Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > Profile Pop Ups - Useful or Useless?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Profile Pop Ups - Useful or Useless?

Hi folks

You may have noticed that since a few days ago, when you click on someone's username, instead of bieng taken to their profile page, you see a small 'Profile Pop Up' with basic info and options to send mail, chat or view profile.

We did this cause we wanted to make it easier for people to communicate without having to leave the page.

So what do you think?

Do the profile pop ups add value or are they useless / un-comfortable?

Thanks

Oded

The text you are quoting:

Hi folks

You may have noticed that since a few days ago, when you click on someone's username, instead of bieng taken to their profile page, you see a small 'Profile Pop Up' with basic info and options to send mail, chat or view profile.

We did this cause we wanted to make it easier for people to communicate without having to leave the page.

So what do you think?

Do the profile pop ups add value or are they useless / un-comfortable?

Thanks

Oded

SiteAdmin OdedFeb 3, 2010 @ 13:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 1648 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Profile Pop Ups - Useful or Useless?
Post 1

I think that it is a supplemental step that is not needed. My vote: drop it.

But since we are on functionality ideas. By changing a line or two of code you could resolve this issue of the member search function that is restricted by the current coding to the city where the searcher is located. For example, I can only search for members in Lausanne. As most members are in Geneva, I can't find someone located there unless I change the city to Geneva or All cities. This is an extra step that is not really necessary.

Hope the suggestions help.

Cheers,

Verbier

I think that it is a supplemental step that is not needed. My vote: drop it.

But since we are on functionality ideas. By changing a line or two of code you could resolve this issue of the member search function that is restricted by the current coding to the city where the searcher is located. For example, I can only search for members in Lausanne. As most members are in Geneva, I can't find someone located there unless I change the city to Geneva or All cities. This is an extra step that is not really necessary.

Hope the suggestions help.

Cheers,

Verbier

Verbier, Feb 3, 2010 @ 13:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Oded,

Thanks for wanting to facilitate communication.

Personally, I don't find those pop-ups very useful. I prefer to be directed to the profile when clicking on the name. If people want to chat with s.o. immediately, they can simply click on the chat window in the "members online list". No need for a mini profile.

The current pop-ups are rather a detour on the way to the member's profile.Therefore I would prefer to stop having them.

Let's see what other people think about it.

Hi Oded,

Thanks for wanting to facilitate communication.

Personally, I don't find those pop-ups very useful. I prefer to be directed to the profile when clicking on the name. If people want to chat with s.o. immediately, they can simply click on the chat window in the "members online list". No need for a mini profile.

The current pop-ups are rather a detour on the way to the member's profile.Therefore I would prefer to stop having them.

Let's see what other people think about it.

just_me, Feb 3, 2010 @ 13:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I like this function.

I like this function.

JustChilling, Feb 3, 2010 @ 13:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks guys.

Just to clarify - the 'Profile Pop Ups' only open when you click on someone's username from content on the site.

If you click on a username in the 'Members' section, you get right to his profile.

O

Thanks guys.

Just to clarify - the 'Profile Pop Ups' only open when you click on someone's username from content on the site.

If you click on a username in the 'Members' section, you get right to his profile.

O

SiteAdmin Oded, Feb 3, 2010 @ 13:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Verbier - would you want all member searches to apply to All Cities or only the Search by Name?

Oded

Verbier - would you want all member searches to apply to All Cities or only the Search by Name?

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Feb 3, 2010 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Oded,

I think it is easiest to do everything based on All Cities. You have the further criteria (sex, age, country etc.) that would allow the person to "fine tune" things. If you wanted to go overboard, you could put the City selector as one of the further criteria.

Most users (especially new ones) are looking for the most simple and direct search.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Verbier

Hi Oded,

I think it is easiest to do everything based on All Cities. You have the further criteria (sex, age, country etc.) that would allow the person to "fine tune" things. If you wanted to go overboard, you could put the City selector as one of the further criteria.

Most users (especially new ones) are looking for the most simple and direct search.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Verbier

Verbier, Feb 3, 2010 @ 19:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

As Oded said, the idea behind the 'quick profile' pop up is to increase speed: it allows members to quickly see basic data about other users (the pop up comes up instantly), and then decide if they want to click again to see the full profile. 

Is there more info we should include on the pop-up to make it more useful?

Right now it includes:

- user name

- city

- members since

- last visit

- tag line

- buttons for email, chat, and full profile view. 

Thanks, 

Nir

As Oded said, the idea behind the 'quick profile' pop up is to increase speed: it allows members to quickly see basic data about other users (the pop up comes up instantly), and then decide if they want to click again to see the full profile. 

Is there more info we should include on the pop-up to make it more useful?

Right now it includes:

- user name

- city

- members since

- last visit

- tag line

- buttons for email, chat, and full profile view. 

Thanks, 

Nir

Nir Ofek, Feb 3, 2010 @ 20:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Oded/Nir,

The pop-up is fantastic.  I think, it serves the purpose as:

1) it's great to have a quick zoom, without leaving the page

2) it cuts one page-load, esp. if one wants to just send an email/chat

What'd be great to have (my wishlist):

a) "Originally from" information.  

It'd help people recall better (O yeah, the Indian/Italian/Brazilian guy/girl I met to at that event...) 

b) Clicking on the "Profile" link takes you to the profile, but then clicking on the back button takes you to the search, rather than the page one was actually on.  

I think it'd be great to have the Profile button lead to a new tab/window...but that's subject to one's preference

c) Now that there are pop-ups, it'd be great if the whole profile came up, without the little "More" button.  

Didn't realize "More" of profiles existed for a long time...was thinking why did I have to fill up so much stuff when only so much is shown...again, not everyone is as blind a bat as I am :)

d) The pop-up currently comes up in the center of the browser window.  It'd be great to have the pop-up be close to the link itself, by hovering the mouse over it, preferably. The LinkedIn site's awesome (screenshot attached).  This cuts down moving the cursor to the center each time one wants to do more on/close the pop up.

Keep up the great work.  

Cheers!

Arun

Hi Oded/Nir,

It'd help people recall better (O yeah, the Indian/Italian/Brazilian guy/girl I met to at that event...) 

b) Clicking on the "Profile" link takes you to the profile, but then clicking on the back button takes you to the search, rather than the page one was actually on.  

I think it'd be great to have the Profile button lead to a new tab/window...but that's subject to one's preference

c) Now that there are pop-ups, it'd be great if the whole profile came up, without the little "More" button.  

Didn't realize "More" of profiles existed for a long time...was thinking why did I have to fill up so much stuff when only so much is shown...again, not everyone is as blind a bat as I am :)

d) The pop-up currently comes up in the center of the browser window.  It'd be great to have the pop-up be close to the link itself, by hovering the mouse over it, preferably. The LinkedIn site's awesome (screenshot attached).  This cuts down moving the cursor to the center each time one wants to do more on/close the pop up.

Keep up the great work.  

Cheers!

Arun

Arun K V, Feb 14, 2010 @ 18:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi Oded/Nir,

Keep up the great work.  

Cheers!

Arun

Feb 14, 10 18:34

You're welcome, Oded & Justin. :)

P.S.: Point b is only when profile is accessed from events, Hitting back goes back to event list.

Also, I've been using Google Chrome, will try and check on other browsers.

Arun

You're welcome, Oded & Justin. :)

P.S.: Point b is only when profile is accessed from events, Hitting back goes back to event list.

Also, I've been using Google Chrome, will try and check on other browsers.

Arun

Arun K V, Feb 14, 2010 @ 22:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Personnaly, I see it as a loss of time : when I want to see who's somebody, I want the whole profile, so each time, I need to make one more click to access it

Personnaly, I see it as a loss of time : when I want to see who's somebody, I want the whole profile, so each time, I need to make one more click to access it

Bustan_A, Feb 17, 2010 @ 11:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

A further question. What is this option (?) that allows people to block their full profile? I don't remember seeing this in the old site.

A further question. What is this option (?) that allows people to block their full profile? I don't remember seeing this in the old site.

Verbier, Feb 17, 2010 @ 11:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Thanks Bustan.

The idea was that if, for example, you're reading the forums and want to send one of the posters a message, instead of having to go to his/her profile page, send them a message, and then go back to the page you were viewing, you'd be able to just click on their name and send them a message from the profile pop up, without leaving the page you were on.

We're thinking of also creating pop ups for activities/events, so people will be able to see the details without going into the activity/event page, so the feedback we get here will help us decide whether or not to do this.

O

Thanks Bustan.

The idea was that if, for example, you're reading the forums and want to send one of the posters a message, instead of having to go to his/her profile page, send them a message, and then go back to the page you were viewing, you'd be able to just click on their name and send them a message from the profile pop up, without leaving the page you were on.

We're thinking of also creating pop ups for activities/events, so people will be able to see the details without going into the activity/event page, so the feedback we get here will help us decide whether or not to do this.

O

SiteAdmin Oded, Feb 17, 2010 @ 11:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Feb 17, 10 11:23

Hi Verbier

The default is for profiles to be open to all glocals members, but, to address privacy concerns, we allow people to make their profile 'private', which means that only their glocals friends are able to see their profiles.

O

Hi Verbier

The default is for profiles to be open to all glocals members, but, to address privacy concerns, we allow people to make their profile 'private', which means that only their glocals friends are able to see their profiles.

O

SiteAdmin Oded, Feb 17, 2010 @ 11:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 1648 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form