Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > How about extending Glocals to the USA??

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
How about extending Glocals to the USA??

Hi everyone, 

I recently moved to the US and have been missing glocals quite a bit.  The only thing that comes close to Glocals in the US is meetup.com and to be quite honest, it sucks and its expensive as hell.  On meetup, if you would like organize something it will cost you $180 / yr.... up from $140 /yr.  I mean, $15/mth is not much if you organize things every weekend, but if you are not that much into organizing events that often then it becomes quite expensive.

So yes, I miss the fact that Glocals has remained a free service for the most part, and I only wish we could start the same in US.  Other than that, hope to go back to Switzerland soon!

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone, 

I recently moved to the US and have been missing glocals quite a bit.  The only thing that comes close to Glocals in the US is meetup.com and to be quite honest, it sucks and its expensive as hell.  On meetup, if you would like organize something it will cost you $180 / yr.... up from $140 /yr.  I mean, $15/mth is not much if you organize things every weekend, but if you are not that much into organizing events that often then it becomes quite expensive.

So yes, I miss the fact that Glocals has remained a free service for the most part, and I only wish we could start the same in US.  Other than that, hope to go back to Switzerland soon!

Jean-Jacques BApr 1, 2015 @ 07:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1816 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: How about extending Glocals to the USA??
Post 1

We miss you too, JJ!!!

We miss you too, JJ!!!

Myriam A, Apr 1, 2015 @ 13:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

But there would be too many barriers in the US, such as legal liability in organising an activity, discrimination factors (you couldn't have a GLBLT group), the NSA would be spying on all the members, not to mention there are too many physcopathic perverts . . .  that's why the Atlantic Ocean exists !

But there would be too many barriers in the US, such as legal liability in organising an activity, discrimination factors (you couldn't have a GLBLT group), the NSA would be spying on all the members, not to mention there are too many physcopathic perverts . . .  that's why the Atlantic Ocean exists !

Poster, Apr 1, 2015 @ 14:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I'm on my way... we can run USglobals there Laughing Sounds like a plan?! Tongue Out

I'm on my way... we can run USglobals there Laughing Sounds like a plan?! Tongue Out

Cat D, Apr 1, 2015 @ 19:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hey JJ, 

We miss you over here! glocals isn't coming to the USA in the near future, but when you come back to CH for a visit, your friends here will always be happy to see you!

Hey JJ, 

We miss you over here! glocals isn't coming to the USA in the near future, but when you come back to CH for a visit, your friends here will always be happy to see you!

Nir Ofek, Apr 1, 2015 @ 21:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

what about craigslist / events? ;-)

what about craigslist / events? ;-)

Steve A, Apr 2, 2015 @ 11:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Apr 1, 15 19:14

Hey Cat, awesome!! I would definitely need a co-organizer here!! ;)

Hey Cat, awesome!! I would definitely need a co-organizer here!! ;)

Jean-Jacques B, Apr 5, 2015 @ 07:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Craigslist is great for when you need to buy second hand furniture, car, or even get services.... but doesn't work well for organizing events.  But it would be a great idea... will email Craig I guess :)

Craigslist is great for when you need to buy second hand furniture, car, or even get services.... but doesn't work well for organizing events.  But it would be a great idea... will email Craig I guess :)

Jean-Jacques B, Apr 5, 2015 @ 07:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1816 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form