Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Is Geneva/ Lausanne a difficult place for 30 somethings...

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Is Geneva/ Lausanne a difficult place for 30 somethings...

Hi All, I've been planning a move to Geneva/ Lausanne for a while now and hear that Lausanne has a great student and post grad scene and that Geneva has the international scene.

I’m in my late 30's (don’t know how that happened) by the way......and single and wondering if it will be difficult properly to integrate in either city. I’m an native English speaker and the plan will be to become fluent in French. I’ve just left a large international city that possibly wasn't the easiest to integrate in.

I love all sports and like to be social.

Are my concerns re: finding a new home in my late thirties valid??

Anyone have experinces of this ?

Libby

The text you are quoting:

Hi All, I've been planning a move to Geneva/ Lausanne for a while now and hear that Lausanne has a great student and post grad scene and that Geneva has the international scene.

I’m in my late 30's (don’t know how that happened) by the way......and single and wondering if it will be difficult properly to integrate in either city. I’m an native English speaker and the plan will be to become fluent in French. I’ve just left a large international city that possibly wasn't the easiest to integrate in.

Libby

Libby HAug 22, 2019 @ 17:57
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1585 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Is Geneva/ Lausanne a difficult place for 30 somethings...
Post 1

Hi Libby!

Geneva could be a great place for you. It has a vibrant international atmosphere with lots of expats, many of which are not so firmly rooted in the place, yet, though some will eventually stay here. French will certainly help integrate with the locals, but you can get by with English in the international community. There's lots to do, and you don't have to be extremely young to enjoy it.

I don't know much about Lausanne, but it is probably fair to say that young students have a stronger grip on that place... Though there are also people who study after having worked for some years already.

Sven

Hi Libby!

Geneva could be a great place for you. It has a vibrant international atmosphere with lots of expats, many of which are not so firmly rooted in the place, yet, though some will eventually stay here. French will certainly help integrate with the locals, but you can get by with English in the international community. There's lots to do, and you don't have to be extremely young to enjoy it.

I don't know much about Lausanne, but it is probably fair to say that young students have a stronger grip on that place... Though there are also people who study after having worked for some years already.

Sven

Sven T, Aug 24, 2019 @ 10:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Ditto. There's a lot of single people in their 30-40s in Geneva, with foreigners making up 40% of the total population. At the beginning you can surely get away with speaking English, while studying French to become fluent.

Where were you living before?

> I’m in my late 30's (don’t know how that happened)

Late-30s is a perfectly valid age to change life.Thanks for the laugh, by the way :)

Ditto. There's a lot of single people in their 30-40s in Geneva, with foreigners making up 40% of the total population. At the beginning you can surely get away with speaking English, while studying French to become fluent.

Where were you living before?

> I’m in my late 30's (don’t know how that happened)

Late-30s is a perfectly valid age to change life.Thanks for the laugh, by the way :)

TheOmegaMan, Aug 25, 2019 @ 12:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thank you Guys, maybe I just needed a bit of reassurance.........

Well 30's are the new 20's and so on....ehhhh?

Thank you Guys, maybe I just needed a bit of reassurance.........

Well 30's are the new 20's and so on....ehhhh?

Libby H, Aug 26, 2019 @ 15:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Libby, 

I grew up in Geneva, moved to an international vibrant city for 7 years then returned and began working in my 20's. I am now also im my late 30's and can assure you Geneva has plenty of vibrant singles in their late 30's.

:) 

Hi Libby, 

I grew up in Geneva, moved to an international vibrant city for 7 years then returned and began working in my 20's. I am now also im my late 30's and can assure you Geneva has plenty of vibrant singles in their late 30's.

:) 

Naomi M, Sep 27, 2019 @ 12:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Libby

Aug 22, 19 17:57

First of all, welcome to glocals, the right place to find things to do and people to meet which is quite simple if you check the “Groups” and “Members” tabs.  There’s plenty of choice including a local Irish Association and the very popular Irish pubs.  I don’t think you’ll be lonely for long.

All the best, Ritchie

First of all, welcome to glocals, the right place to find things to do and people to meet which is quite simple if you check the “Groups” and “Members” tabs.  There’s plenty of choice including a local Irish Association and the very popular Irish pubs.  I don’t think you’ll be lonely for long.

All the best, Ritchie

Ritchie, Sep 27, 2019 @ 14:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks Naomi, I wish you the best on settling back home Laughing

Thanks Naomi, I wish you the best on settling back home Laughing

Libby H, Sep 28, 2019 @ 14:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi there,moving to a new city is always a hard challenge,but try to get out there  and it will feel like home in no time.

Best regards 

Ivel

Hi there,moving to a new city is always a hard challenge,but try to get out there  and it will feel like home in no time.

Best regards 

Ivel

Ivel Yordanov, Oct 9, 2019 @ 00:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Late 30s, don't know how that happened either.

New to Geneva. Join a sports club, life looks up while getting fit. :) 

Late 30s, don't know how that happened either.

New to Geneva. Join a sports club, life looks up while getting fit. :) 

Diya Banerjee, Oct 24, 2019 @ 11:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hey, send me a message if you fancy a coffee. Think we are in a similar situation so ve good to make new friends. Becks

Hey, send me a message if you fancy a coffee. Think we are in a similar situation so ve good to make new friends. Becks

Rebecca Curley, Dec 1, 2019 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1585 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form