Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > Pictures' ownership issues: when you post a picture, this is attached to the activity...

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Pictures' ownership issues: when you post a picture, this is attached to the activity...

Hi,

today, we had an issue in a glocals group, and an activity organiser decided to abandon glocals, so that all the activities organised by him were lost, and wiith them, all the pictures posted on the activity. These pictures were posted by several glocals members, who actually lost their own pictures and picture comments. In this case, it was quite delicated, since it was a photography group, and thus the pictures were really the central point of the activity. This pointed us to what I think it is an interesting discussion about some glocals issues (the discussion started here -- regardless the issue about why the organiser must abandon glocals -- http://www.glocals.com/forums/general/Personal-abuse-from-group-organizer----worlds-biggest-overreaction--179552.htm) :

1) What happens with the activities if an organiser decided to abandon glocals?? Currently they are removed as the organiser profile is removed. Discussion: is the organiser the absolute owner of his activities, or have also the participants something to say about?

2) Which are actually the legal terms in glocals about posting a picture? Does the user preserve the ownership rights of her/his own pictures? Can anybody (or glocals) use/publish/commercialize them? Where can the user read these legal terms?

I am looking forward to read your feedback!! 

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

today, we had an issue in a glocals group, and an activity organiser decided to abandon glocals, so that all the activities organised by him were lost, and wiith them, all the pictures posted on the activity. These pictures were posted by several glocals members, who actually lost their own pictures and picture comments. In this case, it was quite delicated, since it was a photography group, and thus the pictures were really the central point of the activity. This pointed us to what I think it is an interesting discussion about some glocals issues (the discussion started here -- regardless the issue about why the organiser must abandon glocals -- http://www.glocals.com/forums/general/Personal-abuse-from-group-organizer----worlds-biggest-overreaction--179552.htm) :

1) What happens with the activities if an organiser decided to abandon glocals?? Currently they are removed as the organiser profile is removed. Discussion: is the organiser the absolute owner of his activities, or have also the participants something to say about?

2) Which are actually the legal terms in glocals about posting a picture? Does the user preserve the ownership rights of her/his own pictures? Can anybody (or glocals) use/publish/commercialize them? Where can the user read these legal terms?

I am looking forward to read your feedback!! 

Pedro J NavarroMar 4, 2013 @ 21:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1819 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Pictures' ownership issues: when you post a picture, this is attached to the activity...
Post 1

Thanks for raising this issue. It's very interesting, actually. Proprietary rights in Content are clearly spelled out in the terms of use.

"By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Glocals.com Services, you hereby grant to Glocals.com a license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Content solely on and through the Glocals.com Services. Glocals.com is non-exclusive (meaning you are free to license your Content to anyone else in addition to Glocals.com), fully-paid and royalty-free (meaning that Glocals.com is not required to pay you for the use on the Glocals.com Services of the Content that you post), sub licensable (so that Glocals.com is able to use its affiliates and subcontractors such as Internet content delivery networks to provide the Glocals.com Services), and worldwide (because the Internet and the Glocals.com Services are global in reach)."

Thanks for raising this issue. It's very interesting, actually. Proprietary rights in Content are clearly spelled out in the terms of use.

"By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Glocals.com Services, you hereby grant to Glocals.com a license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Content solely on and through the Glocals.com Services. Glocals.com is non-exclusive (meaning you are free to license your Content to anyone else in addition to Glocals.com), fully-paid and royalty-free (meaning that Glocals.com is not required to pay you for the use on the Glocals.com Services of the Content that you post), sub licensable (so that Glocals.com is able to use its affiliates and subcontractors such as Internet content delivery networks to provide the Glocals.com Services), and worldwide (because the Internet and the Glocals.com Services are global in reach)."

Translator, Mar 4, 2013 @ 22:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Pictures' ownership issues: when you post a picture, this is attached to the activity...
Post 2

1.  With regards to pictures posted...in my opinion...whoever posts a picture is in theory owner of that picture and it is only them or site admin (those that run the site) who should be able to remove it...obviously if you uploaded the pic you can remove it for whatever reason you choose...and equally site admin can also remove it if they believe it is not in the interest of the website which they run...it should not be associated to the user who posted the activity from which subsequently others comment on and posted content...

If the user who posted the activity has de-registered or been removed by site admin then only his or her content in terms of comments, pictures, etc should be removed and the activity should remain...I'm non-technical so not sure how easy this would be to do...

2.  Answered above...

1.  With regards to pictures posted...in my opinion...whoever posts a picture is in theory owner of that picture and it is only them or site admin (those that run the site) who should be able to remove it...obviously if you uploaded the pic you can remove it for whatever reason you choose...and equally site admin can also remove it if they believe it is not in the interest of the website which they run...it should not be associated to the user who posted the activity from which subsequently others comment on and posted content...

If the user who posted the activity has de-registered or been removed by site admin then only his or her content in terms of comments, pictures, etc should be removed and the activity should remain...I'm non-technical so not sure how easy this would be to do...

2.  Answered above...

Amit P, Mar 4, 2013 @ 23:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

My suggestions:

1. Dont see point deleting activity while we delete users. As users are deleted due to whatever reason , doesnt make sense the past activity needs to be deleted or so unless the activity itself is reported.

2. And thus images should always be tagged to the acitivity. Not organizer as that makes no sense.

3. Hence when you delete user, his name, pics , comments could disappear. Or for system issue still coould appear as anonymus.

4. The activity should remain (as past ) and hosted by 'Anonymus' contaning pics from all other attendess and their comments.

5. And most importantly what I feel is missing. In user profile there should be a link or information if he / she is posting anything. Its a free to use for users, and many fellow photographers voluntarily participate in capturing moments and posting them which indeed is invaluable to many people. As regards the information must be displayed in his/her profile how many pics he contributed to the community with either a collected link to them or individual activity link.

I dont see much problem in doing above 4 points as it only means 2 steps ...changing photo tag to acitivity and not deleting the activity while u delete the user.

The last one may take some time but will be most well apprciated by many am sure.

Am sure it helps many user and joiners who atteneded the acitivity and has nothing to do with any particular user or organizer when their profile gets deleted.

Regards,

Indro

My suggestions:

1. Dont see point deleting activity while we delete users. As users are deleted due to whatever reason , doesnt make sense the past activity needs to be deleted or so unless the activity itself is reported.

2. And thus images should always be tagged to the acitivity. Not organizer as that makes no sense.

3. Hence when you delete user, his name, pics , comments could disappear. Or for system issue still coould appear as anonymus.

4. The activity should remain (as past ) and hosted by 'Anonymus' contaning pics from all other attendess and their comments.

5. And most importantly what I feel is missing. In user profile there should be a link or information if he / she is posting anything. Its a free to use for users, and many fellow photographers voluntarily participate in capturing moments and posting them which indeed is invaluable to many people. As regards the information must be displayed in his/her profile how many pics he contributed to the community with either a collected link to them or individual activity link.

I dont see much problem in doing above 4 points as it only means 2 steps ...changing photo tag to acitivity and not deleting the activity while u delete the user.

The last one may take some time but will be most well apprciated by many am sure.

Am sure it helps many user and joiners who atteneded the acitivity and has nothing to do with any particular user or organizer when their profile gets deleted.

Regards,

Indro

Indranil M, Mar 4, 2013 @ 23:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Mar 4, 13 22:44

It would be good to have a more clear link at the Photos post page. I see it is at the bottom of the page, but it would be better to have a link with something like : "Read the terms and conditions here", right after the sentence  "Please only add photos that were taken at this activity, and that are not rude / offensive, and do not violate copyright laws."

It would be good to have a more clear link at the Photos post page. I see it is at the bottom of the page, but it would be better to have a link with something like : "Read the terms and conditions here", right after the sentence  "Please only add photos that were taken at this activity, and that are not rude / offensive, and do not violate copyright laws."

Pedro J Navarro, Mar 4, 2013 @ 23:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1819 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form