Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Not so new
Hi GoL. I'm Ernie. Been here for years and years and years and know (a little bit of) Geneva pretty well. Used to be a electronics engineer, now I'm a full-time saxophonist and singer. Regularily hang till all hours at the Chat Noir and AMR. Thought I'd sign up at last 'cos I was once a newbie here myself and, since I'm now almost part of the furniture, I might be of use in the GoL "knowledge-pool" - you never know...
And... wotsmore - it's maybe time I learned some new stuff about my adopted city.
The text you are quoting:
Hi GoL. I'm Ernie. Been here for years and years and years and know (a little bit of) Geneva pretty well. Used to be a electronics engineer, now I'm a full-time saxophonist and singer. Regularily hang till all hours at the Chat Noir and AMR. Thought I'd sign up at last 'cos I was once a newbie here myself and, since I'm now almost part of the furniture, I might be of use in the GoL "knowledge-pool" - you never know...
And... wotsmore - it's maybe time I learned some new stuff about my adopted city.
ernieJan 27, 2006 @ 18:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1127 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Not so new
Post 1
It's always nice to have people here that actually know the city!
And even if u think that u have seen it all (the been-there-done-that syndrome) u never tried going out with the GOL crowd :)

Looking forward to see you
Val (I love the Chat Noir when its not too smoky)

It's always nice to have people here that actually know the city!
And even if u think that u have seen it all (the been-there-done-that syndrome) u never tried going out with the GOL crowd :)

Looking forward to see you
Val (I love the Chat Noir when its not too smoky)

Hoiling, Jan 27, 2006 @ 19:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Yep you're right. Hate the stuff too - I don't smoke. Did you know they now have a no-smoking-during-the-concert policy at the Chat Noir? Not a smoke particle in sight these days - it's been that way for the past two seasons. But you have to leave right after the concert, 'cos once the DJ gets started, then busloads of smokers pour in and fill the place up with that all-too-familiar blue haze.
Yep you're right. Hate the stuff too - I don't smoke. Did you know they now have a no-smoking-during-the-concert policy at the Chat Noir? Not a smoke particle in sight these days - it's been that way for the past two seasons. But you have to leave right after the concert, 'cos once the DJ gets started, then busloads of smokers pour in and fill the place up with that all-too-familiar blue haze.
ernie, Jan 27, 2006 @ 19:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
thanks for letting me know it will be definitely worth a second try ... I went 2 times 3 years ago and then a couple of times late in the eve ... but will check it out again :)

Val
thanks for letting me know it will be definitely worth a second try ... I went 2 times 3 years ago and then a couple of times late in the eve ... but will check it out again :)

Val
Hoiling, Jan 28, 2006 @ 02:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
He he he... :-D
You're right when I come to think of it: if you adopt one thing, then you have to discard the old in order not to get get bogged down. Should think of that next time I do a spring-cleaning thing in my wardrobes...
Anyway, I grew up in Glasgow - the "bad" end. But there's still a little space in my heart for Scotland. It's actually a great place.
He he he... :-D
You're right when I come to think of it: if you adopt one thing, then you have to discard the old in order not to get get bogged down. Should think of that next time I do a spring-cleaning thing in my wardrobes...
Anyway, I grew up in Glasgow - the "bad" end. But there's still a little space in my heart for Scotland. It's actually a great place.

ernie, Jan 29, 2006 @ 04:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Cool bernie,

I just moved to Geneva, actually today!!! and I have shipped with me my musical friends...drums, guitars, keyboard and a nice trumpet( that I cannot play and I promise myself to take lessons in geneva)..so I would be grateful to know how to get started in searching for lessons.

Also, any advice to places and music events of interests, I would be more than happy to go...

Once my stuff arrive, and set up small recording studio in my apt. ( if I ever find an apt), I would love to get together with people just to play and record some songs.

Take care,

Adrian
Cool bernie,

I just moved to Geneva, actually today!!! and I have shipped with me my musical friends...drums, guitars, keyboard and a nice trumpet( that I cannot play and I promise myself to take lessons in geneva)..so I would be grateful to know how to get started in searching for lessons.

Also, any advice to places and music events of interests, I would be more than happy to go...

Once my stuff arrive, and set up small recording studio in my apt. ( if I ever find an apt), I would love to get together with people just to play and record some songs.

Take care,

Adrian
Adri, Feb 2, 2006 @ 14:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Sorry I took a while - I haven't been around my computer much.
Best place to meet musicians who are willing to play with others is at a jam session.

There are three good ones in town:

1. AMR, 10 rue des Alpes, near the station.
They have one session every Tuesday from 9:30pm in the first-floor concert hall. I'll be running this one on Tuesday 7th Feb. Free entry. Cheap beers.

2. AMR, 10 rue des Alpes again.
But this time every second Wednesday in the cellar. This one is supposed to be more for beginners, but sometimes the level is just as high as the Tuesday one. Free entry. Beer price raised by 1Fr (but it's still cheap).

3. The BlaKat Jam Sessions. These are once-monthly in the Chat Noir in Carouge. First Thursday of the month from 9:30pm. This starts with a show by the host band and then the stage is open. I usually run this one. (I'll be off in March though, so I'll have someone standing in for me). Small entry fee (either 5Fr or 7Fr, can't remember).

That's it. Maybe see you at one of these sessions.
If you can't make a session, then go look at the notice boards in the AMR .It's also a kind of a school, so they have lots of "musicians wanted" adverts on the notice boards.
Sorry I took a while - I haven't been around my computer much.
Best place to meet musicians who are willing to play with others is at a jam session.

There are three good ones in town:

1. AMR, 10 rue des Alpes, near the station.
They have one session every Tuesday from 9:30pm in the first-floor concert hall. I'll be running this one on Tuesday 7th Feb. Free entry. Cheap beers.

2. AMR, 10 rue des Alpes again.
But this time every second Wednesday in the cellar. This one is supposed to be more for beginners, but sometimes the level is just as high as the Tuesday one. Free entry. Beer price raised by 1Fr (but it's still cheap).

3. The BlaKat Jam Sessions. These are once-monthly in the Chat Noir in Carouge. First Thursday of the month from 9:30pm. This starts with a show by the host band and then the stage is open. I usually run this one. (I'll be off in March though, so I'll have someone standing in for me). Small entry fee (either 5Fr or 7Fr, can't remember).

That's it. Maybe see you at one of these sessions.
If you can't make a session, then go look at the notice boards in the AMR .It's also a kind of a school, so they have lots of "musicians wanted" adverts on the notice boards.

ernie, Feb 6, 2006 @ 04:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Hey Ernie,

I just joined GoL and was going through the site, when I saw your posting on music.

I have actually jammed at AMR a couple of times but didn't keep contact with many people.

Well, a bit about me. Live in Gva, work in Morges (...I know...) and into jazz for ever. Classical piano studies since the age of 6, played with a bunch of bands in the US during my studies. Afro-Cuban, Brazilian, Funk, basically anything with 'rhythm' in it...

Now with work time is limited but I am looking for reasons to keep playing with people. You know, anything from simple get-together-jamming, to perhaps working on each other's compositions and putting things 'on reel', or even doing the occasional gigg

So I would appreciate if you somehow point me to some people that are in a similar page and know the spaces where we can play/practice.

Thanks in advance,
Lazz
Hey Ernie,

I just joined GoL and was going through the site, when I saw your posting on music.

I have actually jammed at AMR a couple of times but didn't keep contact with many people.

Well, a bit about me. Live in Gva, work in Morges (...I know...) and into jazz for ever. Classical piano studies since the age of 6, played with a bunch of bands in the US during my studies. Afro-Cuban, Brazilian, Funk, basically anything with 'rhythm' in it...

Now with work time is limited but I am looking for reasons to keep playing with people. You know, anything from simple get-together-jamming, to perhaps working on each other's compositions and putting things 'on reel', or even doing the occasional gigg

So I would appreciate if you somehow point me to some people that are in a similar page and know the spaces where we can play/practice.

Thanks in advance,
Lazz
Lazz, Feb 15, 2006 @ 20:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
So you went to AMR a couple of times and didn't keep in touch with any of the cats? Is that 'cos they don't groove enough for you? Or was it just a bad day(s)? My advice: persist. Check out damianosito on GenevaOnline. He plays violin. He's from Greece. He goes quite often to the AMR jam. He's looking for people to play with.

For more groove, go to the BlaKat jam session. These take place once a month at the Chat Noir in Carouge. First Thursday of the every month. Next one is Thursday 2nd March. Bruno Duval (drums) will be running it. And if anyone can groove it's him. If you want to write to him first (tell him Ernie gave you his contact), he's [email protected]. There'll be a good singer with hime too: Peta from Australia. Check it out.

So you went to AMR a couple of times and didn't keep in touch with any of the cats? Is that 'cos they don't groove enough for you? Or was it just a bad day(s)? My advice: persist. Check out damianosito on GenevaOnline. He plays violin. He's from Greece. He goes quite often to the AMR jam. He's looking for people to play with.

For more groove, go to the BlaKat jam session. These take place once a month at the Chat Noir in Carouge. First Thursday of the every month. Next one is Thursday 2nd March. Bruno Duval (drums) will be running it. And if anyone can groove it's him. If you want to write to him first (tell him Ernie gave you his contact), he's [email protected]. There'll be a good singer with hime too: Peta from Australia. Check it out.

ernie, Feb 16, 2006 @ 03:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1127 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form