Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > City Guide Launched!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
City Guide Launched!
Howdy all,

We just launched a beta version of the newest GoL feature: City Guide.

On City Guide all members can share share info, reviews, and ratings about local venues & services: Restaurants, Doctors, Handymen, Schools...

Please let us know what you think by posting your feedback / suggestions below

Thanks,

The GenevaOnline Gang
The text you are quoting:
Howdy all,

We just launched a beta version of the newest GoL feature: City Guide.

On City Guide all members can share share info, reviews, and ratings about local venues & services: Restaurants, Doctors, Handymen, Schools...

Please let us know what you think by posting your feedback / suggestions below

Thanks,

The GenevaOnline Gang
SiteAdmin OdedJan 28, 2007 @ 16:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

18 Replies | 1914 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: City Guide Launched!
Post 1
I think this is really cool, considering I am coming from a city with something very similar. I can see a great deal of potential for the Local Reviews forum. Keep up the good work, guys.

Ern/Rasta
I think this is really cool, considering I am coming from a city with something very similar. I can see a great deal of potential for the Local Reviews forum. Keep up the good work, guys.

Ern/Rasta
Rasta, Jan 28, 2007 @ 22:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
First of all I think it is a great idea to have the reviews.
In the moment it is quite easy to find a review since there are not so many, but in the future it will be more difficult so i highly recommend to sort them alphabetically.

Keep ´em coming guys
First of all I think it is a great idea to have the reviews.
In the moment it is quite easy to find a review since there are not so many, but in the future it will be more difficult so i highly recommend to sort them alphabetically.

Keep ´em coming guys
Mister_Sark, Feb 1, 2007 @ 12:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Currently, you can sort the busineses/service providers by Newest , Recently reviewed, most reviewed, and Name (abc).
We will soon be adding an option to sort the by total rating too.
When viewing a particular busines/service provider, you can sort the reviews by new to old, old to new, highest to lowest, and lowestt o highest.

If there is something we missed, Ill be glad to add it, but I need more info.

Can you please explain what you are suggesting?

Thanks

O
Currently, you can sort the busineses/service providers by Newest , Recently reviewed, most reviewed, and Name (abc).
We will soon be adding an option to sort the by total rating too.
When viewing a particular busines/service provider, you can sort the reviews by new to old, old to new, highest to lowest, and lowestt o highest.

If there is something we missed, Ill be glad to add it, but I need more info.

Can you please explain what you are suggesting?

Thanks

O
SiteAdmin Oded, Feb 1, 2007 @ 14:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
i thought it might be a good idea to have the posts sorted alphabetic by default, so if i click on restaurants i will see them sorted without using the search functions.
i thought it might be a good idea to have the posts sorted alphabetic by default, so if i click on restaurants i will see them sorted without using the search functions.
Mister_Sark, Feb 1, 2007 @ 16:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Would you want a review that was basically very negative - ie I know something about cars and have had appaling experiences with garages in the Pays de Gex ?

Let me know

Thanks
Would you want a review that was basically very negative - ie I know something about cars and have had appaling experiences with garages in the Pays de Gex ?

Let me know

Thanks
Teabelly, Feb 5, 2007 @ 16:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Great question.

We want Good and Bad reviews, because we want our members to know where to go, and where not to go.

If you are posting a negative review, please make sure you follow some basic guidelines:
1. Dont just say - xxx sucks!!! Explain what was negative and what needs to be improved.
2. Make sure your review is based on personal experience and not on rumors.
3. Stick to the facts, and dont include any personal insults

I hate to even mention this, but if we find out that someone is using the Local Reviews to bad mouth a competitor or to settle personal scores, we will deal with the poster as harshly as the law permits.

Thanks

Oded
Great question.

We want Good and Bad reviews, because we want our members to know where to go, and where not to go.

If you are posting a negative review, please make sure you follow some basic guidelines:
1. Dont just say - xxx sucks!!! Explain what was negative and what needs to be improved.
2. Make sure your review is based on personal experience and not on rumors.
3. Stick to the facts, and dont include any personal insults

I hate to even mention this, but if we find out that someone is using the Local Reviews to bad mouth a competitor or to settle personal scores, we will deal with the poster as harshly as the law permits.

Thanks

Oded
SiteAdmin Oded, Feb 5, 2007 @ 17:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Do u really have to take off this review ? what will happen if all the restaurants ,shops etc who have bad reviews do the same... i'm a pro in bar and restaurant and know critics has always a part of reality. I'd love to know who wanted to take u on court.

it's a shame ! GOL is a very nice site, internet is the best communication,BUT the bad business will die anyway, with our
without GOL !

greg
Do u really have to take off this review ? what will happen if all the restaurants ,shops etc who have bad reviews do the same... i'm a pro in bar and restaurant and know critics has always a part of reality. I'd love to know who wanted to take u on court.

it's a shame ! GOL is a very nice site, internet is the best communication,BUT the bad business will die anyway, with our
without GOL !

greg
grego, Feb 6, 2007 @ 19:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
I think you misread our mail Grego - we mentioned that after speaking with the person who posted the review, and after we were pretty convinced the review is a genuine review based on personal experience, we left the review on.

This is the way we'll keep acting.

We'll remove reviews (negative or positive) only if we realise they are not genuine, ie posted to get even, posted by owners, etc.
I think you misread our mail Grego - we mentioned that after speaking with the person who posted the review, and after we were pretty convinced the review is a genuine review based on personal experience, we left the review on.

This is the way we'll keep acting.

We'll remove reviews (negative or positive) only if we realise they are not genuine, ie posted to get even, posted by owners, etc.

Nir Ofek, Feb 6, 2007 @ 20:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
my english has to be improved nir and u know that... about the court ? a site /forum is protect by the swiss law ?
any owner of business who doesn't like critics can attack a site on court ?
my english has to be improved nir and u know that... about the court ? a site /forum is protect by the swiss law ?
any owner of business who doesn't like critics can attack a site on court ?
grego, Feb 6, 2007 @ 20:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Dear Grego,

That's nothing new with the review system. So, if you were right, tripadvisor, expedia and many other websites would be put before a court many times a second or bankrupt by now. Anyway, the debate on the substantive part of the web is still going including at WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) and I personnally don't see where is the problem given the comment is genuine and factual.
Dear Grego,

That's nothing new with the review system. So, if you were right, tripadvisor, expedia and many other websites would be put before a court many times a second or bankrupt by now. Anyway, the debate on the substantive part of the web is still going including at WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) and I personnally don't see where is the problem given the comment is genuine and factual.
rachelgva, Feb 7, 2007 @ 16:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
and for me critics are positives !!!! forum must stay alive. the resto, shops and other business who are afraid about the internet critics must have a problem anyway.. I don't know the law about internet. I was just asking. I have been in bad reviews already
as a restaurant manager in restaurant GOL reviews but for good reason (50%/50% hi hi) and accept the critics, it help to improve....

it's a difficult job to make people having fun. too expensive. no good food. too young. no good door policy. music is ... etc etc
and for me critics are positives !!!! forum must stay alive. the resto, shops and other business who are afraid about the internet critics must have a problem anyway.. I don't know the law about internet. I was just asking. I have been in bad reviews already
as a restaurant manager in restaurant GOL reviews but for good reason (50%/50% hi hi) and accept the critics, it help to improve....

it's a difficult job to make people having fun. too expensive. no good food. too young. no good door policy. music is ... etc etc
grego, Feb 7, 2007 @ 16:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
Hi !

I think it's not always easy to distinguish between the stars on red background (who are active) and those on black background (that are inactive)

I think it may be easier for our eyes (at least for those who doesn't have a first quality computer screen) if only the "active" stars are shown.

2 stars = 2 stars displayed [Great]
2 stars = 2 stars on red background and 3 stars on black background [Not so great]
:-)

Thank you very much for all your work, guys !!
Hi !

I think it's not always easy to distinguish between the stars on red background (who are active) and those on black background (that are inactive)

I think it may be easier for our eyes (at least for those who doesn't have a first quality computer screen) if only the "active" stars are shown.

2 stars = 2 stars displayed [Great]
2 stars = 2 stars on red background and 3 stars on black background [Not so great]
:-)

Thank you very much for all your work, guys !!
Vandi, Feb 8, 2007 @ 00:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
I had no idea that it was hard to distinguish between active (red) and non-active (grey) stars on some screens.

I think the inactive stars are improtant so people realize that the number of stars (1-2-3...) are out of a possible 5, but I will look into ways of making the difference clearer.

Thanks

Oded
I had no idea that it was hard to distinguish between active (red) and non-active (grey) stars on some screens.

I think the inactive stars are improtant so people realize that the number of stars (1-2-3...) are out of a possible 5, but I will look into ways of making the difference clearer.

Thanks

Oded
SiteAdmin Oded, Feb 8, 2007 @ 11:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
is the easiest colour to see... Go up to the top of a skyscraper and look down at the car park below... the yellow cars are the easiest to spot immediately - and (a bit of Trivia) they are the least involved in accidents... :-) J.
is the easiest colour to see... Go up to the top of a skyscraper and look down at the car park below... the yellow cars are the easiest to spot immediately - and (a bit of Trivia) they are the least involved in accidents... :-) J.
JulianT, Feb 13, 2007 @ 20:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
and are the coolest cars! :-)
and are the coolest cars! :-)
joellem88, Feb 14, 2007 @ 04:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
I was just looking through some of the reviews and got a bit surprised about the use of "stars" in the reviews. To me, handing out 5 stars to a restaurant means that absolutely EVERYTHING is perfect. That is the kind of rating I would give to "The fat duck" for example. Of course I (as a restaurant owner) am happy to see people giving my resto 5 stars, but I really don't think it reflects a true rating. I know for a fact that not everything is perfect at my place or in many of the other restaurants rated here. We try with the means we have to give people the best possible experience, but we are not a Michelin restaurant, we will never be one and we do not have the money or staff to reach perfection. What I am trying to say is: Think about the PERFECT restaurant experience when you rate a resto here.
Or maybe give a few more hints to what the number of stars signify. To me 2 stars would mean: Ok, but too many flaws, 3 stars: good, but could do better, 4 stars is very good, 5 stars perfection. I don't think there is a single restaurant in Geneva that deserves 5 stars. Not even 2 Michelin star Chateauvieux.
Anyway, just a thought.
I was just looking through some of the reviews and got a bit surprised about the use of "stars" in the reviews. To me, handing out 5 stars to a restaurant means that absolutely EVERYTHING is perfect. That is the kind of rating I would give to "The fat duck" for example. Of course I (as a restaurant owner) am happy to see people giving my resto 5 stars, but I really don't think it reflects a true rating. I know for a fact that not everything is perfect at my place or in many of the other restaurants rated here. We try with the means we have to give people the best possible experience, but we are not a Michelin restaurant, we will never be one and we do not have the money or staff to reach perfection. What I am trying to say is: Think about the PERFECT restaurant experience when you rate a resto here.
Or maybe give a few more hints to what the number of stars signify. To me 2 stars would mean: Ok, but too many flaws, 3 stars: good, but could do better, 4 stars is very good, 5 stars perfection. I don't think there is a single restaurant in Geneva that deserves 5 stars. Not even 2 Michelin star Chateauvieux.
Anyway, just a thought.
Dinkel, Feb 17, 2007 @ 15:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
perhaps for restaurants there needs to be a system of stars such as service, food, and one or two other categories then all factored for a star rating.

and personally i have no problems with 5 star ratings if that's what people really feel. 5 stars is just an enthusiastic way of saying really really good. i mean, the clubs here wouldnt be 5 star compared to clubs in paris, ny or any other major city. we all know that and 'star' according to what is offered here in geneva. plus most of us haven't eaten at 'fat duck' or michelin starred restaurants. that said, their stars still wouldnt guarantee ours :)
perhaps for restaurants there needs to be a system of stars such as service, food, and one or two other categories then all factored for a star rating.

and personally i have no problems with 5 star ratings if that's what people really feel. 5 stars is just an enthusiastic way of saying really really good. i mean, the clubs here wouldnt be 5 star compared to clubs in paris, ny or any other major city. we all know that and 'star' according to what is offered here in geneva. plus most of us haven't eaten at 'fat duck' or michelin starred restaurants. that said, their stars still wouldnt guarantee ours :)
fuzzyshoe, Feb 20, 2007 @ 15:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
18 Replies | 1914 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form