Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > BIZARRENESS: serving of placeholder or site ?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
BIZARRENESS: serving of placeholder or site ?
I tried to access the site a few times this morning, but got repeatedly served the sweating SiteAdmin page. But the site was working for other people. Cleared my cache: same thing. Cleared all my private data: same thing. Tried a different browser: same thing. Yes, I spotted that at some point (and maybe still) that glocals.com always served the placeholder while www.glocals.com should serve the main page. Switched from ethernet to wifi: same thing.

Then I went to a proxy server and BANG: main page. From that point on the site has loaded normally in my broswer with no need for the proxy.

:head-scratch:

The text you are quoting:
I tried to access the site a few times this morning, but got repeatedly served the sweating SiteAdmin page. But the site was working for other people. Cleared my cache: same thing. Cleared all my private data: same thing. Tried a different browser: same thing. Yes, I spotted that at some point (and maybe still) that glocals.com always served the placeholder while www.glocals.com should serve the main page. Switched from ethernet to wifi: same thing.

Then I went to a proxy server and BANG: main page. From that point on the site has loaded normally in my broswer with no need for the proxy.

:head-scratch:

hayesAug 10, 2009 @ 14:37
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1435 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: BIZARRENESS: serving of placeholder or site ?
Post 1
Here's some more bizarrness.

The 'Reply' button now works for me.

The most iritating bugs are the ones that happen on and off.

Harder to track them down and demolish them.

O

O
SiteAdmin Oded, Aug 10, 2009 @ 15:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

O
Aug 10, 09 15:01
And for me too, apparently.

The slow punctures are always the hardest ones to find - sometimes you'd rather the whole thing were blown out.

The slow punctures are always the hardest ones to find - sometimes you'd rather the whole thing were blown out.

hayes, Aug 10, 2009 @ 15:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Aug 10, 09 15:06
 I wouldn't take it that far, but I would prefer a bug that happens all the time, and dispapears once fixed.

Its similar to going to the garage and trying to make your car repeat the strange noises its been making all week...
 I wouldn't take it that far, but I would prefer a bug that happens all the time, and dispapears once fixed.

Its similar to going to the garage and trying to make your car repeat the strange noises its been making all week...
SiteAdmin Oded, Aug 10, 2009 @ 15:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
 It all depends on your internet service, if they are keeping the DNS records in their local cache for a long time, it will hold there until they renew it.
 It all depends on your internet service, if they are keeping the DNS records in their local cache for a long time, it will hold there until they renew it.

StephenSQL, Aug 10, 2009 @ 17:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Aug 10, 09 17:59
Really? The DNS server caches the whole page?

I tried using both ethernet and wifi networks at UniGE over a couple of hours. There is overlap in the DNS lists but they aren't identical. But yeah, they are probably identically configured.

I was surprised that my browser (without proxy) could access the main site immediately -- i mean, really, within < 30 seconds -- after one connection via a proxy. That suggested to me it was somehow a local problem (although I couldn't think of what). It never occurred to me that the problem could have been half way between.

Interesting.
Really? The DNS server caches the whole page?

I tried using both ethernet and wifi networks at UniGE over a couple of hours. There is overlap in the DNS lists but they aren't identical. But yeah, they are probably identically configured.

I was surprised that my browser (without proxy) could access the main site immediately -- i mean, really, within < 30 seconds -- after one connection via a proxy. That suggested to me it was somehow a local problem (although I couldn't think of what). It never occurred to me that the problem could have been half way between.

Interesting.

hayes, Aug 10, 2009 @ 18:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
@ Hayes

Stephen manages the hosting company where the old site was hosted.

We had to bring in the 'Big Guns' so we could seem smarter than you for once :-)

O
@ Hayes

We had to bring in the 'Big Guns' so we could seem smarter than you for once :-)

O
SiteAdmin Oded, Aug 10, 2009 @ 18:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
@ Hayes

O
Aug 10, 09 18:29
Hey! I was just asking a question! I genuinely didn't know that was a possibility. I'm just trying to learn like everybody else (should be) -- that's why I ended on the word interesting... Given his name, it's almost a given that StephenSQL is a bigger gun than me. Really... configuring servers and networks and dealing with databases... that stuff is not for me.

Anyway, thanks StephenSQL. I'm gonig to go back up and press the Thank Poster button now... if it works ;)
Hey! I was just asking a question! I genuinely didn't know that was a possibility. I'm just trying to learn like everybody else (should be) -- that's why I ended on the word interesting... Given his name, it's almost a given that StephenSQL is a bigger gun than me. Really... configuring servers and networks and dealing with databases... that stuff is not for me.

Anyway, thanks StephenSQL. I'm gonig to go back up and press the Thank Poster button now... if it works ;)

hayes, Aug 10, 2009 @ 18:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Aug 10, 09 18:34
Actually they just cache the DNS A record, their are some tricks to force an update of the DNS servers. one of them that sometimes works is the proxy you mentioned.

However, your PC also have a local DNS resolver cache which is rather easy to clear in WindowsXP/2000 by going to command line and then typing (start, run, cmd, press enter) then:
ipconfig /flushdns

this will clear on your PC side immediate, however not your ISP side, so there are 2 major cache points before it can get out to the new DNS servers and get the proper new record.

I had thought about asking SiteAdmin to put this on the old placeholder page, but it would likely just frustrate people as on vista it gives an error because of the admin access level, and just bring a whole new level of technical support needs to the table, when it will self clear in 12-24 hours in most cases anyway.

Actually they just cache the DNS A record, their are some tricks to force an update of the DNS servers. one of them that sometimes works is the proxy you mentioned.

However, your PC also have a local DNS resolver cache which is rather easy to clear in WindowsXP/2000 by going to command line and then typing (start, run, cmd, press enter) then:
ipconfig /flushdns

this will clear on your PC side immediate, however not your ISP side, so there are 2 major cache points before it can get out to the new DNS servers and get the proper new record.

I had thought about asking SiteAdmin to put this on the old placeholder page, but it would likely just frustrate people as on vista it gives an error because of the admin access level, and just bring a whole new level of technical support needs to the table, when it will self clear in 12-24 hours in most cases anyway.

StephenSQL, Aug 10, 2009 @ 21:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
An excellent response! Thanks StephenSQL. I'm afraid I've been Windows-free since 2006 but the "flush DNS resolver cache" instruction would be fine. On the computer I use most, that'd equate to dscacheutil -flushcache, in the shell, but anyway: Great -- thanks :)
An excellent response! Thanks StephenSQL. I'm afraid I've been Windows-free since 2006 but the "flush DNS resolver cache" instruction would be fine. On the computer I use most, that'd equate to dscacheutil -flushcache, in the shell, but anyway: Great -- thanks :)

hayes, Aug 11, 2009 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1435 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form