Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Two great books....
I just read two excellent novels, so I thought I'd share:
1. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell -- The book is written unlike any other book I've ever read. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll stop there.
2. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenedies -- about a girl who turns out to be a hermaphrodite and then ends up living as a man (you learn all of this on page 1, so I'm not spoiling anything). Very well-written and fascinating backstory to how all of this came to be.
I couldn't put either one of these down. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
The text you are quoting:
I just read two excellent novels, so I thought I'd share:
1. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell -- The book is written unlike any other book I've ever read. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll stop there.
2. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenedies -- about a girl who turns out to be a hermaphrodite and then ends up living as a man (you learn all of this on page 1, so I'm not spoiling anything). Very well-written and fascinating backstory to how all of this came to be.
I couldn't put either one of these down. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
tiffanyJan 9, 2006 @ 16:11
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1363 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Two great books....
Post 1
Sounds great from what you say.

In return for your advice, I'd recommend one too:

Choke, by Chuck Palahniuk (guy who wrote Fight Club). Very amusing in a realistic way, with clear analogies to our everyday life. Talks about a loser who pretends he is choking at restos, and when people 'save his life' he gets them to 'adopt' him finnancially.

If you want to borrow it from me, no probs.
Sounds great from what you say.

In return for your advice, I'd recommend one too:

Choke, by Chuck Palahniuk (guy who wrote Fight Club). Very amusing in a realistic way, with clear analogies to our everyday life. Talks about a loser who pretends he is choking at restos, and when people 'save his life' he gets them to 'adopt' him finnancially.

If you want to borrow it from me, no probs.
Nir Ofek, Jan 9, 2006 @ 16:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Totally agree. Went out and bought his two earlier books. Ghostwritten is also superb. In some ways, I think that it is even better than Cloud Atlas, but perhaps it's because I was familiar with his style. I like how there were common characters as well. Nice little thrill.

I have Number9Dream on my shelf at home, but I've been saving it for when I have time to enjoy it and treat myself.
Totally agree. Went out and bought his two earlier books. Ghostwritten is also superb. In some ways, I think that it is even better than Cloud Atlas, but perhaps it's because I was familiar with his style. I like how there were common characters as well. Nice little thrill.

I have Number9Dream on my shelf at home, but I've been saving it for when I have time to enjoy it and treat myself.
misskate, Jan 10, 2006 @ 19:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Hi, I read Cloud Atlas last year and think it was great. Really gripping, thoroughly recommended.
Hi, I read Cloud Atlas last year and think it was great. Really gripping, thoroughly recommended.
sarahminchin, Jan 11, 2006 @ 16:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
or at least what genre is it...
or at least what genre is it...
Nir Ofek, Jan 12, 2006 @ 15:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Not quite short story, but not quite not... It's six tangentially related stories, but it's the construction of it and the language and the stories themselves that make it one of the bext I've read in a long, long time!

The first section may be tough to plow through, but do it. Keep going until you get to the end.
Not quite short story, but not quite not... It's six tangentially related stories, but it's the construction of it and the language and the stories themselves that make it one of the bext I've read in a long, long time!

The first section may be tough to plow through, but do it. Keep going until you get to the end.
misskate, Jan 12, 2006 @ 17:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1363 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form