Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > And the winner is...

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
And the winner is...
Hello again folks

Thanks alot to the 123 people who voted on the last GoL name survey (see below thread), and to everyone who commented and suggested other names.

We really want to get moving with the new name, so we are closing the poll now.

Right now, the results are nearly 50/50 between Glocals.com and Golocal.org

So with these results, the previous results from our surveys (with 900 replies), and the fact we prefer a .com ending to a .org ending, we'll go with Glocals.com

Additionally, some very cool names have been suggested, but none of them fulfills the requirements of being international (.com) and available.

It's gonna be the same friendly community, but with a new name.

Comments to this thread are welcome, and we will be sending you some more info later this week.

Thanks alot and have a great week.

The GoL Gang

The text you are quoting:
Hello again folks

Thanks alot to the 123 people who voted on the last GoL name survey (see below thread), and to everyone who commented and suggested other names.

We really want to get moving with the new name, so we are closing the poll now.

Right now, the results are nearly 50/50 between Glocals.com and Golocal.org

So with these results, the previous results from our surveys (with 900 replies), and the fact we prefer a .com ending to a .org ending, we'll go with Glocals.com

Additionally, some very cool names have been suggested, but none of them fulfills the requirements of being international (.com) and available.

It's gonna be the same friendly community, but with a new name.

Comments to this thread are welcome, and we will be sending you some more info later this week.

Thanks alot and have a great week.

The GoL Gang

SiteAdmin OdedJul 9, 2007 @ 17:14
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

37 Replies | 3681 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: And the winner is...
Post 1
still too late??
i know, my last attempt in swaying your decision! (^e^)
still too late??
i know, my last attempt in swaying your decision! (^e^)
YouMeCo, Jul 10, 2007 @ 00:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Hey Sher

I understand that you don't like Glocals, or Golocal, or any other name that is not GenevaOnline for that matter.

Im pretty happy about that, cause it means you really care about the community and feel conected to it and to the name you know it by.

Since you understand that we need to change the name, I won't go into the reasons again.

We have been debating the new name thing for a few motnhs now, and its a pretty difficult issue.

We knew that some people would be against any name change, some would not care, and that there is no way we would ever find a name that everyone likes.

We asked people for ideas, put the names up for votes several times, and even after Glocals.com won, we were still open to new ideas, and we still went to the trouble of contacting the owners of names that were suggested to see if we could buy them.

So, to say that we decided on Glocals and then "faked" all of the subsequent discussions and votes is just wrong, and pretty insulting too.

As you mentioned Sher, only 120 people voted on the names, and even those 120 people could not reach anything close to an agreement.

Changing a name for an existing community is always a hard thing.

Its up to you whether you want to help the new name succeed, or do what you can to make sure it doesn't.

Hopefully, most of our members will understand why we are doing this, and will also understand that the name is not as important as the content and the people.

Again Sher, I respect your opinion and I understand it 100%.

I just hope that despite your reservations, you will get behind the new name, and keep doing what you do to make the community a success.

Face it Sher, you are now a Glocal, and we will do what we can to make sure you are a happy Glocal.

Oded
Hey Sher

I understand that you don't like Glocals, or Golocal, or any other name that is not GenevaOnline for that matter.

Im pretty happy about that, cause it means you really care about the community and feel conected to it and to the name you know it by.

Since you understand that we need to change the name, I won't go into the reasons again.

We have been debating the new name thing for a few motnhs now, and its a pretty difficult issue.

We knew that some people would be against any name change, some would not care, and that there is no way we would ever find a name that everyone likes.

We asked people for ideas, put the names up for votes several times, and even after Glocals.com won, we were still open to new ideas, and we still went to the trouble of contacting the owners of names that were suggested to see if we could buy them.

So, to say that we decided on Glocals and then "faked" all of the subsequent discussions and votes is just wrong, and pretty insulting too.

As you mentioned Sher, only 120 people voted on the names, and even those 120 people could not reach anything close to an agreement.

Changing a name for an existing community is always a hard thing.

Its up to you whether you want to help the new name succeed, or do what you can to make sure it doesn't.

Hopefully, most of our members will understand why we are doing this, and will also understand that the name is not as important as the content and the people.

Again Sher, I respect your opinion and I understand it 100%.

I just hope that despite your reservations, you will get behind the new name, and keep doing what you do to make the community a success.

Face it Sher, you are now a Glocal, and we will do what we can to make sure you are a happy Glocal.

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Jul 10, 2007 @ 14:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
We are with you whatever you do!
Just pleeease, keep www.genevaonline.ch and automatically redirect from it to glocal... so nobody will get lost in the process! :)
Ciao belli
Stef
We are with you whatever you do!
Just pleeease, keep www.genevaonline.ch and automatically redirect from it to glocal... so nobody will get lost in the process! :)
Ciao belli
Stef
Stef__Granny, Jul 10, 2007 @ 14:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I still believe that glocals sounds like a group of "glauques" in french... :(

Most of Suisse Romande still speaks French... This will certainly appear in day-to-day jokes or in the press.
I still believe that glocals sounds like a group of "glauques" in french... :(

Most of Suisse Romande still speaks French... This will certainly appear in day-to-day jokes or in the press.
TomLuck, Jul 10, 2007 @ 18:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Actually, what worried me was seeing the ".com" extension. That basically implies that it is a company. Maybe I'm the only one not aware of the plans, but does this mean it's going to turn into a money making outfit? I fear that's going to give it the appearance of being a little less friendly and welcoming, or perhaps just make it seem like trying to be exclusive.

I understand that a lot of work goes into mantaing the website and people don't stop asking for more features and it's a pain ironing out bugs and stuff... and it can't be easy holding on to 1.45 full time jobs... but I can't help feeling that something will get lost.

Like I said I have no idea whether that is the intention, but that was the thing that popped into my head when I saw .com... wonder if anyone else thought the same thing and what their feeling about it was.
Actually, what worried me was seeing the ".com" extension. That basically implies that it is a company. Maybe I'm the only one not aware of the plans, but does this mean it's going to turn into a money making outfit? I fear that's going to give it the appearance of being a little less friendly and welcoming, or perhaps just make it seem like trying to be exclusive.

I understand that a lot of work goes into mantaing the website and people don't stop asking for more features and it's a pain ironing out bugs and stuff... and it can't be easy holding on to 1.45 full time jobs... but I can't help feeling that something will get lost.

Like I said I have no idea whether that is the intention, but that was the thing that popped into my head when I saw .com... wonder if anyone else thought the same thing and what their feeling about it was.
shadow69, Jul 10, 2007 @ 19:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Yo Shadow bro,

Thanks.

GoL is a legal company since March07, as announced to all members (via this forum) on March07 (scroll down to see the actual forum post, detailing why we registered it as a company).

Back to the .com ending debate: whether we like it or not, the .com ending is the most popular one on the web, and the one most people look for first. Hence our desire for a .com ending.

As a side comment, the legal structure has nothing to do with the right to use a .com ending...

Thanks mate, Nir

---------------

Posted on GoL's 'news from site admin' on March 2007:

2 weeks ago we finally registered GoL as an official Geneva based company (SARL), called (surprise surprise) GenevaOnline.

Until now GoL had no legal structure; it was just a bunch of people doing stuff. As it's becoming so big and so active, we decided we need a structure for it. Here's why:

1. To limit our (our = Oded & Nir, the founders) personal responsibility in case something goes wrong.

2. To ensure everything we do is 100% legal and transperant.

The fact we now have a structure in place does not change anything on the community, except on paper.

Having said the above, we're still not sure how to finance GoL longer term. We have advertising revenues, but the monthly costs are higher than the revenues. But we'll crack it (we hope...).

Nir
Yo Shadow bro,

Thanks.

GoL is a legal company since March07, as announced to all members (via this forum) on March07 (scroll down to see the actual forum post, detailing why we registered it as a company).

Back to the .com ending debate: whether we like it or not, the .com ending is the most popular one on the web, and the one most people look for first. Hence our desire for a .com ending.

As a side comment, the legal structure has nothing to do with the right to use a .com ending...

Thanks mate, Nir

---------------

Posted on GoL's 'news from site admin' on March 2007:

2 weeks ago we finally registered GoL as an official Geneva based company (SARL), called (surprise surprise) GenevaOnline.

Until now GoL had no legal structure; it was just a bunch of people doing stuff. As it's becoming so big and so active, we decided we need a structure for it. Here's why:

1. To limit our (our = Oded & Nir, the founders) personal responsibility in case something goes wrong.

2. To ensure everything we do is 100% legal and transperant.

The fact we now have a structure in place does not change anything on the community, except on paper.

Having said the above, we're still not sure how to finance GoL longer term. We have advertising revenues, but the monthly costs are higher than the revenues. But we'll crack it (we hope...).

Nir
Nir Ofek, Jul 10, 2007 @ 19:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
what does glauques mean in french? (nt)
what does glauques mean in french? (nt)
Nir Ofek, Jul 10, 2007 @ 19:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Nir,
Thanks for the reply. I missed the posting from March.
I understand the problem about the running costs, and don't know who's paying for it at the moment. But I do agree that a solution needs to be found. Just don't know what it could be. I guess it's time to put that thinking cap on.

Cheers,
S.
Nir,
Thanks for the reply. I missed the posting from March.
I understand the problem about the running costs, and don't know who's paying for it at the moment. But I do agree that a solution needs to be found. Just don't know what it could be. I guess it's time to put that thinking cap on.

Cheers,
S.
shadow69, Jul 11, 2007 @ 15:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
www.GOL.ch is available. Why not using it and calling it "GoLocal" for whoever wishes ?
www.GOL.ch is available. Why not using it and calling it "GoLocal" for whoever wishes ?
Hobbes, Jul 11, 2007 @ 15:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
All I'm saying is that, even if you rename the site, you should keep www.GenevaOnline.ch active for people connecting from Geneva, and mybe add www.GOL.ch for other swiss, and keep www.Glocals.com for other countries. It would be at the same time general and local, the all concept being respected. Is it clear ?
All I'm saying is that, even if you rename the site, you should keep www.GenevaOnline.ch active for people connecting from Geneva, and mybe add www.GOL.ch for other swiss, and keep www.Glocals.com for other countries. It would be at the same time general and local, the all concept being respected. Is it clear ?
Hobbes, Jul 11, 2007 @ 15:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
anyone who types www.genevaonline.ch will still get to the same site, and will see both the new name and the GoL name (via a smaller flag saying this is 'the new genevaonline'.

thanks mate.
anyone who types www.genevaonline.ch will still get to the same site, and will see both the new name and the GoL name (via a smaller flag saying this is 'the new genevaonline'.

thanks mate.

Nir Ofek, Jul 11, 2007 @ 15:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
One solution that has been tried with some success in other places is to sell lots of very cheap stocks of GoL. Maybe a stupid idea, but raises cash and gets the community more involved. I heard that happen in a Paris local Library that was going bust and it worked.
One solution that has been tried with some success in other places is to sell lots of very cheap stocks of GoL. Maybe a stupid idea, but raises cash and gets the community more involved. I heard that happen in a Paris local Library that was going bust and it worked.
munkypint, Jul 11, 2007 @ 20:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
We are all GoLers and you would have a nice story to tell to the new members.....please, say yes....:-)
We are all GoLers and you would have a nice story to tell to the new members.....please, say yes....:-)
Iolly, Jul 11, 2007 @ 21:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
Yessssss!!!!!!...
Yessssss!!!!!!...
Carol A, Jul 11, 2007 @ 21:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
Its already taken (nt)
Its already taken (nt)
SiteAdmin Oded, Jul 11, 2007 @ 21:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
it needs to be done and we can't keep on debating the name forever. it's taken long enough to get this far, there will always be someone to disagree or have a new idea. just do it and be done with it. ;)
it needs to be done and we can't keep on debating the name forever. it's taken long enough to get this far, there will always be someone to disagree or have a new idea. just do it and be done with it. ;)
Minda, Jul 11, 2007 @ 21:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
OMG!!! www.glocals.com is already up and running!!!?!!! checkitout!
OMG!!! www.glocals.com is already up and running!!!?!!! checkitout!
YouMeCo, Jul 11, 2007 @ 23:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
But it's just a link transfert for the moment no?...
But it's just a link transfert for the moment no?...
silverwolf, Jul 12, 2007 @ 00:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19
Its just a redirect, not the real thing.

O
Its just a redirect, not the real thing.

O
SiteAdmin Oded, Jul 12, 2007 @ 00:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20
By no means implies a company , it used as an easy way for anyone to set up a website with a familiar name , I have my own and chose not to use co.uk being from the UK but everybody when trying a web address appends dot.com at the 1st attempt, even now I sometimes automatically type genevaonline.com when at a new PC (much less interesting than the dot ch version). whatever name is finally used we will all add it as a favorite and never type it again , but will always refer to ourselves as GOLers
By no means implies a company , it used as an easy way for anyone to set up a website with a familiar name , I have my own and chose not to use co.uk being from the UK but everybody when trying a web address appends dot.com at the 1st attempt, even now I sometimes automatically type genevaonline.com when at a new PC (much less interesting than the dot ch version). whatever name is finally used we will all add it as a favorite and never type it again , but will always refer to ourselves as GOLers
britabroad, Jul 12, 2007 @ 00:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21
Sorry for delayed reply, I am in Nevada/Arizona. Hot, 46oC!!!

As Bob says, in French it means dull, sinister, stupid, ghastly, sordid, lugubrious, sad... It is a bad connotation, could be a marketing mistake.

Why don't you take a short, easy word that goes in all languages, including German? And, VERY IMPORTANT: don't take a name without having the .com. I personally just sold a .com name for quite some money because the company didn't take it at the beginning...

I have quite some experience in web names and will be glad to help you if you still need it.

Cu :o)
Sorry for delayed reply, I am in Nevada/Arizona. Hot, 46oC!!!

As Bob says, in French it means dull, sinister, stupid, ghastly, sordid, lugubrious, sad... It is a bad connotation, could be a marketing mistake.

Why don't you take a short, easy word that goes in all languages, including German? And, VERY IMPORTANT: don't take a name without having the .com. I personally just sold a .com name for quite some money because the company didn't take it at the beginning...

I have quite some experience in web names and will be glad to help you if you still need it.

Cu :o)
TomLuck, Jul 12, 2007 @ 02:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22
Having several names would be a bit confusing on the home page and ... in peoples mind. Don't you think Xav?
Having several names would be a bit confusing on the home page and ... in peoples mind. Don't you think Xav?
TomLuck, Jul 12, 2007 @ 02:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23
My company owns something like 12 different URLs all refering to the same website, inlcuding URLs of companies we bought, products we sell, etc. Some companies even include most probable mistakes such as gooogle.com, goolge.com, etc.
My company owns something like 12 different URLs all refering to the same website, inlcuding URLs of companies we bought, products we sell, etc. Some companies even include most probable mistakes such as gooogle.com, goolge.com, etc.
Hobbes, Jul 12, 2007 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24
sorry for coming in late on this one but given that there are new suggestions being made...

sorry for coming in late on this one but given that there are new suggestions being made...

epale, Jul 12, 2007 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25
Out of curiosity I googled the word "Glocal" and here are two hits I came across:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glocalisation

http://www.glocalforum.org/?id=197&id_p=193&lng=en

So I have learned a new concept thanks to this discussion!
Out of curiosity I googled the word "Glocal" and here are two hits I came across:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glocalisation

http://www.glocalforum.org/?id=197&id_p=193&lng=en

So I have learned a new concept thanks to this discussion!
epale, Jul 12, 2007 @ 19:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26
Our aims, and definition of 'glocals' are a a bit more modest, but its nice to see that great minds think somewhat alike :-)

Thanks for the links glocal...

Oded
Our aims, and definition of 'glocals' are a a bit more modest, but its nice to see that great minds think somewhat alike :-)

Thanks for the links glocal...

Oded
SiteAdmin Oded, Jul 12, 2007 @ 20:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27
While Glocals.com is not the ideal sounding name, I feel it is the best for the time being.

After all, if the name was for the convenience of veterans and existing members - we would not need to change genevaonline.ch

The change has a purpose. The purpose is to attract new members in other cities and towns. In Switzerland. And beyond.

The current name limits the potential of GoL idea. Newbie from Zurich confuse the name genevaonline to mean "something to do with geneva."

It would be nice to attract newbies and future veterans from other cities. The diversity and their differing inputs will enrich the lives of all members.

GoL should expand. Imagine when someone relocating from Geneva could find a familiar community in Zurich or Vancouver or Vienna or Tokyo - finding colleagues/friends and help when a member seeks help most (early stages of relocation, moving and learning about a community, outdoor activities, etc.).

A website name that ends with .org or others is risky. It may or may not serve the goal we have: make it easy for the prospective member to remember the address and try this community.

I wonder if this website is positioning itself for english speaking community, if it really matters that glocals.com could sound like glucose or glock or something else. After all, there are many words in english which sound like or are slangs in other languages. For example, "mist" in english means something quite different than "mist" is german. There are hundreds of such examples.

I agree that the word search should not stop. If a better name is suggested or found, GoL should consider adopting it. Companies change names, logo etc.

For now, though, the more important task is to go with a .com name and build the vision, and welcome newbies who seek us and who can enrich the lives of the existing community.
While Glocals.com is not the ideal sounding name, I feel it is the best for the time being.

After all, if the name was for the convenience of veterans and existing members - we would not need to change genevaonline.ch

The change has a purpose. The purpose is to attract new members in other cities and towns. In Switzerland. And beyond.

The current name limits the potential of GoL idea. Newbie from Zurich confuse the name genevaonline to mean "something to do with geneva."

It would be nice to attract newbies and future veterans from other cities. The diversity and their differing inputs will enrich the lives of all members.

GoL should expand. Imagine when someone relocating from Geneva could find a familiar community in Zurich or Vancouver or Vienna or Tokyo - finding colleagues/friends and help when a member seeks help most (early stages of relocation, moving and learning about a community, outdoor activities, etc.).

A website name that ends with .org or others is risky. It may or may not serve the goal we have: make it easy for the prospective member to remember the address and try this community.

I wonder if this website is positioning itself for english speaking community, if it really matters that glocals.com could sound like glucose or glock or something else. After all, there are many words in english which sound like or are slangs in other languages. For example, "mist" in english means something quite different than "mist" is german. There are hundreds of such examples.

I agree that the word search should not stop. If a better name is suggested or found, GoL should consider adopting it. Companies change names, logo etc.

For now, though, the more important task is to go with a .com name and build the vision, and welcome newbies who seek us and who can enrich the lives of the existing community.
colorado, Jul 13, 2007 @ 11:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28
Let's go directly to Globelocals.org
Let's go directly to Globelocals.org
careful, Jul 14, 2007 @ 12:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29
the way to fund GoL is just one problem we have, and seeing if members might agree to contribute is one way indeed.

However, we still want to get a new site name that can make it easier for people in other cities to join...
the way to fund GoL is just one problem we have, and seeing if members might agree to contribute is one way indeed.

However, we still want to get a new site name that can make it easier for people in other cities to join...

Nir Ofek, Jul 14, 2007 @ 12:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

If the name has to have GOL in it, try the link

http://wordnavigator.com/contains-by-length/gol/

Suggests names such as GOLland, GOLdy, GiGOLo, ArGOL, GOLem, Goldfish....

Then, one could try alphanumerics: 2GOL, 4GOL

Others: LOGGOL, YesGOL, ViGOL, FirstGOL, GOList, VillaGOL (a play on Villaggio)

I prefer short names, easy to spell, easy to remember - available as .com domain.

Happy hunting.

If the name has to have GOL in it, try the link

http://wordnavigator.com/contains-by-length/gol/

Suggests names such as GOLland, GOLdy, GiGOLo, ArGOL, GOLem, Goldfish....

Then, one could try alphanumerics: 2GOL, 4GOL

Others: LOGGOL, YesGOL, ViGOL, FirstGOL, GOList, VillaGOL (a play on Villaggio)

I prefer short names, easy to spell, easy to remember - available as .com domain.

Happy hunting.
colorado, Jul 14, 2007 @ 13:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31
Where are the marketers? We need the name for the site which is already can be easily found if you type "gol" on www.google.ch. Please help us to make it appear at he first line after someone type Golocal, golers, glocals, whatever on the search.

Otherwise, what about keywords in the guts of the site "communities, geneva, lausanne, zurich, bale", continue...
Where are the marketers? We need the name for the site which is already can be easily found if you type "gol" on www.google.ch. Please help us to make it appear at he first line after someone type Golocal, golers, glocals, whatever on the search.

Otherwise, what about keywords in the guts of the site "communities, geneva, lausanne, zurich, bale", continue...
careful, Jul 14, 2007 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32
what is the difference, use them all? Right. I am not net savy so I guess I am missing why that is not possible. Why not have three or four, it really is not confussing if they all work the same. Some people see things call the middle light amber, some yellow, some even orange but they all know what it means. It would save debate just to let people see it different and get to the same place. I am sorry if that sound nuts.
what is the difference, use them all? Right. I am not net savy so I guess I am missing why that is not possible. Why not have three or four, it really is not confussing if they all work the same. Some people see things call the middle light amber, some yellow, some even orange but they all know what it means. It would save debate just to let people see it different and get to the same place. I am sorry if that sound nuts.
TonyT, Jul 15, 2007 @ 00:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33
But there can be only one name on T-shirts, stickers, etc...
But there can be only one name on T-shirts, stickers, etc...
Hobbes, Jul 16, 2007 @ 18:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34
But it actually could give you more marketting options..
But it actually could give you more marketting options..
TonyT, Jul 20, 2007 @ 18:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
37 Replies | 3681 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form