Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Hi, I'm new!
I came to Geneva in October because of my partner's work here, and I already love the city. I'm Finnish and I love chocolate and capoeira. Some things I want to do in Geneva...

...learn to speak (better) French
...find out where they serve the best hot chocolate
...learn to play djembe / congas / atabaque
...learn to print fabric
...find places where to buy crafts materials
...learn to dance samba
...find a place where I can renovate 2 old chairs I picked up on my home street in Oxford, or where I could buy some materials and instruments to do this
...learn to speak Brazilian Portuguese
...study/do something fashion design related
...stay in Geneva a little bit to get to know it better, and not just travel everywhere all the time ;)

Just need to find places - and time! :)
The text you are quoting:
I came to Geneva in October because of my partner's work here, and I already love the city. I'm Finnish and I love chocolate and capoeira. Some things I want to do in Geneva...

...learn to speak (better) French
...find out where they serve the best hot chocolate
...learn to play djembe / congas / atabaque
...learn to print fabric
...find places where to buy crafts materials
...learn to dance samba
...find a place where I can renovate 2 old chairs I picked up on my home street in Oxford, or where I could buy some materials and instruments to do this
...learn to speak Brazilian Portuguese
...study/do something fashion design related
...stay in Geneva a little bit to get to know it better, and not just travel everywhere all the time ;)

Just need to find places - and time! :)

silbaMay 9, 2006 @ 16:30
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

22 Replies | 1297 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Hi, I'm new!
Post 1
that's a long list you have there! (-:

Welcome to the community (both you and your partner). I am sure you will get to do atleast some of the things you mentioned in Geneva...many of them with other GoLers.

See you online and offline,

Nir
that's a long list you have there! (-:

Welcome to the community (both you and your partner). I am sure you will get to do atleast some of the things you mentioned in Geneva...many of them with other GoLers.

See you online and offline,

Nir
Nir Ofek, May 9, 2006 @ 17:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Hi Silba,

I am new to Geneva too! From Sydney Aus. ! I am here for my partners job as well! Like you I despertly want to learn french and have been taking lessons! Its a slow process but hoping something will click soon :-)

You sound like you enjoy creating things! Mee to! I would love to do an interior design course! And priting on fabric sounds interesting. Let me know how you go!

Cheers
Melissa
Hi Silba,

I am new to Geneva too! From Sydney Aus. ! I am here for my partners job as well! Like you I despertly want to learn french and have been taking lessons! Its a slow process but hoping something will click soon :-)

You sound like you enjoy creating things! Mee to! I would love to do an interior design course! And priting on fabric sounds interesting. Let me know how you go!

Cheers
Melissa
misles, May 9, 2006 @ 19:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Good for you -- you're certainly planning on making the most of this place! No doubt, you'll have lots of fun in the process.
Good for you -- you're certainly planning on making the most of this place! No doubt, you'll have lots of fun in the process.
tiffany, May 9, 2006 @ 21:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hi Melissa --
I also moved here for my partner, and am not working yet. I know what you mean about getting back into the working world! Write if you ever want to hang out during the day when everyone else is in the office!
-- Tiffany
Hi Melissa --
I also moved here for my partner, and am not working yet. I know what you mean about getting back into the working world! Write if you ever want to hang out during the day when everyone else is in the office!
-- Tiffany
tiffany, May 9, 2006 @ 21:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
The "write to me if you ever want to hang out during the day" note in my previous note was meant to apply to anyone who is out there with not much to do while everyone is working. Let's enjoy our "time off" while we can!
-- Tiffany
The "write to me if you ever want to hang out during the day" note in my previous note was meant to apply to anyone who is out there with not much to do while everyone is working. Let's enjoy our "time off" while we can!
-- Tiffany
tiffany, May 9, 2006 @ 21:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
hi there! welcome to geneva. the best hot chocolate is near the confederation center, imho. at gilles desplanches. the chocolat chaud de maison is made with vanilla, anis, and some other secret ingredients. mmmm. as for craft supplies....hrmmm, depends on what you are looking for.i'd recommend manor or mparc. enjoy geneva!
hi there! welcome to geneva. the best hot chocolate is near the confederation center, imho. at gilles desplanches. the chocolat chaud de maison is made with vanilla, anis, and some other secret ingredients. mmmm. as for craft supplies....hrmmm, depends on what you are looking for.i'd recommend manor or mparc. enjoy geneva!
fuzzyshoe, May 10, 2006 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Hi hi,
Just to let you know that we are having a coffee morning at Cafe Arts for those of us who have moved to Geneva for their partner's work... Sibil, would be lovely if you could join us, and of course anyone else!
11am on Tuesday, hope to see you there...
Hi hi,
Just to let you know that we are having a coffee morning at Cafe Arts for those of us who have moved to Geneva for their partner's work... Sibil, would be lovely if you could join us, and of course anyone else!
11am on Tuesday, hope to see you there...
hester, May 10, 2006 @ 14:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Sorry, meant Silba, not Sibil!
Sorry, meant Silba, not Sibil!
hester, May 10, 2006 @ 14:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Hi Tiffany I would love to catch up! I have plenty of spare time on my hands at the moment! Perhaps we could meet for a coffee sometime soon?
Melissa
Hi Tiffany I would love to catch up! I have plenty of spare time on my hands at the moment! Perhaps we could meet for a coffee sometime soon?
Melissa
misles, May 10, 2006 @ 18:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Yep maybe I just need to stay in Geneva as long as it takes to get everything done.. :P At the moment my studies, capoeira, yoga and language studies are keeping me well occupied, but hope to be able to come out and meet people during the summer anyways.

See you :)
Yep maybe I just need to stay in Geneva as long as it takes to get everything done.. :P At the moment my studies, capoeira, yoga and language studies are keeping me well occupied, but hope to be able to come out and meet people during the summer anyways.

See you :)
silba, May 10, 2006 @ 18:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
Let's meet sometimes! And maybe we could find a course on fabric printing somewhere and go together... Fabric printing is something I'm definitely going to do, in a way or another, but might not be able to look for anything until september. (I've got one Master's thesis to write during the summer.)

Good luck with your french studies!!
Let's meet sometimes! And maybe we could find a course on fabric printing somewhere and go together... Fabric printing is something I'm definitely going to do, in a way or another, but might not be able to look for anything until september. (I've got one Master's thesis to write during the summer.)

Good luck with your french studies!!
silba, May 10, 2006 @ 19:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
Everyone is so welcoming here :)
Everyone is so welcoming here :)
silba, May 10, 2006 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
yeah that would be great! I would love to do the fabric printing with you! Just let me know what suits you. Good luck with your thesis! And if you want to meet up for a coffee in the mean time let me know.

Cheers
Melissa
yeah that would be great! I would love to do the fabric printing with you! Just let me know what suits you. Good luck with your thesis! And if you want to meet up for a coffee in the mean time let me know.

Cheers
Melissa
misles, May 10, 2006 @ 19:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
That would be really cool - or to at least hear a little bit spoken portuguese before I go to Salvador da Bahia in July! Finnish is not the most useful language to learn though, maybe I could teach something else :)

My partner is working at CERN too, by the way!
That would be really cool - or to at least hear a little bit spoken portuguese before I go to Salvador da Bahia in July! Finnish is not the most useful language to learn though, maybe I could teach something else :)

My partner is working at CERN too, by the way!
silba, May 10, 2006 @ 19:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
Thank you very much!! :)

Sounds delicious, I love anis! What/where is mparc?

Thank you very much!! :)

Sounds delicious, I love anis! What/where is mparc?

silba, May 10, 2006 @ 19:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
I'd love to come, but don't yet know if I'm too busy on Tuesday - is it necessary to tell in advance if I'm coming?
I'd love to come, but don't yet know if I'm too busy on Tuesday - is it necessary to tell in advance if I'm coming?
silba, May 10, 2006 @ 19:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
My real name is Heidi, anyways - but there already was one Heidi registered so I couldn't use my name :)
My real name is Heidi, anyways - but there already was one Heidi registered so I couldn't use my name :)
silba, May 10, 2006 @ 19:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
Welcome to GOL, Silba!

I agree with fuzzyshoe that Gilles Desplanches has good hot choco drink. They have a separate place serving special choco drinks. Once inside Desplanches, go further up, turn left and there it is.

Another shop serving good hot choco drink is Cafe Auer. It's along the tram line close to the L'Occitane shop and a cinema (forgot the name). A tiny place and most of the time full so if you don't mind waiting for some seats to be vacated, it's worth a try.

Cecil (my real name)
Welcome to GOL, Silba!

I agree with fuzzyshoe that Gilles Desplanches has good hot choco drink. They have a separate place serving special choco drinks. Once inside Desplanches, go further up, turn left and there it is.

Another shop serving good hot choco drink is Cafe Auer. It's along the tram line close to the L'Occitane shop and a cinema (forgot the name). A tiny place and most of the time full so if you don't mind waiting for some seats to be vacated, it's worth a try.

Cecil (my real name)
CeeBee, May 10, 2006 @ 20:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19
Just come along if you can, and if not you can't make it then there's always next time!
x
Just come along if you can, and if not you can't make it then there's always next time!
x
hester, May 10, 2006 @ 21:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
22 Replies | 1297 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form