Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > Find Members by Interest - Launched Today

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Find Members by Interest - Launched Today
Howdy Folks

We've been promising this for a while, and its finaly done.

Check out the Members and/or Online Now pages.

You can now search for members by Interests, and find members who are interested in the same things as you.

We hope this new option will help people connect based on their interests and hobbies.

There may be some bugs to work out with the search, so please let us know if something is not working correclty.

Thanks

Oded
The text you are quoting:
Howdy Folks

We've been promising this for a while, and its finaly done.

Check out the Members and/or Online Now pages.

You can now search for members by Interests, and find members who are interested in the same things as you.

We hope this new option will help people connect based on their interests and hobbies.

There may be some bugs to work out with the search, so please let us know if something is not working correclty.

Thanks

Oded
SiteAdmin OdedJul 17, 2007 @ 01:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

17 Replies | 2285 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Find Members by Interest - Launched Today
Post 1
Once again, well done guys! Not only does this allow 'like-minded people' to hook up, but also people looking for 'new' activities can have a hunt too, great! ...Humm, poor Oded - you're going to have loads of people modifying their profile texts in the next few days / weeks, so as to stay in line with 'keeping it real' (& to the point)... All the same, well done mate! :-) J.
Once again, well done guys! Not only does this allow 'like-minded people' to hook up, but also people looking for 'new' activities can have a hunt too, great! ...Humm, poor Oded - you're going to have loads of people modifying their profile texts in the next few days / weeks, so as to stay in line with 'keeping it real' (& to the point)... All the same, well done mate! :-) J.
JulianT, Jul 17, 2007 @ 01:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
71 guitarists (or wanna be guitarists)
179 scuba divers
194 sailors
358 dancers
584 music lovers...

looks like it's working. Wierd thing, I found Archie and SiteAdmin when searching "sport", is it any bug ? ;-P
71 guitarists (or wanna be guitarists)
179 scuba divers
194 sailors
358 dancers
584 music lovers...

looks like it's working. Wierd thing, I found Archie and SiteAdmin when searching "sport", is it any bug ? ;-P
Hobbes, Jul 17, 2007 @ 12:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I did a search on who has 'Hobbes' as a hobby, and 31 names come up...(-: Really!

When searching for 'Nir' as a hobby, only 3 come up!
I did a search on who has 'Hobbes' as a hobby, and 31 names come up...(-: Really!

When searching for 'Nir' as a hobby, only 3 come up!

Nir Ofek, Jul 17, 2007 @ 17:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Maybe we can look who has unique hobbies , a bit like googling for a single result.

Try unicycling
Maybe we can look who has unique hobbies , a bit like googling for a single result.

Try unicycling
britabroad, Jul 17, 2007 @ 17:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
sorry mate!
sorry mate!
Hoiling, Jul 17, 2007 @ 20:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
As I was looking for "salsa" (lots of them !), i found
steganography, only one person.

As I didnt know what it meant (do you ?), I found out in wikipedia :
Steganography is the art and science of writing hidden messages in such a way that no one apart from the intended recipient knows of the existence of the message

And, by the way, there are more than 30 Goler's who have as a hobby "to sleep"...
As I was looking for "salsa" (lots of them !), i found
steganography, only one person.

As I didnt know what it meant (do you ?), I found out in wikipedia :
Steganography is the art and science of writing hidden messages in such a way that no one apart from the intended recipient knows of the existence of the message

And, by the way, there are more than 30 Goler's who have as a hobby "to sleep"...

zolita, Jul 17, 2007 @ 20:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Then YOU should add me as a hobby! (-: (nt)
Then YOU should add me as a hobby! (-: (nt)
Nir Ofek, Jul 17, 2007 @ 21:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
The bug - seems like the search parses the term and spews more matches than it should. For example, if you search for "drinky" you get all members who mention "drink" in their interests. You get 31 matches for "hobbit" even though members have the word hobby or something else in their interest.

The mention of steganography by zolita reminds me of ambigrams (a creative way of embedding and expressing a message that can be read from other angles). Some logos and pictures feature ambigrams. Examples of this can be found in Godel, Escher, Bach.

If GOL or someone else ever wanted inspiration or resource for logo design, consider John Langdon team - one of the brilliantly creative teams. Dan Brown (of Da Vinci Code fame) used John's work in his book Angels and Demons. I once wondered whether Da Vinci Code's lead character Robert Langdon was named after John Langdon because Dan admired John's work; perhaps, he liked the name and symbolism implicit therein.

For some inspiring logo examples, check out: http://www.johnlangdon.net/logos.html

Interestingly, GoL can be transformed into an ambigram-type logo. It may be possible to do something similar with Glocals.
The bug - seems like the search parses the term and spews more matches than it should. For example, if you search for "drinky" you get all members who mention "drink" in their interests. You get 31 matches for "hobbit" even though members have the word hobby or something else in their interest.

The mention of steganography by zolita reminds me of ambigrams (a creative way of embedding and expressing a message that can be read from other angles). Some logos and pictures feature ambigrams. Examples of this can be found in Godel, Escher, Bach.

If GOL or someone else ever wanted inspiration or resource for logo design, consider John Langdon team - one of the brilliantly creative teams. Dan Brown (of Da Vinci Code fame) used John's work in his book Angels and Demons. I once wondered whether Da Vinci Code's lead character Robert Langdon was named after John Langdon because Dan admired John's work; perhaps, he liked the name and symbolism implicit therein.

For some inspiring logo examples, check out: http://www.johnlangdon.net/logos.html

Interestingly, GoL can be transformed into an ambigram-type logo. It may be possible to do something similar with Glocals.
colorado, Jul 18, 2007 @ 00:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Hi Colorado

The search by interests does a search on parts of the word, because we do not know the exact search terms people will use.

For example, if you search for 'skiing', I want you to also find people who wrote 'ski' as an interest. Or, if you search for 'running', I want you to also find people who wrote 'run' as an interest.

Makes sense?

Oded
Hi Colorado

The search by interests does a search on parts of the word, because we do not know the exact search terms people will use.

For example, if you search for 'skiing', I want you to also find people who wrote 'ski' as an interest. Or, if you search for 'running', I want you to also find people who wrote 'run' as an interest.

Makes sense?

Oded
SiteAdmin Oded, Jul 19, 2007 @ 14:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
You'd better give instructions how to handle them after they are in your network. Ouf, I make 2 months' break to invite somebody to my friends network. It's tooooooo tough work.
You'd better give instructions how to handle them after they are in your network. Ouf, I make 2 months' break to invite somebody to my friends network. It's tooooooo tough work.
careful, Jul 20, 2007 @ 01:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Makes sense - parse the word and list all matches containing ski, skiing, heliski, etc. when someone types skiing.

This would work most of the time.

It would not sometimes.

For example, if someone is interested in finding members who list skits as a hobby - the current parsing approach finds members with skiing as well.

One approach to address this may be to first list exact matches, then the subsumed and fuzzy matches.

Makes sense - parse the word and list all matches containing ski, skiing, heliski, etc. when someone types skiing.

This would work most of the time.

It would not sometimes.

For example, if someone is interested in finding members who list skits as a hobby - the current parsing approach finds members with skiing as well.

One approach to address this may be to first list exact matches, then the subsumed and fuzzy matches.
colorado, Jul 20, 2007 @ 10:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
Thanks Colorado. we'll try the current search for a while, and then collect some feedback from members, and decide how to best progress...
Thanks Colorado. we'll try the current search for a while, and then collect some feedback from members, and decide how to best progress...
Nir Ofek, Jul 21, 2007 @ 12:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
I'll surely think about that, Nir.
I'll surely think about that, Nir.
CeeBee, Jul 27, 2007 @ 12:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
It's funny, good for different mailings. I dont think I will run to find new friends in this way, prefer the earth... but it can serve. And I understand that everybody has its own conception to look for like-minded people or a bit of contraversy for the pleasure of mind. But be cute, otherwise, there is no pleasure.
It's funny, good for different mailings. I dont think I will run to find new friends in this way, prefer the earth... but it can serve. And I understand that everybody has its own conception to look for like-minded people or a bit of contraversy for the pleasure of mind. But be cute, otherwise, there is no pleasure.
careful, Jul 29, 2007 @ 12:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
I have NIR as a hobby! :-))
I have NIR as a hobby! :-))
CeeBee, Aug 2, 2007 @ 16:23