Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > Fighting Spammers

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Fighting Spammers
Recently 2 scam-spammers joined GoL and bombarded GoLers with scam Email (see previous thread on this forum). We blocked these spammers quickly, but we take seriously future scam-spammers threat and are working hard to kill it.

We'd love to hear your ideas / feedback on the below ideas which we're thinking about:

1. If members X's Emails are 'flagged' by 3 GoLers, member X is blocked automatically (until reviewed by site admin).

2. New members will NOT be able to send Email for the 1st 24 hours after registration.

3. We'd especially love to hear your thoghts on this one: new members will be able to post only after they activate their account by sending us a confirmation SMS from their mobile. Having to expose your mobile number will prevent, we hope, many scam-spammers from joining (for non-spamming members, we will assure assure 100% privacy of their number).

Thanks for your feedback / more ideas.
The text you are quoting:
Recently 2 scam-spammers joined GoL and bombarded GoLers with scam Email (see previous thread on this forum). We blocked these spammers quickly, but we take seriously future scam-spammers threat and are working hard to kill it.

We'd love to hear your ideas / feedback on the below ideas which we're thinking about:

1. If members X's Emails are 'flagged' by 3 GoLers, member X is blocked automatically (until reviewed by site admin).

2. New members will NOT be able to send Email for the 1st 24 hours after registration.

3. We'd especially love to hear your thoghts on this one: new members will be able to post only after they activate their account by sending us a confirmation SMS from their mobile. Having to expose your mobile number will prevent, we hope, many scam-spammers from joining (for non-spamming members, we will assure assure 100% privacy of their number).

Thanks for your feedback / more ideas.
Nir OfekMay 20, 2006 @ 19:59
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 2003 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Fighting Spammers
Post 1
I heard that foreigners arriving in Geneva sometimes have a hard time getting a cell phone, so the sms is not such a good idea for them.
I heard that foreigners arriving in Geneva sometimes have a hard time getting a cell phone, so the sms is not such a good idea for them.
VeroB, May 20, 2006 @ 20:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Good point Vero, thanks. Any other ideas?
Good point Vero, thanks. Any other ideas?
Nir Ofek, May 20, 2006 @ 21:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
It is easy, logical, and doesn't harm anyone.

About number 2; I met a GOL friend because she sent me an email the first minute she had registered, because she couldn't manage using the chat. It would be a shame to prevent that, registering to events, etc.

About number 3; some people don't want to have a mobile phone !
It is easy, logical, and doesn't harm anyone.

About number 2; I met a GOL friend because she sent me an email the first minute she had registered, because she couldn't manage using the chat. It would be a shame to prevent that, registering to events, etc.

About number 3; some people don't want to have a mobile phone !
Hobbes, May 22, 2006 @ 12:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I just got the following message on my screen: "Sorry, you have reached the maximum number of emails allowed per day and cannot send any more mails today. We do this to protect community members from any potential spamming. We know YOU ARE NOT a SPAMMER, but have to play it safe."

It looks that there is a limit set at 30 email per day. This makes sense regarding potential spamm for sure. But how are we supposed to keep in touch with registeres members for an activity /club, for instance to annonce last minute changes, if we can't send grouped messages ? Could this limit be raised for "certfied / known in real life" members ? I know some other event organiser had this trouble too.
I just got the following message on my screen: "Sorry, you have reached the maximum number of emails allowed per day and cannot send any more mails today. We do this to protect community members from any potential spamming. We know YOU ARE NOT a SPAMMER, but have to play it safe."

It looks that there is a limit set at 30 email per day. This makes sense regarding potential spamm for sure. But how are we supposed to keep in touch with registeres members for an activity /club, for instance to annonce last minute changes, if we can't send grouped messages ? Could this limit be raised for "certfied / known in real life" members ? I know some other event organiser had this trouble too.
Hobbes, May 22, 2006 @ 16:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I have gotten some complaints from event organizers saying that the 30 emails per day limit is making their lives difficult.

The 30 emails per day limit is a temporary solution to the spam problem.

I thought 30 would be enough,but I see this may not be the case.
How many emails do you need per day Hobbes?

Thanks

O
I have gotten some complaints from event organizers saying that the 30 emails per day limit is making their lives difficult.

The 30 emails per day limit is a temporary solution to the spam problem.

I thought 30 would be enough,but I see this may not be the case.
How many emails do you need per day Hobbes?

Thanks

O

SiteAdmin Oded, May 22, 2006 @ 18:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Looks a lot, doesn't it ? But it's not so much.
Let's consider an event like a theme dinner and clubing evening. When I post the event, I'de like to send the invite to my friends - about 25 of them - and probaly to the newest members, to show them we care since the moment they arrive - let's say 30 of them. I'll receive at least 40 replies, most of them asking for more details, to be kept posted, etc. If I send a grouped email to them the same day, I've got only 5 messages left. For sure, it doesn't happen everyday, and I could wait for the following day. But since I try to do the party / roller / boating organisation bits the same day, I can really be limited by 30.

To avoid spamming, could you set a different limit based on the member registration date ? Like 10 emails per day the first week, 30 the first month, 100 afterward ?
Looks a lot, doesn't it ? But it's not so much.
Let's consider an event like a theme dinner and clubing evening. When I post the event, I'de like to send the invite to my friends - about 25 of them - and probaly to the newest members, to show them we care since the moment they arrive - let's say 30 of them. I'll receive at least 40 replies, most of them asking for more details, to be kept posted, etc. If I send a grouped email to them the same day, I've got only 5 messages left. For sure, it doesn't happen everyday, and I could wait for the following day. But since I try to do the party / roller / boating organisation bits the same day, I can really be limited by 30.

To avoid spamming, could you set a different limit based on the member registration date ? Like 10 emails per day the first week, 30 the first month, 100 afterward ?
Hobbes, May 22, 2006 @ 21:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
I agree that the 30 email limit may make it a bit harder for organizers, but until we come up with a better way to fight spammers, we have to limit the number of emails people can send.

We will try to come up with a better solution soon, and I hope this does not interfere too much with the activities for now.

Thanks

O
I agree that the 30 email limit may make it a bit harder for organizers, but until we come up with a better way to fight spammers, we have to limit the number of emails people can send.

We will try to come up with a better solution soon, and I hope this does not interfere too much with the activities for now.

Thanks

O
SiteAdmin Oded, May 22, 2006 @ 23:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
I guess most organizers will now ask people for their email addresses. This is also easier for the organisers as GoL has no email list. So a limit of 30 sounds fine to me. This leaves the email service providers to worry about spam.
I guess most organizers will now ask people for their email addresses. This is also easier for the organisers as GoL has no email list. So a limit of 30 sounds fine to me. This leaves the email service providers to worry about spam.
Rob_M, May 23, 2006 @ 11:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Don't worry, we'll manage !
Don't worry, we'll manage !
Hobbes, May 23, 2006 @ 15:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
How about making the New Member Introduction post a requirement prior to registration? The hope is that spammers will either not want to bother or have to be creative about their reasons for joining :)
How about making the New Member Introduction post a requirement prior to registration? The hope is that spammers will either not want to bother or have to be creative about their reasons for joining :)
Perco, May 25, 2006 @ 22:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
Perco's idea of having to 'prove yourself' before becoming a GoL member who can post sounds interesting...if we crack a mechanism that will seperate people who really want to join a friendly community from passing by spammers / non active members, it could do well for the community.

What could be used for this seperation?
- having to post an intro?
- having to post a picture?
- having to come to min 1-2 events BEFORE?
- any other ideas?
Perco's idea of having to 'prove yourself' before becoming a GoL member who can post sounds interesting...if we crack a mechanism that will seperate people who really want to join a friendly community from passing by spammers / non active members, it could do well for the community.

What could be used for this seperation?
- having to post an intro?
- having to post a picture?
- having to come to min 1-2 events BEFORE?
- any other ideas?
Nir Ofek, May 26, 2006 @ 15:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
I have this afternoon (June 6) received the following mail from the lovely Vivian (whom I guess has only just joined)...

Hello
, My Name Is vivian,i am a nice looking caring understand and gentle girl.i am a member of this site.my love i saw your profile,and i think that we can make it together. please,i will like you to email me back through my mail address at ([email protected])so that you will know more about me and se my pic,my love i am waiting to read your lovely mail.Thank You.From vivian

Arrrgggghhhhh!!! Sorry! Still can't come up with any solutions, but I guess the whole thread on limiting 'e-mails per day' is the most practicable for now...
I have this afternoon (June 6) received the following mail from the lovely Vivian (whom I guess has only just joined)...

Hello
, My Name Is vivian,i am a nice looking caring understand and gentle girl.i am a member of this site.my love i saw your profile,and i think that we can make it together. please,i will like you to email me back through my mail address at ([email protected])so that you will know more about me and se my pic,my love i am waiting to read your lovely mail.Thank You.From vivian

Arrrgggghhhhh!!! Sorry! Still can't come up with any solutions, but I guess the whole thread on limiting 'e-mails per day' is the most practicable for now...
Tickler, Jun 6, 2006 @ 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 2003 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form