Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > Advertisements in Group Forums.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Advertisements in Group Forums.

Advertisements in group forums have been becoming very frequent lately.  You know who you are...

The problem is that there is nothing you can do to combat it.  Right now it isn't possible to report the negative behavior.  As the group admin I remove the advertisements and boot the person from the group... problem solved right.  Not exactly they just resubscribe and post new advertisements.

So how to fix it.

a. Have a way to report this unsavory behavior to the site admins.

b. Be able to permanently boot people from groups or keep them from posting further advertisements somehow.

Anyway there has to be a way to combat this problem.  Just my view.

The text you are quoting:

Advertisements in group forums have been becoming very frequent lately.  You know who you are...

The problem is that there is nothing you can do to combat it.  Right now it isn't possible to report the negative behavior.  As the group admin I remove the advertisements and boot the person from the group... problem solved right.  Not exactly they just resubscribe and post new advertisements.

So how to fix it.

a. Have a way to report this unsavory behavior to the site admins.

b. Be able to permanently boot people from groups or keep them from posting further advertisements somehow.

Anyway there has to be a way to combat this problem.  Just my view.

Joshua SDec 5, 2012 @ 22:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1490 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Advertisements in Group Forums.
Post 1

Yes... It's quite tempting to advertise in the forums as the information will appear on the homepage.

Maybe a section on the homepage could be helpful that shows the most recent classified postings?!

Yes... It's quite tempting to advertise in the forums as the information will appear on the homepage.

Maybe a section on the homepage could be helpful that shows the most recent classified postings?!

rena, Dec 5, 2012 @ 23:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Dec 5, 12 23:08

That won't stop people. The reason why post ads in the forums is because they're reaching people who aren't specifically looking for something. A classifieds section on the front page won't help them so they'll keep posting in the forums.

I haven't noticed an increase myself; as far as I can tell there have always been ads. Recently there have been a few with Christmas gifts and decoration, but there have always been posts of people starting companies or offering themselves as nannies. 

The only way to fix it is really by allowing people to report posts and then having them removed. Punishing the advertisers won't help much because most of them only post once anyway, and they are not regular forum users. 

That won't stop people. The reason why post ads in the forums is because they're reaching people who aren't specifically looking for something. A classifieds section on the front page won't help them so they'll keep posting in the forums.

I haven't noticed an increase myself; as far as I can tell there have always been ads. Recently there have been a few with Christmas gifts and decoration, but there have always been posts of people starting companies or offering themselves as nannies. 

The only way to fix it is really by allowing people to report posts and then having them removed. Punishing the advertisers won't help much because most of them only post once anyway, and they are not regular forum users. 

Edward B, Dec 6, 2012 @ 00:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Interesting to read your comments. I agree with Edward, that those who post ads in the forums are reaching people they otherwise dont reach in the classifieds.

I have posted in the forums myself, to attract people who may suddenly find interest in my services, that i otherwise would not reach. However I only do this when I find that members are not seeing my Advert in the classifieds. I have also found that there are certain people who deliberately advertise on the events pages, as a way of reaching specific groups of members. Of course it is easy to delete the posts as soon as they appear. 

A solution to this would be to put the commercial things to do at the front page as this covers all areas. Im sure that glocals members do not view the commercial things to do as the norm, only if they are looking for specific things. 

As a regular organiser of events, and an active member of glocals, I can see both sides of the argument. I would prefer not to see adverts in the forum, but then this must apply to all people. I would be happy to pay an nominal sum to advertise on the main page if this were possible. 

As for adverts within group postings, the people responsible should be removed from the group, and maybe even removed from the site. 

Groups are for the members to organise events, and I would remove any people advertising on an event page that didnt ask me first for permission.

Interesting to read your comments. I agree with Edward, that those who post ads in the forums are reaching people they otherwise dont reach in the classifieds.

I have posted in the forums myself, to attract people who may suddenly find interest in my services, that i otherwise would not reach. However I only do this when I find that members are not seeing my Advert in the classifieds. I have also found that there are certain people who deliberately advertise on the events pages, as a way of reaching specific groups of members. Of course it is easy to delete the posts as soon as they appear. 

A solution to this would be to put the commercial things to do at the front page as this covers all areas. Im sure that glocals members do not view the commercial things to do as the norm, only if they are looking for specific things. 

As a regular organiser of events, and an active member of glocals, I can see both sides of the argument. I would prefer not to see adverts in the forum, but then this must apply to all people. I would be happy to pay an nominal sum to advertise on the main page if this were possible. 

As for adverts within group postings, the people responsible should be removed from the group, and maybe even removed from the site. 

Groups are for the members to organise events, and I would remove any people advertising on an event page that didnt ask me first for permission.

Karl N, Dec 6, 2012 @ 09:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

To me starting a thread in the forums to advertise is one thing, probably still wrong but easily ignored.

Constantly posting advertisements to group forums is the concern I have here.   A lot of people have emails notifications set up for these messages and this can become bothersome.

To be clear I am not talking about a one time thing.. I have people advertising then I boot them from the group and delete the message only to have them rejoin days later and submit new advertisements.

To me starting a thread in the forums to advertise is one thing, probably still wrong but easily ignored.

Constantly posting advertisements to group forums is the concern I have here.   A lot of people have emails notifications set up for these messages and this can become bothersome.

To be clear I am not talking about a one time thing.. I have people advertising then I boot them from the group and delete the message only to have them rejoin days later and submit new advertisements.

Joshua S, Dec 6, 2012 @ 13:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Joshua,

Just send me the names of the serial posters and I'll take care of it.

Thanks

Oded

Hi Joshua,

Just send me the names of the serial posters and I'll take care of it.

Thanks

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Dec 6, 2012 @ 14:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I just deleted two postings from the Geneva mountain hiking group - no problem. Have not worked out how to delete them from membership but one who was advertising B&B in Cham was also giving recent snow report - so there was two way information.  If he posts again I will let it stay on until the snow forecast is no longer valid.  I think I am talking the same posters as Joshua 

So Oded, as far as I am concerned this is not something tha has got out of hand and I do n ot think it even needs nipping in the bud

Joshua - thanks for pointing out how to delete andf watch out Saturday if you are skiing. Avalanche level 4 I have akready changed my snowshoe  destination

I just deleted two postings from the Geneva mountain hiking group - no problem. Have not worked out how to delete them from membership but one who was advertising B&B in Cham was also giving recent snow report - so there was two way information.  If he posts again I will let it stay on until the snow forecast is no longer valid.  I think I am talking the same posters as Joshua 

So Oded, as far as I am concerned this is not something tha has got out of hand and I do n ot think it even needs nipping in the bud

Joshua - thanks for pointing out how to delete andf watch out Saturday if you are skiing. Avalanche level 4 I have akready changed my snowshoe  destination

Paul E, Dec 6, 2012 @ 15:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Well the point being Paul that even if it included a snow report he was trying to convince people to come to Chamonix.

I don't like that he posted it but it upset me more that he posted it then I deleted it removed him from the group and then it was reposted.  So the reality of the situation is that there is no recourse.

In general I think there should be a "Report to Admin" option for group posting like in the case of forum posts.  So if people are constantly advertising where they shouldn't the Site Admins can take care of it.

Paul - Thanks for the heads up, will be snowboarding in bounds this weekend as a precaution.

Well the point being Paul that even if it included a snow report he was trying to convince people to come to Chamonix.

I don't like that he posted it but it upset me more that he posted it then I deleted it removed him from the group and then it was reposted.  So the reality of the situation is that there is no recourse.

In general I think there should be a "Report to Admin" option for group posting like in the case of forum posts.  So if people are constantly advertising where they shouldn't the Site Admins can take care of it.

Paul - Thanks for the heads up, will be snowboarding in bounds this weekend as a precaution.

Joshua S, Dec 6, 2012 @ 17:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

It's a good post, i find Glocals is great site vs Internations. Here all is friendly and it is sad some guys think only of profit.

I hope Glocals won't be like Internations, where even for joining group u need special membership, and none of admins of groups i liked agreed to accept my friendship just beacuse i am not Albatros memember. Same group admins post activities here but mostly it is comercial and nothing to do with local glocals get to know....

U revealed good theme, adding option A could be a good solution...

there all u have is PUB and money deal, here we have free ways to communicate and ge

It's a good post, i find Glocals is great site vs Internations. Here all is friendly and it is sad some guys think only of profit.

I hope Glocals won't be like Internations, where even for joining group u need special membership, and none of admins of groups i liked agreed to accept my friendship just beacuse i am not Albatros memember. Same group admins post activities here but mostly it is comercial and nothing to do with local glocals get to know....

U revealed good theme, adding option A could be a good solution...

there all u have is PUB and money deal, here we have free ways to communicate and ge

Rena A, Dec 27, 2012 @ 11:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1490 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form