Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Move it Geneva advice

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Move it Geneva advice

Hi Glocals!

Me and my Wife will be moving to Geneva in the next few months as I have been offered a work contract.

I was looking for some advice. My new employer suggests to use AirB&B for the first 3 months (paid by them) to find my feet and look for a more permanent accommodatio. I’m sure I read somewhere on this forum to avoid AirB&B? Is this correct? If so why? 

Also any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

thanks in advanced!

Phill

The text you are quoting:

Hi Glocals!

Me and my Wife will be moving to Geneva in the next few months as I have been offered a work contract.

I was looking for some advice. My new employer suggests to use AirB&B for the first 3 months (paid by them) to find my feet and look for a more permanent accommodatio. I’m sure I read somewhere on this forum to avoid AirB&B? Is this correct? If so why? 

Also any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

thanks in advanced!

Phill

Phillip HaywardFeb 22, 2019 @ 17:44
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 554 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Move it Geneva advice
Post 1

Finding apartments in Geneva is very difficult ... I would be very cautious about putting yourself in a position where you may not have a place after a while.

I lived in NYC ... and it is *much* easier to find an apartment there!

Finding apartments in Geneva is very difficult ... I would be very cautious about putting yourself in a position where you may not have a place after a while.

I lived in NYC ... and it is *much* easier to find an apartment there!

Sean C, Feb 22, 2019 @ 20:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks Sean. From what I understand it is hard to find a permanent property from the off. I assume the idea is AirB&B while all relevant paperwork and bank account etc are arranged as these are required for long term rental agreements? 

Thanks Sean. From what I understand it is hard to find a permanent property from the off. I assume the idea is AirB&B while all relevant paperwork and bank account etc are arranged as these are required for long term rental agreements? 

Phillip Hayward, Feb 22, 2019 @ 20:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

AirBNB just seems a bit shaky ... there is an active subletting market which is allowed legally and protected by tenants rights. I think you wouldn't have much in the way of rights with AirBNB.

There is also the option of living in neighbouring France if you have permits etc.

AirBNB just seems a bit shaky ... there is an active subletting market which is allowed legally and protected by tenants rights. I think you wouldn't have much in the way of rights with AirBNB.

There is also the option of living in neighbouring France if you have permits etc.

Sean C, Feb 22, 2019 @ 21:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I suggest checking the ads under “Housing offered” in the Classifieds where you can also insert an ad. of your own.

Best wishes, R.

I suggest checking the ads under “Housing offered” in the Classifieds where you can also insert an ad. of your own.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, Feb 23, 2019 @ 03:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 554 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form