Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > Glocals Mobile for iOS is now available on AppStore

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Glocals Mobile for iOS is now available on AppStore

Finally after 2 weeks of reviewing Apple has approved the first version of Glocals Mobile for iOS and now it is available on AppStore for downloading. It is FREE for everyone and showing no ads. I want to thank everyone who have helped me testing this app. Special thanks to Denisa H for her findings and detailed comments. The app is my little commitment to the glocals community. Thanks you all for what you are doing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glocals-mobile/id717140840?ls=1&mt=8

The text you are quoting:

Finally after 2 weeks of reviewing Apple has approved the first version of Glocals Mobile for iOS and now it is available on AppStore for downloading. It is FREE for everyone and showing no ads. I want to thank everyone who have helped me testing this app. Special thanks to Denisa H for her findings and detailed comments. The app is my little commitment to the glocals community. Thanks you all for what you are doing.

VitalyOct 12, 2013 @ 13:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

30 Replies | 6236 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Glocals Mobile for iOS is now available on AppStore
Post 1

Thanks, great app. Suggestion for future versions: ability to filter activities by city depending where you are living - eg Geneva only.

Thanks, great app. Suggestion for future versions: ability to filter activities by city depending where you are living - eg Geneva only.

Juliane S, Oct 12, 2013 @ 19:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Oct 12, 13 19:37

Hi Juliane,

Just go to activities than tap on the filter button than choose your city.

Hi Juliane,

Just go to activities than tap on the filter button than choose your city.

Vitaly, Oct 12, 2013 @ 20:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't seen the filter button.  I can't seem to get the selection buttons to work - not sure if it is just my ipad so will also download to the iphone and check it.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't seen the filter button.  I can't seem to get the selection buttons to work - not sure if it is just my ipad so will also download to the iphone and check it.

Juliane S, Oct 12, 2013 @ 23:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

way to go vitaly! did you reverse engineer this or was it a collaboration with glocals admin?

way to go vitaly! did you reverse engineer this or was it a collaboration with glocals admin?

Zonker, Oct 12, 2013 @ 23:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Oct 12, 13 23:46

i see it on the top left, looks like an Funnel/antena or , just next ot a like refresh button. then where you see City : All, just place your finger and flick to the left, you will get Geneva, first choice..

Other options is Interval, TYPE, Attendance.

i see it on the top left, looks like an Funnel/antena or , just next ot a like refresh button. then where you see City : All, just place your finger and flick to the left, you will get Geneva, first choice..

Other options is Interval, TYPE, Attendance.

Dave G, Oct 13, 2013 @ 01:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Pretty handy! Thanks for sharing. 

Pretty handy! Thanks for sharing. 

Cindy L, Oct 13, 2013 @ 13:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Oct 12, 13 23:57

It is a simple reverse engineering. JSON hijacking + a bit screenscraping. It would definitely benefit from some sort of support from the site developers but I didn't ask for it since it sounds quite unbelievable. It is a lot of work to improve the API, IMHO.

It is a simple reverse engineering. JSON hijacking + a bit screenscraping. It would definitely benefit from some sort of support from the site developers but I didn't ask for it since it sounds quite unbelievable. It is a lot of work to improve the API, IMHO.

Vitaly, Oct 14, 2013 @ 10:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Vitaly,

If this is not approved by the Glocals admin, does this mean when we upload to our iphones, you then can start collecting personal data, save our passwords, etc.

Vitaly,

If this is not approved by the Glocals admin, does this mean when we upload to our iphones, you then can start collecting personal data, save our passwords, etc.

Dave G, Oct 14, 2013 @ 11:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Vitaly,

Oct 14, 13 11:59

In principle the app can send some data to some super-duper hacker's web service but this would be very easy to spot by anyone who can watch the trafic and truly speaking it is useless for anyone except FBI staff maybe ;) The app doesn't use any other web service except glocals.com so all your acount info, messages, etc. are kept secure with you. It doesn't even cache this sort of information. It goes directly to the site to get the latest info. The only thing it stores is your email and password in order to keep you logged in but even this info is stored securely in encoded format. That was in particular one of the reasons not to create some sort of intermediate web service but encapsulate all the app's logic in the app only. In the next version I plan to include some sort of Privacy policy to make all of this clear.

In principle the app can send some data to some super-duper hacker's web service but this would be very easy to spot by anyone who can watch the trafic and truly speaking it is useless for anyone except FBI staff maybe ;) The app doesn't use any other web service except glocals.com so all your acount info, messages, etc. are kept secure with you. It doesn't even cache this sort of information. It goes directly to the site to get the latest info. The only thing it stores is your email and password in order to keep you logged in but even this info is stored securely in encoded format. That was in particular one of the reasons not to create some sort of intermediate web service but encapsulate all the app's logic in the app only. In the next version I plan to include some sort of Privacy policy to make all of this clear.

Vitaly, Oct 14, 2013 @ 13:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I think if you got an ok/go ahead by the Glocals site admins, you will get a huge roleout , or huge banner on the website of this new iphone application, unfortunatly Richdog is right, tha alot people will be disapointed there is no android version.

I think if you got an ok/go ahead by the Glocals site admins, you will get a huge roleout , or huge banner on the website of this new iphone application, unfortunatly Richdog is right, tha alot people will be disapointed there is no android version.

Dave G, Oct 14, 2013 @ 13:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Oct 14, 13 13:58

A huge rollout or huge banner on the website of this new iPhone application? It is not Facebook or Twitter :) The app is entirely and totally free of ads and any other commercial additions. It is for those who need it. The site admins have been asked for a mobile frendly version several times during several years with no luck so someone had to come and do it finally :)

A huge rollout or huge banner on the website of this new iPhone application? It is not Facebook or Twitter :) The app is entirely and totally free of ads and any other commercial additions. It is for those who need it. The site admins have been asked for a mobile frendly version several times during several years with no luck so someone had to come and do it finally :)

Vitaly, Oct 14, 2013 @ 14:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I have used the app and it works quite well.  In a future release could you make it so it remebers the filter settings.  This would be quite useful.

Otherwise good work and thanks

Jonathan

I have used the app and it works quite well.  In a future release could you make it so it remebers the filter settings.  This would be quite useful.

Otherwise good work and thanks

Jonathan

Jonathan S, Oct 14, 2013 @ 14:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Wow Vitaly!  Well done - really.  Glocals on ios has been a p.a.i.n.f.u.l. experience for soooo long!

Wow Vitaly!  Well done - really.  Glocals on ios has been a p.a.i.n.f.u.l. experience for soooo long!

hucklewoo, Oct 14, 2013 @ 15:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Finally, Thanks a lot :D 

Finally, Thanks a lot :D 

praveen143, Nov 18, 2013 @ 22:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Thanks guys....really appreciated.

Thanks guys....really appreciated.

Malick D, Nov 19, 2013 @ 11:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Please guys rate the application and give your feedback:

(Vitaly needs that information to develop the Android version)

Please guys rate the application and give your feedback:

(Vitaly needs that information to develop the Android version)

Yoann Toussaint, Mar 24, 2014 @ 22:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Hi,

is this app still alive? Unfortunately I cannot find it on the AppStore and using the glocals.com on iOS is just impossible :-(

Thanks for any hint.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi,

is this app still alive? Unfortunately I cannot find it on the AppStore and using the glocals.com on iOS is just impossible :-(

Thanks for any hint.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris O, Sep 28, 2015 @ 18:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

I'm interested to get this app as well, tried to download but it kept asking me to switch to US store

I'm interested to get this app as well, tried to download but it kept asking me to switch to US store
Fiona Liew, Sep 28, 2015 @ 22:33

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Sep 28, 15 22:33

This time I am mostly focused on web/android development so I didn't pay for my account on Apple for a while. That's why the app is not available on AppStore any more. I could maybe send you the binaries but I am pretty sure the app needs to be adopted for iOS 7/8 so it will not work just out of the box.

This time I am mostly focused on web/android development so I didn't pay for my account on Apple for a while. That's why the app is not available on AppStore any more. I could maybe send you the binaries but I am pretty sure the app needs to be adopted for iOS 7/8 so it will not work just out of the box.

Vitaly, Oct 1, 2015 @ 12:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Oct 1, 15 12:02

Hi Vitaly,

thanks for the info. All that hassle would not be necessary if the original website worked with the iOS browser. Is there some "official" glocals API you are using or is your app scraping the information directly from the HTML?

Cheers,Chris

Hi Vitaly,

thanks for the info. All that hassle would not be necessary if the original website worked with the iOS browser. Is there some "official" glocals API you are using or is your app scraping the information directly from the HTML?

Cheers,Chris

Chris O, Oct 10, 2015 @ 14:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Hi Vitaly,

Cheers,Chris

Oct 10, 15 14:00

Hey Chris,

The app does some screen scraping but mostly uses reverse engineered ajax calls.

The "official" glocals API? Laughing That would be a luxury. Even internal API is inconsistent which makes reverse engineering a bit painful.

Unfortunately I didn't add anything to gather analytics so I can't say so sure but it seems that the app wasn't actively used. I barely had no feedback at all so I almost forgot about it. That's probably why the glocals owners aren't interested in investing into improving mobile experience.

Vitaly

Hey Chris,

The app does some screen scraping but mostly uses reverse engineered ajax calls.

The "official" glocals API? Laughing That would be a luxury. Even internal API is inconsistent which makes reverse engineering a bit painful.

Unfortunately I didn't add anything to gather analytics so I can't say so sure but it seems that the app wasn't actively used. I barely had no feedback at all so I almost forgot about it. That's probably why the glocals owners aren't interested in investing into improving mobile experience.

Vitaly

Vitaly, Oct 11, 2015 @ 16:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

I didnt know Android was still used ;)

aires marques, Nov 25, 2015 @ 14:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Nov 25, 15 14:17

You think IOS dominates the OS market? read on.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

Wink

You think IOS dominates the OS market? read on.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

Wink

gerald m, Nov 25, 2015 @ 16:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Hi Vitaly,

just to let you know your app works just fine on ios 7, 8, 9...!  Shame its no longer on the app store ...

Hi Vitaly,

just to let you know your app works just fine on ios 7, 8, 9...!  Shame its no longer on the app store ...

hucklewoo, Nov 25, 2015 @ 16:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

What? I was about to get this app

What? I was about to get this app
Natalja Zelenkova, Sep 21, 2017 @ 10:11

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

It looks like the app doesnt exist anymore. Would really be good to have a working app. I'm hardly ever at the computer and it works really bad on my phone browser. Cant even click on the 2nd page of events for example, it doesnt work. Not to mention that all is really small because it is a destop version even on phones.

It looks like the app doesnt exist anymore. Would really be good to have a working app. I'm hardly ever at the computer and it works really bad on my phone browser. Cant even click on the 2nd page of events for example, it doesnt work. Not to mention that all is really small because it is a destop version even on phones.

Bella B, Jul 30, 2018 @ 11:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Damn, i tried to download it too and it cannot be obtained in CH :-(

Damn, i tried to download it too and it cannot be obtained in CH :-(

buzzcocks, May 4, 2019 @ 11:13