Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Arrived in Geneva just before lockdown, short intro for the group

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Arrived in Geneva just before lockdown, short intro for the group

Hello everyone, I arrived in Geneva just before the last lockdown so have not (understandably) had very much luck meeting new people.  So this is just my introduction.  I look forward to meeting people (virtually) until we get past this pandemic.  Right now, my hobbies include running outdoors and am training for a 50k trail race next year,. I just started.   I speak French and some Arabic but am always looking for ways to practice both.  I will never turn down the chance for a good meal at a new restaurant or to try new foods or drinks.   Although, I am posting here, I follow cyber security and personal privacy issues online.  I am also fascinated by block chain and virtual currencies.  I am learning to code using python.  I enjoy reading history, biographies, and some fantasy as well.  I’m happy to have found this site and look forward to meeting some of the welcoming people who have been here a while.  Bientot 

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone, I arrived in Geneva just before the last lockdown so have not (understandably) had very much luck meeting new people.  So this is just my introduction.  I look forward to meeting people (virtually) until we get past this pandemic.  Right now, my hobbies include running outdoors and am training for a 50k trail race next year,. I just started.   I speak French and some Arabic but am always looking for ways to practice both.  I will never turn down the chance for a good meal at a new restaurant or to try new foods or drinks.   Although, I am posting here, I follow cyber security and personal privacy issues online.  I am also fascinated by block chain and virtual currencies.  I am learning to code using python.  I enjoy reading history, biographies, and some fantasy as well.  I’m happy to have found this site and look forward to meeting some of the welcoming people who have been here a while.  Bientot 

Matt WDec 8, 2020 @ 17:42
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1037 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Arrived in Geneva just before lockdown, short intro for the group
Post 1

Hi Matt. Welcome to Geneva! Interestingly, I am in the same boat as you and relocated here around the start of the lockdown. I've been in the proces of settling in through the Christmas break and am in the thick of apartment hunting and trying to make new friends/connections, neither of which are particularly easy during the pandemic indeed! 

Anyhow, I just wanted to say hello to you and to fellow glocal members. Happy to have joined this community and I look forward to connecting with many of you (virtually and/ or in person) in the coming weeks and months!

Shal

Hi Matt. Welcome to Geneva! Interestingly, I am in the same boat as you and relocated here around the start of the lockdown. I've been in the proces of settling in through the Christmas break and am in the thick of apartment hunting and trying to make new friends/connections, neither of which are particularly easy during the pandemic indeed! 

Anyhow, I just wanted to say hello to you and to fellow glocal members. Happy to have joined this community and I look forward to connecting with many of you (virtually and/ or in person) in the coming weeks and months!

Shal

Shalinee Basak, Jan 10, 2021 @ 14:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Shal

Jan 10, 21 14:00

Hey Shalinee, 

Sorry for the delayed response, and thank your for the thoughtful reply. I hope you have settled in somewhat by now and have had a chance get to know the area.  I have had some luck in that area recently myself.  If you are still apartment hunting PM me and we can exchange contact info.  I may be able to introduce you to some folks who can help.  In anycase, good luck!

Hey Shalinee, 

Sorry for the delayed response, and thank your for the thoughtful reply. I hope you have settled in somewhat by now and have had a chance get to know the area.  I have had some luck in that area recently myself.  If you are still apartment hunting PM me and we can exchange contact info.  I may be able to introduce you to some folks who can help.  In anycase, good luck!

Matt W, Jan 17, 2021 @ 20:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Welcome to both Matt and Shalinee ! 

It is indeed a difficult time for newcomers to meet local folk and make new friends.

However, you could start by checking the site’s activity groups and also the Members tab.  Despite the embargoes, there’s still enough going on that could help to furnish your diaries.

The Classifieds are also a good way to find accommodation.

The situation will get better and then you’ll be spoilt for choice.

Meantime, all the best,

Ritchie

Welcome to both Matt and Shalinee ! 

It is indeed a difficult time for newcomers to meet local folk and make new friends.

However, you could start by checking the site’s activity groups and also the Members tab.  Despite the embargoes, there’s still enough going on that could help to furnish your diaries.

The Classifieds are also a good way to find accommodation.

The situation will get better and then you’ll be spoilt for choice.

Meantime, all the best,

Ritchie

Ritchie, Jan 17, 2021 @ 20:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Guys,

I just saw the messages.

I am Ifigeneia I am greek and I have a dog but durring Covid times it has been very tricky to meet people...

For me weekends were the worst when I first came here. How about a nice walk on the weekend?

Kind regards

Ifigeneia

Hi Guys,

I just saw the messages.

I am Ifigeneia I am greek and I have a dog but durring Covid times it has been very tricky to meet people...

For me weekends were the worst when I first came here. How about a nice walk on the weekend?

Kind regards

Ifigeneia

Ifigeneia Pantoulia, Jan 19, 2021 @ 14:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the encouraging words. Really appreciate it! @Ritchie and @Matt, I am settling in well, thanks and have also managed to find a flat now. 

@Ifigeneia - I'd very much be up for a walk at the weekend. I'll PM you with my details and we can fix this up. By the way, I LOVE dogs so if you ever need a dog-walker, dog-sitter etc. please count on me :)

Shal

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the encouraging words. Really appreciate it! @Ritchie and @Matt, I am settling in well, thanks and have also managed to find a flat now. 

@Ifigeneia - I'd very much be up for a walk at the weekend. I'll PM you with my details and we can fix this up. By the way, I LOVE dogs so if you ever need a dog-walker, dog-sitter etc. please count on me :)

Shal

Shalinee Basak, Jan 19, 2021 @ 19:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hello, I am new the Geneva as well. i am a master student. looking to meet new people. you can message me if interested

Hello, I am new the Geneva as well. i am a master student. looking to meet new people. you can message me if interested

Beatrice Hemeson, Jan 20, 2021 @ 02:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hello to everyone,

I am Spanish and have been here for a while, but it is always good to meet new people, especially in this complicated Covid time. So I will be willing to join you for any activity, such as a walk or running or other! I speak Spanish, English, French and some German.

Good luck with the appartment search, it is a difficult task to find a flat in Geneva, but I have heard that now there are more places available in the city, so hopefully you may find something, bon courage! :)

Cheers,

Alvaro

Hello to everyone,

I am Spanish and have been here for a while, but it is always good to meet new people, especially in this complicated Covid time. So I will be willing to join you for any activity, such as a walk or running or other! I speak Spanish, English, French and some German.

Good luck with the appartment search, it is a difficult task to find a flat in Geneva, but I have heard that now there are more places available in the city, so hopefully you may find something, bon courage! :)

Cheers,

Alvaro

alvaro de vega, Feb 7, 2021 @ 10:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1037 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form