Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > New to Geneva and looking for hiking groups/buddies

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New to Geneva and looking for hiking groups/buddies

Hey guys,

I moved to Geneva just before this lockdown! I'll be working within the UN system and grew up in India and the US. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of any hiking groups that may exist for young adults! Or if anyone is just interested in going to hike some trail, hmu because I'd love to explore this country now!

The text you are quoting:

Hey guys,

I moved to Geneva just before this lockdown! I'll be working within the UN system and grew up in India and the US. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of any hiking groups that may exist for young adults! Or if anyone is just interested in going to hike some trail, hmu because I'd love to explore this country now!

Vedant BMay 16, 2020 @ 11:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1561 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New to Geneva and looking for hiking groups/buddies
Post 1

Hi Vedant,

Don't take the lack of reply personally - just people navigating COVID realities, welcome to the neighbourhood.

Elizabeth

Hi Vedant,

Don't take the lack of reply personally - just people navigating COVID realities, welcome to the neighbourhood.

Elizabeth

ElizabethMH H, May 18, 2020 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Young is the problem. You contacted Geneve Rando a week or so ago but I did not replyx as had already replied to you on glocals.  In most clubs there is a problem of finding like minded peoplem in the age group 30 to 45 because a lot of them are settling down with a family and escape is more difficult or you go with a youngster and that is more a family matter

As a relevant aside the main reason why the Swiss Alpine club has from the beginning been open to men women. But after the age of (can't remember but somewhere between 18 and 22) they were not permitted to be members and one of the reasons was  that at that age their purpose in life was to look after husaband and family.

Although tere is no restriction today I have seen in the clubs of which I am member that there is a lack of members in this age group 30-40.

Toi speicifics On the assumption that you 30-35 I would look at the Ski Club International de Geneve which normally has a very good programme and a youngish participation; the Swiss Alpine Club either Geneve or Carouge; Oxygène 74 in Haute Savoie although the leader who puts on the 'rambo' walks has succumbed indirectly to Covid-19.  While walking along totally flat terrain he slipped and is out of action for the whole of summer but there are other leaders.  Geneve Rando does have people in tje 30-40 age group but only for the harder walks.  Usually it is 'troisième age' which I suppose is 55 plus.

The big problem for all mountain leaders is that groups are limited at te mo0ment t0 5 including the leader. I esxpect this to be lifted to 10 on the 27/28th May.  Also very few clubs are offering anything until mid June and wit spaces at a premium........

I offer hikes with Geneve Rando, Swiss Alpine Club (Genève) and Oxygène 74 (although rarely due to lack of time)

There is an immense amount of literature both on and off line on walks and in Switzerland the signposting is normally good enough to do any of 65,000 km without getting lost.  Maps are good and can also be downloaded free on the internet

Young is the problem. You contacted Geneve Rando a week or so ago but I did not replyx as had already replied to you on glocals.  In most clubs there is a problem of finding like minded peoplem in the age group 30 to 45 because a lot of them are settling down with a family and escape is more difficult or you go with a youngster and that is more a family matter

As a relevant aside the main reason why the Swiss Alpine club has from the beginning been open to men women. But after the age of (can't remember but somewhere between 18 and 22) they were not permitted to be members and one of the reasons was  that at that age their purpose in life was to look after husaband and family.

Although tere is no restriction today I have seen in the clubs of which I am member that there is a lack of members in this age group 30-40.

Toi speicifics On the assumption that you 30-35 I would look at the Ski Club International de Geneve which normally has a very good programme and a youngish participation; the Swiss Alpine Club either Geneve or Carouge; Oxygène 74 in Haute Savoie although the leader who puts on the 'rambo' walks has succumbed indirectly to Covid-19.  While walking along totally flat terrain he slipped and is out of action for the whole of summer but there are other leaders.  Geneve Rando does have people in tje 30-40 age group but only for the harder walks.  Usually it is 'troisième age' which I suppose is 55 plus.

The big problem for all mountain leaders is that groups are limited at te mo0ment t0 5 including the leader. I esxpect this to be lifted to 10 on the 27/28th May.  Also very few clubs are offering anything until mid June and wit spaces at a premium........

I offer hikes with Geneve Rando, Swiss Alpine Club (Genève) and Oxygène 74 (although rarely due to lack of time)

There is an immense amount of literature both on and off line on walks and in Switzerland the signposting is normally good enough to do any of 65,000 km without getting lost.  Maps are good and can also be downloaded free on the internet

Paul E, May 18, 2020 @ 12:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

There are a lot of hikers  across the street from you, at the WHO. Though I don't know if there is a formal group, and right now they are either overwhelmed or working from home. But once things get back to semi-normal, you can check the bulleting boards.

There is a CERN hiking group, which you may try:

http://ott.web.cern.ch/hiking.htm

http://ott.web.cern.ch/hiking.htm#Links%20for%20hiking%20in%20Switzerland%20and%20France

There are a lot of hikers  across the street from you, at the WHO. Though I don't know if there is a formal group, and right now they are either overwhelmed or working from home. But once things get back to semi-normal, you can check the bulleting boards.

There is a CERN hiking group, which you may try:

http://ott.web.cern.ch/hiking.htm

http://ott.web.cern.ch/hiking.htm#Links%20for%20hiking%20in%20Switzerland%20and%20France

JR M, May 18, 2020 @ 19:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Vedant,

Not sure if you are still looking, however, I discovered the SCIG, an organisation that organises hikes and am planning to try it out. Not sure if its specifically for young adults, but it is a start :)

This is the website: https://www.scig.ch/en/

Best,

Nina

Hi Vedant,

Not sure if you are still looking, however, I discovered the SCIG, an organisation that organises hikes and am planning to try it out. Not sure if its specifically for young adults, but it is a start :)

This is the website: https://www.scig.ch/en/

Best,

Nina

N.A. Burns, Jun 5, 2020 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

hey Vedant.. I go on weekends normally. Sometimes hiking with shoes and sometimes barefoot hiking. Would you like to join me?

hey Vedant.. I go on weekends normally. Sometimes hiking with shoes and sometimes barefoot hiking. Would you like to join me?

Siddarth R, Jun 5, 2020 @ 17:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hey guys,

May 16, 20 11:51

Hi there, not sure if you're still looking. but I am new to Geneva and looking to make friends as well.

Hi there, not sure if you're still looking. but I am new to Geneva and looking to make friends as well.

Beatrice Hemeson, Feb 8, 2021 @ 22:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hello Vedant, I recently create this group on FB in order to help people find fitness buddies. It is still very small but I hope it will grow. Feel free to post there about hiking and I am sure that people will react!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/476934233318944

Welcome,

Dina

Hello Vedant, I recently create this group on FB in order to help people find fitness buddies. It is still very small but I hope it will grow. Feel free to post there about hiking and I am sure that people will react!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/476934233318944

Welcome,

Dina

dina giakoumi, Feb 9, 2021 @ 08:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1561 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form