Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Site improvement ideas & Bug reports > member search not working?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
member search not working?

I am just searching for a particular member, whose Glocals name I know exactly, and I have double checked by looking at a forum post this member made, but when I put the name in the search box I get nothing. Maybe you have spent too much time partying lately, and neglected this high cost, premium siteLaughing

The text you are quoting:

I am just searching for a particular member, whose Glocals name I know exactly, and I have double checked by looking at a forum post this member made, but when I put the name in the search box I get nothing. Maybe you have spent too much time partying lately, and neglected this high cost, premium siteLaughing

brucelawsonDec 17, 2009 @ 00:09
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1571 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: member search not working?
Post 1

I just searched for 4 people using exact names: people who are online and not, people in my friends network and not and also searched for a partial name ("david"). In the cases of an exact name, I got one response each time. In the case of a partial name, I got a sizeable list of all the Davids on the site.

Seems to work fine.

Now, what *was* concerning was that it took at least 15 seconds to load the page with this forum thread....with only the original posting!

I just searched for 4 people using exact names: people who are online and not, people in my friends network and not and also searched for a partial name ("david"). In the cases of an exact name, I got one response each time. In the case of a partial name, I got a sizeable list of all the Davids on the site.

Seems to work fine.

Now, what *was* concerning was that it took at least 15 seconds to load the page with this forum thread....with only the original posting!

Zonker, Dec 17, 2009 @ 10:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Bruce, just in case....

Did you click, after entering the name you look for, on all instead of   on line....? just below the box where you enter the name ...

:=)

Bruce, just in case....

Did you click, after entering the name you look for, on all instead of   on line....? just below the box where you enter the name ...

:=)

Chris CHRIS, Dec 18, 2009 @ 10:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Bruce, the search function of members is by city. So either you need to select the correct city where the person is registered (i.e. I am in Lausanne so if you are in Geneva and you seach for me, I will not show up).

One way to get around this is to select "all cities" before you do the search. That should give you the whole data base.

Give that a try.

Bruce, the search function of members is by city. So either you need to select the correct city where the person is registered (i.e. I am in Lausanne so if you are in Geneva and you seach for me, I will not show up).

One way to get around this is to select "all cities" before you do the search. That should give you the whole data base.

Give that a try.

Verbier, Dec 18, 2009 @ 10:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I am sad to see that on the new site one cannot search members personal interest by adding a keyword. If you are trying to find others with similar interests, for example book lovers to start a book club it's impossible. I really miss it, put it back please.

Or does anyone know how to do that on the new site?

I am sad to see that on the new site one cannot search members personal interest by adding a keyword. If you are trying to find others with similar interests, for example book lovers to start a book club it's impossible. I really miss it, put it back please.

hellsbells, Jan 16, 2010 @ 13:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

You might want to send a note to SiteAdmin (Oded) to ask if he could do a quick search of the database for your with the keywords you mentioned. He could then send you the list of members.

Or, you could just post an activity and see what happens.

You might want to send a note to SiteAdmin (Oded) to ask if he could do a quick search of the database for your with the keywords you mentioned. He could then send you the list of members.

Or, you could just post an activity and see what happens.

Verbier, Jan 16, 2010 @ 13:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Right, it is not possible, like it used to be in the old beautiful and never forgotten site, to perform a simple member search by keyword. The search by generic interest category, is zero useful. I've found so many football or tennis or badminton buddies that way, that I barely remember. Good old times... I've stopped playing those sports ever since new site came up, no kidding. This 'new' website is really a downgrade. All we can do is to send notes to the site admin.

Right, it is not possible, like it used to be in the old beautiful and never forgotten site, to perform a simple member search by keyword. The search by generic interest category, is zero useful. I've found so many football or tennis or badminton buddies that way, that I barely remember. Good old times... I've stopped playing those sports ever since new site came up, no kidding. This 'new' website is really a downgrade. All we can do is to send notes to the site admin.

cgpic, Jan 26, 2010 @ 23:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Jan 16, 10 13:37

Hi Hellsbells and thanks for the feedback.

We will add the abiltiy to search by keyword very soon.

Any other search criteria you're missing?

Thanks

Oded

Hi Hellsbells and thanks for the feedback.

We will add the abiltiy to search by keyword very soon.

Any other search criteria you're missing?

Thanks

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Jan 27, 2010 @ 18:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Forward, backward, better, worse.

When I first joined glocals a little more than a year ago, I had many issues with the site, both technical and content. I told the admins and they wrote back - sometimes saying "yeah, we're working on it", sometimes saying "here's what you're looking for" and sometimes saying, "we disagree."

When the site was first released, yes, I was not a big fan, but unless we band together and create a different site that does the same thing as glocals, I think it's not very useful to give generic negative feedback, like "it's a downgrade" or "slower" or "i liked the other layout."

The admins, for better or for worse, are going in this direction. The best we can do is continue to give constructive feedback. I've found that Nir and Oded are more than accommodating. They listen and prioritize and make improvements.

Forward, backward, better, worse.

When I first joined glocals a little more than a year ago, I had many issues with the site, both technical and content. I told the admins and they wrote back - sometimes saying "yeah, we're working on it", sometimes saying "here's what you're looking for" and sometimes saying, "we disagree."

When the site was first released, yes, I was not a big fan, but unless we band together and create a different site that does the same thing as glocals, I think it's not very useful to give generic negative feedback, like "it's a downgrade" or "slower" or "i liked the other layout."

The admins, for better or for worse, are going in this direction. The best we can do is continue to give constructive feedback. I've found that Nir and Oded are more than accommodating. They listen and prioritize and make improvements.

Zonker, Jan 27, 2010 @ 22:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I do not necessarily agree that the new site is a downgrade at all, growing pains - definitely yes. The site has always been slow- deal with it. I believe wholeheartedly in feedback, constructive criticism is what the admins wanted and most likely expected. Others mentioned they miss the ability to use a keyword search and glocals have answered that they will soon be adding a keyword search. And even asked if there were any other search criteria missing. Way to go!

So you see all this ranting can be for a positive good.

I do not necessarily agree that the new site is a downgrade at all, growing pains - definitely yes. The site has always been slow- deal with it. I believe wholeheartedly in feedback, constructive criticism is what the admins wanted and most likely expected. Others mentioned they miss the ability to use a keyword search and glocals have answered that they will soon be adding a keyword search. And even asked if there were any other search criteria missing. Way to go!

So you see all this ranting can be for a positive good.

hellsbells, Jan 29, 2010 @ 13:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1571 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form