Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Swiss-Hawaiian into theatre, books, and cats!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swiss-Hawaiian into theatre, books, and cats!

Hi everyone! I'm Sophie a 22 year old college graduate escaping the horrors of the united states! 

I have family here in Switzerland except all of them are over 3 decades older than me! I'm looking for people my age to explore geneva and hang out with. 

Also I'm looking for a good library with english books and a knitting circle accepting of beginners, so if you know any please message me! 

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone! I'm Sophie a 22 year old college graduate escaping the horrors of the united states! 

I have family here in Switzerland except all of them are over 3 decades older than me! I'm looking for people my age to explore geneva and hang out with. 

Also I'm looking for a good library with english books and a knitting circle accepting of beginners, so if you know any please message me! 

Sophie BOct 5, 2019 @ 20:03
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 671 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Swiss-Hawaiian into theatre, books, and cats!
Post 1

Check out the American Library on Rue de Montheux, also there are several book clubs here on glocals which meet twice a month, Geneva International Book Club and Women's Book Club, Mundo Lingo - a language social, GEDS (GENEVA English Drama Society) - they are all under Gloclas groups. Another cool place to meet people is Impact Hub Geneva behind the Cornavain train station - they have many fun events and weekly community lunches on Tuesdays.

Hope this helps, 

Irka

Check out the American Library on Rue de Montheux, also there are several book clubs here on glocals which meet twice a month, Geneva International Book Club and Women's Book Club, Mundo Lingo - a language social, GEDS (GENEVA English Drama Society) - they are all under Gloclas groups. Another cool place to meet people is Impact Hub Geneva behind the Cornavain train station - they have many fun events and weekly community lunches on Tuesdays.

Hope this helps, 

Irka

Irka Virtual, Oct 6, 2019 @ 12:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

> escaping the horrors of the united states

Hey, you Americans voted for that President. Tongue Out

Jokes aside, welcome to Geneva.

Glocals members' average age is 15 years older than yours so it might not be very easy to find people here, but regarding books I suggest the English section of the Payot bookstore (rue de la Confédération 7). It's quite well stocked.

> escaping the horrors of the united states

Hey, you Americans voted for that President. Tongue Out

Jokes aside, welcome to Geneva.

Glocals members' average age is 15 years older than yours so it might not be very easy to find people here, but regarding books I suggest the English section of the Payot bookstore (rue de la Confédération 7). It's quite well stocked.

TheOmegaMan, Oct 6, 2019 @ 19:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hope this helps, 

Irka

Oct 6, 19 12:07

The “American Library” was renamed “Library in English” quite a few years ago and claims to have more than 10,000 books in stock.

However, check their website if visiting in the next few days because access will temporarily be from rue Dr Alfred Vincent.

In addition, the local cantonal libraries have a fair selection of books in English and if they don’t happen to have a particular title in stock they may be able to borrow a copy from another cantonal library in Switzerland.  This can be particularly useful if you ever need a classic or a textbook, etc.

If you don’t mind rummaging, the main charity outlets all have paperbacks in good condition for next to nothing.

And, as we’re approaching Christmas, look out for news of church fairs and bazaars where there can also be a good selection of books on offer.

Lastly, but certainly not least, there’s always the Plainpalais flea market.

Best wishes, R.

The “American Library” was renamed “Library in English” quite a few years ago and claims to have more than 10,000 books in stock.

However, check their website if visiting in the next few days because access will temporarily be from rue Dr Alfred Vincent.

In addition, the local cantonal libraries have a fair selection of books in English and if they don’t happen to have a particular title in stock they may be able to borrow a copy from another cantonal library in Switzerland.  This can be particularly useful if you ever need a classic or a textbook, etc.

If you don’t mind rummaging, the main charity outlets all have paperbacks in good condition for next to nothing.

And, as we’re approaching Christmas, look out for news of church fairs and bazaars where there can also be a good selection of books on offer.

Lastly, but certainly not least, there’s always the Plainpalais flea market.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, Oct 6, 2019 @ 23:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Aloha nui loa Sophie,

Welcome to Geneva. You might want to also check out the local public libraries called "bilbiothèque municipale" where you can borrow books for free. There are several around town and they will defiinitely have an english books section:http://institutions.ville-geneve.ch/fr/bm/

If you need a helping fellow swiss-hawaiian to help you, let me know:)

Enjoy exploring!

Tania

Aloha nui loa Sophie,

Welcome to Geneva. You might want to also check out the local public libraries called "bilbiothèque municipale" where you can borrow books for free. There are several around town and they will defiinitely have an english books section:http://institutions.ville-geneve.ch/fr/bm/

If you need a helping fellow swiss-hawaiian to help you, let me know:)

Enjoy exploring!

Tania

Tina B, Oct 7, 2019 @ 09:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 671 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form