Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > Caching working properly??

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Caching working properly??
Hi there,

I have a question about whether the site is allowing browsers to cache images correctly. I've noticed that every time I go to the home page after a delay of more than an hour or two, the browser downloads a whole heap of images (this can be seen in the status bar at the bottom). The number of images is about 60 & is causing a delay.

I checked the HTML & it appears to have the directive:
<meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">

I might have misunderstood but doesn't this tell the browser not to cache any of the site? Is this right?

I'm not an expert so please accept my apologies if I've missed something...

Cheers
Kathy
The text you are quoting:
Hi there,

I have a question about whether the site is allowing browsers to cache images correctly. I've noticed that every time I go to the home page after a delay of more than an hour or two, the browser downloads a whole heap of images (this can be seen in the status bar at the bottom). The number of images is about 60 & is causing a delay.

I checked the HTML & it appears to have the directive:
<meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">

I might have misunderstood but doesn't this tell the browser not to cache any of the site? Is this right?

I'm not an expert so please accept my apologies if I've missed something...

Cheers
Kathy
kathylSep 1, 2009 @ 13:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

1 Replies | 1210 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: Caching working properly??
Post 1
This directive does not affect images. So it seems that images are
properly cached. The server response is "Not Modified". But a browser always sends a request to figure out
whether or not it should get a full image that's why you can see
lots of messages about images being requested. As a side effect it pulls also cookies on every such request and it appears to be a quite big chuck of data. But in general the delay may be caused ultimately by a slow (or busy) server that used.
The text you are quoting:
This directive does not affect images. So it seems that images are
properly cached. The server response is "Not Modified". But a browser always sends a request to figure out
whether or not it should get a full image that's why you can see
lots of messages about images being requested. As a side effect it pulls also cookies on every such request and it appears to be a quite big chuck of data. But in general the delay may be caused ultimately by a slow (or busy) server that used.

Vitaly, Sep 1, 2009 @ 14:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
1 Replies | 1210 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form