Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > "Abmeldung" in the UK

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
"Abmeldung" in the UK

Hello everyone, my name is Kat and I'm a Polish national who's been living in the UK for a few years. I'm planning to move to Switzerland soon but I got stuck with some paperwork - "Abmeldebescheinigung". Since there's no such thing as registration or deregistration in the UK, does anyone know where I obtain a document that will do for the Swiss authorities? Is there anyone who moved from the UK to Switzerland and has been through all the bureaucratic jungle? Thank you in advance!

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone, my name is Kat and I'm a Polish national who's been living in the UK for a few years. I'm planning to move to Switzerland soon but I got stuck with some paperwork - "Abmeldebescheinigung". Since there's no such thing as registration or deregistration in the UK, does anyone know where I obtain a document that will do for the Swiss authorities? Is there anyone who moved from the UK to Switzerland and has been through all the bureaucratic jungle? Thank you in advance!

Kat AFeb 14, 2023 @ 17:32
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 528 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: "Abmeldung" in the UK
Post 1

Why not ask the Polish Consulate in Bern if they can help.

All the best, R.

Why not ask the Polish Consulate in Bern if they can help.

All the best, R.

Ritchie, Feb 14, 2023 @ 21:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks for your advice Ritchie. I asked the Swiss consulate in London and they didn't help. I'm not sure how a Polish consulate would know about the British procedures? I was hoping to get an answer from someone who's moved from one country to another. But thank you.

Thanks for your advice Ritchie. I asked the Swiss consulate in London and they didn't help. I'm not sure how a Polish consulate would know about the British procedures? I was hoping to get an answer from someone who's moved from one country to another. But thank you.

Kat A, Feb 14, 2023 @ 21:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Feb 14, 23 21:36

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ritchie, Feb 14, 2023 @ 22:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Kat,

Not all municipal offices ask for such a document, see e.g. Zurich https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/prd/de/index/bevoelkerungsamt/umziehenmelden/zuzug.html.

Probably a personal visit to the desk of the municipality where you live would allow you to explain.

Best regards,

Andre

[email protected]

Hi Kat,

Not all municipal offices ask for such a document, see e.g. Zurich https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/prd/de/index/bevoelkerungsamt/umziehenmelden/zuzug.html.

Probably a personal visit to the desk of the municipality where you live would allow you to explain.

Best regards,

Andre

[email protected]

André Graf, Feb 20, 2023 @ 10:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi André, thank you for your comment. I've seen online that a deregistration document is needed already at the border when moving personal belongings from abroad. A lady from the Uri kanton immigration office didn't really know what my enquiry was about. So indeed, not every municipality needs it apparently. But what about the border control? And still, I don't know where to obtain it. No office in the UK I've got in touch so far understood what I wanted from them.

Hi André, thank you for your comment. I've seen online that a deregistration document is needed already at the border when moving personal belongings from abroad. A lady from the Uri kanton immigration office didn't really know what my enquiry was about. So indeed, not every municipality needs it apparently. But what about the border control? And still, I don't know where to obtain it. No office in the UK I've got in touch so far understood what I wanted from them.

Kat A, Feb 21, 2023 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Are you crossing the border into Switzerland by car?  If so, perhaps the Touring Club Suisse might be able to give some advice/guidance.

Best, R.

Are you crossing the border into Switzerland by car?  If so, perhaps the Touring Club Suisse might be able to give some advice/guidance.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Feb 21, 2023 @ 18:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thank you, I will ask there too!

Thank you, I will ask there too!

Kat A, Feb 21, 2023 @ 22:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Kat,

I suggest you contacting the Federal Office for Customs and Border Securitywith your question directly by means of the contact form https://www.kontakt-formular.bazg.admin.ch/home. Probably you can even do it in English.

Best regards,

Andre

[email protected]

Hi Kat,

I suggest you contacting the Federal Office for Customs and Border Securitywith your question directly by means of the contact form https://www.kontakt-formular.bazg.admin.ch/home. Probably you can even do it in English.

Best regards,

Andre

[email protected]

André Graf, Feb 27, 2023 @ 09:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hello André,

Thank you for the advice. I'll keep the link. I keep asking whenever I can as I've just found out recently, people who ever moved from the UK never had any document of this kind. What they had when moving was an Anmeldung from the Gemeinde in Switzerland. So it looks like I probably couldn't move with my goods right away as first I'd need to be "angemeldet". Even if it wasn't this case, it's okay for me as my stuff is going to arrive first when I've more or less settled. I've been advised to talk to someone from the local Gemeinde and not immigration offices. Not sure whether these institutions are connected or acting independently but for now I've got my answer. Thank you nevertheless for trying to help. That's much appreciated! :)))

Hello André,

Thank you for the advice. I'll keep the link. I keep asking whenever I can as I've just found out recently, people who ever moved from the UK never had any document of this kind. What they had when moving was an Anmeldung from the Gemeinde in Switzerland. So it looks like I probably couldn't move with my goods right away as first I'd need to be "angemeldet". Even if it wasn't this case, it's okay for me as my stuff is going to arrive first when I've more or less settled. I've been advised to talk to someone from the local Gemeinde and not immigration offices. Not sure whether these institutions are connected or acting independently but for now I've got my answer. Thank you nevertheless for trying to help. That's much appreciated! :)))

Kat A, Feb 27, 2023 @ 10:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 528 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form