Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Hello everyone!

A month ago I moved to Geneva, hopefully permanently, and just found out about this incredible community. I lived in DC 3 years (for law school) and before that Los Angeles. I love making new friends and organizing events and look forward being part of this community. 

Grette

The text you are quoting:

A month ago I moved to Geneva, hopefully permanently, and just found out about this incredible community. I lived in DC 3 years (for law school) and before that Los Angeles. I love making new friends and organizing events and look forward being part of this community. 

Grette

Grette LNov 16, 2018 @ 11:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 684 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Hello everyone!
Post 1

Welcome ! Smile

Welcome ! Smile

Michel D, Nov 16, 2018 @ 12:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Wow, first person I have ever heard self-identify as an Angelena. Most Angelenos I know will say they are from South Central, East Los, the Valley, Westwood, Wilmington, San Pedro and the like. Only those from obscure small cities in the LA metropolitan area, like Downey, Carson or Azusa, say they are from LA.

Here are some ways you know you are no longer in LA, Toto:

You will not see signs by the autoroute that read: “Welcome to Geneva, now go home.”
That blue thing above, that’s the sky.
You don't have to stop when you see someone walking on the sidewalk, ask if their car broke down and offer to call the AAA for them.
You will finally discover what part of "sideWALK" you never understood.
You can walk on the street alone at night.
You don’t have to drive to the corner Migrolin.
No mini-malls.
No Mexican cooks in Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian, Greek or “American” restaurants.
No one will yell at you "speak Swiss, you are in Switzerland."
Parking signs (yes, only one sign) that you can understand.
You can actually drive somewhere in Geneva in less than 45 minutes.
You will not get to finish the song you are listening to in your car radio before you get to your destination.
That over there is actually a parking lot, not freeway traffic.
Don’t ask anyone where is the closest Costco or Trader Joe’s. Don't even bring up Target.
When you order coffee at the Starbucks (yes, there are some here), the barista will not ask you if you want it iced or hot.
No, they did not bring you an entree instead of a main dish by mistake at the restaurant. That is a normal portion.
The waiter will not ask you repeatedly "how is the food?" They will just let you enjoy it.
You will not be woken up by leafblowers.
You won’t see nuts who put snow all over the top of their cars when they come back from the mountains. In fact, if you get snow over your car, get it off before you get on the road, or you will get stopped.
No tire threads on the freeway on the corner.
No taco trucks.
You will actually find the weather report interesting and relevant.

Wow, first person I have ever heard self-identify as an Angelena. Most Angelenos I know will say they are from South Central, East Los, the Valley, Westwood, Wilmington, San Pedro and the like. Only those from obscure small cities in the LA metropolitan area, like Downey, Carson or Azusa, say they are from LA.

Here are some ways you know you are no longer in LA, Toto:

You will not see signs by the autoroute that read: “Welcome to Geneva, now go home.”
That blue thing above, that’s the sky.
You don't have to stop when you see someone walking on the sidewalk, ask if their car broke down and offer to call the AAA for them.
You will finally discover what part of "sideWALK" you never understood.
You can walk on the street alone at night.
You don’t have to drive to the corner Migrolin.
No mini-malls.
No Mexican cooks in Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian, Greek or “American” restaurants.
No one will yell at you "speak Swiss, you are in Switzerland."
Parking signs (yes, only one sign) that you can understand.
You can actually drive somewhere in Geneva in less than 45 minutes.
You will not get to finish the song you are listening to in your car radio before you get to your destination.
That over there is actually a parking lot, not freeway traffic.
Don’t ask anyone where is the closest Costco or Trader Joe’s. Don't even bring up Target.
When you order coffee at the Starbucks (yes, there are some here), the barista will not ask you if you want it iced or hot.
No, they did not bring you an entree instead of a main dish by mistake at the restaurant. That is a normal portion.
The waiter will not ask you repeatedly "how is the food?" They will just let you enjoy it.
You will not be woken up by leafblowers.
You won’t see nuts who put snow all over the top of their cars when they come back from the mountains. In fact, if you get snow over your car, get it off before you get on the road, or you will get stopped.
No tire threads on the freeway on the corner.
No taco trucks.
You will actually find the weather report interesting and relevant.

JR M, Nov 16, 2018 @ 15:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Wao! this has made me laugh... I went to high school in west LA /brentwood and then college at UC Riverside, so I have lived in the two ends of the spectrum... Last time I actually lived in 'SoCal' I lived in Santa Monica and my office was downtown... However I would find it pretentious to identify some LA neighborhood only LA people know... 

BTW... are you from the OC? lol 

Thank you very much, I really appreciate all the tips, not a lot of people take the time ;) I have spent the past three summers here working/interning so is not my first time to Geneva but it is the first time I come with the intention to stay... and yes I really do not want to go back to LA =P and I definetly LOVE not having to drive EVER! =D

Wao! this has made me laugh... I went to high school in west LA /brentwood and then college at UC Riverside, so I have lived in the two ends of the spectrum... Last time I actually lived in 'SoCal' I lived in Santa Monica and my office was downtown... However I would find it pretentious to identify some LA neighborhood only LA people know... 

BTW... are you from the OC? lol 

Thank you very much, I really appreciate all the tips, not a lot of people take the time ;) I have spent the past three summers here working/interning so is not my first time to Geneva but it is the first time I come with the intention to stay... and yes I really do not want to go back to LA =P and I definetly LOVE not having to drive EVER! =D

Grette L, Nov 16, 2018 @ 16:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

"I went to high school in west LA /brentwood"

University High? Or one of the private high schools in that area? I had a couple of very bright students from University High volunteer at my lab at UCLA.

Yes, you are right that expecting non-Angelinos to recognize the name of some of LAs neighborhoods would be as pretentious as expecting them to laugh watching Steve Martin's 1991 film "LA story." It was a great hit in Southern California and with critics, but it bombed everywhere else. It is terribly funny if you know LA, though. If you have not seen it, find a copy.

Am I from OC? Objection, your honor. Did I end my post with "Make America Great Again?" Actually, I take that back, my comment is outdated. After the recent election, the Orange Curtain is no more. Congressmember Rohrabacher is out, DA Rackauckas is out, both after about 3 decades in office.

I actually grew up in a southern suburb of San Diego, called Ensenada Smile

I know, that means nothing to anyone who is reading this, unless they are surfers from Southern California. And if they are, I probably stole their surfboard.

"I definetly LOVE not having to drive EVER!" Well, of course, if you commuted from Santa Monica to Downtown LA on the 10 Freeway, you are still suffering from PTSD.

"I went to high school in west LA /brentwood"

University High? Or one of the private high schools in that area? I had a couple of very bright students from University High volunteer at my lab at UCLA.

Yes, you are right that expecting non-Angelinos to recognize the name of some of LAs neighborhoods would be as pretentious as expecting them to laugh watching Steve Martin's 1991 film "LA story." It was a great hit in Southern California and with critics, but it bombed everywhere else. It is terribly funny if you know LA, though. If you have not seen it, find a copy.

Am I from OC? Objection, your honor. Did I end my post with "Make America Great Again?" Actually, I take that back, my comment is outdated. After the recent election, the Orange Curtain is no more. Congressmember Rohrabacher is out, DA Rackauckas is out, both after about 3 decades in office.

I actually grew up in a southern suburb of San Diego, called Ensenada Smile

I know, that means nothing to anyone who is reading this, unless they are surfers from Southern California. And if they are, I probably stole their surfboard.

"I definetly LOVE not having to drive EVER!" Well, of course, if you commuted from Santa Monica to Downtown LA on the 10 Freeway, you are still suffering from PTSD.

JR M, Nov 16, 2018 @ 18:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 684 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form