Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > The last king of Scotland

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
The last king of Scotland
The Last King of Scotland is really good and in a way follows the lines of Blood Diamonds and Lord of War two other great movies that talk about Africa. In the first one you learn what the acronym TIA stands for, and certainly think twice where the diamonds come from when you offer them to your girlfriend. In Lord of War (very cynical, lots of humour) you sadly learn how things work... make sure you are useful to everybody and you will be safe...

Whereas these two are based on facts turned into a movie with fictional characters, The Last King of Scotland tells you the story of the bloody days of Idi Amin's Dada dictatorship. So the main character was real. He seizes power in Uganda in 1970. Partly based on true facts, partly based on myths, partly fictional... the movie is just excellent. Less violent than Blood Diamonds some scenes are hard to watch however... Was Idi Amin Dada sincere when he took power and was then blindsided by the fear of getting killed? Has paranoia turned him into this savage ruthless 'King'? Or was he by nature that cruel?

Whatever the answer, Forest Whitaker is just great...

The movie is based on Giles Foden's novel, so for those who prefered to read you have this option too...

The text you are quoting:
The Last King of Scotland is really good and in a way follows the lines of Blood Diamonds and Lord of War two other great movies that talk about Africa. In the first one you learn what the acronym TIA stands for, and certainly think twice where the diamonds come from when you offer them to your girlfriend. In Lord of War (very cynical, lots of humour) you sadly learn how things work... make sure you are useful to everybody and you will be safe...

Whereas these two are based on facts turned into a movie with fictional characters, The Last King of Scotland tells you the story of the bloody days of Idi Amin's Dada dictatorship. So the main character was real. He seizes power in Uganda in 1970. Partly based on true facts, partly based on myths, partly fictional... the movie is just excellent. Less violent than Blood Diamonds some scenes are hard to watch however... Was Idi Amin Dada sincere when he took power and was then blindsided by the fear of getting killed? Has paranoia turned him into this savage ruthless 'King'? Or was he by nature that cruel?

Whatever the answer, Forest Whitaker is just great...

The movie is based on Giles Foden's novel, so for those who prefered to read you have this option too...

inmoodforMar 30, 2007 @ 01:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 912 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: The last king of Scotland
Post 1
I really enjoyed the The Kast King of Scotland, saw it twice but went out both times with a little insatisfaction. It had the potential to be a real masterpiece, Apocalypse Now’s like, but it isn’t one, it’s just a very good movie. The director seems to hesitate between various options : an exploration of Amin, an action movie (second part) and a Graham Greenesque story of a naive scotish guy caught in something too big for him. None of them is fully exploited. The character of the scottish md lacks a little bit of intensity. Forrester’s acting is absolutely amazing, but the movie doesn’t tell us much about how or why Amin becomes a monster. The way the hero escapes is a little bit too hollywoodesque for me, I can’t really buy it.
Yet, the movie has amazing qualities. I worked in Africa, and usually, when I see western movies taking place there, it just doesn’t taste true – Lord of the War is an example. Here, you realy feel Africa as it is. And finally, I’d be happy to see it a third time...
The text you are quoting:
I really enjoyed the The Kast King of Scotland, saw it twice but went out both times with a little insatisfaction. It had the potential to be a real masterpiece, Apocalypse Now’s like, but it isn’t one, it’s just a very good movie. The director seems to hesitate between various options : an exploration of Amin, an action movie (second part) and a Graham Greenesque story of a naive scotish guy caught in something too big for him. None of them is fully exploited. The character of the scottish md lacks a little bit of intensity. Forrester’s acting is absolutely amazing, but the movie doesn’t tell us much about how or why Amin becomes a monster. The way the hero escapes is a little bit too hollywoodesque for me, I can’t really buy it.
Yet, the movie has amazing qualities. I worked in Africa, and usually, when I see western movies taking place there, it just doesn’t taste true – Lord of the War is an example. Here, you realy feel Africa as it is. And finally, I’d be happy to see it a third time...

Bustan_A, Mar 31, 2007 @ 11:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 912 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form