Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > A newcomer to Geneva (from Russia)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
A newcomer to Geneva (from Russia)

Hello everyone! My name is Zoya Andreeva, I am from Russia. I am about to start working for the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO). The date of my entry on duty is 4th October (the contract is for 2 years). I am really excited about upcoming 2 yesrs in Geneva!!!

I have a couple of questions related to the residence permit (type B) and renting accommodation. I would be very grateful if you could help me.

Do I understand correctly that I need to find temporary accommodation for the first time from my country (for example, to book a room via airbnb) and then find a flat for rent on the residential lease contract in Geneva (so it is not possible to do it from my country without seeing the place)?
I am expected to apply for the residence permit within 14 days upon my arrival. Can I submit the temporary address I will be staying for the first time (without the residential lease contract)? In this case, what can be used as a proof of my residence if I do not have a contract yet?
What documents should I submit to rent a flat? Do I need to have a guarantor to rent a flat?
To apply documents to get the permanent residence permit (type B) at the local cantonal population and migration office (OCPM): what kind of documents do I need?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and advice!

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone! My name is Zoya Andreeva, I am from Russia. I am about to start working for the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO). The date of my entry on duty is 4th October (the contract is for 2 years). I am really excited about upcoming 2 yesrs in Geneva!!!

I have a couple of questions related to the residence permit (type B) and renting accommodation. I would be very grateful if you could help me.

Do I understand correctly that I need to find temporary accommodation for the first time from my country (for example, to book a room via airbnb) and then find a flat for rent on the residential lease contract in Geneva (so it is not possible to do it from my country without seeing the place)?
I am expected to apply for the residence permit within 14 days upon my arrival. Can I submit the temporary address I will be staying for the first time (without the residential lease contract)? In this case, what can be used as a proof of my residence if I do not have a contract yet?
What documents should I submit to rent a flat? Do I need to have a guarantor to rent a flat?
To apply documents to get the permanent residence permit (type B) at the local cantonal population and migration office (OCPM): what kind of documents do I need?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and advice!

Zoya AndreevaAug 10, 2021 @ 17:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1493 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: A newcomer to Geneva (from Russia)
Post 1

Hi Zoya,

Congratulations on your new job and new adventure in Geneva!

It is a good idea to first get temporary accomodation and look for a flat once you are here. A contract is usually for a whole year which gets renewed if not cancelled 3 months before expiry. You really need to see what you get to make a good choice.

For most apartments you need a "dossier" with basic personal data and a few attachments:

* "Attestation de non-poursuite" certifying that no legal proceedings are pending against you
* Certificate of employment or work contract from your employer
* Payment slips of the last 3 months (of course this does not apply to you as the contract is new, but then it must be covered by certificate, they should spell out the salary and benefits)
* Copy of your residence permit and I think also your Russian passport

Most of the time in Geneva, there is a rental agency (régie) in charge, and they will also have a form for the basic data they want.

For the work permit, it is normally up to your employer to arrange everything even before you arrive. It's true that you also have to go to the immigration office yourself, but it should not be a problem if you do not have a permanent address at that time, yet. The important thing is really that you have a job already.

Sven

Hi Zoya,

Congratulations on your new job and new adventure in Geneva!

It is a good idea to first get temporary accomodation and look for a flat once you are here. A contract is usually for a whole year which gets renewed if not cancelled 3 months before expiry. You really need to see what you get to make a good choice.

For most apartments you need a "dossier" with basic personal data and a few attachments:

* "Attestation de non-poursuite" certifying that no legal proceedings are pending against you
* Certificate of employment or work contract from your employer
* Payment slips of the last 3 months (of course this does not apply to you as the contract is new, but then it must be covered by certificate, they should spell out the salary and benefits)
* Copy of your residence permit and I think also your Russian passport

Most of the time in Geneva, there is a rental agency (régie) in charge, and they will also have a form for the basic data they want.

For the work permit, it is normally up to your employer to arrange everything even before you arrive. It's true that you also have to go to the immigration office yourself, but it should not be a problem if you do not have a permanent address at that time, yet. The important thing is really that you have a job already.

Sven

Sven T, Aug 12, 2021 @ 12:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Sven,

Thank you very much for your answer and useful information!

Kind regards,

Zoya

Hi Sven,

Thank you very much for your answer and useful information!

Kind regards,

Zoya

Zoya Andreeva, Aug 13, 2021 @ 08:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

To Sven:

Zoya is coming to work for the WMO so the registration formalities after her arrival will be processed by HR at WMO.  This also means that she will have a CdL.

To Zoya:

I would also like to suggest that you bring a few copies of your Russian passport with you to save time and hassle should you ever need them here.

Best, R.

To Sven:

Zoya is coming to work for the WMO so the registration formalities after her arrival will be processed by HR at WMO.  This also means that she will have a CdL.

To Zoya:

I would also like to suggest that you bring a few copies of your Russian passport with you to save time and hassle should you ever need them here.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Aug 13, 2021 @ 12:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Sven,

I was looking for obtaining the "Non prosecution certificate" (https://www.ge.ch/poursuites/demander-extrait-du-registre-poursuites) as I was recommended by my colleage at WMO to make a non-prosecution record request in advance. 

It is said that "Si vous êtes une personne physique, préparez une copie de votre pièce d'identité et la preuve de votre intérêt juridique."

I cannot figure out what the "proof of your legal interest" can mean (as I am expected to attach it to my online request)? Thank you very much if you could help me?!

Hi Sven,

I was looking for obtaining the "Non prosecution certificate" (https://www.ge.ch/poursuites/demander-extrait-du-registre-poursuites) as I was recommended by my colleage at WMO to make a non-prosecution record request in advance. 

It is said that "Si vous êtes une personne physique, préparez une copie de votre pièce d'identité et la preuve de votre intérêt juridique."

I cannot figure out what the "proof of your legal interest" can mean (as I am expected to attach it to my online request)? Thank you very much if you could help me?!

Zoya Andreeva, Aug 13, 2021 @ 14:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Sven,

Aug 13, 21 14:26

Please check your Inbox for a p.m.

R.

Please check your Inbox for a p.m.

R.

Ritchie, Aug 13, 2021 @ 16:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Здравствуйте!

The copy of your passport or ID card is sufficient.

Здравствуйте!

The copy of your passport or ID card is sufficient.

Sebastien Chazaud, Aug 13, 2021 @ 19:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

when i came i had to sublet through airbnb to find a proper accomodation. 

finding an apartment is really difficult if you were to do it alone. Best is to ask HR to help you with the accomodation since they are asking to relocate. 

Another option is to look through Facebook marketplace - to sublet an apartment for some period (3 months ideally for regie and then you would have all necessary qualifications for your application to go through . Have in mind - for regie to qualify you, your salary should. be 3 times more than the rent 

when i came i had to sublet through airbnb to find a proper accomodation. 

finding an apartment is really difficult if you were to do it alone. Best is to ask HR to help you with the accomodation since they are asking to relocate. 

Another option is to look through Facebook marketplace - to sublet an apartment for some period (3 months ideally for regie and then you would have all necessary qualifications for your application to go through . Have in mind - for regie to qualify you, your salary should. be 3 times more than the rent 

George D, Oct 2, 2021 @ 13:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

As suggested by more than one contributor to this thread, enlist the help of WMO’s HR staff.  Not only is it part of their brief to know the local ropes, many of them will be expats themselves and know how a newcomer can feel.  Equally, many of the ads shown under the glocals “Housing offered” tab are posted by expats who were once newcomers themselves and they will give you a good idea of what’s available and its cost.

If you’d also like to find compatriots, click on the “Members” and “Groups” tabs.  This is a great way to touch base with folk who’ve also known what it’s like to be new on the block.

All the best,

Ritchie

As suggested by more than one contributor to this thread, enlist the help of WMO’s HR staff.  Not only is it part of their brief to know the local ropes, many of them will be expats themselves and know how a newcomer can feel.  Equally, many of the ads shown under the glocals “Housing offered” tab are posted by expats who were once newcomers themselves and they will give you a good idea of what’s available and its cost.

If you’d also like to find compatriots, click on the “Members” and “Groups” tabs.  This is a great way to touch base with folk who’ve also known what it’s like to be new on the block.

All the best,

Ritchie

Ritchie, Oct 2, 2021 @ 16:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1493 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form