Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > No Amazon in Switzerland? Any alternatives?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
No Amazon in Switzerland? Any alternatives?

It seems the land of Capitalism has been skipped as a market by Amazon. So Is there an alternative online market to purchase things like Bay items, diapers household stuff etc. ?

I am aware of http://www.misco.ch/ or http://www.toppreise.ch/ which in case you did not know are great for online electronics needs. Any good online shops like these for general items, who ship to switzerland.

And yes amazon.de and amazon.fr do ship some items (like books and dvds) but not other stuff.

Any input will be deeply appreciated...

The text you are quoting:

It seems the land of Capitalism has been skipped as a market by Amazon. So Is there an alternative online market to purchase things like Bay items, diapers household stuff etc. ?

I am aware of http://www.misco.ch/ or http://www.toppreise.ch/ which in case you did not know are great for online electronics needs. Any good online shops like these for general items, who ship to switzerland.

And yes amazon.de and amazon.fr do ship some items (like books and dvds) but not other stuff.

rpravahanOct 30, 2011 @ 14:04
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

38 Replies | 116069 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: No Amazon in Switzerland? Any alternatives?
Post 1

Oct 30, 11 14:04

But they deliver to Switzerland. I have had things sent from both the french one and the british one. But you should note that:

1. the delivery will not be free so you might want to buy more than one thing at a time to minimize deliver costs

2. The delivery time will be longer, it usually takes around a week.

3. The tax... if the order total is less than 70 franks you will not be charged tax! This can pay for the postage and let you save a bit extra. But if its over 70 you will be charged tax by the switzers and they will charge an extra 18 franks for admin.... so either order in bunches below 70 or make a huge order where you dont care about the 18 franks...

But they deliver to Switzerland. I have had things sent from both the french one and the british one. But you should note that:

1. the delivery will not be free so you might want to buy more than one thing at a time to minimize deliver costs

2. The delivery time will be longer, it usually takes around a week.

3. The tax... if the order total is less than 70 franks you will not be charged tax! This can pay for the postage and let you save a bit extra. But if its over 70 you will be charged tax by the switzers and they will charge an extra 18 franks for admin.... so either order in bunches below 70 or make a huge order where you dont care about the 18 franks...

Andrew I, Oct 30, 2011 @ 14:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

@Andrew,

How did you do it? I was in the amazon.de site. When I put in my Geneva shipping address it gave me an error in most of the items in my cart except, I think one. (It was a rain cover)

Is there a trick to getting things shipped to Gva? Do I need to call ?I don't mind the 2 week shippingand the 18 franks as some things seem to be 50% less in the .de site than here in Geneva if I can find them at all.

@Andrew,

How did you do it? I was in the amazon.de site. When I put in my Geneva shipping address it gave me an error in most of the items in my cart except, I think one. (It was a rain cover)

Is there a trick to getting things shipped to Gva? Do I need to call ?I don't mind the 2 week shippingand the 18 franks as some things seem to be 50% less in the .de site than here in Geneva if I can find them at all.

rpravahan, Oct 30, 2011 @ 14:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

@Andrew,

Oct 30, 11 14:41

But what sort of items are you buying?

But what sort of items are you buying?

Andrew I, Oct 30, 2011 @ 15:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

When I'm buying books on Amazon.fr, I'm using a "poste restante" address (don't know the word in English) in a French post office around Geneva. 

They'll ask your ID card, that's all, plus 0.60 per parcel/letter (they'll keep it for you up to 15 days).

This way, if ordering from France, you'll get the national shipping rate (cheaper, faster), and if ordering from any other European amazon, you'll skip the Swiss tax ...

When I'm buying books on Amazon.fr, I'm using a "poste restante" address (don't know the word in English) in a French post office around Geneva. 

They'll ask your ID card, that's all, plus 0.60 per parcel/letter (they'll keep it for you up to 15 days).

This way, if ordering from France, you'll get the national shipping rate (cheaper, faster), and if ordering from any other European amazon, you'll skip the Swiss tax ...

missdaisy, Oct 30, 2011 @ 22:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Well he was saying there are items that he cant get delivered at all here apparently.

Well he was saying there are items that he cant get delivered at all here apparently.

Andrew I, Oct 31, 2011 @ 00:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

You may try other Amazon web sites. I had books delivered from amazon.com, amazon.de and amazon.fr to my home in Geneva. The only problem is the taxes that you sometimes have to pay and I have never been able to figure out what rules customs apply. Alternative: there are many French residents on Glocal. Have th goods delivered to their place.

You may try other Amazon web sites. I had books delivered from amazon.com, amazon.de and amazon.fr to my home in Geneva. The only problem is the taxes that you sometimes have to pay and I have never been able to figure out what rules customs apply. Alternative: there are many French residents on Glocal. Have th goods delivered to their place.

Free, Oct 31, 2011 @ 06:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

forget the German site, use the UK Amazon site, I have never had problems with the UK sites, they never let me down!!....  ;-))  they always deliver to Switzerland from the UK.  No problems there.  Problem solved! :-)))

Enjoy. :-)

forget the German site, use the UK Amazon site, I have never had problems with the UK sites, they never let me down!!....  ;-))  they always deliver to Switzerland from the UK.  No problems there.  Problem solved! :-)))

Enjoy. :-)

SiobhanC, Oct 31, 2011 @ 08:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I'd agree with many of the comments, the UK site has never let me down, though if it's an individual seller, they may choose not to export to CH which could be the reason for your troubles!

The no VAT clause is also rather beneficial...if you're ok to wait a little longer!

I'd agree with many of the comments, the UK site has never let me down, though if it's an individual seller, they may choose not to export to CH which could be the reason for your troubles!

The no VAT clause is also rather beneficial...if you're ok to wait a little longer!

Chris B, Nov 2, 2011 @ 12:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi All... Thanks for all your responses. I will try out the UK site. The problem is that many items are not for exporting, e.g. diapers for babies, some electronic goods. Some items are really 2 times the price in stores in Switzerland than what I found in Amazon.de. Well I will try the UK site and give feedback for my items as well.

I think books, CDs etc. are no trouble and one can ship even from the US site with fairly cheap shipping.

Also most electronic/electrical stuff I can get shipped straight from Hong Kong to Switzerland with free shipping :) And then there is toppreise. The only things are daily use things, baby use stuff, householditems...

Hi All... Thanks for all your responses. I will try out the UK site. The problem is that many items are not for exporting, e.g. diapers for babies, some electronic goods. Some items are really 2 times the price in stores in Switzerland than what I found in Amazon.de. Well I will try the UK site and give feedback for my items as well.

I think books, CDs etc. are no trouble and one can ship even from the US site with fairly cheap shipping.

Also most electronic/electrical stuff I can get shipped straight from Hong Kong to Switzerland with free shipping :) And then there is toppreise. The only things are daily use things, baby use stuff, householditems...

rpravahan, Nov 2, 2011 @ 14:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I think Ebay doesnt exist in Switzerland largely due to the success of local rival www.ricardo.ch

I think Ebay doesnt exist in Switzerland largely due to the success of local rival www.ricardo.ch

Nikolas S, Nov 2, 2011 @ 22:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

There's no Amazon Switzerland, but Amazon UK and Amazon Germany deliver to Switzerland on nearly all products.

There's no Amazon Switzerland, but Amazon UK and Amazon Germany deliver to Switzerland on nearly all products.

Nir Ofek, Sep 6, 2012 @ 23:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Sep 6, 12 23:49

I try to place orders and more than half my cart is rejected because many Amazon Marketplace sellers do not ship outside the EU.

I try to place orders and more than half my cart is rejected because many Amazon Marketplace sellers do not ship outside the EU.

richardm, Sep 7, 2012 @ 10:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi there, my alternative is to use the French sites amazon.fr or fnac.com and they ship to relais colis or relais kiala in the neighboring French towns. It's a network of shops which give the services to most big online shops in France. They usually have extended opening hours for you to collect. For example, Fnac will deliver at the Intermarche in Gaillard, open until 8pm every day and even open on Sunday morning. Try that!

Hi there, my alternative is to use the French sites amazon.fr or fnac.com and they ship to relais colis or relais kiala in the neighboring French towns. It's a network of shops which give the services to most big online shops in France. They usually have extended opening hours for you to collect. For example, Fnac will deliver at the Intermarche in Gaillard, open until 8pm every day and even open on Sunday morning. Try that!

Aurelie B, Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

For English books, another good site (with free shipping to CH) is :

www.bookdepository.co.uk

For English DVDs, there is www.play.com also from the UK and has free shipping. They do not ship items like electronics (have a look at the list of what can be shipped).

For English books, another good site (with free shipping to CH) is :

www.bookdepository.co.uk

For English DVDs, there is www.play.com also from the UK and has free shipping. They do not ship items like electronics (have a look at the list of what can be shipped).

Verbier, Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Ebay works perfectly well here as does the book depository. I use book depository a lot, delivery is pretty good and free. 

Ebay works perfectly well here as does the book depository. I use book depository a lot, delivery is pretty good and free. 

Karl N, Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

This is great stuff guys, thanks. I order a ton of books from Amazon Switzerland, and never knew the bookDepository existed. New world just opened up...(-:

This is great stuff guys, thanks. I order a ton of books from Amazon Switzerland, and never knew the bookDepository existed. New world just opened up...(-:

Nir Ofek, Sep 7, 2012 @ 12:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

You can also use the Italian version of Amazon www.amazon.it.

They deliver in Switzerland and if I'm not wrong over Euro 20 the do no apply postage expenses.

You can also use the Italian version of Amazon www.amazon.it.

They deliver in Switzerland and if I'm not wrong over Euro 20 the do no apply postage expenses.

Fiorella P, Sep 7, 2012 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

In case this hasn't been said, Super Saver Shipping (Free Shipping) is offerred for puchases of books on Amazon.de and Amazon.fr (minimum purchase 15Euros).  Not so through Amazon.co.uk.    Items other than books cannot be shipped to Switzerland.

If you keep your book purchases under 200CHF, you will not be charged duty.

If you need a book desperately though, shipment often faster if ordered through .co.uk.

In case this hasn't been said, Super Saver Shipping (Free Shipping) is offerred for puchases of books on Amazon.de and Amazon.fr (minimum purchase 15Euros).  Not so through Amazon.co.uk.    Items other than books cannot be shipped to Switzerland.

If you need a book desperately though, shipment often faster if ordered through .co.uk.

Michelle W, Sep 7, 2012 @ 14:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Sep 7, 12 14:01

I've had to pay duty on packages that have values much lower than CHF200. I believe the maximum is CHF60. 

Other than that, nice info. 

I've had to pay duty on packages that have values much lower than CHF200. I believe the maximum is CHF60. 

Other than that, nice info. 

Edward B, Sep 7, 2012 @ 14:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

I usually buy my books from Amazon.de and if they cost more than sFr. 25.-- or Euro I dont pay for postage and for books Swiss dont charge taxes.

I usually buy my books from Amazon.de and if they cost more than sFr. 25.-- or Euro I dont pay for postage and for books Swiss dont charge taxes.

Dorothy W, Sep 7, 2012 @ 14:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Yeah I may have had DVDs or CDs in there along with books. Great to know.

Yeah I may have had DVDs or CDs in there along with books. Great to know.

Edward B, Sep 7, 2012 @ 17:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

You might also consider supporting your local bookshops -- FNAC, Payot and Off the Shelf all will order for you at a reasonable cost...

You might also consider supporting your local bookshops -- FNAC, Payot and Off the Shelf all will order for you at a reasonable cost...

Zetacat, Sep 8, 2012 @ 22:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

And the Coop for your Nappies/"diapers" and "household stuff" which is where this post started - but I've loved (and learned) so much from this forum.   I can't "Thank" all the posters, even though I'd like to.

It's so refreshing to get positive, beneficial ideas from everyone about living in Switzerland (even if it IS about avoiding tax - haha!)  For me, this is what glocals and the forums, is all about - sharing great information that benefits us all - not just "bitchin'n'moanin about all that's wrong/boring with/about..... Switzerland.....'"

Love it and THANKS.....

Nir/Oded - is there anyway you can "save" a forum, so that one can refer back to it?  I would be interested in saving this particular thread.Cool

And the Coop for your Nappies/"diapers" and "household stuff" which is where this post started - but I've loved (and learned) so much from this forum.   I can't "Thank" all the posters, even though I'd like to.

It's so refreshing to get positive, beneficial ideas from everyone about living in Switzerland (even if it IS about avoiding tax - haha!)  For me, this is what glocals and the forums, is all about - sharing great information that benefits us all - not just "bitchin'n'moanin about all that's wrong/boring with/about..... Switzerland.....'"

Love it and THANKS.....

Nir/Oded - is there anyway you can "save" a forum, so that one can refer back to it?  I would be interested in saving this particular thread.Cool

Carolyn C, Sep 8, 2012 @ 23:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Sep 8, 12 22:32

Unfortunately, the costs are not reasonable,at least not for the kind of books I buy. A popular book (paperback) about marketing or business typically costs SFr.10-15 on Amazon and will cost SFr. 30 or more at FNAC or Payot. Multiply that by the number of books I buy and I'm saving a lot of money. 

Second, if I order at a local book store I have to make 2 trips (since I don't live in the center); with Amazon I get the book delivered to my door in 3-7 days. 

Third, if I want to buy the best book on a certain subject I go on Amazon anyway, because it's the best source of information. The English-language Payot in Geneva may have a book on the subject, but there's way of knowing if it's good unless you check it on Amazon. 

Finally, e-books. 

10 years ago I could spend hours in a bookstore. Now I don't even see the point of them being there anymore. 

Unfortunately, the costs are not reasonable,at least not for the kind of books I buy. A popular book (paperback) about marketing or business typically costs SFr.10-15 on Amazon and will cost SFr. 30 or more at FNAC or Payot. Multiply that by the number of books I buy and I'm saving a lot of money. 

Second, if I order at a local book store I have to make 2 trips (since I don't live in the center); with Amazon I get the book delivered to my door in 3-7 days. 

Third, if I want to buy the best book on a certain subject I go on Amazon anyway, because it's the best source of information. The English-language Payot in Geneva may have a book on the subject, but there's way of knowing if it's good unless you check it on Amazon. 

Finally, e-books. 

10 years ago I could spend hours in a bookstore. Now I don't even see the point of them being there anymore. 

Edward B, Sep 8, 2012 @ 23:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Expanding on Carolyn's suggestion about saving the thread: A Swiss tips & tricks section? Thiy would fall under the e-order s sectoin, but there may be other valuable suggestions that we may wnat to save.

Expanding on Carolyn's suggestion about saving the thread: A Swiss tips & tricks section? Thiy would fall under the e-order s sectoin, but there may be other valuable suggestions that we may wnat to save.

Free, Sep 9, 2012 @ 00:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Love it and THANKS.....

Sep 8, 12 23:11

Probably the easiest way is to save it as a 'favorite' in your browser. 

Probably the easiest way is to save it as a 'favorite' in your browser. 

Edward B, Sep 9, 2012 @ 00:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Caro:

We currently don't have a way for members to mark favourite threads. But there are 2 other less elegant solutions:

1. Follow Edward's suggestion and mark this page as favourite, Or:

2. Type Amazon Switzerland into the searc box in the glocals forums section, and this thread will come up.

Nir

Caro:

We currently don't have a way for members to mark favourite threads. But there are 2 other less elegant solutions:

1. Follow Edward's suggestion and mark this page as favourite, Or:

2. Type Amazon Switzerland into the searc box in the glocals forums section, and this thread will come up.

Nir

Nir Ofek, Sep 9, 2012 @ 00:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

If you or one of your friends works at CERN they will automatically have both a swiss and French mailing address (below). You can then use amazon.fr!

Organisation Européenne pour la Recherche Nucléaire 
F-01631 
CERN Cedex France

If you or one of your friends works at CERN they will automatically have both a swiss and French mailing address (below). You can then use amazon.fr!

Organisation Européenne pour la Recherche Nucléaire 
F-01631 
CERN Cedex France

Matt Fisher, Sep 9, 2012 @ 10:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Very useful information !

Mainly for person like me who just moved to Geneva. Thanks for all those who contributed. 

Very useful information !

Mainly for person like me who just moved to Geneva. Thanks for all those who contributed. 

Jotheeswaran A, Aug 3, 2015 @ 08:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Last time I ordered on Amazon.fr (and also Amazon.com), for items sold by Amazon, they took off the French VAT and "pre-charged" some import taxes. That way you know how high they are, and have nothing to pay when you receive the packet. If they charged you too much they will issue you a refund of the difference.

Fnac.fr also delivers from Switzerland, taking off French VAT (which is up to 21% so that's a big deal).

Last but not least, some small e-shops may also offer you the same.

Last time I ordered on Amazon.fr (and also Amazon.com), for items sold by Amazon, they took off the French VAT and "pre-charged" some import taxes. That way you know how high they are, and have nothing to pay when you receive the packet. If they charged you too much they will issue you a refund of the difference.

Fnac.fr also delivers from Switzerland, taking off French VAT (which is up to 21% so that's a big deal).

Last but not least, some small e-shops may also offer you the same.

Romaric D, Aug 3, 2015 @ 09:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Galaxus hasn't been mentioned...

Galaxus hasn't been mentioned...

Casuistik, Aug 3, 2015 @ 09:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

Hello, you can also have it shipped to neighbouring France postoffice, "poste restante" with your name and they will keep it for you until you retrieve it with your ID (for up to a month I believe)

Hello, you can also have it shipped to neighbouring France postoffice, "poste restante" with your name and they will keep it for you until you retrieve it with your ID (for up to a month I believe)

hay_, Aug 3, 2015 @ 09:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Aug 3, 15 09:42

missdaisy (post n° 4) says it's up to 15 days.

Casuistik, Aug 3, 2015 @ 09:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Aug 3, 15 09:51

Indeed, 15 days:

https://www.laposte.fr/particulier/produits/article/recevoir-ses-courriers-et-colis-dans-le-bureau-de-poste-de-son-choix

for those who speak French.

Indeed, 15 days:

https://www.laposte.fr/particulier/produits/article/recevoir-ses-courriers-et-colis-dans-le-bureau-de-poste-de-son-choix

for those who speak French.

hay_, Aug 3, 2015 @ 10:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

I realize that this reply may come a little late, but...

For anything else than books, forget Amazon, they're not interested to the Swiss market!

You may use www.digitec.ch or www.microspot.ch for electronics, www.galaxus.ch for general store stuff, www.leshop.ch for groceries... if ordered before midnight it's at your door the next evening around 7!

www.toppreise.ch is a good resource too...

For anything else than books, forget Amazon, they're not interested to the Swiss market!

You may use www.digitec.ch or www.microspot.ch for electronics, www.galaxus.ch for general store stuff, www.leshop.ch for groceries... if ordered before midnight it's at your door the next evening around 7!

Philippe R, Apr 28, 2017 @ 17:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

Apr 28, 17 17:33

True. 

Any advice for books?

True. 

Any advice for books?

Nir Ofek, Apr 28, 2017 @ 17:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

Try bookdepository.com - it's own by Amazon and it has free delivery.

Try bookdepository.com - it's own by Amazon and it has free delivery.

Alex S, Apr 28, 2017 @ 19:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

Book Depository - Free delivery

Book Depository - Free delivery

Casuistik, Apr 28, 2017 @ 19:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
38 Replies | 116069 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form