Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > Site not very Opera-friendly

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Site not very Opera-friendly

Hi,

I use Opera as my main browser, but unfortunately it doesn't play well with glocals. It seems that most of the problems are javascript-related. For example:

- Posting a message is a hit or miss - sometimes it will just be stuck in "Posting..." forever.

- The chat tab at the bottom can occasionally appear, but most of the time it's just blank.

- Back/forward don't work well. Usually pressing back will just force it back to the same screen (because of the messagebox?)

- Sometimes when going to www.glocals.com, I just get a redirect screen to www.glocals.com/activate_account . Reloading usually fixes this.

Any idea if these issues might get fixed or looked into? I'm not particularly keen on having to fire up IE to post a forum message.

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I use Opera as my main browser, but unfortunately it doesn't play well with glocals. It seems that most of the problems are javascript-related. For example:

- Posting a message is a hit or miss - sometimes it will just be stuck in "Posting..." forever.

- The chat tab at the bottom can occasionally appear, but most of the time it's just blank.

- Back/forward don't work well. Usually pressing back will just force it back to the same screen (because of the messagebox?)

- Sometimes when going to www.glocals.com, I just get a redirect screen to www.glocals.com/activate_account . Reloading usually fixes this.

Any idea if these issues might get fixed or looked into? I'm not particularly keen on having to fire up IE to post a forum message.

JouniNov 24, 2009 @ 11:33
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

17 Replies | 1927 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Site not very Opera-friendly
Post 1

I suggest you install Firefox.It's free, not heavy, and very good.

(while the site admin takes into account your input and checks what's wrong with opera).

I suggest you install Firefox.It's free, not heavy, and very good.

(while the site admin takes into account your input and checks what's wrong with opera).

Stef__Granny, Nov 24, 2009 @ 11:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

When might we be able to post active Internet links with Fire Fox ??

When might we be able to post active Internet links with Fire Fox ??

Verbier, Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi guys

@ Jouni - Optimizing a site for all browsers is a bit of a nightmare, and since Opera is not very popular we did not invest in making glocals Opera friendly.
I'll look into this, but unless these are easy fixes I doubt we'll be able to solve this at the moment.  Sorry :-(

@Stef_Granny - ciao bello :-)

@ Verbier - this should be fixed now.  You can write your text, highlight it, click on the 'Add Link' icon, and add your target url.

Is this still not working properly?

Oded

Hi guys

@ Jouni - Optimizing a site for all browsers is a bit of a nightmare, and since Opera is not very popular we did not invest in making glocals Opera friendly.
I'll look into this, but unless these are easy fixes I doubt we'll be able to solve this at the moment.  Sorry :-(

@Stef_Granny - ciao bello :-)

@ Verbier - this should be fixed now.  You can write your text, highlight it, click on the 'Add Link' icon, and add your target url.

Is this still not working properly?

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

The link buttons are not active/lit up when using FF3.

When I want to paste a link, I get a pop up box that forces me to add the text in there. No chance to do an active link. At the top of the box it is written "paste as plain text".

Hope this helps.

The link buttons are not active/lit up when using FF3.

When I want to paste a link, I get a pop up box that forces me to add the text in there. No chance to do an active link. At the top of the box it is written "paste as plain text".

Hope this helps.

Verbier, Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

testing link on FF

google.com

testing link on FF

google.com

SiteAdmin Oded, Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Works ok for me Verbier

You need to first type or past the text you want people to see, then highlight this text, and then click on the 'Add Link' icon (see below)

So you can write the url (www.xxx.com) and then make it a link to www.xxx.com

Please try it and let me know if its not working.

O

Works ok for me Verbier

You need to first type or past the text you want people to see, then highlight this text, and then click on the 'Add Link' icon (see below)

So you can write the url (www.xxx.com) and then make it a link to www.xxx.com

Please try it and let me know if its not working.

O

SiteAdmin Oded, Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Test.

http://edition.cnn.com/

When I want to paste. I get forced to this pop up box. Then the link is in regular text. I highlight the link then I get forced to another pop up box that wants me to repaste the link. Then finally the link is active.

It works but several steps required vs. other websites I use. The logic is normally - click on the link button, pop up is shown, paste link there (or type it in) then hit ok. Link is then live.

Test.

http://edition.cnn.com/

When I want to paste. I get forced to this pop up box. Then the link is in regular text. I highlight the link then I get forced to another pop up box that wants me to repaste the link. Then finally the link is active.

It works but several steps required vs. other websites I use. The logic is normally - click on the link button, pop up is shown, paste link there (or type it in) then hit ok. Link is then live.

Verbier, Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I agree - its not very user-friendly.

I'll see what I can do...

Oded

I agree - its not very user-friendly.

I'll see what I can do...

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Nov 24, 2009 @ 13:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

@Oded

In my experience, there's only 2 categories of browsers to make a website for - IE and Others. IE requires special optimizations and nightmarish hacks, and if you get something to look right, leave it as is and don't even sneeze at it. All the others (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) are pretty standards-compliant, so just keeping to standards usually makes a site easily cross-compatible.

So it's entirely possible there's just a little thing here or there, and fixing them could very well fix compatibility issues with other less-used browsers too.

@Oded

In my experience, there's only 2 categories of browsers to make a website for - IE and Others. IE requires special optimizations and nightmarish hacks, and if you get something to look right, leave it as is and don't even sneeze at it. All the others (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) are pretty standards-compliant, so just keeping to standards usually makes a site easily cross-compatible.

So it's entirely possible there's just a little thing here or there, and fixing them could very well fix compatibility issues with other less-used browsers too.

Jouni, Nov 24, 2009 @ 13:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Ciao odie!

Testing the link

Ciao odie!

Testing the link

Stef__Granny, Nov 24, 2009 @ 15:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I don't understand Verbier.

It works marvel for me! (In firefox)

I just highlighted the text I want to add the link to ("link" in the test above) and paste or write the url address in the pop up windows.

One single step.

(Or did I miss something?)

I don't understand Verbier.

It works marvel for me! (In firefox)

I just highlighted the text I want to add the link to ("link" in the test above) and paste or write the url address in the pop up windows.

One single step.

(Or did I miss something?)

Stef__Granny, Nov 24, 2009 @ 15:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Well it's true not everyone can appreciate opera... (I love it)

What? you are not talking about this kind of Opera??

oopss Sealed

Well it's true not everyone can appreciate opera... (I love it)

What? you are not talking about this kind of Opera??

oopss Sealed

Phoebe, Nov 24, 2009 @ 20:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

I am running FF 3.5.5 (latest version) so that may be part of the difference.

Other than that, it happens as described in post number 7. I can get it to work but it is several steps and not as Stef_Granny seems to be able to do with FF as well.

For example. As I am typing this, the link button is not "active". I can see it faintly but when I click on it, nothing happens.

Oh well.

I am running FF 3.5.5 (latest version) so that may be part of the difference.

Other than that, it happens as described in post number 7. I can get it to work but it is several steps and not as Stef_Granny seems to be able to do with FF as well.

For example. As I am typing this, the link button is not "active". I can see it faintly but when I click on it, nothing happens.

Oh well.

Verbier, Nov 24, 2009 @ 20:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Verbier - we're talking 2 seperate issues here.

The link button becomes active after you highlight some text, and this works properly.

The 'problem' is that if you try to paste a link into your post, you get a pop up window, which creates a useless extra step, and this is something I will try to fix.

O

Verbier - we're talking 2 seperate issues here.

The link button becomes active after you highlight some text, and this works properly.

The 'problem' is that if you try to paste a link into your post, you get a pop up window, which creates a useless extra step, and this is something I will try to fix.

O

SiteAdmin Oded, Nov 24, 2009 @ 20:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Just for the record Opera is also my browser of choice so I also experience the problems highlighted by Jouni with Glocals. The most annoying one is the one with the post button.

I used to have some loyalty to Firefox but it seemed to be getting more and more bloated and I finally lost patience with the whole thing freezing while it was waiting for a DNS request to return.

Just for the record Opera is also my browser of choice so I also experience the problems highlighted by Jouni with Glocals. The most annoying one is the one with the post button.

I used to have some loyalty to Firefox but it seemed to be getting more and more bloated and I finally lost patience with the whole thing freezing while it was waiting for a DNS request to return.

rich_t, Nov 24, 2009 @ 21:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I also use Opera since I feel it is overall superior to Firefox, which feels slow and bloated in comparison. So it's a shame when some sites will not work correctly with it. We're fortunately not in the days of "IE only"-sites anymore. Still, of the sites I regularly visit, only glocals gives me issues.

So if a web dev can have a look at the javascripts with Opera, you might find something like errors in the code which some browsers can cope with but others die out on. It's actually quite easy to look at in Opera, since it comes with an excellent webpage developer/debug screen. Javascript isn't my forte, but maybe if a skilled web guru will have a look, who knows what can be found?

P.S. I wrote that post above with Opera and again, stuck at "posting...". Currently seeing if posting works using konqueror (I'm on my linux box.) The site seems to work fine with that browser, except it's really slow.

I also use Opera since I feel it is overall superior to Firefox, which feels slow and bloated in comparison. So it's a shame when some sites will not work correctly with it. We're fortunately not in the days of "IE only"-sites anymore. Still, of the sites I regularly visit, only glocals gives me issues.

So if a web dev can have a look at the javascripts with Opera, you might find something like errors in the code which some browsers can cope with but others die out on. It's actually quite easy to look at in Opera, since it comes with an excellent webpage developer/debug screen. Javascript isn't my forte, but maybe if a skilled web guru will have a look, who knows what can be found?

P.S. I wrote that post above with Opera and again, stuck at "posting...". Currently seeing if posting works using konqueror (I'm on my linux box.) The site seems to work fine with that browser, except it's really slow.

Jouni, Nov 24, 2009 @ 22:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Sorry, I couldn't find a way to leave a private feedback to webmaster/admin, so I'll continue here. It's just that writing out technical details on a public forum like this is a bit boring for everyone to read. Anyway...

Funnily enough, I see that my post above made it through. Even though after I clicked on "post" using konqueror, it seemed to be stuck just like Opera. However, the message was actually posted. Here's a bit of what konq's error console said for this page:

Error: http://www.glocals.com/forums/new-site-feedback: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: GS_googleAddAdSenseService

[SNIP, many like above]

Error: http://www.glocals.com/forums/new-site-feedback/Site-not-very-Opera-friendly-79186.htm: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: GS_googleAddAdSenseService

[SNIP again, many like above]

I'm not fully sure if these are the JS errors that cause the posting problem, but they could be related. As a side note, Opera and konqueror are generally considered the two most standards-compliant browsers of the bunch. So if both elicit similar symptoms, it could indicate a bug somewhere in the code.

Sorry, I couldn't find a way to leave a private feedback to webmaster/admin, so I'll continue here. It's just that writing out technical details on a public forum like this is a bit boring for everyone to read. Anyway...

Funnily enough, I see that my post above made it through. Even though after I clicked on "post" using konqueror, it seemed to be stuck just like Opera. However, the message was actually posted. Here's a bit of what konq's error console said for this page:

Error: http://www.glocals.com/forums/new-site-feedback: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: GS_googleAddAdSenseService

[SNIP, many like above]

Error: http://www.glocals.com/forums/new-site-feedback/Site-not-very-Opera-friendly-79186.htm: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: GS_googleAddAdSenseService

[SNIP again, many like above]

I'm not fully sure if these are the JS errors that cause the posting problem, but they could be related. As a side note, Opera and konqueror are generally considered the two most standards-compliant browsers of the bunch. So if both elicit similar symptoms, it could indicate a bug somewhere in the code.

Jouni, Nov 24, 2009 @ 22:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
17 Replies | 1927 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form