Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Belgian in wonderland

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Belgian in wonderland
Hello Guys and Girls!

I´m Jan a Belgian guy of 27 who arrived a few months ago in Geneva and must say I absolutely love it; got a great job with great colleagues and have been really busy exploring Geneva area and Skiiiiing ( God... what a luxury just to step in your car and be skiing an hour later in the best ski stations in Europe).
Actually live in France and like it a lot as well, got great neighbours!

Now that the dust is settling though, I notice that one promise I made myself did not quite get fulfilled, namely getting in contact with loads of interesting and friendly international people! Thought Geneva was supposed to be brimming with them!
Are you guys all camouflaged or what?, because have seen very little of you when going out! ;-)

Anyway, about myself;
love travel, skiing, good food and good beer in pleasurable company.
Lived a while in Spain as well (Madrid and Tarragona); really miss the food and especially the people.
(Hay gente Espanola o Latina aqui? Me gusteria conocerles! la verdad es que me falta mucha las salidas de noche en Espana con gente sympathica y alegre que sabe aprobechar bien de la vida! Puede ser mi imaginacion pero los Suizos me parecen un poco frios socialmente)

On my wishlist for spring is to make some long weekend explorations with my car into Italy, if people like to join and share costs that would be great!

Looking forward to getting to know all of you, you seem like a great bunch!

Jan.

The text you are quoting:
Hello Guys and Girls!

I´m Jan a Belgian guy of 27 who arrived a few months ago in Geneva and must say I absolutely love it; got a great job with great colleagues and have been really busy exploring Geneva area and Skiiiiing ( God... what a luxury just to step in your car and be skiing an hour later in the best ski stations in Europe).
Actually live in France and like it a lot as well, got great neighbours!

Now that the dust is settling though, I notice that one promise I made myself did not quite get fulfilled, namely getting in contact with loads of interesting and friendly international people! Thought Geneva was supposed to be brimming with them!
Are you guys all camouflaged or what?, because have seen very little of you when going out! ;-)

Anyway, about myself;
love travel, skiing, good food and good beer in pleasurable company.
Lived a while in Spain as well (Madrid and Tarragona); really miss the food and especially the people.
(Hay gente Espanola o Latina aqui? Me gusteria conocerles! la verdad es que me falta mucha las salidas de noche en Espana con gente sympathica y alegre que sabe aprobechar bien de la vida! Puede ser mi imaginacion pero los Suizos me parecen un poco frios socialmente)

On my wishlist for spring is to make some long weekend explorations with my car into Italy, if people like to join and share costs that would be great!

Looking forward to getting to know all of you, you seem like a great bunch!

Jan.

JanElViajeroMar 2, 2006 @ 01:34
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1426 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Belgian in wonderland
Post 1
You have found a great group of people to get mixed up with. Well done. So who do you work for, and are you French or Flemish Belgian?
Come out to an activity with us ASAP!
You have found a great group of people to get mixed up with. Well done. So who do you work for, and are you French or Flemish Belgian?
Come out to an activity with us ASAP!
Jillybeano, Mar 2, 2006 @ 11:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Hola...me gusta esto..2 respuestas en espanhol !!! Bienvenido.

Back to english...I'm actually having a hard time meeting Swiss people...so you can count yourself lucky!
Hola...me gusta esto..2 respuestas en espanhol !!! Bienvenido.

Back to english...I'm actually having a hard time meeting Swiss people...so you can count yourself lucky!
Sole, Mar 2, 2006 @ 11:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Thanks for the welcome!

I am actually Flemish although abroad I consider myself Belgian first and don´t really mind about that silly
Flanders/ Wallonia business.
I m not bashful to admit that I´m Belgian, I think we have a great little country but we are to modest to say so.
You´ll find out I try to compensate for that ;-) ,although I´m the first to admit we are also second to none
when it comes to stupid goverment and idotical politics together with a ridiculous tax system,
but thats something to banter about over a good (Belgian) beer on a warm terrace (only a few more months..)

so what kind of activities are going on?

Myself I´m pretty dedicated to skiing these last months, (guess I´m not the only one here )
I joined a SCIG trip once, which I quite liked but since then always found comapny to go sking so I only went once.

Thanks for the welcome!

I am actually Flemish although abroad I consider myself Belgian first and don´t really mind about that silly
Flanders/ Wallonia business.
I m not bashful to admit that I´m Belgian, I think we have a great little country but we are to modest to say so.
You´ll find out I try to compensate for that ;-) ,although I´m the first to admit we are also second to none
when it comes to stupid goverment and idotical politics together with a ridiculous tax system,
but thats something to banter about over a good (Belgian) beer on a warm terrace (only a few more months..)

so what kind of activities are going on?

Myself I´m pretty dedicated to skiing these last months, (guess I´m not the only one here )
I joined a SCIG trip once, which I quite liked but since then always found comapny to go sking so I only went once.

JanElViajero, Mar 2, 2006 @ 21:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hola Sole,

Con mucho gusot! Si me alegro que hay hispanohablantes aqui, es algo que me falta mucho. Me encanta el Espanol y los Espanoles y Latinos; los encuentro mucho mas alegres que nosotros "Nordicos" Es decir todo por encima de Paris :)

Back to English I guess;
well about the meeting Swiss people, didn´t actually meet, talked to quite a few, in daily life; but remains polite and superficial and you don´t really connect. Some collegues are Swiss and quite nice though. So I guess it depends on context; maybe the average Swiss are a bit more guarded. (probably the same in other countries, but where I live in France for instance, when you say hello to your neighbours you are talking for 3-5 minutes about all kind of stuff) French and certainly Spanish (even more South Americans) are so much more accessible...
Hola Sole,

Con mucho gusot! Si me alegro que hay hispanohablantes aqui, es algo que me falta mucho. Me encanta el Espanol y los Espanoles y Latinos; los encuentro mucho mas alegres que nosotros "Nordicos" Es decir todo por encima de Paris :)

Back to English I guess;
well about the meeting Swiss people, didn´t actually meet, talked to quite a few, in daily life; but remains polite and superficial and you don´t really connect. Some collegues are Swiss and quite nice though. So I guess it depends on context; maybe the average Swiss are a bit more guarded. (probably the same in other countries, but where I live in France for instance, when you say hello to your neighbours you are talking for 3-5 minutes about all kind of stuff) French and certainly Spanish (even more South Americans) are so much more accessible...
JanElViajero, Mar 2, 2006 @ 21:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
spanish speaking Belgium...typical of the GoL crowd...(-:

I was real interested in what you said about 'after the dust settling down, it's a bit more difficult than expected to make friends here' (excuse the paras phrasing, and I hope I caught it right).

I just received an Email from another GOL member, who noted how hyped up he was about meeting all these different Geneva people, but after landing here he was disillusioned with it all, realising that in reality these people are hard to find...

I hope GoL is making a real difference here. There are really great people here, and if we make the effort - we get together.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Nir
spanish speaking Belgium...typical of the GoL crowd...(-:

I was real interested in what you said about 'after the dust settling down, it's a bit more difficult than expected to make friends here' (excuse the paras phrasing, and I hope I caught it right).

I just received an Email from another GOL member, who noted how hyped up he was about meeting all these different Geneva people, but after landing here he was disillusioned with it all, realising that in reality these people are hard to find...

I hope GoL is making a real difference here. There are really great people here, and if we make the effort - we get together.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Nir

Nir Ofek, Mar 3, 2006 @ 14:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
I only asked because my Belgian friend is proud to be Flemish and she hates the Dutch :)
We'll have to chat about being disillusioned with politcs some warm day this spring with beers in hands.
In the meantime, come out with us!!
I only asked because my Belgian friend is proud to be Flemish and she hates the Dutch :)
We'll have to chat about being disillusioned with politcs some warm day this spring with beers in hands.
In the meantime, come out with us!!
Jillybeano, Mar 3, 2006 @ 17:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Hi Nir!

I understand you are one of the guys to thank for this great initiative! Thanks :)

Yup , indeed that is about what I meant. By dust settling down I meant primarily the first few months of exploring, dealing with formalities, ... doing the obvious stuff.

I guess now I am moving into a phase where I start thinking about expanding (beyond work and neighbours) my social circle and I realise that my original assumption that I would know loads and loads of international people by now, is not quite correct.
When I lived in Madrid it all seemed to go effortlessly, you know, you came in contact with the most wonderful and diverse international people by just going about your day-to-day stuff.
(have to remark though that I was a student then, I wonder how much people on GOL here used to be exchange students? I had a blast! Its where it all started for me)

but GOL seems like a great tool to address the problem :0)

See you around! Thanks again for the welcome!

Hi Nir!

I understand you are one of the guys to thank for this great initiative! Thanks :)

Yup , indeed that is about what I meant. By dust settling down I meant primarily the first few months of exploring, dealing with formalities, ... doing the obvious stuff.

I guess now I am moving into a phase where I start thinking about expanding (beyond work and neighbours) my social circle and I realise that my original assumption that I would know loads and loads of international people by now, is not quite correct.
When I lived in Madrid it all seemed to go effortlessly, you know, you came in contact with the most wonderful and diverse international people by just going about your day-to-day stuff.
(have to remark though that I was a student then, I wonder how much people on GOL here used to be exchange students? I had a blast! Its where it all started for me)

but GOL seems like a great tool to address the problem :0)

See you around! Thanks again for the welcome!

JanElViajero, Mar 3, 2006 @ 23:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Its something genetic I guess :)

Depends on the person of course, there are Dutch guys and girls who are quite cool! But they are great targets to poke some fun at!

Its not like they don t make jokes about us wonderful (ahem) Belgians...
Its something genetic I guess :)

Depends on the person of course, there are Dutch guys and girls who are quite cool! But they are great targets to poke some fun at!

Its not like they don t make jokes about us wonderful (ahem) Belgians...
JanElViajero, Mar 3, 2006 @ 23:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
When /where is the next one?
Don´t know if I can make the 2000 member party next week thoughm but I´ll try!

See you around!
When /where is the next one?
Don´t know if I can make the 2000 member party next week thoughm but I´ll try!

See you around!
JanElViajero, Mar 4, 2006 @ 15:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1426 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form