Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.
Here goes - I'm a Canadian teaching at a high school here in Neuchatel, Switzerland (I know, not really Geneva, but I’m only an hour or so away by train). I've lived and traveled in quite a few places, and have succeeded in humiliating myself, in some form or another, in nearly all of them.

I'm a pretty avid photographer, read a lot, enjoy mountain biking, nature, travel. I've been told I can hold my end in a conversation (despite the lame effort I am displaying here), and enjoy a good laugh (who doesn't I suppose). I'm a laid back, easy going type of guy who finds, more often than not, the way to deal with the curveballs life can throw at you is to laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Why should you get to know me? Well, I guarantee if you ever need a useless fact, or a story about why you shouldn't play poker while drinking a drugged coke with a bi-sexual Thai gem dealer in Bali, then I'm your man.

What am I looking for? People to have a coffee and a laugh with. People interested in travel and new experiences. People who read would be nice. Getting out, having some fun, intelligent conversation. It's not incredibly easy to meet new people in Switzerland, especially with the quality of my French (improving, but still a source of fear among unsuspecting francophones), so I'm simply interested in adding some new friendships. Come on, let's be friends. You know you want to. All the cool kids are doing it.

Je parle Francais un peu. Il n'est pas bon Fran?ais, mais j'essaye, et continue ? apprendre. Si vous ?tes patient, vous me comprendrez.
The text you are quoting:
Here goes - I'm a Canadian teaching at a high school here in Neuchatel, Switzerland (I know, not really Geneva, but I’m only an hour or so away by train). I've lived and traveled in quite a few places, and have succeeded in humiliating myself, in some form or another, in nearly all of them.

I'm a pretty avid photographer, read a lot, enjoy mountain biking, nature, travel. I've been told I can hold my end in a conversation (despite the lame effort I am displaying here), and enjoy a good laugh (who doesn't I suppose). I'm a laid back, easy going type of guy who finds, more often than not, the way to deal with the curveballs life can throw at you is to laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Why should you get to know me? Well, I guarantee if you ever need a useless fact, or a story about why you shouldn't play poker while drinking a drugged coke with a bi-sexual Thai gem dealer in Bali, then I'm your man.

What am I looking for? People to have a coffee and a laugh with. People interested in travel and new experiences. People who read would be nice. Getting out, having some fun, intelligent conversation. It's not incredibly easy to meet new people in Switzerland, especially with the quality of my French (improving, but still a source of fear among unsuspecting francophones), so I'm simply interested in adding some new friendships. Come on, let's be friends. You know you want to. All the cool kids are doing it.

Je parle Francais un peu. Il n'est pas bon Fran?ais, mais j'essaye, et continue ? apprendre. Si vous ?tes patient, vous me comprendrez.

djchurchMar 28, 2006 @ 14:22
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1283 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.
Post 1
Hey djchurch,

Great intro. Sounds like you have some interesting travelling stories- looking forward to hearing about your Bali adventures at a GOL event in the very near future.

Cheers, and welcome to GOL!

Broghan
Hey djchurch,

Great intro. Sounds like you have some interesting travelling stories- looking forward to hearing about your Bali adventures at a GOL event in the very near future.

Cheers, and welcome to GOL!

Broghan
Brogsta, Mar 28, 2006 @ 22:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
welcome to GoL mate. You've come to the right place.

I loved your intro headline, about being unique like everyone else.

I also saw you're a photographer - how about helping us take pics on the April 8 GoL party?

Welcome to the community,

Nir
welcome to GoL mate. You've come to the right place.

I loved your intro headline, about being unique like everyone else.

I also saw you're a photographer - how about helping us take pics on the April 8 GoL party?

Welcome to the community,

Nir

Nir Ofek, Mar 31, 2006 @ 20:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
but unfortunately, I leave this Thursday for 12 days to Italy and Greece. The school I teach at has an incredible travel program, so I'm on the road a lot. I just got back a week ago from a week in Russia (St. Petersburg area), and I'm gone again this week for almost two weeks. This is the biggest spring trip, so it should settle down a bit after that.
As for photography, I'm strictly an amateur, but if you make the mistake of letting me show you some photos, I hope you pick a comfortable chair - it'll be a while.
I have to say, a good friend of mine just moved from Geneva to Washington DC earlier this month, and I was wondering if I would find any more reasons other than easyjet to come to Geneva. Now I see reasons for almost everyday of the week!! Well done to everyone with this website. This is definitely the most friendly and extensive "expat"/"social club"/"home for moral degenerates" I’ve ever seen! Congratulations! (ok - too many exclamation marks - time to go).

DJ
but unfortunately, I leave this Thursday for 12 days to Italy and Greece. The school I teach at has an incredible travel program, so I'm on the road a lot. I just got back a week ago from a week in Russia (St. Petersburg area), and I'm gone again this week for almost two weeks. This is the biggest spring trip, so it should settle down a bit after that.
As for photography, I'm strictly an amateur, but if you make the mistake of letting me show you some photos, I hope you pick a comfortable chair - it'll be a while.
I have to say, a good friend of mine just moved from Geneva to Washington DC earlier this month, and I was wondering if I would find any more reasons other than easyjet to come to Geneva. Now I see reasons for almost everyday of the week!! Well done to everyone with this website. This is definitely the most friendly and extensive "expat"/"social club"/"home for moral degenerates" I’ve ever seen! Congratulations! (ok - too many exclamation marks - time to go).

DJ

djchurch, Apr 1, 2006 @ 22:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1283 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form