Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > Email Scam on GoL - Warning

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Email Scam on GoL - Warning
We work like wolves to keep the community safe, but sometimes crooks and ass holes can get in...So be careful of this:

Some GoL members received the below Email (or some other form of it) in the past few days. The people sending you these mails are professional con men, and this is a SCAM. You should NOT reply to their mail, and let us know about it right away.

The con men sending you the below mail will claim they have some dirty money sitting somewhere, and if you help them get it, you will get a piece of the money. At some later point they will ask you to send them money to cover some transaction costs, or to come meet them. It's all meant to get your money out of you.

We already blocked the sender of the below Emails, and reported it to the Swiss Fraud Board. But it's possible more spammers will try their luck...

Pls let us know if you get such mails.

Thanks.

-------------------------

Actual fraud mail received by GoL member:

ABIDJAN.IVORY COAST.
COTE D'IVOIRE.
Alternative Email; [email protected]

Dearest one,

My name are MISS ANITA JENNIFER AGOMOH, I am writing you from Abidjan Ivory Coast, I see your profile therefore I sent you this my email, Please kindly write me back to the email above, I will like to discuss something with you in personally, in your response to my message then I will explain myself to you more better.

Hopefully to hear from you ASAP?

Best Regards,

Your respectful one,

Miss Anita Jennifer Agomoh.
The text you are quoting:
We work like wolves to keep the community safe, but sometimes crooks and ass holes can get in...So be careful of this:

Some GoL members received the below Email (or some other form of it) in the past few days. The people sending you these mails are professional con men, and this is a SCAM. You should NOT reply to their mail, and let us know about it right away.

The con men sending you the below mail will claim they have some dirty money sitting somewhere, and if you help them get it, you will get a piece of the money. At some later point they will ask you to send them money to cover some transaction costs, or to come meet them. It's all meant to get your money out of you.

We already blocked the sender of the below Emails, and reported it to the Swiss Fraud Board. But it's possible more spammers will try their luck...

Pls let us know if you get such mails.

Thanks.

-------------------------

Actual fraud mail received by GoL member:

ABIDJAN.IVORY COAST.
COTE D'IVOIRE.
Alternative Email; [email protected]

Dearest one,

My name are MISS ANITA JENNIFER AGOMOH, I am writing you from Abidjan Ivory Coast, I see your profile therefore I sent you this my email, Please kindly write me back to the email above, I will like to discuss something with you in personally, in your response to my message then I will explain myself to you more better.

Hopefully to hear from you ASAP?

Best Regards,

Your respectful one,

Miss Anita Jennifer Agomoh.
Nir OfekApr 28, 2006 @ 14:45
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 2696 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Email Scam on GoL - Warning
Post 1
Hi Nir !
i got it as well and wasn't quite sure what to make of it... thanks for the explanation, will delete it right away !!
cheers - nathalie
Hi Nir !
i got it as well and wasn't quite sure what to make of it... thanks for the explanation, will delete it right away !!
cheers - nathalie
addaxnat, Apr 28, 2006 @ 18:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Named for the law in Nigeria to outlaw the scam. This particular fraud was perfected in Nigeria. It predates the internet, but it gained momentum with it. Lots of people still fall for it - and the people who do it are often very dangerous. The scam now operates out of many other countries, most notably Cote d'Ivoire, South Africa - even Czech Rep. and Israel. Often times the mail is forwarded out of 3rd countries to mask the place of the scammers (often re-forwarded out of Israel and Italy). There is a huge group of these guys in Amsterdam (usually Nigerians) who get people to come to the Netherlands, and play this game with them.

Many people are killed by these scammers - or kidnapped. Mostly the scammers get "up front" money to "release the funds" that are usually (supposedly) "trapped" in some Central Bank, or private-bank account, or "whatever".

This is why it is called an "advance fee fraud" scam. You can google and find lots of info about it. The US Secret Service has a huge site on it, with information on how to report it to various authorities - and you should report it to the US Govt, because many of the emails go through U.S.-based computer servers, making it a U.S.-based fraud.

The US website is here: http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

Sometimes real government officials get into this scam - so the papers they send can seem real.

AND: reporting this scam doesn't cause you any harm. This is important to know.

The President of Nigeria has been repeatedly asked to stop the Nigerian-based operation of this scam. He's gone back and forth on it. And the scammers have gone international.

Two years ago, a Norwegian millionaire, Kjetil Moe, was murdered when he got caught in a 419 scam. So this stuff is really serious.

Delete the email and keep this trash out of your life.

Named for the law in Nigeria to outlaw the scam. This particular fraud was perfected in Nigeria. It predates the internet, but it gained momentum with it. Lots of people still fall for it - and the people who do it are often very dangerous. The scam now operates out of many other countries, most notably Cote d'Ivoire, South Africa - even Czech Rep. and Israel. Often times the mail is forwarded out of 3rd countries to mask the place of the scammers (often re-forwarded out of Israel and Italy). There is a huge group of these guys in Amsterdam (usually Nigerians) who get people to come to the Netherlands, and play this game with them.

Many people are killed by these scammers - or kidnapped. Mostly the scammers get "up front" money to "release the funds" that are usually (supposedly) "trapped" in some Central Bank, or private-bank account, or "whatever".

This is why it is called an "advance fee fraud" scam. You can google and find lots of info about it. The US Secret Service has a huge site on it, with information on how to report it to various authorities - and you should report it to the US Govt, because many of the emails go through U.S.-based computer servers, making it a U.S.-based fraud.

The US website is here: http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

Sometimes real government officials get into this scam - so the papers they send can seem real.

AND: reporting this scam doesn't cause you any harm. This is important to know.

The President of Nigeria has been repeatedly asked to stop the Nigerian-based operation of this scam. He's gone back and forth on it. And the scammers have gone international.

Two years ago, a Norwegian millionaire, Kjetil Moe, was murdered when he got caught in a 419 scam. So this stuff is really serious.

Delete the email and keep this trash out of your life.

Jennifer, May 1, 2006 @ 16:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
The majority of victims travelling to meet offenders will, hopefully, walk away unharmed physically, returning to their own country eventually, suffering only financial harm.

Below we give a few examples that we have knowledge of, where individuals have not been so lucky when meeting Advance Fee Fraud offenders:

During 1995 the United States Secret Service assigned agents to Lagos, Nigeria, for the purpose of locating and rescuing victims of Nigerian 419 Advance Fee Fraud offenders.

In this year seven (7) victims were extricated, and another was found murdered.

In June 1999 Jean Pierre Li Shing Tat, a Canadian national from Mauritius, was, tragically, found alongside a road outside Johannesburg, South Africa. He was found bound and shot twice in the head. His family had earlier received a ransom note demanding US$200 000 after he travelled to meet his ‘business partner’ in a 419 scam.

During September 1999, Norwegian millionaire, Kjetil Moc, was kidnapped and found murdered in South Africa after travelling to meet offenders in a 419 scam. The victim was 65 years of age when murdered.

Danut Mircea Tetrescu was kidnapped during November 1999 and held for ransom in Soweto, outside Johannesburg. Police intervened and saved the victim, which led to the arrest of seven (7) offenders.

1999 also saw the kidnapping of Kensuke Matsumoto, a Japanese national, who travelled to South Africa to meet offenders of a 419 scam. This victim escaped with his life when he managed to flee from his captors in Durban.

Also in 1999, five more individuals were kidnapped and held for ransom. After ransom was paid by family members of four (4) victims they were released. The fifth victim was freed by police.

During July 2001 a former deputy mayor of Northampton travelled to South Africa after being lured into a Nigerian 419 scam. Upon arrival he was kidnapped and held for ransom.

During 2004 a victim of a Nigerian 419 scam was requested to travel to Saudi Arabia to meet the individuals he was ‘assisting’ in a fake financial deal. Upon his arrival he was kidnapped, assaulted and robbed of the money he brought along. He was tied up and left in a hotel room, whereupon the two offenders fled. The victim managed to free himself and, after notifying authorities, the two offenders were apprehended.

During December 2004 a Cypriot victim, George Macromallis, travelled to South Africa for a second time to meet offenders in a Nigerian 419 scam. Upon meeting them he was kidnapped. After co-operation with informers of 419Legal, the victim was traced to Durban where police discovered his dead body. His family had received a notice to pay ransom. Despite that, the offenders had assaulted the victim, broken his arms and legs and set him alight before he died.

Early in 2005 a Brazilian victim was lured to South Africa in a Nigerian 419 scam. Upon arrival the victim was taken to a quiet area where offenders assaulted him. He was robbed of all his money and left on a roadside. Terrified, the victim returned to his country without laying formal charges.

From the few recorded items above it is clear that offenders of Advance Fee Fraud pose a great risk to victims they are defrauding. Although the majority of fraudsters tend not to be violent, the risk of falling victim to violence, when meeting fraudsters, is very real.

(copied from the internet http://www.internet-love-scams.org/index.php?pid=8)
The majority of victims travelling to meet offenders will, hopefully, walk away unharmed physically, returning to their own country eventually, suffering only financial harm.

Below we give a few examples that we have knowledge of, where individuals have not been so lucky when meeting Advance Fee Fraud offenders:

During 1995 the United States Secret Service assigned agents to Lagos, Nigeria, for the purpose of locating and rescuing victims of Nigerian 419 Advance Fee Fraud offenders.

In this year seven (7) victims were extricated, and another was found murdered.

In June 1999 Jean Pierre Li Shing Tat, a Canadian national from Mauritius, was, tragically, found alongside a road outside Johannesburg, South Africa. He was found bound and shot twice in the head. His family had earlier received a ransom note demanding US$200 000 after he travelled to meet his ‘business partner’ in a 419 scam.

During September 1999, Norwegian millionaire, Kjetil Moc, was kidnapped and found murdered in South Africa after travelling to meet offenders in a 419 scam. The victim was 65 years of age when murdered.

Danut Mircea Tetrescu was kidnapped during November 1999 and held for ransom in Soweto, outside Johannesburg. Police intervened and saved the victim, which led to the arrest of seven (7) offenders.

1999 also saw the kidnapping of Kensuke Matsumoto, a Japanese national, who travelled to South Africa to meet offenders of a 419 scam. This victim escaped with his life when he managed to flee from his captors in Durban.

Also in 1999, five more individuals were kidnapped and held for ransom. After ransom was paid by family members of four (4) victims they were released. The fifth victim was freed by police.

During July 2001 a former deputy mayor of Northampton travelled to South Africa after being lured into a Nigerian 419 scam. Upon arrival he was kidnapped and held for ransom.

During 2004 a victim of a Nigerian 419 scam was requested to travel to Saudi Arabia to meet the individuals he was ‘assisting’ in a fake financial deal. Upon his arrival he was kidnapped, assaulted and robbed of the money he brought along. He was tied up and left in a hotel room, whereupon the two offenders fled. The victim managed to free himself and, after notifying authorities, the two offenders were apprehended.

During December 2004 a Cypriot victim, George Macromallis, travelled to South Africa for a second time to meet offenders in a Nigerian 419 scam. Upon meeting them he was kidnapped. After co-operation with informers of 419Legal, the victim was traced to Durban where police discovered his dead body. His family had received a notice to pay ransom. Despite that, the offenders had assaulted the victim, broken his arms and legs and set him alight before he died.

Early in 2005 a Brazilian victim was lured to South Africa in a Nigerian 419 scam. Upon arrival the victim was taken to a quiet area where offenders assaulted him. He was robbed of all his money and left on a roadside. Terrified, the victim returned to his country without laying formal charges.

From the few recorded items above it is clear that offenders of Advance Fee Fraud pose a great risk to victims they are defrauding. Although the majority of fraudsters tend not to be violent, the risk of falling victim to violence, when meeting fraudsters, is very real.

(copied from the internet http://www.internet-love-scams.org/index.php?pid=8)
Jennifer, May 1, 2006 @ 16:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I got this the other night!! it did make me larf :)

I did reply telling the young lady I was very flattered but already in a relationship.

Hello Dear
I Am a lady Uli by name 21 years of age from senegal in the Continent of West africa, i met your profile in this site and i was realy impresed by your descriptions,so i felt like to let you know that i am intrested in your love.
Please i will like to have more contacts with you if possible,please reply in my yahoo email so that i can send you my photo.
[email protected]
I got this the other night!! it did make me larf :)

I did reply telling the young lady I was very flattered but already in a relationship.

Hello Dear
I Am a lady Uli by name 21 years of age from senegal in the Continent of West africa, i met your profile in this site and i was realy impresed by your descriptions,so i felt like to let you know that i am intrested in your love.
Please i will like to have more contacts with you if possible,please reply in my yahoo email so that i can send you my photo.
[email protected]
Paul77, May 4, 2006 @ 14:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I received the same but did not reply because I suspected it's a SPAM mail and a scam. I meant to report it until I saw this thread.
I received the same but did not reply because I suspected it's a SPAM mail and a scam. I meant to report it until I saw this thread.
CeeBee, May 4, 2006 @ 14:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Does this mean that the beautiful Russian model that wrote to me doesn't really love me either?
Does this mean that the beautiful Russian model that wrote to me doesn't really love me either?
austinmurphy, May 5, 2006 @ 15:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
she also loves every other man out there who might have some money...
she also loves every other man out there who might have some money...
Nir Ofek, May 8, 2006 @ 15:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Usually there is a team of people writing these things.

There is even a cottage industry of scamming the scammers, whereby they try to get the scammers to do embarassing things, (take pictures, etc) or to send THEM money. It has actually worked - getting a few hundred bucks out of these people. Which is pretty fair, considering that they want to steal your entire savings, and more.

Lots of people - financial manager and accountants, have taken their lives after using money that wasn't their's for this kind of scam, and realizing that they'd defrauded clients or family - indirectly - by "borrowing" money that wasn't their's to participate in the quick-rich scheme/scam.
Usually there is a team of people writing these things.

There is even a cottage industry of scamming the scammers, whereby they try to get the scammers to do embarassing things, (take pictures, etc) or to send THEM money. It has actually worked - getting a few hundred bucks out of these people. Which is pretty fair, considering that they want to steal your entire savings, and more.

Lots of people - financial manager and accountants, have taken their lives after using money that wasn't their's for this kind of scam, and realizing that they'd defrauded clients or family - indirectly - by "borrowing" money that wasn't their's to participate in the quick-rich scheme/scam.
Jennifer, May 8, 2006 @ 21:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Just received 2 identical mails.

Hello Dear,
My name is Miss Ana Lorentin. i saw your profile today and became intrested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send an email to my so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am.Here is my email address ([email protected]) I have seen your profile and I think that you are interesting personality.May i use this chance to get to know you better. Hope I will be lucky.The most important for me what is inside you and how do you feel about the life. I know this life from many sides and I am rather matured already to know how to make a man happy. I will just give you an idea of who I am. My name is Anna. I want to meet a serious man who would be strong and share exprience of life. I have really many interests: music, reading, books, computers,movies, good conversations, sports and many other things which make the life wonderful. I like beautiful clothes and things. I am rather independent.I enjoy the life as it is and I love the life with all its aspects. I am very kind (I am not boasting)) which hurts me often. But I am strong enough and faith in all i do. I think we should give life a chance
I WIL BE WAITIN FOR YOUR MAIL? annagood2006 at yahoo.com
Love
Anna [email protected]

annagood2006 at ya hoo .com
Just received 2 identical mails.

Hello Dear,
My name is Miss Ana Lorentin. i saw your profile today and became intrested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send an email to my so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am.Here is my email address ([email protected]) I have seen your profile and I think that you are interesting personality.May i use this chance to get to know you better. Hope I will be lucky.The most important for me what is inside you and how do you feel about the life. I know this life from many sides and I am rather matured already to know how to make a man happy. I will just give you an idea of who I am. My name is Anna. I want to meet a serious man who would be strong and share exprience of life. I have really many interests: music, reading, books, computers,movies, good conversations, sports and many other things which make the life wonderful. I like beautiful clothes and things. I am rather independent.I enjoy the life as it is and I love the life with all its aspects. I am very kind (I am not boasting)) which hurts me often. But I am strong enough and faith in all i do. I think we should give life a chance
Love
Anna [email protected]

annagood2006 at ya hoo .com
britabroad, May 16, 2006 @ 20:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
I received the e-mail from dear, sweet Anna today! Beware! She's not as sweet as she sounds...
I received the e-mail from dear, sweet Anna today! Beware! She's not as sweet as she sounds...
Tickler, May 16, 2006 @ 20:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
Wow, Miss Ana Lorentin, I thought we had a connection. You know, a real soul to kindred soul thing going on. Sigh, another relationship down the tubes. :)
Wow, Miss Ana Lorentin, I thought we had a connection. You know, a real soul to kindred soul thing going on. Sigh, another relationship down the tubes. :)
djchurch, May 16, 2006 @ 20:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
I recieved the same!!!
I recieved the same!!!
SWISS, May 16, 2006 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
the messages are as follows:
[email protected]

Hello Dear
[email protected]

annasweet (that's a funny one, just copy paste and send to all male profiles..):
Hello Dear,
Love
Anna [email protected]
the messages are as follows:
[email protected]

Hello Dear
[email protected]

annasweet (that's a funny one, just copy paste and send to all male profiles..):
Hello Dear,
Love
Anna [email protected]
Rasputin, May 16, 2006 @ 21:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
...and we posted an announcement on the 'News from Site Admin' forum to warn all other members.

We had several of these SCAM attempts lately on GoL, and we do our best to identify them BEFORE they get into the community, and block them asap if they get in.

Thanks for letting us know if you get more of these mails.

nir
...and we posted an announcement on the 'News from Site Admin' forum to warn all other members.

We had several of these SCAM attempts lately on GoL, and we do our best to identify them BEFORE they get into the community, and block them asap if they get in.

Thanks for letting us know if you get more of these mails.

nir
Nir Ofek, May 16, 2006 @ 21:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
Thanks. Both have been blocked
Thanks. Both have been blocked