Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > Glocals messaging doesn't work on iPad & iPhone

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Glocals messaging doesn't work on iPad & iPhone

Is there any plans on making Glocals compatible with those two devices' browsers? It doesn't work either on Safari or Opera. Very hard to respond to messages, posts, ... on the go...

Thanks

The text you are quoting:

Is there any plans on making Glocals compatible with those two devices' browsers? It doesn't work either on Safari or Opera. Very hard to respond to messages, posts, ... on the go...

Thanks

qwertzJul 19, 2010 @ 22:11
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1737 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Glocals messaging doesn't work on iPad & iPhone
Post 1

I agree.

Apps for iPhone/iPod, Symbian and Android platforms would be great (such as Spotify does it).

I agree.

Apps for iPhone/iPod, Symbian and Android platforms would be great (such as Spotify does it).

FerneyL, Jul 19, 2010 @ 23:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Tested, it's not just an Apple thing, same problem with Android. 

Tested, it's not just an Apple thing, same problem with Android. 

Richard A, Jul 20, 2010 @ 08:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

It is possible to message via Iphone if you enable java, and keep pressing down on the screen, throw the phone at the wall, curse some, then curse some more, wait 2 hrs for the thing to load up, then crash, then reload, and eventually maybe , when you want to reply you will figure out that you have to start a completely new message via clicking on your friends name and email link.

Someone please invent an app, we have enough "techs" here for someone to do it surely?

It is possible to message via Iphone if you enable java, and keep pressing down on the screen, throw the phone at the wall, curse some, then curse some more, wait 2 hrs for the thing to load up, then crash, then reload, and eventually maybe , when you want to reply you will figure out that you have to start a completely new message via clicking on your friends name and email link.

Someone please invent an app, we have enough "techs" here for someone to do it surely?

Charlie, Jul 20, 2010 @ 08:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

@charlie working on it... ;) 

@charlie working on it... ;) 

Zonker, Jul 20, 2010 @ 10:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I believe it is somewhat linked also to Flash support and Adobe Shockwave on these two devices. 

I believe it is somewhat linked also to Flash support and Adobe Shockwave on these two devices. 

Ioan Caltun, Jul 20, 2010 @ 10:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

@ioan ok, let's not perpetuate falsehoods.... chat on glocals is not Flash-based, so therefore it has nothing to do with Apple's decision to not support Flash.

It has everything to do with the fact that the glocals web pages are VERY heavy with JavaScript and bloated CSS which is not cached and therefore every time you load the page, it has to RE-download the entire page.

Do yourself a favor: download Safari, open any glocals page and then use the Developer menu (which might have to be activated) to profile the HTML, CSS and JavaScript on the page. It's waaaaaaaaay too big.

That's why it's slow.

Full stop.

@ioan ok, let's not perpetuate falsehoods.... chat on glocals is not Flash-based, so therefore it has nothing to do with Apple's decision to not support Flash.

It has everything to do with the fact that the glocals web pages are VERY heavy with JavaScript and bloated CSS which is not cached and therefore every time you load the page, it has to RE-download the entire page.

Do yourself a favor: download Safari, open any glocals page and then use the Developer menu (which might have to be activated) to profile the HTML, CSS and JavaScript on the page. It's waaaaaaaaay too big.

That's why it's slow.

Full stop.

Zonker, Jul 20, 2010 @ 10:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

My appologies ! 

I have a Macbook so I use Safari every day. 

Did not check the page content... you're right. 

Moreover I am useless in developpement or Web technologies... I only do systems and network architectures and operations. 

I see your point now. 

PS: Hope to chat once in Starbucks if I can pass. 

Have a good day !! 

Ioan 

My appologies ! 

I have a Macbook so I use Safari every day. 

Did not check the page content... you're right. 

Moreover I am useless in developpement or Web technologies... I only do systems and network architectures and operations. 

I see your point now. 

PS: Hope to chat once in Starbucks if I can pass. 

Have a good day !! 

Ioan 

Ioan Caltun, Jul 20, 2010 @ 10:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

After the Iphone 4 debacle, I'm starting to think the problem is with Apple not with glocals...

After the Iphone 4 debacle, I'm starting to think the problem is with Apple not with glocals...

SiteAdmin Oded, Jul 20, 2010 @ 10:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

@iaon np, man! would love to see you at Starbucks or another venue. I get out from time to time.

Unfortunately, you have unleashed another distraction for me. I've been looking 'under the hood' for the last 10-15 minutes of this page alone.

I looked at the little ads on the top right of this page. Once it was the "20% off Insurance with Fanny Delatour" ad. Once it was "The glocals City Guide" and once it was "SuccessMatch". They are JPEG files, respectively 53 KB, 53 KB and 61 KB in size. I saved them as GIFs, as they should be, and the sizes are 25, 29, 16 KB.

All the links on the page are fully-qualified URLs, such as "http://www.glocals.com/blah/blah/blah/page.html" when it would suffice to drop the initial "http://www.glocals.com/" which is a savings of 23 characters. Multiply that by the 185 occurences of that string and another 5 KB is saved.

Then there's the 12 KB of JavaScript which is embedded in the page, instead of being loaded from an external file. Why is this not good? Because the browser can't cache the script. It has to re-load it Every Time.

There's more, but the problems existed long ago.

@iaon np, man! would love to see you at Starbucks or another venue. I get out from time to time.

Unfortunately, you have unleashed another distraction for me. I've been looking 'under the hood' for the last 10-15 minutes of this page alone.

I looked at the little ads on the top right of this page. Once it was the "20% off Insurance with Fanny Delatour" ad. Once it was "The glocals City Guide" and once it was "SuccessMatch". They are JPEG files, respectively 53 KB, 53 KB and 61 KB in size. I saved them as GIFs, as they should be, and the sizes are 25, 29, 16 KB.

All the links on the page are fully-qualified URLs, such as "http://www.glocals.com/blah/blah/blah/page.html" when it would suffice to drop the initial "http://www.glocals.com/" which is a savings of 23 characters. Multiply that by the 185 occurences of that string and another 5 KB is saved.

Then there's the 12 KB of JavaScript which is embedded in the page, instead of being loaded from an external file. Why is this not good? Because the browser can't cache the script. It has to re-load it Every Time.

There's more, but the problems existed long ago.

Zonker, Jul 20, 2010 @ 10:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1737 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form