Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > POLL: Should you have the choice to disable broadcasting your activity information?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
POLL: Should you have the choice to disable broadcasting your activity information?

Please vote by replying to this thread...

Do you think there should be a Setting on the Glocals website that allows users to STOP broadcasting automatically to any of their friends who log in, what their next Activity will be in the "Updates From Your Friends" module on the home page?

This is a "push" vs. "pull" technology moral dillema.

??

The text you are quoting:

Please vote by replying to this thread...

Do you think there should be a Setting on the Glocals website that allows users to STOP broadcasting automatically to any of their friends who log in, what their next Activity will be in the "Updates From Your Friends" module on the home page?

This is a "push" vs. "pull" technology moral dillema.

??

facemelterNov 22, 2010 @ 15:38
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

49 Replies | 2154 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: POLL: Should you have the choice to disable broadcasting your activity information?
Post 1

hmmm. guess if one`s friends are truly friends, one shouldnt care about the spread of information... i dont at least...

hmmm. guess if one`s friends are truly friends, one shouldnt care about the spread of information... i dont at least...

wanessa, Nov 22, 2010 @ 16:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: POLL: Should you have the choice to disable broadcasting your activity information?
Post 2

NO.im quite happy to let my freinds and others see what events im attending. Thats the point of having freinds on here. So they can join in if they wish :)

NO.im quite happy to let my freinds and others see what events im attending. Thats the point of having freinds on here. So they can join in if they wish :)

Karl N, Nov 22, 2010 @ 17:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

someones been a naughty boy i suspect.......

someones been a naughty boy i suspect.......

Charlie, Nov 22, 2010 @ 17:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Nah, it's just about privacy, when you feel like it. Luckily, this isn't Facebook.. and I'd like it to remain that way ;)

Nah, it's just about privacy, when you feel like it. Luckily, this isn't Facebook.. and I'd like it to remain that way ;)

FerneyL, Nov 22, 2010 @ 17:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

So YES to a poll.

I'm curious, as to why this option is opposed by some?

So YES to a poll.

I'm curious, as to why this option is opposed by some?

FerneyL, Nov 22, 2010 @ 17:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Im opposed because of two reasons:

1) Cos I have nothing to "hide " from my friends on here... if they want to know where I am, where i am going or what thread im replying to...doesnt bother me one bit. If there is someone who shouldnt be knowing what I'm up to then either I shouldnt be doing it, or they shouldn't be a "friend".. Simple.

2) Its a waste of Odeds time to start fiddling with adding privacy buttons when there are more pressing  issues to solve.

Im opposed because of two reasons:

1) Cos I have nothing to "hide " from my friends on here... if they want to know where I am, where i am going or what thread im replying to...doesnt bother me one bit. If there is someone who shouldnt be knowing what I'm up to then either I shouldnt be doing it, or they shouldn't be a "friend".. Simple.

2) Its a waste of Odeds time to start fiddling with adding privacy buttons when there are more pressing  issues to solve.

Charlie, Nov 22, 2010 @ 17:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

It seems to me that most people who said NO are answering a different question .. that is: "Do you mind if your friends find out what you are doing?"

And I think even Facemelter would say No to that question. But the question is about an "option to stop broadcasting automatically" .. in other words having the option to broadcast or not, any one event (or may be all events).

I don't see any harm in that 'option'. So my answer is YES such a setting would be useful.

Facemelter - there is a long running thread about "things we should fix on glocals ...". You may want to add your suggestion there. A great number of people are subscribed to that & you will get more input there.

It seems to me that most people who said NO are answering a different question .. that is: "Do you mind if your friends find out what you are doing?"

And I think even Facemelter would say No to that question. But the question is about an "option to stop broadcasting automatically" .. in other words having the option to broadcast or not, any one event (or may be all events).

I don't see any harm in that 'option'. So my answer is YES such a setting would be useful.

Facemelter - there is a long running thread about "things we should fix on glocals ...". You may want to add your suggestion there. A great number of people are subscribed to that & you will get more input there.

Bizhan, Nov 22, 2010 @ 17:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

YES there should be an option in that way it provides flexibility and in truth the information is not terribly useful in my view.  If people wish to get their friends together then they can be sent a group mail, or an event can be posted.  In the case of Charlie he likes a lot of attention so naturally he doesn't mind, but beyond that there are practical issues i.e. do you really need to be imposing on your friends who all have different tastes etc, what you might have to say in a forum or in a group and/or an activity.  Additionally, I note this poll is for an "optional" function, not one that that will do away with the current set-up. 

YES there should be an option in that way it provides flexibility and in truth the information is not terribly useful in my view.  If people wish to get their friends together then they can be sent a group mail, or an event can be posted.  In the case of Charlie he likes a lot of attention so naturally he doesn't mind, but beyond that there are practical issues i.e. do you really need to be imposing on your friends who all have different tastes etc, what you might have to say in a forum or in a group and/or an activity.  Additionally, I note this poll is for an "optional" function, not one that that will do away with the current set-up. 

Maurice H, Nov 22, 2010 @ 17:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Maurice

i do like the attention you're right there, although Im not certain what bringing that up in a forum benefits you or I... If you take issue with me perhaps we should sort it out in private....

Although I would advocate an "ignore" button for people who dont want to read my drivel or I theirs Wink, but those who know me seem to be able to (or have learnt to) filter past "charlies comments" onto the more pressing stuff.

That said, my view remains that Odeds time is better spent on more pressing issues in recifying bugs in the site, which is a herald and source of news, info, amusement, parties and events for well over 40'000 residents here, "most" of whom seem to get on with each other.

Thanks to Reka and David for the support. (beer and tequila shots on me next time Tongue out )

my best

Charlie

Maurice

i do like the attention you're right there, although Im not certain what bringing that up in a forum benefits you or I... If you take issue with me perhaps we should sort it out in private....

Although I would advocate an "ignore" button for people who dont want to read my drivel or I theirs Wink, but those who know me seem to be able to (or have learnt to) filter past "charlies comments" onto the more pressing stuff.

That said, my view remains that Odeds time is better spent on more pressing issues in recifying bugs in the site, which is a herald and source of news, info, amusement, parties and events for well over 40'000 residents here, "most" of whom seem to get on with each other.

Thanks to Reka and David for the support. (beer and tequila shots on me next time Tongue out )

my best

Charlie

Charlie, Nov 22, 2010 @ 19:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

reka> "I completely agree to Charlie`s remark - it should not be a problem if you have not been naugthy and have nothing to hide. ; ) "

This thinking has opportunities.. ;)

reka> "I completely agree to Charlie`s remark - it should not be a problem if you have not been naugthy and have nothing to hide. ; ) "

This thinking has opportunities.. ;)

FerneyL, Nov 22, 2010 @ 19:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I say no.  If you're not happy with someone knowing what you're up to, simply remove him/her from your friends list.

I say no.  If you're not happy with someone knowing what you're up to, simply remove him/her from your friends list.

TheOmegaMan, Nov 22, 2010 @ 19:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Maybe what we actually need is a groan button... next to the thank poster button...  x amount of groans and your out ... Tongue out

Maybe what we actually need is a groan button... next to the thank poster button...  x amount of groans and your out ... Tongue out

Karl N, Nov 22, 2010 @ 21:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

I'm too late to claim Frown

I'm too late to claim Frown

ThomasNL, Nov 22, 2010 @ 22:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Bizhan, Nov 22, 2010 @ 23:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Nov 22, 10 17:53

Hi Maurice H

I do not believe that Charlie likes a lot more attention than anyone elseSmile !Some facts have proven to me in attending and posting regular events here, that it is thank to this open-transparent system that the communication with the friend's list is going so smoothly !

Maybe i still didn't get a clue...Tongue out, but I thought that the purpose of the Glocals system was to enhance/promote a friendly networking atmosphere (and this open-transparent system is definitely a communication asset). "sharing" information with friends does not necessarily mean "imposing" ones view. In the opposite, comments of some friends with different views were often the start of big laughing sessions Laughing 

Any activity information (now that this cannot be reached by non-Glocals members) should be always broadcasted like it is... Cheers...

Hi Maurice H

I do not believe that Charlie likes a lot more attention than anyone elseSmile !Some facts have proven to me in attending and posting regular events here, that it is thank to this open-transparent system that the communication with the friend's list is going so smoothly !

Maybe i still didn't get a clue...Tongue out, but I thought that the purpose of the Glocals system was to enhance/promote a friendly networking atmosphere (and this open-transparent system is definitely a communication asset). "sharing" information with friends does not necessarily mean "imposing" ones view. In the opposite, comments of some friends with different views were often the start of big laughing sessions Laughing 

Any activity information (now that this cannot be reached by non-Glocals members) should be always broadcasted like it is... Cheers...

chantal, Nov 22, 2010 @ 21:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Great feedback from all. Interesting to see how different people think.

I'll like to re-emphasize the issue again however, as I think a lot of people are missing the point and giving feedback on a totally different, albeit related, subject.

First of all, I think it's important that everyone understands that this thread has nothing to do with whether it's right or wrong to see what your friends are doing, or vice-versa: have them see what activities you are doing. So please stop posting your opinions about this. If you would like to start a new thread about this, please go ahead, but don't address that issue here, because it has nothing to do with the question I've posted....

Lovely, now that that's cleared up, I'll restate the polling question:
The issue I was aiming to address was: Should there be an OPTION in your settings to disable broadcasting your agenda to your friends base.
You each might have 1,000,000 reasons why it's a great idea to publish your activity plans through "push" technology many of which most people would probably agree with (including myself), but I find the reasons irrelevant...
The fact of the matter is that private details about your life are being published without consent.

Most people's immediate reaction is "fine", "I dont care", "I have nothing to hide", "if I dont want them to know my plans I'll de-friend them", etc.
And these are responses based on your aggregated personal experiences in life and that's fine but I would like to introduce a case where your thoughts may be challenged...

Imagine a situation where you've been happily married for 10 years. Something goes wrong in your marriage and for whatever reason, you decide to divorce. You are friends on Glocals. You are friends in real life. You want to stay friends in real life. You want to stay friends on Glocals. But... and this is where the issue comes in... there is a period after your divorce of extreme emotional sensitivity. Your wife/husband may not like logging into Glocals and seeing that his/her ex is attending a speed dating event next week. If they realllllly wanted to know, they could drill down into that persons profile and see what events they are attending, but you know what, would they really? 
Perhaps not while there is raw emotional pain still lingering. Why should I be forced to de-friend someone just so I don't see their agenda shoved in my face everytime I log in? If I want to punish myself and find out what that persons is up to, it should be MY CHOICE TO SEEK OUT THAT INFORMATION willingly using "pull" technology (i.e. view the profile of that person).

I recently broke up with my girlfriend, who I still adore, admire, love and miss very much. I have absolutely no desire to defriend her, and in fact we both want to remain friends. But right now, if I logged in to Glocals and saw that next week she's attending some Singles Event, it doesn't exactly make me feel great. Perhaps in a few months I wont feel the same way, but right now, I just dont feel like seeing that.

Now back to the issue at hand... should there be an OPTION to stop publishing your information in a "push" technology sense? The example I gave above, is one valid reason. Many different people could have other different reasons but why should they have to justifiy them? The reason is irrelevant (I only pointed out one example above to challenge peoples thinking). The fact of the matter is, that the activity information is not requested by the user and therefore users should have the option of not publishing their details.

Removing all opinions, sentiment, emotion, and focussing on the logic, let's put it like this:
1. What bad can come from having a setting like this? --> Nothing (unless you count a small cost to the site admins as a bad thing)
2. What good can come from having a setting like this? --> Well, I've given one example, perhaps there are many more. 

As I stated in the beginning of this thread, perhaps someone would like to start a poll as whether its right or wrong to display that information AT ALL on the homepage. I would certainly vote FOR it (I like seeing what my friends are up to), however this thread only serves to question whether users should have the OPTION of disabling such publishing (for WHATEVER reason -- that shouldnt have to be justified)

Great feedback from all. Interesting to see how different people think.

I'll like to re-emphasize the issue again however, as I think a lot of people are missing the point and giving feedback on a totally different, albeit related, subject.

First of all, I think it's important that everyone understands that this thread has nothing to do with whether it's right or wrong to see what your friends are doing, or vice-versa: have them see what activities you are doing. So please stop posting your opinions about this. If you would like to start a new thread about this, please go ahead, but don't address that issue here, because it has nothing to do with the question I've posted....

Lovely, now that that's cleared up, I'll restate the polling question:
The issue I was aiming to address was: Should there be an OPTION in your settings to disable broadcasting your agenda to your friends base.
You each might have 1,000,000 reasons why it's a great idea to publish your activity plans through "push" technology many of which most people would probably agree with (including myself), but I find the reasons irrelevant...
The fact of the matter is that private details about your life are being published without consent.

Most people's immediate reaction is "fine", "I dont care", "I have nothing to hide", "if I dont want them to know my plans I'll de-friend them", etc.
And these are responses based on your aggregated personal experiences in life and that's fine but I would like to introduce a case where your thoughts may be challenged...

Imagine a situation where you've been happily married for 10 years. Something goes wrong in your marriage and for whatever reason, you decide to divorce. You are friends on Glocals. You are friends in real life. You want to stay friends in real life. You want to stay friends on Glocals. But... and this is where the issue comes in... there is a period after your divorce of extreme emotional sensitivity. Your wife/husband may not like logging into Glocals and seeing that his/her ex is attending a speed dating event next week. If they realllllly wanted to know, they could drill down into that persons profile and see what events they are attending, but you know what, would they really? 
Perhaps not while there is raw emotional pain still lingering. Why should I be forced to de-friend someone just so I don't see their agenda shoved in my face everytime I log in? If I want to punish myself and find out what that persons is up to, it should be MY CHOICE TO SEEK OUT THAT INFORMATION willingly using "pull" technology (i.e. view the profile of that person).

I recently broke up with my girlfriend, who I still adore, admire, love and miss very much. I have absolutely no desire to defriend her, and in fact we both want to remain friends. But right now, if I logged in to Glocals and saw that next week she's attending some Singles Event, it doesn't exactly make me feel great. Perhaps in a few months I wont feel the same way, but right now, I just dont feel like seeing that.

Now back to the issue at hand... should there be an OPTION to stop publishing your information in a "push" technology sense? The example I gave above, is one valid reason. Many different people could have other different reasons but why should they have to justifiy them? The reason is irrelevant (I only pointed out one example above to challenge peoples thinking). The fact of the matter is, that the activity information is not requested by the user and therefore users should have the option of not publishing their details.

Removing all opinions, sentiment, emotion, and focussing on the logic, let's put it like this:
1. What bad can come from having a setting like this? --> Nothing (unless you count a small cost to the site admins as a bad thing)
2. What good can come from having a setting like this? --> Well, I've given one example, perhaps there are many more. 

As I stated in the beginning of this thread, perhaps someone would like to start a poll as whether its right or wrong to display that information AT ALL on the homepage. I would certainly vote FOR it (I like seeing what my friends are up to), however this thread only serves to question whether users should have the OPTION of disabling such publishing (for WHATEVER reason -- that shouldnt have to be justified)

facemelter, Nov 23, 2010 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Haha. Thanks Reka, but again... this is the point exactly I am try to avoid talking about. I mean, I appreciate it sincerely, but my ex-girlfriend issues are totally off topic here (I only gave an example to challenge reasoning - it should not become the focus of the thread). 

The premise is simple: Should we be allowed to turn off "publishing" private agenda information? Period. The reasons are IRRELEVANT to the discussion. I would prefer the thread to focus on what "bad" can come from people CHOOSING whether or not to broadcast there plans each and every one of their friends.

Sat Night Fever could be an option. Sounds fun. Cheers :)

Haha. Thanks Reka, but again... this is the point exactly I am try to avoid talking about. I mean, I appreciate it sincerely, but my ex-girlfriend issues are totally off topic here (I only gave an example to challenge reasoning - it should not become the focus of the thread). 

The premise is simple: Should we be allowed to turn off "publishing" private agenda information? Period. The reasons are IRRELEVANT to the discussion. I would prefer the thread to focus on what "bad" can come from people CHOOSING whether or not to broadcast there plans each and every one of their friends.

Sat Night Fever could be an option. Sounds fun. Cheers :)

facemelter, Nov 23, 2010 @ 10:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Well in answer to your thread.. Personally im not bothered either way if theres an option or not. If there was an option i am 99% sure i wouldnt use it. When i post on here i know everyone can see it. It certainly doesnt bother me. As for ex's well you get over them ... eventually...  :-)

Well in answer to your thread.. Personally im not bothered either way if theres an option or not. If there was an option i am 99% sure i wouldnt use it. When i post on here i know everyone can see it. It certainly doesnt bother me. As for ex's well you get over them ... eventually...  :-)

Karl N, Nov 23, 2010 @ 10:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

"push" versus "pull"

Pro's and cons

Currently this site has "push" technology, where almost everything you do is pushed to your "friends"... (ie people you know, or have met) ...if you get fed up reading about someones activities, the only option is to disconnect. Which admittedly can be an emotional couple of clicks of the mouse, esp if "love" is involved. However, it is designed as an "OPEN" site, with the express intention of helping people inegrate and socialise and network. Secrecy/privacy buttons would not help this site develop in such an open manner since it would encourage "cliques" and "hidden agendas"...  

Obviously in cases such as " your ex going to singles events," or if you want to attend such an vent without the current girlfriend/wife knowing its a bit hard to be sneeky, if thats what you choose to do. However these are isolated cases, and most people disconnect from ex lovers, wives, girlfriends anyway if its too hard to bear.

Pull technology will not solve the problem for love sick people or stalkers, since they will in most cases feel inquisative and "pull" in events that their ex may be attending or have attended...hence the heartache doesnt go away if an "option" is still available.

The only cure is cold turkey ! So the only way to stop the temporary heartache is to disconnect.... with the option to reconnect later if you remain friends. (Its the same on facebook and many other networking sites, and one even gives you NO option to disconnect... so you either have to "man up" and take the pain, or stay away from that site till its easier to deal with).

For the sneeky cheaters, theres no point even bothering to discuss making their lives easier..

As to the legalities of push technology.... thats why its states clearly "Only connect to people you know and trust"... so there are no legal implications of pushing activities/info to that group, since by accepting a friend invitation you defacto allow them access to your data/network etc, and everyone knows this.

"push" versus "pull"

Pro's and cons

Currently this site has "push" technology, where almost everything you do is pushed to your "friends"... (ie people you know, or have met) ...if you get fed up reading about someones activities, the only option is to disconnect. Which admittedly can be an emotional couple of clicks of the mouse, esp if "love" is involved. However, it is designed as an "OPEN" site, with the express intention of helping people inegrate and socialise and network. Secrecy/privacy buttons would not help this site develop in such an open manner since it would encourage "cliques" and "hidden agendas"...  

Obviously in cases such as " your ex going to singles events," or if you want to attend such an vent without the current girlfriend/wife knowing its a bit hard to be sneeky, if thats what you choose to do. However these are isolated cases, and most people disconnect from ex lovers, wives, girlfriends anyway if its too hard to bear.

Pull technology will not solve the problem for love sick people or stalkers, since they will in most cases feel inquisative and "pull" in events that their ex may be attending or have attended...hence the heartache doesnt go away if an "option" is still available.

The only cure is cold turkey ! So the only way to stop the temporary heartache is to disconnect.... with the option to reconnect later if you remain friends. (Its the same on facebook and many other networking sites, and one even gives you NO option to disconnect... so you either have to "man up" and take the pain, or stay away from that site till its easier to deal with).

For the sneeky cheaters, theres no point even bothering to discuss making their lives easier..

As to the legalities of push technology.... thats why its states clearly "Only connect to people you know and trust"... so there are no legal implications of pushing activities/info to that group, since by accepting a friend invitation you defacto allow them access to your data/network etc, and everyone knows this.

Charlie, Nov 23, 2010 @ 10:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Thanks Charlie. Wise words.

Thanks Charlie. Wise words.

facemelter, Nov 23, 2010 @ 11:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

I would like the option.  I am pretty private.. I think it would be nice to go to something and not have it broadcasted to everyone I am going.  There are times I think this has even discouraged me from attending. I dont even always tell my friend I live with if I am going to an event, and she is on Glocals.  You can love your friends, and still want a night away from them.  And the option would save you the "I love you, but I'd rather go alone" speech.

It's always nice to have an option, regardless of wether you choose you use it. An option only benefits the people who want it, but it doesn't take anything away from those who don't.

I would like the option.  I am pretty private.. I think it would be nice to go to something and not have it broadcasted to everyone I am going.  There are times I think this has even discouraged me from attending. I dont even always tell my friend I live with if I am going to an event, and she is on Glocals.  You can love your friends, and still want a night away from them.  And the option would save you the "I love you, but I'd rather go alone" speech.

It's always nice to have an option, regardless of wether you choose you use it. An option only benefits the people who want it, but it doesn't take anything away from those who don't.

Lexillent, Nov 23, 2010 @ 11:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Yes, people should have the option.  I have nothing to hide, but I don't want want everyone to know what I'm doing all the time, just because I value my privacy and sometimes I just want to be annonymous.  I can't imagine there is any harm in the option. 

Yes, people should have the option.  I have nothing to hide, but I don't want want everyone to know what I'm doing all the time, just because I value my privacy and sometimes I just want to be annonymous.  I can't imagine there is any harm in the option. 

Lilie Jones, Nov 25, 2010 @ 15:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

In addition to the above, I have not RSVP'd to some events (and just showed up) for this reason alone.

In addition to the above, I have not RSVP'd to some events (and just showed up) for this reason alone.

Lilie Jones, Nov 25, 2010 @ 15:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Nov 25, 10 15:27

Lilie, without a picture there is little chance of you being stalked...plus I note from your profile you have 2 friends registered.... so not quite sure to whom you are broadcasting beyond those two...since the notices only go to friends and not to all members.

Lilie, without a picture there is little chance of you being stalked...plus I note from your profile you have 2 friends registered.... so not quite sure to whom you are broadcasting beyond those two...since the notices only go to friends and not to all members.

Charlie, Nov 25, 2010 @ 16:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

It's the principle of having the choice of not broadcasting. You don't have to use this option, if you don't want to. We don't even have it yet Nor can Glocals apparently be allowed to even vote on it? Fine, if some want to live in a glass house, others don't - don't force everyone to. It's a discussion about a potential poll at this stage..

It's the principle of having the choice of not broadcasting. You don't have to use this option, if you don't want to. We don't even have it yet Nor can Glocals apparently be allowed to even vote on it? Fine, if some want to live in a glass house, others don't - don't force everyone to. It's a discussion about a potential poll at this stage..

FerneyL, Nov 25, 2010 @ 17:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

I'm for the adding the option.  I think it is a good feature.  I often check to see if a friend is attending something I'm interested in (its easier than looking through the RSVP list).  But I can think of several reasons a person wouldn't want to broadcast all their activities and they are not all "bad".

And if there are concerns that there are other more pressing things to be done, I think we can let Oded have his own priority list.  Maybe he can publish it if necessary.

I'm for the adding the option.  I think it is a good feature.  I often check to see if a friend is attending something I'm interested in (its easier than looking through the RSVP list).  But I can think of several reasons a person wouldn't want to broadcast all their activities and they are not all "bad".

And if there are concerns that there are other more pressing things to be done, I think we can let Oded have his own priority list.  Maybe he can publish it if necessary.

Maplady, Nov 25, 2010 @ 17:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

I don't really see what level of privacy you get from not having your activities automatically showing to your friends.  Your friends are your friends for goodness sake!  And as Maplady points out, I can see who has signed up for any event - so I can see not only what my friends are doing but what everyone is doing. Yes, OK, I cannot search this by individual member, but the information is there for everyone to see.  So the next logical step is to give an option to anonymise attendace at events (not very helpful for the event organisers)? Oded - you have a job for life!

My answer to the original question / poll:  no.

I don't really see what level of privacy you get from not having your activities automatically showing to your friends.  Your friends are your friends for goodness sake!  And as Maplady points out, I can see who has signed up for any event - so I can see not only what my friends are doing but what everyone is doing. Yes, OK, I cannot search this by individual member, but the information is there for everyone to see.  So the next logical step is to give an option to anonymise attendace at events (not very helpful for the event organisers)? Oded - you have a job for life!

S99_Geneva, Nov 25, 2010 @ 18:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

And I can see who's responded to events - so I can see who can't make it this time because they are away on a weekend break in Vienna, who is driving whom cos they all live in Gland, who will be late because their partner needs to look after the kids etc etc .  So if we're talking about privacy, there is a whole hornets nest of stuff...  And isn't that departing from the whole benefits of what Glocals is set up for in the first place.  Sorry - rant over now.

And I can see who's responded to events - so I can see who can't make it this time because they are away on a weekend break in Vienna, who is driving whom cos they all live in Gland, who will be late because their partner needs to look after the kids etc etc .  So if we're talking about privacy, there is a whole hornets nest of stuff...  And isn't that departing from the whole benefits of what Glocals is set up for in the first place.  Sorry - rant over now.

S99_Geneva, Nov 25, 2010 @ 18:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Nov 25, 10 16:33

Wink   ....  there might be a reason for the new incognito profile.

Lilie Jones, Nov 26, 2010 @ 08:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Nov 26, 10 08:40

Maybe Nir/Oded or some other IT expert can comment on the potential  work /cost involved in giving people an "optional" anonymous button when replying for events.

Anonymity being for general viewing, and not (obviously) for the organiser who would need to see who is attending their events.

Churchill quoted..."you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time".

We need to bear in mind that we habitate a FREE website community, and Nir / Oded have other jobs to do... so site enhancement requests that involve alot of work and costs are potentially a big ask.

Maybe Nir/Oded or some other IT expert can comment on the potential  work /cost involved in giving people an "optional" anonymous button when replying for events.

Anonymity being for general viewing, and not (obviously) for the organiser who would need to see who is attending their events.

Churchill quoted..."you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time".

We need to bear in mind that we habitate a FREE website community, and Nir / Oded have other jobs to do... so site enhancement requests that involve alot of work and costs are potentially a big ask.

Charlie, Nov 26, 2010 @ 09:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

I have no friends

The main reason is that I assume that, like me, most people are receiving hundreds of emails per day.  I find the glocals system of being advised by email if there is an activity coming up in the domaine I am interested in is sufficient. 

I also do not have the time to read what other people are doing all the time.  I prefer that they tell me face to face rather than an automated system.

In this repsect i am probably not the ssort of person that glocals wants to have around as once somebody takes part in a couple of my activites, I then put them on a specific email list and use glocals just so that others who might be interested can have the opportunity of taking part.

It seems to work well.  Thanks to an influx of, among others, glocals members the membership of the Geneva section of the Swiss Alpine Club has passed the 2000 mark for the first time since 1995.

But I do also have the advantage of two websites so it is possible for people to check out whart I am doing.   My beer drinking is confined to ringing up a select group - no website for that I am afraid.

This is not an attempt at anonymity.  Far from it.  I use my full name, and post my private email address on activities as they are not organised for glocals members but glocals members are welcome to attend

I have no friends

The main reason is that I assume that, like me, most people are receiving hundreds of emails per day.  I find the glocals system of being advised by email if there is an activity coming up in the domaine I am interested in is sufficient. 

I also do not have the time to read what other people are doing all the time.  I prefer that they tell me face to face rather than an automated system.

In this repsect i am probably not the ssort of person that glocals wants to have around as once somebody takes part in a couple of my activites, I then put them on a specific email list and use glocals just so that others who might be interested can have the opportunity of taking part.

It seems to work well.  Thanks to an influx of, among others, glocals members the membership of the Geneva section of the Swiss Alpine Club has passed the 2000 mark for the first time since 1995.

But I do also have the advantage of two websites so it is possible for people to check out whart I am doing.   My beer drinking is confined to ringing up a select group - no website for that I am afraid.

This is not an attempt at anonymity.  Far from it.  I use my full name, and post my private email address on activities as they are not organised for glocals members but glocals members are welcome to attend

Paul E, Nov 26, 2010 @ 09:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

I have just seen that I have not answered the poll.  I ABSTAIN

Paul E, Nov 26, 2010 @ 10:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Maurice

my best

Charlie

Nov 22, 10 19:23

I completely agree with Rika and David's comments and support for you and of course,  all the comments you've made about wasting Oded's time.....but as I don't know you from a bar of soap, I guess I'm just after the free tequilas Cool

I completely agree with Rika and David's comments and support for you and of course,  all the comments you've made about wasting Oded's time.....but as I don't know you from a bar of soap, I guess I'm just after the free tequilas Cool

Carolyn C, Nov 26, 2010 @ 11:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Nov 26, 10 11:33

i'll be on either table 9 or 5...depending on the view... ;-)

i'll be on either table 9 or 5...depending on the view... ;-)

Charlie, Nov 26, 2010 @ 12:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

Nov 25, 10 18:17

Quote : "...next logical step is to give an option to anonymise attendance at events ..."

Laughing Ha ha ! F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C....what a brilliant idea Tongue out! Why don't you propose that anyone attending an activity - has the freedom - to give a second "hidden" nickname... You are welcome "S99_Geneva" ! Please come to visit us here in Lausanne and our best 47th "Lausanne Afterwork Drink by Jasper" : http://www.glocals.com/things-to-do/lausanne/31699.htm  I guess that our Friendly Jasper & Carolyn Wink are just gonna love this idea and put theory into practice on December 3rd !

...my opinion to the POLL ? NO

Quote : "...next logical step is to give an option to anonymise attendance at events ..."

Laughing Ha ha ! F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C....what a brilliant idea Tongue out! Why don't you propose that anyone attending an activity - has the freedom - to give a second "hidden" nickname... You are welcome "S99_Geneva" ! Please come to visit us here in Lausanne and our best 47th "Lausanne Afterwork Drink by Jasper" : http://www.glocals.com/things-to-do/lausanne/31699.htm  I guess that our Friendly Jasper & Carolyn Wink are just gonna love this idea and put theory into practice on December 3rd !

...my opinion to the POLL ? NO

chantal, Nov 26, 2010 @ 12:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

For those who want this option it should work the other way around too:

If you don't want to have your actions on this site broadcasted, everything your "friends" broadcast should not be visible to you.

Also should the person who uses this option, not be able to change this setting more then twice a month. Reason for this: If you won't grand access to your info, then you don't get access to your friends info. Having the option to constantly change the privacy setting, will offer the person that wants to hide his actions, the chance to quickly check your actions and then put it back on private.

Im sure a lot of people will have second thoughts if they can't access YOUR info anymore by hiding theirs.

For those who want this option it should work the other way around too:

If you don't want to have your actions on this site broadcasted, everything your "friends" broadcast should not be visible to you.

Also should the person who uses this option, not be able to change this setting more then twice a month. Reason for this: If you won't grand access to your info, then you don't get access to your friends info. Having the option to constantly change the privacy setting, will offer the person that wants to hide his actions, the chance to quickly check your actions and then put it back on private.

Im sure a lot of people will have second thoughts if they can't access YOUR info anymore by hiding theirs.

ThomasNL, Nov 26, 2010 @ 13:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

My answer to the thread is: NO

I'd go for the new hype of de-friending.

My answer to the thread is: NO

I'd go for the new hype of de-friending.

ThomasNL, Nov 26, 2010 @ 13:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

Wouldn't be simpler to just offer the option to select not to see the feeds of people that you are not interested in, like in Facebook?

If somebody is really "obsessed" with a person in glocals, they can find out the events they attend in some other way even if they are not their friends. Check the person's profile or even scan through all the activities to see which ones this person attends.

Providing anonymity to members who attend an event could of course prevent the last but think of the opposite side - imagine if this becomes very widely spread, How tempting would a singles event be if there were 40 people attending and you could only see 5 of them. Would one feel comfortable that the mix was inviting for them?

About the feed itself, many people (my self included) are interested in the feed as a source of information to scan events. Maybe something didn't seem fully my cup of tea at first but if 2 of my friends are going I could be tempted. There is a risk of losing this convenience.

Providing though the option to filter the feed one receives is more legitimate. It would provide a solution to situations like the ones facemelter described. Dare I say that the solution he proposed wouldn't necessarily work in a situation like an ex gf/bf because the gf/bf would have to agree on stopping sending a feed which however would also "punish" the rest of his/her contact. Unless the system became very personalised (do not send my feed to x), meaning also very complex to use and implement.

My 2 cents...

Wouldn't be simpler to just offer the option to select not to see the feeds of people that you are not interested in, like in Facebook?

If somebody is really "obsessed" with a person in glocals, they can find out the events they attend in some other way even if they are not their friends. Check the person's profile or even scan through all the activities to see which ones this person attends.

Providing anonymity to members who attend an event could of course prevent the last but think of the opposite side - imagine if this becomes very widely spread, How tempting would a singles event be if there were 40 people attending and you could only see 5 of them. Would one feel comfortable that the mix was inviting for them?

About the feed itself, many people (my self included) are interested in the feed as a source of information to scan events. Maybe something didn't seem fully my cup of tea at first but if 2 of my friends are going I could be tempted. There is a risk of losing this convenience.

Providing though the option to filter the feed one receives is more legitimate. It would provide a solution to situations like the ones facemelter described. Dare I say that the solution he proposed wouldn't necessarily work in a situation like an ex gf/bf because the gf/bf would have to agree on stopping sending a feed which however would also "punish" the rest of his/her contact. Unless the system became very personalised (do not send my feed to x), meaning also very complex to use and implement.

My 2 cents...

gippas, Nov 26, 2010 @ 12:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

Nov 26, 10 10:02

fence percher!

fence percher!

Charlie, Nov 26, 2010 @ 13:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

I think I've cracked this. There needs to be different categories of friends, each with different treatment of anonymity and feeds:

1. Those who are real friends and who I want to share my activities with

2. Not so real friends, but I've become "friends" with them so that it looks like I'm a popular guy - but they can't see my activities

3. People I'm friends with because I liked their picture on here

4. People who I would have been friends with if this thread hadn't scared me off from being friends with anyone.

But what's really concerning me is the apparent confusion between Charlie and a bar of soap....

And so as not to maintain my anonymity, I should point out that S99_Geneva is the first dumb name that I thought of when registering on this site - and I can't change it....

Stuart

I think I've cracked this. There needs to be different categories of friends, each with different treatment of anonymity and feeds:

2. Not so real friends, but I've become "friends" with them so that it looks like I'm a popular guy - but they can't see my activities

4. People who I would have been friends with if this thread hadn't scared me off from being friends with anyone.

But what's really concerning me is the apparent confusion between Charlie and a bar of soap....

And so as not to maintain my anonymity, I should point out that S99_Geneva is the first dumb name that I thought of when registering on this site - and I can't change it....

Stuart

S99_Geneva, Nov 26, 2010 @ 15:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

Stuart

Nov 26, 10 15:17

To answer your question...

The similarity between me and a bar of soap, (if youre female) is ...wait for it.....

You can enjoy both them in the shower :-)

(God im killing myself here)

The similarity between me and a bar of soap, (if youre female) is ...wait for it.....

Charlie, Nov 26, 2010 @ 15:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

Nov 26, 10 15:32

Or you can combine the two:

Or you can combine the two:

ThomasNL, Nov 26, 2010 @ 16:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

This the point at which we get the thread going the way we wanted it to from the start.

This the point at which we get the thread going the way we wanted it to from the start.

ThomasNL, Nov 26, 2010 @ 16:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

Nov 26, 10 16:15

well c'mon it is friday after all.....

next joke pls?

well c'mon it is friday after all.....

next joke pls?

Charlie, Nov 26, 2010 @ 16:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

Charlie, Nov 26, 2010 @ 16:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

I agree with facemelter and think there should be an optional button. Cheers

I agree with facemelter and think there should be an optional button. Cheers

agentbetty, Nov 26, 2010 @ 16:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 47
Bar of soap 'made of Silvio Berlusconi's fat' to go on display

Uuurrrggghhh - fancy enjoying that in the shower Charlie?

S99_Geneva, Nov 26, 2010 @ 17:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 48

Nov 26, 10 17:02

thanks that has really set me up for my dinner party tonight.... 

(burping lunch suddenly now)

thanks that has really set me up for my dinner party tonight.... 

(burping lunch suddenly now)

Charlie, Nov 26, 2010 @ 17:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 49

fence percher!

Nov 26, 10 13:54

I am allowed to be. Am a geminum or gemini.

I am allowed to be. Am a geminum or gemini.

Paul E, Nov 26, 2010 @ 19:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
49 Replies | 2154 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form