Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > NEVER Mispronounce Bien Joue! - Trust Me

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
NEVER Mispronounce Bien Joue! - Trust Me
My Bien Joue story pretty much epitomizes my experience here in Geneva. I'm an avid golfer, but frigtening francophone. Golf French was hard to learn, so I decided to pay attention, and pick up phrases on the course. To make a long story short, my beloved friends at Divonne let me go three full rounds of golf mispronouncing my first phrase, "Bien Joue." (Well played) Apparently, there's a very similar phrase - if you pronounce the e in Joue as ee - that is meant to encourage, but not exactly while playing golf. . .
The text you are quoting:
My Bien Joue story pretty much epitomizes my experience here in Geneva. I'm an avid golfer, but frigtening francophone. Golf French was hard to learn, so I decided to pay attention, and pick up phrases on the course. To make a long story short, my beloved friends at Divonne let me go three full rounds of golf mispronouncing my first phrase, "Bien Joue." (Well played) Apparently, there's a very similar phrase - if you pronounce the e in Joue as ee - that is meant to encourage, but not exactly while playing golf. . .
3PuttBogeyOct 14, 2005 @ 00:38
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1947 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: NEVER Mispronounce Bien Joue! - Trust Me
Post 1
....if you're not the one involved!! lol
But I'm french and I know how hard it could be to get the proper pronounciation in a different language. For me in english "I ate/ I hate" is giving me a hard time.. and so on...
But at least you tried to speak french, it is really brave of you.

Welcome on board the GOL Community
S.
....if you're not the one involved!! lol
But I'm french and I know how hard it could be to get the proper pronounciation in a different language. For me in english "I ate/ I hate" is giving me a hard time.. and so on...
But at least you tried to speak french, it is really brave of you.

Welcome on board the GOL Community
S.
Phoebe, Oct 14, 2005 @ 02:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
On the 2nd day of the Bien Joue violation, there was a Divonne resort guest playing only 9 holes of golf, and was paired up with me to give him a member's insight on the course. Every time I used my new fantastic French phrase, he had a big grin on his face. I thought, "Oh, he must find it endearing that I'm actually trying to speak French." After 9 holes, he said he was having such a great time, he'd play a full 18. I was none the wiser until the next day . . . I'd like to hear his version of the story - I'm sure it's been told a few times. :)
On the 2nd day of the Bien Joue violation, there was a Divonne resort guest playing only 9 holes of golf, and was paired up with me to give him a member's insight on the course. Every time I used my new fantastic French phrase, he had a big grin on his face. I thought, "Oh, he must find it endearing that I'm actually trying to speak French." After 9 holes, he said he was having such a great time, he'd play a full 18. I was none the wiser until the next day . . . I'd like to hear his version of the story - I'm sure it's been told a few times. :)
3PuttBogey, Oct 14, 2005 @ 13:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
When I first got to Suisse and wasn't that good in French, I would say to my colleagues about my boss (who I really liked and admired): "Je l'aime avec tout mon coeur"... which means "I love him with all my heart" - not very offensive... but I'd mispronouce "coeur" and it would sound like "corps"... which makes it right away a bit ambiguous, especially considering that my boss was this 65 year old guy.... :-)
When I first got to Suisse and wasn't that good in French, I would say to my colleagues about my boss (who I really liked and admired): "Je l'aime avec tout mon coeur"... which means "I love him with all my heart" - not very offensive... but I'd mispronouce "coeur" and it would sound like "corps"... which makes it right away a bit ambiguous, especially considering that my boss was this 65 year old guy.... :-)
lovely_katya, Oct 14, 2005 @ 19:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
This German friend of mine (a very sweet girl) used to work as a waitress in a restaurant, and whenever people would ask her what was for desert, she'd honestly reply: "gateau aux amandes" (almond cake).. except she pronounced "amande" like "allemande" (you know, just like almond in English or however you pronounce it in German).. so she was pretty much saying these poor people that she'd bring them the "cake made of German girls"... :-8

And another great story (my favourite): this Bolivian girl I know reeeealy likes to get cosmetic samplers in stores like Globus and Bon Genie.. but the word "echantillon" (sampler) was a bit too hard for her.... so she'd always come up to the counter (and she'd always pick the cutest guys or girls there) and tell them "Je peux avoir des chatoilles?) - which means "can you tickle me?"... No wonder people looked funny at her...
This German friend of mine (a very sweet girl) used to work as a waitress in a restaurant, and whenever people would ask her what was for desert, she'd honestly reply: "gateau aux amandes" (almond cake).. except she pronounced "amande" like "allemande" (you know, just like almond in English or however you pronounce it in German).. so she was pretty much saying these poor people that she'd bring them the "cake made of German girls"... :-8

And another great story (my favourite): this Bolivian girl I know reeeealy likes to get cosmetic samplers in stores like Globus and Bon Genie.. but the word "echantillon" (sampler) was a bit too hard for her.... so she'd always come up to the counter (and she'd always pick the cutest guys or girls there) and tell them "Je peux avoir des chatoilles?) - which means "can you tickle me?"... No wonder people looked funny at her...
lovely_katya, Oct 14, 2005 @ 19:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
somebody brough his little puppy dog (chiot) to play and I told him enthusiastically that "j'adore cette chiotte" (I very much like this water closet) :D
somebody brough his little puppy dog (chiot) to play and I told him enthusiastically that "j'adore cette chiotte" (I very much like this water closet) :D
Stef__Granny, Oct 14, 2005 @ 20:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
I am perfectly tri-lingual but sometimes i, unkowingly, translate expresions, and the results are very funny. But the most embaressing is using the enlgish expression to nick something (ie to steel, borrow, etc) in french. Literaly saying "i am going to f*%k a cigerette off you" does sound a bit awkward to be honest!!
I am perfectly tri-lingual but sometimes i, unkowingly, translate expresions, and the results are very funny. But the most embaressing is using the enlgish expression to nick something (ie to steel, borrow, etc) in french. Literaly saying "i am going to f*%k a cigerette off you" does sound a bit awkward to be honest!!
munkypint, Oct 17, 2005 @ 13:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1947 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form