Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Just sort of wandered into Geneva...

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Just sort of wandered into Geneva...
... in my goal to travel to as many countries as possible for as little as possible under the guise of being a student but doing as little studying as possible... yep, I ended up here. I have so far spent significant amounts of my life in Ghana, the United States, and France, just sort of looking around, checking things out, and preferring to learn by passive observation rather than any sort of active inquiry. Case in point - it just occurred to me that I have no idea who the president of Switzerland is, whether Switzerland even HAS a president, whether it's a democracy, or monarchy, or a communist country... I have absolutely no clue. I don't have TV, and haven't thought to actually read the newspapers. I could find this out by a google search, but I'm on here instead... this would not even have been so sad if I were not purportedly in the country getting a master's degree in "international relations".

Obviously, I haven't been here long - just a little over a month. And like almost everyone here, I've realized how hard it is to meet people in Geneva. I'm excited to find this site, and I look forward to attending an event or two soon! Maybe you can tell me more about Switzerland then ;-)
The text you are quoting:
... in my goal to travel to as many countries as possible for as little as possible under the guise of being a student but doing as little studying as possible... yep, I ended up here. I have so far spent significant amounts of my life in Ghana, the United States, and France, just sort of looking around, checking things out, and preferring to learn by passive observation rather than any sort of active inquiry. Case in point - it just occurred to me that I have no idea who the president of Switzerland is, whether Switzerland even HAS a president, whether it's a democracy, or monarchy, or a communist country... I have absolutely no clue. I don't have TV, and haven't thought to actually read the newspapers. I could find this out by a google search, but I'm on here instead... this would not even have been so sad if I were not purportedly in the country getting a master's degree in "international relations".

Obviously, I haven't been here long - just a little over a month. And like almost everyone here, I've realized how hard it is to meet people in Geneva. I'm excited to find this site, and I look forward to attending an event or two soon! Maybe you can tell me more about Switzerland then ;-)
afrochickDec 2, 2005 @ 22:52
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1161 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Just sort of wandered into Geneva...
Post 1
...and cu at one of the next events :-)
...and cu at one of the next events :-)
Quijote, Dec 3, 2005 @ 03:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Hope u will like it here;

If u wanna learn a few things about this country, u should know that the Swiss Confederation or Switzerland (Latin: Confoederatio Helvetica) is a landlocked federal republic in Europe and consists of 26 cantons (states). Confoederatio Helvetica is the Latin official name. The use of Latin avoids choosing one of the four official languages (French, Italian, German and Romansh).

The country is organised as follows:
there is a bicameral Swiss parliament called the Federal Assembly,which is the primary seat of power. And both houses, the Council of States and the National Council, have equal powers in all respects.

The top executive body and collective Head of State is the Federal Council, a collegial body of seven members. The President of the Confederation is elected from the seven to assume special representative functions for a one-year term.

And if u wanna learn more, u can go and check out the following link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland

it's interesting, and can help us understand (or at least try to) how the hell they're running this country, it is so complicated... lol

Looking forward to meeting u soon

Phoebs
Hope u will like it here;

If u wanna learn a few things about this country, u should know that the Swiss Confederation or Switzerland (Latin: Confoederatio Helvetica) is a landlocked federal republic in Europe and consists of 26 cantons (states). Confoederatio Helvetica is the Latin official name. The use of Latin avoids choosing one of the four official languages (French, Italian, German and Romansh).

The country is organised as follows:
there is a bicameral Swiss parliament called the Federal Assembly,which is the primary seat of power. And both houses, the Council of States and the National Council, have equal powers in all respects.

The top executive body and collective Head of State is the Federal Council, a collegial body of seven members. The President of the Confederation is elected from the seven to assume special representative functions for a one-year term.

And if u wanna learn more, u can go and check out the following link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland

it's interesting, and can help us understand (or at least try to) how the hell they're running this country, it is so complicated... lol

Looking forward to meeting u soon

Phoebs

Phoebe, Dec 3, 2005 @ 06:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
welcome afrochick, what an amazing and inspiring introduction!
i wish i had the courage to do what you do.
so how long do you plan to stick around here?
and dont you sometimes get the urge to settle down?
welcome afrochick, what an amazing and inspiring introduction!
i wish i had the courage to do what you do.
so how long do you plan to stick around here?
and dont you sometimes get the urge to settle down?
CityGirl, Dec 3, 2005 @ 13:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
... I'm only 22, so I figure I have at least ten more years until my perpetual "studying" becomes questionable...

I'm in Geneva for two years, and then I will figure out where next I might like to study... still haven't seen Asia, or the Caribbean, or S. America, although I would really like to spend some time in England... ah, the possibilities. All of this is wishful thinking, of course, since I have absolutely zero funds... but it all works out in the end, funnily enough. And one of these days, I will actually have to find a real job... *shudder*

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!
... I'm only 22, so I figure I have at least ten more years until my perpetual "studying" becomes questionable...

I'm in Geneva for two years, and then I will figure out where next I might like to study... still haven't seen Asia, or the Caribbean, or S. America, although I would really like to spend some time in England... ah, the possibilities. All of this is wishful thinking, of course, since I have absolutely zero funds... but it all works out in the end, funnily enough. And one of these days, I will actually have to find a real job... *shudder*

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!
afrochick, Dec 3, 2005 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1161 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form