Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > and so here it goes :P

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
and so here it goes :P
Greetings,
Well, I'm currently boarded up in my room thanks to my wicked attack of allergies. I never had allergies until I came to Geneva, (must be this crazy Swiss natural beauty) but it has been too beautiful to resist being outside...and now my eyes, nose, and head are protesting full force. So, while I recover (with my window wide open of course to allow all the lovely pollen and dust to attack my immune system), I will entertain you with some information about myself.

I got a Rotary scholarship to study economics at UniGe for a year, which is a pretty sweet way to go abroad. I am also volunteering with the Red Cross and Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, playing violin in an orchestra, going to the gym daily, and doing rowing/crew with the University team in my spare time.

This is my fourth continent to have visited, and the third one on which to have lived for an extensive period of time. I have never been in Europe before, and honestly I thought Geneva was pretty lame for the first 6 months that I lived here. (Lausanne wasn't too bad--was there for a month). I think it getting adjusted to the language since all my classes are in French and the bleak winter boredom since I lack the coordination to ski or snowboard. You can say I'm more of a snowman/snowball/snowangel maker. Thus my winter sports experience was limited to snowbunny status: sledding and hot-chocolate-consumption (in which I found myself excelling greatly, thanks to the quality of Swiss cocoa).

Anyway, once spring hit, I have finally settled my rocky relationship with Geneva, and I think I'm in love with this city! To quote one of my fav poets "sweet springtime is my time is your time is our time is lovetime and viva sweet love." (ee cummings). The nightlife is still kind of tame, but then again, I'm used to the American college party scene so maybe it's time I get all upscale and chic.

Um, other things: I make one mean pancake, thanks to a nice chemical reaction and two-not-so-secret ingredients. And I will pay 13 chf or some ridiculous price at the American market for imported Bisquick. I love sailing and to being on/in/around water of any type, so yet another reason to love Geneva, and of course I will be finding a way to get to Goteburg since I missed the leg of the Volvo Ocean Race that was at Bmore. My best friends here are German, and while I should still be an ovo-lacto vegetarian, they have gotten me hooked on schinken and what my friend calls "German man food." I have actually met 4 people who were born in Geneva..not too shabby for this international city. Oh, and I'm turning the big 2-1 on April 25th, so maybe any of you have a suggestion as to a memorable way to f?te the big birthday?

Looking forward to meet you all!
Peace out,
Ashley

(I hope that this is sufficient information so that I won't get the "nice to meet you BUT..." from the Nir dude hehe.)
The text you are quoting:
Greetings,
Well, I'm currently boarded up in my room thanks to my wicked attack of allergies. I never had allergies until I came to Geneva, (must be this crazy Swiss natural beauty) but it has been too beautiful to resist being outside...and now my eyes, nose, and head are protesting full force. So, while I recover (with my window wide open of course to allow all the lovely pollen and dust to attack my immune system), I will entertain you with some information about myself.

I got a Rotary scholarship to study economics at UniGe for a year, which is a pretty sweet way to go abroad. I am also volunteering with the Red Cross and Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, playing violin in an orchestra, going to the gym daily, and doing rowing/crew with the University team in my spare time.

This is my fourth continent to have visited, and the third one on which to have lived for an extensive period of time. I have never been in Europe before, and honestly I thought Geneva was pretty lame for the first 6 months that I lived here. (Lausanne wasn't too bad--was there for a month). I think it getting adjusted to the language since all my classes are in French and the bleak winter boredom since I lack the coordination to ski or snowboard. You can say I'm more of a snowman/snowball/snowangel maker. Thus my winter sports experience was limited to snowbunny status: sledding and hot-chocolate-consumption (in which I found myself excelling greatly, thanks to the quality of Swiss cocoa).

Anyway, once spring hit, I have finally settled my rocky relationship with Geneva, and I think I'm in love with this city! To quote one of my fav poets "sweet springtime is my time is your time is our time is lovetime and viva sweet love." (ee cummings). The nightlife is still kind of tame, but then again, I'm used to the American college party scene so maybe it's time I get all upscale and chic.

Um, other things: I make one mean pancake, thanks to a nice chemical reaction and two-not-so-secret ingredients. And I will pay 13 chf or some ridiculous price at the American market for imported Bisquick. I love sailing and to being on/in/around water of any type, so yet another reason to love Geneva, and of course I will be finding a way to get to Goteburg since I missed the leg of the Volvo Ocean Race that was at Bmore. My best friends here are German, and while I should still be an ovo-lacto vegetarian, they have gotten me hooked on schinken and what my friend calls "German man food." I have actually met 4 people who were born in Geneva..not too shabby for this international city. Oh, and I'm turning the big 2-1 on April 25th, so maybe any of you have a suggestion as to a memorable way to f?te the big birthday?

Looking forward to meet you all!
Peace out,
Ashley

(I hope that this is sufficient information so that I won't get the "nice to meet you BUT..." from the Nir dude hehe.)
amariek2Apr 19, 2006 @ 21:02
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1120 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: and so here it goes :P
Post 1
Hi Ashley,
another female, vegetarian, econ student from the States. Id say there's not that many of us around here :)
Welcome online, and hope to meet you sometime. We can organize an econ problem set night. Sounds like fun to me!!!

Cheers,
Nisa
Hi Ashley,
another female, vegetarian, econ student from the States. Id say there's not that many of us around here :)
Welcome online, and hope to meet you sometime. We can organize an econ problem set night. Sounds like fun to me!!!

Cheers,
Nisa
Nisa, Apr 19, 2006 @ 22:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Who would have thought I would have a twin? :P What are the odds of meeting a fellow American vegetarian economics student? Yes, we should definitely meet up for econ problem sets, or at least to boost morale/talk shop haha. Are you taking Econ int b with de Melo? How long is your masters?

Cheers,
Ashley
Who would have thought I would have a twin? :P What are the odds of meeting a fellow American vegetarian economics student? Yes, we should definitely meet up for econ problem sets, or at least to boost morale/talk shop haha. Are you taking Econ int b with de Melo? How long is your masters?

Cheers,
Ashley
amariek2, Apr 20, 2006 @ 14:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Hi there, and a warm welcome to Geneva! Just have to say that the headline you have chosen for your profile is brilliant! "Greenspan is your homeboy"....great stuff, but what about Ben Bernanke??? He might feel left out just because he is the new boy! Congratulations on a fun title choice! Hope you like the GoL website as much as I do and hope to say hi to you at one of the upcoming GoL parties. Best wishes, Phil.
Hi there, and a warm welcome to Geneva! Just have to say that the headline you have chosen for your profile is brilliant! "Greenspan is your homeboy"....great stuff, but what about Ben Bernanke??? He might feel left out just because he is the new boy! Congratulations on a fun title choice! Hope you like the GoL website as much as I do and hope to say hi to you at one of the upcoming GoL parties. Best wishes, Phil.
phil, Apr 20, 2006 @ 23:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Glad you enjoyed my title :D Who can resist a dude who starts studying clarinet at Juilliard and then becomes one of the main hands behind the largest economy in the world? I hear he still plays one smooth saxophone.

Anyway, for Ben Bernanke...not too shabby credentials but he claims that global saving can sustain US growth and that the housing market really isn't a bubble. But I guess it's not the skill in being a fortune teller but rather the ability to have quick reflexes in face of crises that makes a good chairmen of Fed reserve great.

I could talk econ forever because I know there are insomniacs out there in need of a good night's sleep (or at least a quick pick-me-up nap) haha. I don't really know much about macroeconomics, endogenous growth, or monetary policy though. Thanks for the shoutout to the excellent title :D
Glad you enjoyed my title :D Who can resist a dude who starts studying clarinet at Juilliard and then becomes one of the main hands behind the largest economy in the world? I hear he still plays one smooth saxophone.

Anyway, for Ben Bernanke...not too shabby credentials but he claims that global saving can sustain US growth and that the housing market really isn't a bubble. But I guess it's not the skill in being a fortune teller but rather the ability to have quick reflexes in face of crises that makes a good chairmen of Fed reserve great.

I could talk econ forever because I know there are insomniacs out there in need of a good night's sleep (or at least a quick pick-me-up nap) haha. I don't really know much about macroeconomics, endogenous growth, or monetary policy though. Thanks for the shoutout to the excellent title :D
amariek2, Apr 21, 2006 @ 02:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1120 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form