Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Hi! My name is David and i am new in Geneva.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Hi! My name is David and i am new in Geneva.
Hi,

My name is David. I have been living in Glasgow for 5
years and just moved to Geneva 2 and a half weeks ago.
So it is still new for me! I moved here with my
partner who is swiss native. It is totally new for me
and i do not know anyone apart from my partner of
course. I am now looking to make new friends here.

I was advised to go through Genevaonline because it is
a great opportunity to make friends who come from
different countries. It is great to discover different
cultures. For example, i was born in Paris, France but
i am originally asian from a country called Laos right
next to Thailand. I can actually speak 4 languages
including english, french, german and lao.

I moved to Glasgow for work in 2001 and
i have been there for 5 years and it was great! At
first, i was struggling with the scottish accent but
after 5 years having been in Glasgow, people say that
when i speak in english, i have a scottish accent. I
have also been in Edinburgh many times.

I hope to hear by email from many genevaonline members who come from different cultures because i would like to make new friends in this town as this is still new for me and i do not know anyone.

Best regards,

David
The text you are quoting:
Hi,

My name is David. I have been living in Glasgow for 5
years and just moved to Geneva 2 and a half weeks ago.
So it is still new for me! I moved here with my
partner who is swiss native. It is totally new for me
and i do not know anyone apart from my partner of
course. I am now looking to make new friends here.

I was advised to go through Genevaonline because it is
a great opportunity to make friends who come from
different countries. It is great to discover different
cultures. For example, i was born in Paris, France but
i am originally asian from a country called Laos right
next to Thailand. I can actually speak 4 languages
including english, french, german and lao.

I moved to Glasgow for work in 2001 and
i have been there for 5 years and it was great! At
first, i was struggling with the scottish accent but
after 5 years having been in Glasgow, people say that
when i speak in english, i have a scottish accent. I
have also been in Edinburgh many times.

I hope to hear by email from many genevaonline members who come from different cultures because i would like to make new friends in this town as this is still new for me and i do not know anyone.

Best regards,

David
scotdave6Jun 27, 2006 @ 04:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1145 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Hi! My name is David and i am new in Geneva.
Post 1
So you struggled with the Scottish accent at first (as I still do, even though I'm a native English speaker!). The good news: the Swiss French accent is much easier to understand than the French French accent! Welcome to Geneva!
So you struggled with the Scottish accent at first (as I still do, even though I'm a native English speaker!). The good news: the Swiss French accent is much easier to understand than the French French accent! Welcome to Geneva!
tiffany, Jun 27, 2006 @ 13:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Hi! You mentioned the new member drinks where i will be able to meet newcomers like myself but i would like to know when will be the next one and where does it usually take place. Geneva is still a new town for me and i do not know all the places in this town. Can you please advise me of those informations by email if possible? It would be very kind!

Many thanks!

Best regards,

David
Hi! You mentioned the new member drinks where i will be able to meet newcomers like myself but i would like to know when will be the next one and where does it usually take place. Geneva is still a new town for me and i do not know all the places in this town. Can you please advise me of those informations by email if possible? It would be very kind!

Many thanks!

Best regards,

David

scotdave6, Jun 27, 2006 @ 15:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Hi Tiffany!

First of all, many thanks for your kind welcome! Indeed i struggled with the scottish accent but now i can understand all the scottish slang and every words scottish people can say. My friends in Glasgow, Scotland say that i am a real glaswegian when i speak in english. Because i am new in this town, i remember that the first i arrived in Glasgow i was really scared because i did not understand any of the scotiish accent and i was totally lost. Here it is ok but i do not know anyone else in Geneva apart from my boyfriend. I feel a bit lonely in this town and that is the reason why i would like to be able to make new friends here and be able to go out for a drink or for a meal with i hope my future new friends that i will make here! How do you find this town since you arrived here?

I hope to hear from you soon!

Best regards,

David
Hi Tiffany!

First of all, many thanks for your kind welcome! Indeed i struggled with the scottish accent but now i can understand all the scottish slang and every words scottish people can say. My friends in Glasgow, Scotland say that i am a real glaswegian when i speak in english. Because i am new in this town, i remember that the first i arrived in Glasgow i was really scared because i did not understand any of the scotiish accent and i was totally lost. Here it is ok but i do not know anyone else in Geneva apart from my boyfriend. I feel a bit lonely in this town and that is the reason why i would like to be able to make new friends here and be able to go out for a drink or for a meal with i hope my future new friends that i will make here! How do you find this town since you arrived here?

I hope to hear from you soon!

Best regards,

David
scotdave6, Jun 27, 2006 @ 15:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I love Geneva and largely have GOL to thank for that, to be honest. I (and pretty much everyone on this site) know exactly how you feel. New to town, don't know a soul, and don't know where to start. The good news is that you've already found GOL. But even with a great resource like GOL, it always takes time to make friends. For quite awhile, you'll feel like you have some (or maybe a lot of) acquaintances but no real friends. But by continuing to go to activities (and by not being afraid to go alone if your partner can't come along), you'll meet more people and start to develop real friendships. If you want to do a particular activity but don't see it posted, organize it yourself -- a surefire way to meet people and get to know Geneva better. Man, I sound like a walking GOL advertisement!

A non-GOL tip: take advantage of the natural beauty in and around Geneva. Go to Bains des Paquis, Geneve Plage, Le Jardin Botanique, the mountains, etc, while the weather is good. Then learn how to ski / snowboard (if you don't already know how) this winter. Getting out of the house is key to being happy!

I love Geneva and largely have GOL to thank for that, to be honest. I (and pretty much everyone on this site) know exactly how you feel. New to town, don't know a soul, and don't know where to start. The good news is that you've already found GOL. But even with a great resource like GOL, it always takes time to make friends. For quite awhile, you'll feel like you have some (or maybe a lot of) acquaintances but no real friends. But by continuing to go to activities (and by not being afraid to go alone if your partner can't come along), you'll meet more people and start to develop real friendships. If you want to do a particular activity but don't see it posted, organize it yourself -- a surefire way to meet people and get to know Geneva better. Man, I sound like a walking GOL advertisement!

A non-GOL tip: take advantage of the natural beauty in and around Geneva. Go to Bains des Paquis, Geneve Plage, Le Jardin Botanique, the mountains, etc, while the weather is good. Then learn how to ski / snowboard (if you don't already know how) this winter. Getting out of the house is key to being happy!

tiffany, Jun 27, 2006 @ 19:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1145 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form