Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > Stieg Larsson Trilogy

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Stieg Larsson Trilogy

HI!

I would like to leave here a comment about the best three books I've read lately.

Stieg was a Swedish Editor and Journalist from the Expo magazine that unfortunately didn't lived to see the impact of his work.

This trilogy just hooked me in a story about two main characters Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist.

Lisbeth Salander is in her mid-twenties, a slight, anorexic-looking girl with short, coal-black hair and several tattoos, who could easily pass for a teenage girl, who is not only judged by her appearance, but also displays a number of autistic features.

Mikael Blomkvist is the cautious, almost bourgeois gentleman who is not really a match for hardboiled villains who shoot first and ask questions later.

You can see a good critic at :

http://my.opera.com/dortejakobsen/blog/lisbeth-salander-alias-pippi-longstocking

Have a good reading :)

Nuno.

The text you are quoting:

HI!

I would like to leave here a comment about the best three books I've read lately.

Stieg was a Swedish Editor and Journalist from the Expo magazine that unfortunately didn't lived to see the impact of his work.

This trilogy just hooked me in a story about two main characters Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist.

Lisbeth Salander is in her mid-twenties, a slight, anorexic-looking girl with short, coal-black hair and several tattoos, who could easily pass for a teenage girl, who is not only judged by her appearance, but also displays a number of autistic features.

Mikael Blomkvist is the cautious, almost bourgeois gentleman who is not really a match for hardboiled villains who shoot first and ask questions later.

You can see a good critic at :

http://my.opera.com/dortejakobsen/blog/lisbeth-salander-alias-pippi-longstocking

Have a good reading :)

Nuno.

becuzJan 19, 2010 @ 03:00
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

43 Replies | 2306 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Stieg Larsson Trilogy
Post 1

Sounds like fun books to read. Thanks for sharing.

Do you happen to know where I can buy or borrow the books in Geneva? Thanks.

Sounds like fun books to read. Thanks for sharing.

Do you happen to know where I can buy or borrow the books in Geneva? Thanks.

wonder, Jan 19, 2010 @ 09:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

im quite sure that you can buy them in every book store.. even in english.. they are very famous at the moment cuz the 2nd movie is coming out soon..

otherwise you can take a look at amazon.com they send you the books without paying for the sendin..

i ordered all books last week and yesterday they arrived! so now i can start to read them! can't wait

im quite sure that you can buy them in every book store.. even in english.. they are very famous at the moment cuz the 2nd movie is coming out soon..

otherwise you can take a look at amazon.com they send you the books without paying for the sendin..

i ordered all books last week and yesterday they arrived! so now i can start to read them! can't wait

Nadine B, Jan 19, 2010 @ 09:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Wonderful, I will check the local bookstores first. Thanks a lot, Nadine.

Wonderful, I will check the local bookstores first. Thanks a lot, Nadine.

wonder, Jan 19, 2010 @ 09:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

you are very welcome!

Swedish books are the best Wink

but u will see.. and after you read them you can watch all the movies!

wish you good luck with finding them..

you are very welcome!

Swedish books are the best Wink

but u will see.. and after you read them you can watch all the movies!

wish you good luck with finding them..

Nadine B, Jan 19, 2010 @ 09:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

you know what - after reading the books, i will not go to watch the movies

i got so disappointed reading "Da Vinci" first, then watched the movie..., and some others...

you know what - after reading the books, i will not go to watch the movies

i got so disappointed reading "Da Vinci" first, then watched the movie..., and some others...

wonder, Jan 19, 2010 @ 10:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

If you don't want to invest (about 40 swiss Francs per book), you can borrow those books in the French translation in all Geneva public libraries.

There is also the audio book version in the Paquis branch.

Yiannis

If you don't want to invest (about 40 swiss Francs per book), you can borrow those books in the French translation in all Geneva public libraries.

There is also the audio book version in the Paquis branch.

Yiannis

Yiannis P, Jan 19, 2010 @ 10:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

@Wonder

Go to www.bookdepository.co.uk

Search under Steig Larsson.

The three books are:

1) The girl with the dragon tattoo. (paperback available)

2) The girl who played with fire. (paperback available)

3) The girl who kicked over the hornet's nest. (out of stock in paperback. available in hardcover)

Or you can get book three from FNAC in large format softcover for about CHF 35-40.

Delivery from the UK is normally about 5 working days.

This is a great series. Be sure to have all three books as it is really the continuation of the story. You will not be able to put them down.

@Wonder

Go to www.bookdepository.co.uk

Search under Steig Larsson.

The three books are:

1) The girl with the dragon tattoo. (paperback available)

2) The girl who played with fire. (paperback available)

3) The girl who kicked over the hornet's nest. (out of stock in paperback. available in hardcover)

Or you can get book three from FNAC in large format softcover for about CHF 35-40.

Delivery from the UK is normally about 5 working days.

This is a great series. Be sure to have all three books as it is really the continuation of the story. You will not be able to put them down.

Verbier, Jan 19, 2010 @ 09:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thanks Verbier. Will do.

Ulannis: I am yet to read books in French, in the near future, I hope. Smile

Thanks Verbier. Will do.

wonder, Jan 19, 2010 @ 10:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thanks Verbier. Will do.

Jan 19, 10 10:08

Sorry, Ylannis.

Sorry, Ylannis.

wonder, Jan 19, 2010 @ 10:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

@Nadine B.

If you like Swedish authors, have a look at Camilla Läckberg. She has three books published now.

The Ice Princess

The Preacher

The Stone Cutter

They are available as well from Book Depository.

@Nadine B.

If you like Swedish authors, have a look at Camilla Läckberg. She has three books published now.

The Ice Princess

The Preacher

The Stone Cutter

They are available as well from Book Depository.

Verbier, Jan 19, 2010 @ 10:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Play.com is good for ordering books.  Takes about a week.  You need to order in Euros for books delivered outside the UK - delivery free of charge.

There are also reviews posted on the books.

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/5402202/The-Girl-with-the-Dragon-Tattoo/Product.html?cur=258

Play.com is good for ordering books.  Takes about a week.  You need to order in Euros for books delivered outside the UK - delivery free of charge.

There are also reviews posted on the books.

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/5402202/The-Girl-with-the-Dragon-Tattoo/Product.html?cur=258

mozambique, Jan 19, 2010 @ 10:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

@ Verbier:Thanks! i will take a look for them after i finished the stieg larsson trilogy and all books of new moon ;) but i will keep that in my mind!

@ Verbier:Thanks! i will take a look for them after i finished the stieg larsson trilogy and all books of new moon ;) but i will keep that in my mind!

Nadine B, Jan 19, 2010 @ 11:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

@verbier Thanks for the tips on Swedish authors !!

@Nadine B I've received the two first books for Christmas, unfortunately they are in Portuguese, but I was so hooked that I had to buy the last one urgently ! I bought it @off the shelf  bvd Georges-Favon 15 1204 Genève, Switzerland 022 311 10 90, the last one is in English If anyone wants to borrow any one of them just send me a message !

So here is what I have:

Millennium I  - Portuguese Title "Os Homens que odeiam as Mulheres". 

Millennium II - Portuguese Title "A Rapariga que sonhava com uma lata de gasolina e um Fosforo ".

Millennium III - English edition "The girl who kicked the Hornets' nest.

Have a good time :)

Nuno.

@verbier Thanks for the tips on Swedish authors !!

@Nadine B I've received the two first books for Christmas, unfortunately they are in Portuguese, but I was so hooked that I had to buy the last one urgently ! I bought it @off the shelf  bvd Georges-Favon 15 1204 Genève, Switzerland 022 311 10 90, the last one is in English If anyone wants to borrow any one of them just send me a message !

So here is what I have:

Millennium I  - Portuguese Title "Os Homens que odeiam as Mulheres". 

Millennium II - Portuguese Title "A Rapariga que sonhava com uma lata de gasolina e um Fosforo ".

Millennium III - English edition "The girl who kicked the Hornets' nest.

Have a good time :)

Nuno.

becuz, Jan 19, 2010 @ 13:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

i already got all 3 books but i have them in german ;-) but thanks..

but i watched the movie of the 1st book last year and now i need to read the books ;)

books are always better than the movie!

i already got all 3 books but i have them in german ;-) but thanks..

but i watched the movie of the 1st book last year and now i need to read the books ;)

books are always better than the movie!

Nadine B, Jan 19, 2010 @ 13:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

@Wonder Those books are fantastic, they touch actual matters and they put the finger in some of the society's problems nowadays ! 

As a journalist and Editor he's an "out of preconception" kind of guy, he's writing is fluent and very easy to read. You'll be hooked I assure you :)

You can see in the anterior comment were I bought it and if you want to borrow any of them just let me know !

Have a nice day !

Nuno.

@Wonder Those books are fantastic, they touch actual matters and they put the finger in some of the society's problems nowadays ! 

As a journalist and Editor he's an "out of preconception" kind of guy, he's writing is fluent and very easy to read. You'll be hooked I assure you :)

You can see in the anterior comment were I bought it and if you want to borrow any of them just let me know !

Have a nice day !

Nuno.

becuz, Jan 19, 2010 @ 13:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

@ Nadine B I agree with you, Books are more "complete", didn't saw the movies but I'm looking forward to. :)

Stay well !

@ Nadine B I agree with you, Books are more "complete", didn't saw the movies but I'm looking forward to. :)

Stay well !

becuz, Jan 19, 2010 @ 13:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Have a nice day !

Nuno.

Jan 19, 10 13:30

@Nuno, after your description and others, I do not seem to be able to wait any longer. :-)

So you only have the last one in English, right? I do not read Portuguese. Do you think it is ok to read the last one first? If yes, can I borrow it from you? Many thanks.

@Nuno, after your description and others, I do not seem to be able to wait any longer. :-)

So you only have the last one in English, right? I do not read Portuguese. Do you think it is ok to read the last one first? If yes, can I borrow it from you? Many thanks.

wonder, Jan 19, 2010 @ 14:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

@wonder The last book is an extension of the second one, I advise you to read them by order Millennium I, II and III ! I can borrow you the last one, but you must promise you'll read the other two first ;) 

I was so fascinated that I read them in three weeks, with some "blank nights" between hehe !

@wonder The last book is an extension of the second one, I advise you to read them by order Millennium I, II and III ! I can borrow you the last one, but you must promise you'll read the other two first ;) 

I was so fascinated that I read them in three weeks, with some "blank nights" between hehe !

becuz, Jan 19, 2010 @ 14:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

@ Nuno, thanks, I will buy the first two first. Will let you know once I finish reading the first two. Why didn't I learn Portuguese earlier?? 

In case: Anyone got the first two or the first one in English I can borrow immediately? Million thanks in advance. :-)

@ Nuno, thanks, I will buy the first two first. Will let you know once I finish reading the first two. Why didn't I learn Portuguese earlier?? 

In case: Anyone got the first two or the first one in English I can borrow immediately? Million thanks in advance. :-)

wonder, Jan 19, 2010 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

BTW  I've paid 25,70CHF for the last one ! 

BTW  I've paid 25,70CHF for the last one ! 

becuz, Jan 19, 2010 @ 15:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Very nice advice, Nuno!

I devoured the three of them last year already.

I made the mistake to bring the first one on a business trip: I couldn't sleep one single night until I finished it, while I had to work during the day.

The following one had not been translated into Italian yet so I could plan ahead when to read them: I always kept them for periods when I knew I would not need sleep. Smile

Each time I thought "It cannot get better than that" and each time it did.

You NEED to read them in order. And the second one (terrific!) will feel incomplete until you have read the third one.

Let's make it clear: it's light entertainment, investigative books, but extremely well built and told and you will only crave for more (that won't come. The author died soon after writing the third and letting only a handful of preliminary notes for the following one he would have liked to write - and we to read). 

I also give you good news: the films from the trilogy are not the usual Holliwood commercial crap (like Da Vinci Code). They have been coproduced in Sweden.

I only watched the first one and it was very good (even if no film will ever be as good as a book!)

Very nice advice, Nuno!

I devoured the three of them last year already.

I made the mistake to bring the first one on a business trip: I couldn't sleep one single night until I finished it, while I had to work during the day.

The following one had not been translated into Italian yet so I could plan ahead when to read them: I always kept them for periods when I knew I would not need sleep. Smile

Each time I thought "It cannot get better than that" and each time it did.

You NEED to read them in order. And the second one (terrific!) will feel incomplete until you have read the third one.

Let's make it clear: it's light entertainment, investigative books, but extremely well built and told and you will only crave for more (that won't come. The author died soon after writing the third and letting only a handful of preliminary notes for the following one he would have liked to write - and we to read). 

I also give you good news: the films from the trilogy are not the usual Holliwood commercial crap (like Da Vinci Code). They have been coproduced in Sweden.

I only watched the first one and it was very good (even if no film will ever be as good as a book!)

Stef__Granny, Jan 19, 2010 @ 15:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Our daughter-in-law was breast-feeding our grand-daughter with one arm, the other clutching the first Stieg Larsson book! Subsequently whilst we were over in UK at Christmas she loaned the first two books of the trilogy to us, both of which I read in a few days they are so gripping [perhaps a rather sad indictment of Swedish social life?]. Can't wait for our family to come over to Evian again so that she can bring the third one with her, as trying to find them here in France [in English that is] is proving somewhat difficult. If all else fails, we will order them Amazon. OH is deep into the first book as I write.

Our daughter-in-law was breast-feeding our grand-daughter with one arm, the other clutching the first Stieg Larsson book! Subsequently whilst we were over in UK at Christmas she loaned the first two books of the trilogy to us, both of which I read in a few days they are so gripping [perhaps a rather sad indictment of Swedish social life?]. Can't wait for our family to come over to Evian again so that she can bring the third one with her, as trying to find them here in France [in English that is] is proving somewhat difficult. If all else fails, we will order them Amazon. OH is deep into the first book as I write.

sheila c, Jan 19, 2010 @ 16:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

@Stef_Granny How do I understand you we are driven into a almost state of reading trance and can't think other thing but read the next line, Incredible addicting story :D

@sheila c   I'm imagining the scene and laughing like a crazy person, :D 'cause I understand the situation one eye in the baby another in the book lol.

@Stef_Granny How do I understand you we are driven into a almost state of reading trance and can't think other thing but read the next line, Incredible addicting story :D

@sheila c   I'm imagining the scene and laughing like a crazy person, :D 'cause I understand the situation one eye in the baby another in the book lol.

becuz, Jan 19, 2010 @ 17:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

The worst thing about those three books is that we don't know what to read after ! There's life after Millennium trilogy ???? Cry Laughing

I accept suggestions for the next reading !!!

The worst thing about those three books is that we don't know what to read after ! There's life after Millennium trilogy ???? Cry Laughing

I accept suggestions for the next reading !!!

becuz, Jan 19, 2010 @ 18:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

@becuz

Oh you poor baby nothing to read now Laughing

If you liked this trilogy I would highly recomend the Liquor, Poppy Z. Brite's first novel in the liquor novels (another trilogy).

You can read the first chapter online to get convinced. 

http://www.poppyzbrite.com/pdf/liquor_excerpt.pdf

The French translation of this book can be found also in the Geneva library 

@becuz

Oh you poor baby nothing to read now Laughing

If you liked this trilogy I would highly recomend the Liquor, Poppy Z. Brite's first novel in the liquor novels (another trilogy).

You can read the first chapter online to get convinced. 

http://www.poppyzbrite.com/pdf/liquor_excerpt.pdf

The French translation of this book can be found also in the Geneva library 

Yiannis P, Jan 19, 2010 @ 18:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

I also liked them very much!

My girlfriend started the trilogy, and when I barely looked at the 4th of cover I didn't find that so appaling, and i didn't really consider reading it.

then, while she was finishing the second and was still enjoying them a lot, i figured I could start the 1st to see if I like it.

Good thing she doesn't read during the night, because I finished the 3rd during the night like 1 week later, while she was taking the book with her during the day ;)

I also liked them very much!

My girlfriend started the trilogy, and when I barely looked at the 4th of cover I didn't find that so appaling, and i didn't really consider reading it.

then, while she was finishing the second and was still enjoying them a lot, i figured I could start the 1st to see if I like it.

Good thing she doesn't read during the night, because I finished the 3rd during the night like 1 week later, while she was taking the book with her during the day ;)

RemyS, Jan 19, 2010 @ 18:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Another series of three books (same characters but not a triology) you might find interesting is by Peter Speigelman. Best to read in order so you follow the development of the characters. All three books are available from Book Depository.

Black Maps:

"John March walked away from his family's merchant bank for the life of a rural deputy sheriff- a life that would explode in personal tragedy and professional disaster. Three years later, March is back in New York City, working as a private investigator and still running from his grief and guilt. When he takes the case of Rick Pierro, a wealthy investment banker threatened by blackmail, March is swiftly drawn into a web of Wall Street insiders and outcasts, and back to a world he thought he' d left behind. The more he learns about Pierro's connections to a notorious international bank that made billions in blood-money, the darker the terrain becomes. Soon March's own life is in danger, as he follows a trail of blood and shattered lives to a ruthless and depraved extortionist. In this thrilling and intelligent debut, Peter Spiegelman illuminates the dark underside of the financial world and introduces one of the most compelling fictional detectives of the new millennium."

No Way Home (also know as Death's Little Helpers):

"After the slaying of his wife, New York private investigator John March made an uneasy peace with grief and guilt. But his truce came at a price: a life of solitude and rigid self-discipline. It was a hard bargain, but one he was willing to make - until he met Jane Lu. Brilliant and beautiful, Jane offered March a chance at a larger life. But with that hope came a terrible reminder of how fragile happiness can be - Jane was swept up, and nearly swept away, in the violent currents of one of March's jobs. March decided to stay clear of danger from then on, but soon afterwards what seems a cut and dried missing persons case, it becomes something more deadly. There is more than one person looking for the missing man - someone who doesn't want March getting too close,and who will put March, and all he holds dear, in the cross-hairs again.

In this masterful follow-up to Peter Spiegelman's stunning debut "Black Maps," private investigator John March finds himself drawn into a web of corruption that extends from the halls of high finance to the dark underworld of organized crime. Gregory Danes, a Wall Street analyst has gone missing, and his ex-wife, a fashionable painter, calls March to track him down. She just wants him to sign her alimony checks, but as March soon discovers, she's not the only one looking for him. Danes was once an industry hot shot, but has lost his touch. His biggest gains lately, it seems, had been in enemies-including a few members of the Russian mob. When March receives a threat upon his own family, he realizes Danes had been involved in something far more dangerous than insider trading."

Red Cat:

"As a cop, John March once flirted with danger. Then his wife was murdered and his flirtation became full time engagement. Now he is a private investigator in one of the most dangerous places on earth, New York City. He is a loner whose job has destroyed every new attempt at a relationship. The one thing he has promised himself is that he will never mix danger and his private life again. But that's before his brother asks John to warn off the mysterious young woman who is blackmailing him. He knows her only as Wren. Principle identifying mark: a red cat tattoo. And that's before the woman's dead body is pulled out of the East River. People remember John asking questions about Wren. Now he is prime suspect in a homicide case."

"John March (Death's Little Helpers, 2005, etc.) returns to the crime scene in the third installment of an impressive series.This time around, private detective John March is hired by his older brother David, a buttoned-up, power-hungry executive. Happily married, self-righteous David, it turns out, is being blackmailed by a one-night-stand he met through a website designed to broker casual sexual encounters. The situation worsens when the woman is found dead and David becomes a suspect in her murder. The two brothers have never been close, and working together exacerbates their contempt for each other. Indeed, investigating the blackmail scheme leads to uncomfortable truths about how manipulative and damaging siblings can be to one another, for the case hinges on a family nearly as unhappy as John March's. The murdered blackmailer, initially identified only by the tattoo of a red cat, is a young woman using her anonymous tricks to make performance-art films about sexual blackmail. She developed this scheme to quite literally act out her family secrets-just as March's investigation is organized around protecting his. The book's premise is certainly inventive-an old plot of sexual intrigue is nestled within a shiny new plot about techno culture-and John March is a worthy heir to the hardboiled detective. The moral landscape of the minor characters is richly drawn, pulsing with petty evils that call to mind the work of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. John March is perhaps less like Philip Marlowe than he is like Bill Smith, S.J. Rozan's updated Chandleresque detective, but he will doubtless become Smith and Marlowe's peer in the future.Gritty atmosphere and clever plotting enhance a fine addition to the noir tradition. (Kirkus Reviews)"

Another series of three books (same characters but not a triology) you might find interesting is by Peter Speigelman. Best to read in order so you follow the development of the characters. All three books are available from Book Depository.

Black Maps:

"John March walked away from his family's merchant bank for the life of a rural deputy sheriff- a life that would explode in personal tragedy and professional disaster. Three years later, March is back in New York City, working as a private investigator and still running from his grief and guilt. When he takes the case of Rick Pierro, a wealthy investment banker threatened by blackmail, March is swiftly drawn into a web of Wall Street insiders and outcasts, and back to a world he thought he' d left behind. The more he learns about Pierro's connections to a notorious international bank that made billions in blood-money, the darker the terrain becomes. Soon March's own life is in danger, as he follows a trail of blood and shattered lives to a ruthless and depraved extortionist. In this thrilling and intelligent debut, Peter Spiegelman illuminates the dark underside of the financial world and introduces one of the most compelling fictional detectives of the new millennium."

No Way Home (also know as Death's Little Helpers):

"After the slaying of his wife, New York private investigator John March made an uneasy peace with grief and guilt. But his truce came at a price: a life of solitude and rigid self-discipline. It was a hard bargain, but one he was willing to make - until he met Jane Lu. Brilliant and beautiful, Jane offered March a chance at a larger life. But with that hope came a terrible reminder of how fragile happiness can be - Jane was swept up, and nearly swept away, in the violent currents of one of March's jobs. March decided to stay clear of danger from then on, but soon afterwards what seems a cut and dried missing persons case, it becomes something more deadly. There is more than one person looking for the missing man - someone who doesn't want March getting too close,and who will put March, and all he holds dear, in the cross-hairs again.

In this masterful follow-up to Peter Spiegelman's stunning debut "Black Maps," private investigator John March finds himself drawn into a web of corruption that extends from the halls of high finance to the dark underworld of organized crime. Gregory Danes, a Wall Street analyst has gone missing, and his ex-wife, a fashionable painter, calls March to track him down. She just wants him to sign her alimony checks, but as March soon discovers, she's not the only one looking for him. Danes was once an industry hot shot, but has lost his touch. His biggest gains lately, it seems, had been in enemies-including a few members of the Russian mob. When March receives a threat upon his own family, he realizes Danes had been involved in something far more dangerous than insider trading."

Red Cat:

"As a cop, John March once flirted with danger. Then his wife was murdered and his flirtation became full time engagement. Now he is a private investigator in one of the most dangerous places on earth, New York City. He is a loner whose job has destroyed every new attempt at a relationship. The one thing he has promised himself is that he will never mix danger and his private life again. But that's before his brother asks John to warn off the mysterious young woman who is blackmailing him. He knows her only as Wren. Principle identifying mark: a red cat tattoo. And that's before the woman's dead body is pulled out of the East River. People remember John asking questions about Wren. Now he is prime suspect in a homicide case."

"John March (Death's Little Helpers, 2005, etc.) returns to the crime scene in the third installment of an impressive series.This time around, private detective John March is hired by his older brother David, a buttoned-up, power-hungry executive. Happily married, self-righteous David, it turns out, is being blackmailed by a one-night-stand he met through a website designed to broker casual sexual encounters. The situation worsens when the woman is found dead and David becomes a suspect in her murder. The two brothers have never been close, and working together exacerbates their contempt for each other. Indeed, investigating the blackmail scheme leads to uncomfortable truths about how manipulative and damaging siblings can be to one another, for the case hinges on a family nearly as unhappy as John March's. The murdered blackmailer, initially identified only by the tattoo of a red cat, is a young woman using her anonymous tricks to make performance-art films about sexual blackmail. She developed this scheme to quite literally act out her family secrets-just as March's investigation is organized around protecting his. The book's premise is certainly inventive-an old plot of sexual intrigue is nestled within a shiny new plot about techno culture-and John March is a worthy heir to the hardboiled detective. The moral landscape of the minor characters is richly drawn, pulsing with petty evils that call to mind the work of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. John March is perhaps less like Philip Marlowe than he is like Bill Smith, S.J. Rozan's updated Chandleresque detective, but he will doubtless become Smith and Marlowe's peer in the future.Gritty atmosphere and clever plotting enhance a fine addition to the noir tradition. (Kirkus Reviews)"

Verbier, Jan 19, 2010 @ 19:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

@Yiannis P & @Verbier . I was over reacting on Millennium Trilogy, of course, in a matter of fact I have the "Les coups de coeur des bibliothécaires, Hiver 09/10" and I've already seen some interesting things to read ! Anyway, Thanks for the tips I'll surely take a look and probably read it.SmileWink

@Yiannis P & @Verbier . I was over reacting on Millennium Trilogy, of course, in a matter of fact I have the "Les coups de coeur des bibliothécaires, Hiver 09/10" and I've already seen some interesting things to read ! Anyway, Thanks for the tips I'll surely take a look and probably read it.SmileWink

becuz, Jan 19, 2010 @ 23:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Jo Nesbø is also highly recommendable.

Everyone I know who has seen the film gave good feedback on it!

Jo Nesbø is also highly recommendable.

Everyone I know who has seen the film gave good feedback on it!

Caroline K, Jan 20, 2010 @ 07:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Jan 19, 10 09:35

@Nadine, I got all details with amazon.com, so I tried amazon.com, but it is not shipping free. How did you order your books for free shipping? Thanks.

@Nadine, I got all details with amazon.com, so I tried amazon.com, but it is not shipping free. How did you order your books for free shipping? Thanks.

wonder, Jan 20, 2010 @ 08:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

@ wonder.. i ordered them at amazon.de maybe thats why.. it's the german website but you can also buy english books..

http://www.amazon.de/books-englischsprachige-fremdsprachige-b%C3%BCcher/b/ref=sa_menu_eb0/277-2560111-7714957?_encoding=UTF8&node=52044011&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=left-nav-1&pf_rd_r=1HATF0K6FRHH16H3B04M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=218611391&pf_rd_i=301128

try this link and go till the end of the site and then you should see them..if not just send me a message ;)

@ wonder.. i ordered them at amazon.de maybe thats why.. it's the german website but you can also buy english books..

http://www.amazon.de/books-englischsprachige-fremdsprachige-b%C3%BCcher/b/ref=sa_menu_eb0/277-2560111-7714957?_encoding=UTF8&node=52044011&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=left-nav-1&pf_rd_r=1HATF0K6FRHH16H3B04M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=218611391&pf_rd_i=301128

try this link and go till the end of the site and then you should see them..if not just send me a message ;)

Nadine B, Jan 20, 2010 @ 09:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

That's why, thanks Nadine. Smile

That's why, thanks Nadine. Smile

wonder, Jan 20, 2010 @ 09:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

i hope its working now! you're welcome!

i hope its working now! you're welcome!

Nadine B, Jan 20, 2010 @ 09:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Will let you know later. Nice day! :-)

Will let you know later. Nice day! :-)

wonder, Jan 20, 2010 @ 09:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

@Wonder,

Why are you bothering with Amazon Germany when I already told you that you can get free shipping with Book Depository and Play.com

www.bookdepository.co.uk

www.play.com

Both websites are in English. Don't try to complicate things for yourself.Cool

@Wonder,

Why are you bothering with Amazon Germany when I already told you that you can get free shipping with Book Depository and Play.com

www.bookdepository.co.uk

www.play.com

Both websites are in English. Don't try to complicate things for yourself.Cool

Verbier, Jan 20, 2010 @ 10:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

@Verbier, thanks, I am such a lazy person - got all details (credit card no, shipping info etc) already with amazon... Besides, I read some German. Smile 

Yes, indeed, you are right, I might go for play.com which has all three books in stock. I need to check if my credit card actually can pay euros though. 

Cheers

@Verbier, thanks, I am such a lazy person - got all details (credit card no, shipping info etc) already with amazon... Besides, I read some German. Smile 

Yes, indeed, you are right, I might go for play.com which has all three books in stock. I need to check if my credit card actually can pay euros though. 

Cheers

wonder, Jan 20, 2010 @ 10:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

OK, just ordered three of them from play.com. Now cross my fingers for them to arrive ASAP. Looks we, the people on this thread, could sit down over coffee/tea to discuss this trilogy in a few week time.  Smile

OK, just ordered three of them from play.com. Now cross my fingers for them to arrive ASAP. Looks we, the people on this thread, could sit down over coffee/tea to discuss this trilogy in a few week time.  Smile

wonder, Jan 20, 2010 @ 22:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

@wonder

I'm in !! SmileWink

@wonder

I'm in !! SmileWink

becuz, Jan 20, 2010 @ 23:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

Hey, guys, any idea what is going on with playcom? It says the delivery would normally take 3-5 days, but they posted the books on the 25 Jan - almost 10 days. I have never been so eager and frequent to check the mailbox!! 

Hey, guys, any idea what is going on with playcom? It says the delivery would normally take 3-5 days, but they posted the books on the 25 Jan - almost 10 days. I have never been so eager and frequent to check the mailbox!! 

wonder, Feb 4, 2010 @ 11:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

I've read all three too. In the space of about two weeks.  If you're books don't arrive I can lend them to you!!

I've read all three too. In the space of about two weeks.  If you're books don't arrive I can lend them to you!!

Alison O, Feb 4, 2010 @ 12:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

Hi Alison, it is so sweet of you. I just checked the mailbox again - still NO. 

I will give it one more day, that is tomorrow (Friday). If I still do not get it then, I would like to borrow the first one from you. I will send you private message tomorrow. Thanks a lot.

Hi Alison, it is so sweet of you. I just checked the mailbox again - still NO. 

I will give it one more day, that is tomorrow (Friday). If I still do not get it then, I would like to borrow the first one from you. I will send you private message tomorrow. Thanks a lot.

wonder, Feb 4, 2010 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

I hope the family state and his long life girlfriend will resolve all legal matter and publish the 4th book, almost entirely written when he died, its in her computer but as she was lock out by the family to any royalties or earnings from the books .... well you can imagine, a complete mess.

So the book is there waiting for them to find a solution.

lets see

I hope the family state and his long life girlfriend will resolve all legal matter and publish the 4th book, almost entirely written when he died, its in her computer but as she was lock out by the family to any royalties or earnings from the books .... well you can imagine, a complete mess.

So the book is there waiting for them to find a solution.

lets see

Alex G, Feb 4, 2010 @ 17:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

I hope they manage to resolve it quickly, I'm anxious to know how Blomkvist entered Salander's life, she's tuff, man !!! :D

I hope they manage to resolve it quickly, I'm anxious to know how Blomkvist entered Salander's life, she's tuff, man !!! :D

becuz, Feb 4, 2010 @ 18:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
43 Replies | 2306 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form