Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > Profiles without photos still show up in filtered searches

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Profiles without photos still show up in filtered searches

Just curious why this happens? When I filter for members' profiles and click on photos only, I still get results without photos. You know, the big red chicken! So what's up with that?

The text you are quoting:

Just curious why this happens? When I filter for members' profiles and click on photos only, I still get results without photos. You know, the big red chicken! So what's up with that?

Dan ZOct 28, 2013 @ 08:14
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1596 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Profiles without photos still show up in filtered searches
Post 1

It's because people have not chosen to upload their own photo, so it defaults to the 'photo' of the chicken.

It's because people have not chosen to upload their own photo, so it defaults to the 'photo' of the chicken.

Juliane S, Oct 28, 2013 @ 08:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I should probably clarify. When I click on members section and filter to show those members "with profile photos" by clicking the box in the filtered area, I still get results from those who have not uploaded their own photos. In other words, the big chicken.

I would think that the purpose to search for members "with profile photos" would be to filter out those results that do not have a personal profile picture. Am I missing something?

Thanks

I should probably clarify. When I click on members section and filter to show those members "with profile photos" by clicking the box in the filtered area, I still get results from those who have not uploaded their own photos. In other words, the big chicken.

I would think that the purpose to search for members "with profile photos" would be to filter out those results that do not have a personal profile picture. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Dan Z, Oct 28, 2013 @ 08:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I understand what you are saying and agree it must be frustrating for you to see so many fat chickens! Sorry to disappoint you, but I think the answer is still the same - the default picture of the chicken has been set up on glocals as a profile photo. So it will always appear in the filtered lists along with profile photos uploaded by members. Maybe the filter should say "non-default profile photos", but then that would be a programming nightmare. Maybe a computer guru glocals administrator needs to do some work on this?

So I guess you are stuck with searching through the fat chickens, and just have to hope that the charming personalities of the individuals shine through and are eventually matched with whatever physical features you are looking for?

I understand what you are saying and agree it must be frustrating for you to see so many fat chickens! Sorry to disappoint you, but I think the answer is still the same - the default picture of the chicken has been set up on glocals as a profile photo. So it will always appear in the filtered lists along with profile photos uploaded by members. Maybe the filter should say "non-default profile photos", but then that would be a programming nightmare. Maybe a computer guru glocals administrator needs to do some work on this?

So I guess you are stuck with searching through the fat chickens, and just have to hope that the charming personalities of the individuals shine through and are eventually matched with whatever physical features you are looking for?

Juliane S, Oct 28, 2013 @ 09:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I just did a test, and with the "With profile pictures" box checked I did indeed still get some chickens, but when I unchecked it I got a lot more in exactly the same search.

So it filters some out, but not all. No idea why.

I just did a test, and with the "With profile pictures" box checked I did indeed still get some chickens, but when I unchecked it I got a lot more in exactly the same search.

Fionnuala O, Oct 28, 2013 @ 09:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Oct 28, 13 09:20

I wonder if this is people who have never had a photo vs those who had one and then reverted to the chicken? 

Anyway, what's wrong with us chickens?! ;) 

I wonder if this is people who have never had a photo vs those who had one and then reverted to the chicken? 

Anyway, what's wrong with us chickens?! ;) 

Lucy L, Oct 28, 2013 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Why would anyone search "with photo's only"...does it really matter? Unless....this is a dating site filter ;)

***This comment is by no means aimed at starting a glocals dating site debate!***

Why would anyone search "with photo's only"...does it really matter? Unless....this is a dating site filter ;)

***This comment is by no means aimed at starting a glocals dating site debate!***

Angie S, Oct 28, 2013 @ 13:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Oct 28, 13 13:40

Angie, i totally agree. Ok nice to see a real face but unless people are looking for something where looks are important the chickens can stay chickens ;-) 

Angie, i totally agree. Ok nice to see a real face but unless people are looking for something where looks are important the chickens can stay chickens ;-) 

Oonagh, Oct 28, 2013 @ 13:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi all, good questions about why only profiles with pictures. The main reason is that for using the classified section to inquire about a roommate or to buy/sell something of high value, I personally would feel more at ease if the person has an actual profile picture. In addition, if I decided to attend an event, it is a bit easier to spot the person(s) if one knows what they look like. Wasn't looking specifically for a certain type of member, just noticed it didn't work when I applied the filter. Hope that helps clear it up!

Hi all, good questions about why only profiles with pictures. The main reason is that for using the classified section to inquire about a roommate or to buy/sell something of high value, I personally would feel more at ease if the person has an actual profile picture. In addition, if I decided to attend an event, it is a bit easier to spot the person(s) if one knows what they look like. Wasn't looking specifically for a certain type of member, just noticed it didn't work when I applied the filter. Hope that helps clear it up!

Dan Z, Oct 28, 2013 @ 14:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Oct 28, 13 14:10

I totally agree with you Dan. It is nice to see a face when you are replying to an advert or attending an event. I just think the search option that filters people with/without photo's is very targeted at a specific kind of search!

Nevertheless, its a free world and everyone needs a little love! :)

I totally agree with you Dan. It is nice to see a face when you are replying to an advert or attending an event. I just think the search option that filters people with/without photo's is very targeted at a specific kind of search!

Nevertheless, its a free world and everyone needs a little love! :)

Angie S, Oct 28, 2013 @ 14:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1596 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form