good scotch & dry - you cant really appreciate it (in fullness) until you drink scotch on its own.

exactly!

&, if i may add to your comment.. reading the book allows you to appreciate the movie better..  its like drinking a damn good scotch & dry - you cant really appreciate it (in fullness) until you drink scotch on its own.

christophe, Jul 19, 2010 @ 11:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 1674 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form