Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > Problem with forum when too long - page becomes blank after a certain number of posts

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Problem with forum when too long - page becomes blank after a certain number of posts

Hi,

As soon as a forum has a great deal of posts, the page gets blank at some points. Other people seem not to have this problem as I noticed some friends kept on posting to the forum but when I want to check their posts, for me it is blank at the same point as it was before (this time it cuts the reply of one poster and after that it is blank). I can scroll down but all pages after that are blank. I use a MAC, not sure if this has to do with it.

Thanks for any suggestion (I already tried to refresh the page).

Kind regards,

Sarah

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

As soon as a forum has a great deal of posts, the page gets blank at some points. Other people seem not to have this problem as I noticed some friends kept on posting to the forum but when I want to check their posts, for me it is blank at the same point as it was before (this time it cuts the reply of one poster and after that it is blank). I can scroll down but all pages after that are blank. I use a MAC, not sure if this has to do with it.

Thanks for any suggestion (I already tried to refresh the page).

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah HJun 20, 2011 @ 20:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 2544 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Problem with forum when too long - page becomes blank after a certain number of posts
Post 1

Try viewing the site with a different browser.  Which one are you using now?  Safari? 

Try viewing the site with a different browser.  Which one are you using now?  Safari? 

TheOmegaMan, Jun 20, 2011 @ 21:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Problem with forum when too long - page becomes blank after a certain number of posts
Post 2

yes, I am using Safari, which one do you advise? Thanks

yes, I am using Safari, which one do you advise? Thanks

Sarah H, Jun 20, 2011 @ 21:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Use firefox. No doubt. Best and most stable browser.

Use firefox. No doubt. Best and most stable browser.

waqas s, Jun 20, 2011 @ 22:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Firefox is the best choice.  Robust, highly customizable, offers many add-ons, and is free and Open Source. 

Firefox is the best choice.  Robust, highly customizable, offers many add-ons, and is free and Open Source. 

TheOmegaMan, Jun 21, 2011 @ 22:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I believe its due to the embedded Flash elements on some long threads. Apple has been fiercely critical of Flash as it's known to be pretty memory-intensive.

I usually shuttle between Chrome, a couple of others on Chromium platofrm & Firefox and never had issues with them. But yes, long pages with loads of videos will take a few seconds to load.

I believe its due to the embedded Flash elements on some long threads. Apple has been fiercely critical of Flash as it's known to be pretty memory-intensive.

I usually shuttle between Chrome, a couple of others on Chromium platofrm & Firefox and never had issues with them. But yes, long pages with loads of videos will take a few seconds to load.

Arun K V, Jun 22, 2011 @ 15:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Like other posters I would recommend using Firefox BUT add a few extensions - Flashblock is very handy and you can set it to just display a marker box where the preview image of a video would be and a play button.

I think you have to combine this with another extension which stops the automatic background downloading of Youtube vids - thats the real problem as it eats into your memory

I had this problem where it would completely freeze my netbook but after these tweaks - no problem

Like other posters I would recommend using Firefox BUT add a few extensions - Flashblock is very handy and you can set it to just display a marker box where the preview image of a video would be and a play button.

I think you have to combine this with another extension which stops the automatic background downloading of Youtube vids - thats the real problem as it eats into your memory

I had this problem where it would completely freeze my netbook but after these tweaks - no problem

leo tincrowdor, Jun 27, 2011 @ 13:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Sometimes forum pages are too long. Paging should be implemented. Not to mention that each photo is the full size photo and not a thumbnail. Site admin, correct me if I'm wrong...

Sometimes forum pages are too long. Paging should be implemented. Not to mention that each photo is the full size photo and not a thumbnail. Site admin, correct me if I'm wrong...

Cheda M, Jun 27, 2011 @ 16:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 2544 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form