Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > 400 GoL non-active profiles deleted today

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
400 GoL non-active profiles deleted today
In line with our efforts to keep the number of members 'real' (and to buy more time for us to organise the 10,000 party!), we deleted 400 non-active profiles today.

In the past 6 months we deleted nearly 5000 non-active members.

Nir
The text you are quoting:
In line with our efforts to keep the number of members 'real' (and to buy more time for us to organise the 10,000 party!), we deleted 400 non-active profiles today.

In the past 6 months we deleted nearly 5000 non-active members.

Nir

Nir OfekMay 9, 2007 @ 00:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

22 Replies | 2355 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: 400 GoL non-active profiles deleted today
Post 1
I'm doing the same - but on a much smaller scale! ;-D
...1 'in / 1 'out'...

Active people make the GoL-world go round! ...Well done guys! :-) J.
I'm doing the same - but on a much smaller scale! ;-D
...1 'in / 1 'out'...

Active people make the GoL-world go round! ...Well done guys! :-) J.
JulianT, May 9, 2007 @ 07:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
People who never answer to anything at all (AT ALL) since goodness-knows-when ...and those who never come along to anything anymore either... and everyone knows that I give people loads of opportunities to actively get out there! ;-D

No complaints so far! ;-) J.
People who never answer to anything at all (AT ALL) since goodness-knows-when ...and those who never come along to anything anymore either... and everyone knows that I give people loads of opportunities to actively get out there! ;-D

No complaints so far! ;-) J.
JulianT, May 9, 2007 @ 12:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
...but I've invited my 100 friends for a private party, and most of them have answered back. Even some very long time (6 months - more than a year) no see ones will come.

We might also fear sometimes that quiet ones don't care. But I've asked them all some time ago to let me know if they wanted to be removed from my mailing list. Most replies sounded like this one: "Keep sending me your group mails though. I'm happy to receive them and, one of these days, may even have some time to join an activity."

As it doesn't cost me anything to keep them on my friendlist, and as they seem to appreciat it, why should I remove them ?

But some people haven't read yet emails I sent out 2 months ago... I'm wondering if those ones make any sense.
...but I've invited my 100 friends for a private party, and most of them have answered back. Even some very long time (6 months - more than a year) no see ones will come.

We might also fear sometimes that quiet ones don't care. But I've asked them all some time ago to let me know if they wanted to be removed from my mailing list. Most replies sounded like this one: "Keep sending me your group mails though. I'm happy to receive them and, one of these days, may even have some time to join an activity."

As it doesn't cost me anything to keep them on my friendlist, and as they seem to appreciat it, why should I remove them ?

But some people haven't read yet emails I sent out 2 months ago... I'm wondering if those ones make any sense.
Hobbes, May 9, 2007 @ 14:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
keeps being pushed back. let's face it, we'll never get there with you deleting people all the time! ;)

but honestly, keep up the good work!
keeps being pushed back. let's face it, we'll never get there with you deleting people all the time! ;)

but honestly, keep up the good work!
Minda, May 9, 2007 @ 15:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I dont't think deleting the profiles is a good idea, as many people who leave Geneva but either come later or continue to communicate with their contacts.

There should be an option in the member profile configuration to specify that "I am leaving Geneva for a while- Status Away". So then the administrators could use this information to filter active members.

But for those members who do not update their profiles when they leave the Geneva, after a grace period ( 6 months is two much) they status should be set status "AWAY".
I dont't think deleting the profiles is a good idea, as many people who leave Geneva but either come later or continue to communicate with their contacts.

There should be an option in the member profile configuration to specify that "I am leaving Geneva for a while- Status Away". So then the administrators could use this information to filter active members.

But for those members who do not update their profiles when they leave the Geneva, after a grace period ( 6 months is two much) they status should be set status "AWAY".
hyeomer, May 9, 2007 @ 16:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
if people leave GVA for a little while, they're more than capable of keeping their profile alive by simply login in once in a while...
if people leave GVA for a little while, they're more than capable of keeping their profile alive by simply login in once in a while...
Minda, May 9, 2007 @ 16:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
...Furthermore, if people are leaving for good, then they should 'keep in touch' with their friends via normal email (which logically they should have anyway, right?) ...and one doesn't have to be a member to check out what's going on in and around the various cities - try it without logging on, you'll see, it works)...

This place is / should be only for those who have their finger firmly on the pulse... :-) ...it's all about 'server space' etc. Cheers! :-) J.
...Furthermore, if people are leaving for good, then they should 'keep in touch' with their friends via normal email (which logically they should have anyway, right?) ...and one doesn't have to be a member to check out what's going on in and around the various cities - try it without logging on, you'll see, it works)...

This place is / should be only for those who have their finger firmly on the pulse... :-) ...it's all about 'server space' etc. Cheers! :-) J.
JulianT, May 9, 2007 @ 16:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
I agree with this approach too. There's no value added to GOL with non-active members; it only takes a minute to stay connected if away from time to time; and those leaving can find other ways of keeping in touch as this really isn't a main goal of the network as I have come to know it. So - keep it up Nir, delete, delete, delete ...
I agree with this approach too. There's no value added to GOL with non-active members; it only takes a minute to stay connected if away from time to time; and those leaving can find other ways of keeping in touch as this really isn't a main goal of the network as I have come to know it. So - keep it up Nir, delete, delete, delete ...
lovethiscity, May 9, 2007 @ 19:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Here s the idea: Ask an optional 20CHF to the new members.
That s reasonable and should help developing the site and make greater parties.

Guillaume
Here s the idea: Ask an optional 20CHF to the new members.
That s reasonable and should help developing the site and make greater parties.

Guillaume

GuillaumeTel, May 9, 2007 @ 21:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
What do you mean by non-active members Nir? Because, among my friends, I have some who never answer and some who are too "punchy". Should I make them get out? Or, those who have no answer from me, will say one day, "She is not an active member, let's show her where is the door". By the way, if I sign up for an activity and I am not invited nor even answered, kind of "Sorry, we are full", what should I do?
What do you mean by non-active members Nir? Because, among my friends, I have some who never answer and some who are too "punchy". Should I make them get out? Or, those who have no answer from me, will say one day, "She is not an active member, let's show her where is the door". By the way, if I sign up for an activity and I am not invited nor even answered, kind of "Sorry, we are full", what should I do?
careful, May 9, 2007 @ 23:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
...What Tinkie and I are slowly doing ...and what Hobbes is contemplating upon - but he doesn't really want to destroy his lovely new 'round number' just yet ;-D has NOTHING to do with GoL's 'active/non-active' policy! :-o

So there's no need for you to get annoyed with GoL's 'Powers to Be'... :-)

I'll explain... You've connected recently, right? ...Right! ...So you are an 'active profile'. Whether you attend some activity / post smthg in a forum or not, has nothing to do with the other category of 'active/non-active members' - who are individuals in people's network. 'Keeping it real' involves scaling it down, but there's completely different criteria involved (GoL website/perso network).

Of course, if one is in the former then logically they are also in the latter - so 'all the best' to them! ;-D J.
...What Tinkie and I are slowly doing ...and what Hobbes is contemplating upon - but he doesn't really want to destroy his lovely new 'round number' just yet ;-D has NOTHING to do with GoL's 'active/non-active' policy! :-o

So there's no need for you to get annoyed with GoL's 'Powers to Be'... :-)

I'll explain... You've connected recently, right? ...Right! ...So you are an 'active profile'. Whether you attend some activity / post smthg in a forum or not, has nothing to do with the other category of 'active/non-active members' - who are individuals in people's network. 'Keeping it real' involves scaling it down, but there's completely different criteria involved (GoL website/perso network).

Of course, if one is in the former then logically they are also in the latter - so 'all the best' to them! ;-D J.
JulianT, May 10, 2007 @ 01:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
...been away G! :-)

Or were you referring to being back in the real (& virtual) world, as opposed to being buried deep down at the 'back and beyond' in the wonderful world of scientific academia? ;-D J
...been away G! :-)

Or were you referring to being back in the real (& virtual) world, as opposed to being buried deep down at the 'back and beyond' in the wonderful world of scientific academia? ;-D J
JulianT, May 10, 2007 @ 01:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
True...(-: you caught us there...(-: (nt)
True...(-: you caught us there...(-: (nt)
Nir Ofek, May 10, 2007 @ 12:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
welcoem back Mr scientist!

we send 2 alert emails to all those about to be deleted, and then only progress with deleting those who still remain in active.
welcoem back Mr scientist!

we send 2 alert emails to all those about to be deleted, and then only progress with deleting those who still remain in active.

Nir Ofek, May 10, 2007 @ 12:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
I am not suggesting anyone delets from his network his/her non active friends. Your friends and how to manage them is purely your own business.

However, amongst all 10000 GoL members, there are some which are not active, and which we regularly delete to keep the number of members 'real'. We define non active as:
- joined, but have not activated their account or completed their profile in past 3 months
- have not logged in in the past 6 months.

Before deleting members we send them 2 Email alerts, asking them to log in if they want to maintain their account.

What think?

Nir
I am not suggesting anyone delets from his network his/her non active friends. Your friends and how to manage them is purely your own business.

However, amongst all 10000 GoL members, there are some which are not active, and which we regularly delete to keep the number of members 'real'. We define non active as:
- joined, but have not activated their account or completed their profile in past 3 months
- have not logged in in the past 6 months.

Before deleting members we send them 2 Email alerts, asking them to log in if they want to maintain their account.

What think?

Nir

Nir Ofek, May 10, 2007 @ 12:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
yep yep yep, all good! (nt)
yep yep yep, all good! (nt)
Minda, May 10, 2007 @ 18:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
Thanks Nir. I am informed now, ouf. Julian, I didn't understand your quiz. Please be more clear next time (suggestion). The only thing I that got from your posting is that the members deleting process has nothing to do with the power politics of GOL.
Thanks Nir. I am informed now, ouf. Julian, I didn't understand your quiz. Please be more clear next time (suggestion). The only thing I that got from your posting is that the members deleting process has nothing to do with the power politics of GOL.
careful, May 11, 2007 @ 00:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
...ur energy and ur initietives always give me a good feeling!
U r a special BEFRIEND 2 me and even if I don't always reply 2 u...at least I wish u know about the good time I always have when I read ur posts!
BENOEXCUSE :)
...ur energy and ur initietives always give me a good feeling!
U r a special BEFRIEND 2 me and even if I don't always reply 2 u...at least I wish u know about the good time I always have when I read ur posts!
BENOEXCUSE :)
BEMAD, May 14, 2007 @ 22:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
22 Replies | 2355 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form