Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > Earn the right to post & Email on GoL?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Earn the right to post & Email on GoL?
Note: this thread was expanded from the original discussion on 'right to post' to 'right and post & Email'.

--------------

We'd love to hear your thoghts on this:

In the 'how to fight spammers' forum discussion, member Perco suggested something real interesting: that to build community trust among members (and minimize spammers), new GoL members will have to 'earn' the right to post & Email (currently any new members can post / Email as of day 1).

To show members are serious about the community and thus get the right to post / Email, members will have to do 'X' (we're trying to find out what this X should be: posting a picture / posting an intro / coming to an event / etc).

What do you think of:
- the principle of having to show you're serious about the community before getting the right to post / Email?
- is the 'X' that will seperate those who can post, from those who can't post?

The text you are quoting:
Note: this thread was expanded from the original discussion on 'right to post' to 'right and post & Email'.

--------------

We'd love to hear your thoghts on this:

In the 'how to fight spammers' forum discussion, member Perco suggested something real interesting: that to build community trust among members (and minimize spammers), new GoL members will have to 'earn' the right to post & Email (currently any new members can post / Email as of day 1).

To show members are serious about the community and thus get the right to post / Email, members will have to do 'X' (we're trying to find out what this X should be: posting a picture / posting an intro / coming to an event / etc).

What do you think of:
- the principle of having to show you're serious about the community before getting the right to post / Email?
- is the 'X' that will seperate those who can post, from those who can't post?

Nir OfekMay 26, 2006 @ 15:27
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 1918 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Earn the right to post & Email on GoL?
Post 1
scine the SPAM comes via email and not posts ...
So .. I guess everyone should be able to post and the SiteAdmin can delete posts that are not relevat. ..spamming is more email related I guess..
Val
scine the SPAM comes via email and not posts ...
So .. I guess everyone should be able to post and the SiteAdmin can delete posts that are not relevat. ..spamming is more email related I guess..
Val
Hoiling, May 26, 2006 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I do agree with that option considering that intoducing a 'selection' process for electiong the ones that are having the right to post will create a community within a community. You'd become 'the cool one' for having been granted the right to post... Nhaaaa, not really the spirit is it?
I think indeed postings can be reviewed before being actually posted - we can work out a way so that several people would be involved in the validation process, so that Admin is not being overwhelmed.
Actually, what is the actual percentage of posting that would be considered as SPAM... haven't come across any (yet)...
I do agree with that option considering that intoducing a 'selection' process for electiong the ones that are having the right to post will create a community within a community. You'd become 'the cool one' for having been granted the right to post... Nhaaaa, not really the spirit is it?
I think indeed postings can be reviewed before being actually posted - we can work out a way so that several people would be involved in the validation process, so that Admin is not being overwhelmed.
Actually, what is the actual percentage of posting that would be considered as SPAM... haven't come across any (yet)...
Sebfont, May 26, 2006 @ 17:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Agree it seperates the members into 2 groups. But this seperationg will not be based on 'cool' and 'not cool', but based on people 'willing to put efforts into being part of the community', and people NOT willing to put such efforts...for those willing to put efforts, won't it be good to be on a community only with like minded others?

We do not know...(-:

Agree it seperates the members into 2 groups. But this seperationg will not be based on 'cool' and 'not cool', but based on people 'willing to put efforts into being part of the community', and people NOT willing to put such efforts...for those willing to put efforts, won't it be good to be on a community only with like minded others?

We do not know...(-:

Nir Ofek, May 26, 2006 @ 18:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
If the point is to avoid spam from the outside world landing our GOL mailboxes, I am pretty confident admin Oded is keeping the system closed to mail originating from the wider Internet / using the GOL server as a relay to reach us.

I assumed the problem was how to avoid spam coming from registered users. The preliminary screening process (be it showing up at an event, being referred by a couple of existing members, posting a motivation / introductory memo or whatever we can come up with while keeping the GOL spirit) would point to the individual responsibility of 'known' members.

Those of us with a fan club will just have to deal with the downside of being popular so I guess *that* type of unsolicited emails can not be avoided :)
If the point is to avoid spam from the outside world landing our GOL mailboxes, I am pretty confident admin Oded is keeping the system closed to mail originating from the wider Internet / using the GOL server as a relay to reach us.

I assumed the problem was how to avoid spam coming from registered users. The preliminary screening process (be it showing up at an event, being referred by a couple of existing members, posting a motivation / introductory memo or whatever we can come up with while keeping the GOL spirit) would point to the individual responsibility of 'known' members.

Those of us with a fan club will just have to deal with the downside of being popular so I guess *that* type of unsolicited emails can not be avoided :)
Perco, May 26, 2006 @ 22:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
If 3 people tick an email they have received from a given member as spam, or if 3 members block that person on chat, the sender account is automatically frozen, ie: blocked to post, email or chat with anyone untill SiteAdmin has considered what happened.

I can't think of a better idea than this, because all the other ones look to much autoritative and unfriendly to me. An actual friend of mine "harrassed" me with numerous emails the first hour she had registered on GOL, because she couldn't manage to use the chat on her Mac. She's more than fine, I'm telling you.
I registered to GOL only to be allowed to register to a salsa class. I didn't give a damm at the time about this community I had never heard of beforehand. So I didn't post any picture, filled any profile or posted any presentation message. Then, given the opportunity to see what GOL was all about at "no cost", I enjoyed it and got more involved. As a reminder, I attended my first GOL party as volunteer. I never took part in any NMD. My picture was on the home page twice but I never posted any introduction message... and I'm not the only one of the sort I know. For all that, I guess GOL shouldn't build on heavy walls around itself. The "enemy" isn't that bad anyway (people who can't survive some spamm are dead already for sure!) but lots of friendship an nice newcomers could be lost I'm afraid.
If 3 people tick an email they have received from a given member as spam, or if 3 members block that person on chat, the sender account is automatically frozen, ie: blocked to post, email or chat with anyone untill SiteAdmin has considered what happened.

I can't think of a better idea than this, because all the other ones look to much autoritative and unfriendly to me. An actual friend of mine "harrassed" me with numerous emails the first hour she had registered on GOL, because she couldn't manage to use the chat on her Mac. She's more than fine, I'm telling you.
I registered to GOL only to be allowed to register to a salsa class. I didn't give a damm at the time about this community I had never heard of beforehand. So I didn't post any picture, filled any profile or posted any presentation message. Then, given the opportunity to see what GOL was all about at "no cost", I enjoyed it and got more involved. As a reminder, I attended my first GOL party as volunteer. I never took part in any NMD. My picture was on the home page twice but I never posted any introduction message... and I'm not the only one of the sort I know. For all that, I guess GOL shouldn't build on heavy walls around itself. The "enemy" isn't that bad anyway (people who can't survive some spamm are dead already for sure!) but lots of friendship an nice newcomers could be lost I'm afraid.
Hobbes, May 27, 2006 @ 07:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
...before you get registered and can post? I think asking more would be too much and would scare some people away...
...before you get registered and can post? I think asking more would be too much and would scare some people away...
silba, Jun 12, 2006 @ 19:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
posting photo is now optional
posting photo is now optional
Nir Ofek, Jun 14, 2006 @ 15:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
I do !
I do !
Hobbes, Jun 21, 2006 @ 13:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
thanks for the feedback Lara.

I understand your feedback, and the same concern was raised by some other members too. On the other hand, other members did like the 'prove yourself before you can post' idea. So the jury is still out on this one.

We're still researching this point and asking everyone we know about it. In any case, before we make any big changes, we'll do a bigger survey among the community.

thanks for the feedback Lara.

I understand your feedback, and the same concern was raised by some other members too. On the other hand, other members did like the 'prove yourself before you can post' idea. So the jury is still out on this one.

We're still researching this point and asking everyone we know about it. In any case, before we make any big changes, we'll do a bigger survey among the community.

Nir Ofek, Jun 25, 2006 @ 20:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Most successful forums have a simple process.. don't stuff it up with overly complicated entry requirements...

Users can post, visitors can view only.
Most successful forums have a simple process.. don't stuff it up with overly complicated entry requirements...

Users can post, visitors can view only.
accxess, Jun 25, 2006 @ 20:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 1918 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form