Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > Geneva Sucks for...?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Geneva Sucks for...?
Howdy folks

We need your creative minds here. Here's the story.

Currently, when someone joins GoL they need to fill in 4 open-text questions:
1. Headline
2. About Yourself
3. Geneva is great for?
4. Geneva sucks for?

We're thinking about replacing the 'Geneva is great / sucks' questions with other questions that may give a bit more info about the new person, and that will make the profile more interesting/useful.

So far, we're considering (in addition to Headline and About Yourself questions):
A. Why are you joining the community?
B. Your favorite places (restaurants, bars, countries...)
C. Special skills/expertise that may be helpful for other members
D. What makes you happy?
E. Most embarassing story

As you can see, we are not very creative :-)

Please let us if you like any of the above, and if you have any other questions to suggest.

Many thanks,

The GoL Gang
The text you are quoting:
Howdy folks

We need your creative minds here. Here's the story.

Currently, when someone joins GoL they need to fill in 4 open-text questions:
1. Headline
2. About Yourself
3. Geneva is great for?
4. Geneva sucks for?

We're thinking about replacing the 'Geneva is great / sucks' questions with other questions that may give a bit more info about the new person, and that will make the profile more interesting/useful.

So far, we're considering (in addition to Headline and About Yourself questions):
A. Why are you joining the community?
B. Your favorite places (restaurants, bars, countries...)
C. Special skills/expertise that may be helpful for other members
D. What makes you happy?
E. Most embarassing story

As you can see, we are not very creative :-)

Please let us if you like any of the above, and if you have any other questions to suggest.

Many thanks,

The GoL Gang
SiteAdmin OdedApr 16, 2007 @ 20:53
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

29 Replies | 3137 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Geneva Sucks for...?
Post 1
A and D are fine for me...

not too sure about the embarassing story

about the restaurant, it might be redundant with the local review

and skills...Hum, too vague...
A and D are fine for me...

not too sure about the embarassing story

about the restaurant, it might be redundant with the local review

and skills...Hum, too vague...
Sab_ge, Apr 16, 2007 @ 21:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
A & D are good! ...The others are a bit ...well ...hmm...

B : Who the heck cares anyway?

C : Umm, this isn't a job interview! :-)

E : If I were to tell you my most recent one, I'd die of embarrassment again! ;-) ..Smthg to do with the 5000 party, Pntbreakrick's camera and me in my kilt! (...Sabs can fill you in!...)

However, the 'GE is great / sucks' thing would be much better if people actually took the time to fill it out properly... instead of 'Dunno' answers - I don't think it's you 'O' who is lacking inspiration here, it's the others - how about a minimum requirement of say 30 characters to be filled in before the profile is accepted? ...Just an idea... :-) J.
A & D are good! ...The others are a bit ...well ...hmm...

B : Who the heck cares anyway?

C : Umm, this isn't a job interview! :-)

E : If I were to tell you my most recent one, I'd die of embarrassment again! ;-) ..Smthg to do with the 5000 party, Pntbreakrick's camera and me in my kilt! (...Sabs can fill you in!...)

However, the 'GE is great / sucks' thing would be much better if people actually took the time to fill it out properly... instead of 'Dunno' answers - I don't think it's you 'O' who is lacking inspiration here, it's the others - how about a minimum requirement of say 30 characters to be filled in before the profile is accepted? ...Just an idea... :-) J.
JulianT, Apr 16, 2007 @ 21:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
that is a good one, there I can list my ability to eat glass bottles...............................right!
that is a good one, there I can list my ability to eat glass bottles...............................right!
StephenSQL, Apr 16, 2007 @ 21:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
you mean 100?
you mean 100?
Sab_ge, Apr 16, 2007 @ 21:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
...Oded should be changing it soon - my fingers went AWAL while typing - and perhaps he'll delete our recent msgs too (re: this)? :-) J.
...Oded should be changing it soon - my fingers went AWAL while typing - and perhaps he'll delete our recent msgs too (re: this)? :-) J.
JulianT, Apr 16, 2007 @ 22:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
how about something like:

- if you were in a gingerbread house, what clothes would you wear?
- your hand has been replaced by a rubber stamp, what does it say?
- describe how you would peel an apple all in one go

i know, i'm totally off my rocker... ;)
how about something like:

- if you were in a gingerbread house, what clothes would you wear?
- your hand has been replaced by a rubber stamp, what does it say?
- describe how you would peel an apple all in one go

i know, i'm totally off my rocker... ;)
Minda, Apr 16, 2007 @ 22:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
1. I think a personal introduction of each member should be mandatory within the first week they join the community, and that the system should be able (somehow...) to add it to their profiles. An intro already says a bit more about people.
2. If GoL goes global (upps, Glocal), Geneva is great for and sucks for, is certainly not relevant anymore.
3. "What makes you happy" or "what have you done to make someone happy" could be interesting. Depending how the person writes, you could grasp a bit of his/her personality.
4. It could be very human and nice to share pictures of how we were as kids......fat baby, crooked teeth, first bike, pet, it's just an idea. No pics from now (but this means more work for you, my friend, by aproving the pics.....)
1. I think a personal introduction of each member should be mandatory within the first week they join the community, and that the system should be able (somehow...) to add it to their profiles. An intro already says a bit more about people.
2. If GoL goes global (upps, Glocal), Geneva is great for and sucks for, is certainly not relevant anymore.
3. "What makes you happy" or "what have you done to make someone happy" could be interesting. Depending how the person writes, you could grasp a bit of his/her personality.
4. It could be very human and nice to share pictures of how we were as kids......fat baby, crooked teeth, first bike, pet, it's just an idea. No pics from now (but this means more work for you, my friend, by aproving the pics.....)
Iolly, Apr 16, 2007 @ 23:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Actually if you google my name you will see my bad school photo on the 1st page .. voted worst on my High School Alumni Website.

Yes .. you will need to know my full name ..
Actually if you google my name you will see my bad school photo on the 1st page .. voted worst on my High School Alumni Website.

Yes .. you will need to know my full name ..
britabroad, Apr 17, 2007 @ 01:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
this is an open-ended question that can tell a bit about where a person may have been, things they've experienced, what makes them happy... you just may have to limit the number of characters on this one though : )
MeCo.
this is an open-ended question that can tell a bit about where a person may have been, things they've experienced, what makes them happy... you just may have to limit the number of characters on this one though : )
MeCo.
YouMeCo, Apr 17, 2007 @ 02:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
The one thing i like about Geneva is great for Geneva sucks for .. is that you get to understand a bit of the personality of the ppl around (example, Geneva suck for, posh attitude ... etc etc) ...
It won't be relevant anymore if GOL goes global ... but then on top of questions A/D/E (the only ones i like) ... even thou A is a bit 'redundant' (I expect 99% of theanswers being ,, cause i wanna meet new ppl) .... we should put something that can give us some idea on ppl personality. What makes you happy is good, but also what drives you nuts ....
And .. Favourite Quotes (you can tell a lot from ppl favourite quotes)!!

My 2 cents for now.
Vale
The one thing i like about Geneva is great for Geneva sucks for .. is that you get to understand a bit of the personality of the ppl around (example, Geneva suck for, posh attitude ... etc etc) ...
It won't be relevant anymore if GOL goes global ... but then on top of questions A/D/E (the only ones i like) ... even thou A is a bit 'redundant' (I expect 99% of theanswers being ,, cause i wanna meet new ppl) .... we should put something that can give us some idea on ppl personality. What makes you happy is good, but also what drives you nuts ....
And .. Favourite Quotes (you can tell a lot from ppl favourite quotes)!!

My 2 cents for now.
Vale
Hoiling, Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
love your questions :) (NT)
love your questions :) (NT)
Hoiling, Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
it's open ended enuf, allows for creativity, and it's one of the first 5 q's u'd normally ask someone u meet in gva anyway.

but i actually think check-boxes would be a better idea, to get more info out of profiles. ppl who like to express themselves in their profiles will find a way to do so, tho it's tru that some may need extra encouragement. for others who don't say much in their profiles, it's probably not for the lack of stimulating question but really that they couldn't be bothered. so check boxes like for 'hobbies' would make it easier for ppl to at least reveal some more info.
it's open ended enuf, allows for creativity, and it's one of the first 5 q's u'd normally ask someone u meet in gva anyway.

but i actually think check-boxes would be a better idea, to get more info out of profiles. ppl who like to express themselves in their profiles will find a way to do so, tho it's tru that some may need extra encouragement. for others who don't say much in their profiles, it's probably not for the lack of stimulating question but really that they couldn't be bothered. so check boxes like for 'hobbies' would make it easier for ppl to at least reveal some more info.
snowrice, Apr 17, 2007 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
I think you should add questions such as: 1) what makes life meaningful to you?; or 2) what are your values?
Lightness (fun, drinks, ski etc.) is good, but heaviness is important, too.
I think you should add questions such as: 1) what makes life meaningful to you?; or 2) what are your values?
Lightness (fun, drinks, ski etc.) is good, but heaviness is important, too.
congusto, Apr 18, 2007 @ 01:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
In my mind, your questions are too deep - keep it light and simple! :-) J.
In my mind, your questions are too deep - keep it light and simple! :-) J.
JulianT, Apr 18, 2007 @ 02:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
Actually i like the old format cos its nice and short.. unlike some site whr one has to fill a lotta info to get started.. i say keep it short... wat we already have is more than enuf... watdya think?
Actually i like the old format cos its nice and short.. unlike some site whr one has to fill a lotta info to get started.. i say keep it short... wat we already have is more than enuf... watdya think?
kimerton, Apr 18, 2007 @ 18:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
'You are in ____ because...?'

works well for when GoL goes global too... could change the 'You are' bit into: 'You like being...' followed by a negative variant too... :-) J.
'You are in ____ because...?'

works well for when GoL goes global too... could change the 'You are' bit into: 'You like being...' followed by a negative variant too... :-) J.
JulianT, Apr 18, 2007 @ 18:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
The point of the questions on the registration form is to allow/force people to introduce themselves, and to add some info about themselves.

We would rather have 100 members who really want to be part of a community, and take the time to introduce themselves on their profiles, than 10,000 members who cant be bothered to spend 3 minutes filling out their profiles.

We dont want to make the registration easier, we want to make it more useful.

Oded
The point of the questions on the registration form is to allow/force people to introduce themselves, and to add some info about themselves.

We would rather have 100 members who really want to be part of a community, and take the time to introduce themselves on their profiles, than 10,000 members who cant be bothered to spend 3 minutes filling out their profiles.

We dont want to make the registration easier, we want to make it more useful.

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Apr 19, 2007 @ 14:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
1. I'd just added my penny's worth and sent it... and found I'd lost the text as my time had expired once and then again. this is my third try to offer an input.
2. I think many people can be shy in the beginning. Maybe regular reminders when they log on? Not everyone can think (or has time to think) of appropriate answers straight away.
3. Personally, I like the idea of skills/expertise, provided it doesn't turn into a CV. I once came across an interesting association - and bear in mind that this was during a big recession - that was trying to match up people with skills/expertise to exchange. Wouldn't this contribute to a community feeling in a more meaningful way than artificial answers written on the spur of the moment??
1. I'd just added my penny's worth and sent it... and found I'd lost the text as my time had expired once and then again. this is my third try to offer an input.
2. I think many people can be shy in the beginning. Maybe regular reminders when they log on? Not everyone can think (or has time to think) of appropriate answers straight away.
3. Personally, I like the idea of skills/expertise, provided it doesn't turn into a CV. I once came across an interesting association - and bear in mind that this was during a big recession - that was trying to match up people with skills/expertise to exchange. Wouldn't this contribute to a community feeling in a more meaningful way than artificial answers written on the spur of the moment??
Carana, Apr 19, 2007 @ 20:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19
Could be very interesting and provide a lot of insight into the person
Could be very interesting and provide a lot of insight into the person
tiffany, Apr 19, 2007 @ 22:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20
...Had the same prob a few months ago, but it seems to be alright now.... While 'that' happened, I used to 'copy' it, then send it, and if it hadn't worked properly, I did the whole thing again, but 'pasted' instead of typing... If in doubt... COPY! :-) J.
...Had the same prob a few months ago, but it seems to be alright now.... While 'that' happened, I used to 'copy' it, then send it, and if it hadn't worked properly, I did the whole thing again, but 'pasted' instead of typing... If in doubt... COPY! :-) J.
JulianT, Apr 19, 2007 @ 23:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

I agree with folks above who suggest that the profile should be useful, informative and helpful to the goals of GenevaOnline, rather than easy and boring.

Here are some additional suggestions

- what activities or events would you like to organize and/or participate in the next three months? (fill in and/or add check boxes like the site has for hobbies; would make people update their profiles; also encourage other GoL'ers to spend a bit more time reading someone profiles and send invites)

And some questions that tell a bit about the personality and that could be conversation starters between GoL'ers when they meet the first time. Questions such as:

- My favorite books & movies are...
- The places I have travelled are...
- I have hiked / done water-sports in...
- Of all the hobbies, my two most favorite hobbies are...
etc.

I agree with folks above who suggest that the profile should be useful, informative and helpful to the goals of GenevaOnline, rather than easy and boring.

Here are some additional suggestions

- what activities or events would you like to organize and/or participate in the next three months? (fill in and/or add check boxes like the site has for hobbies; would make people update their profiles; also encourage other GoL'ers to spend a bit more time reading someone profiles and send invites)

And some questions that tell a bit about the personality and that could be conversation starters between GoL'ers when they meet the first time. Questions such as:

- My favorite books & movies are...
- The places I have travelled are...
- I have hiked / done water-sports in...
- Of all the hobbies, my two most favorite hobbies are...
etc.

colorado, Apr 20, 2007 @ 23:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22
...the way it is, keeps everything short & simple - no need to rack your brain to much - and anyway, with time you get to know the others... :-) J.
...the way it is, keeps everything short & simple - no need to rack your brain to much - and anyway, with time you get to know the others... :-) J.
JulianT, Apr 21, 2007 @ 03:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23
... even if not often.
I love the Geneva is great/sucks lines. They are really relevant to a community born to make Geneva more friendly...
I understand the problem is that when growing beyond Geneva this is not relevant to all anymore, but you may replace it with the same question re: the the place where they live.
(-Living in: "Sidney"
-Present your city: "Sidney" is great/sucks for...)
... even if not often.
I love the Geneva is great/sucks lines. They are really relevant to a community born to make Geneva more friendly...
I understand the problem is that when growing beyond Geneva this is not relevant to all anymore, but you may replace it with the same question re: the the place where they live.
(-Living in: "Sidney"
-Present your city: "Sidney" is great/sucks for...)

Stef__Granny, Apr 21, 2007 @ 11:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24
What about asking for crazy travel stories? Or maybe what's the first thing they want to do when they go out in Geneva, what are they looking for...that might help people get together if they both have an interest in, um, studying two-headed turtles or anything equally random. I think it's all about connecting with people, so let's make it as easy as possible.
What about asking for crazy travel stories? Or maybe what's the first thing they want to do when they go out in Geneva, what are they looking for...that might help people get together if they both have an interest in, um, studying two-headed turtles or anything equally random. I think it's all about connecting with people, so let's make it as easy as possible.
Kat6628, Apr 23, 2007 @ 11:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25
A. is fine.
B. Don't ask me.
C. I have a lot of skills (team player, team builder, ha) but maybe among 9566 there are better experts. Very embarrassing question.
D. When I scrolled down these questions I thought I would say "bullshit" for this one... and now I am nearly excited.
E. I prefer not to tell you.
A. is fine.
B. Don't ask me.
C. I have a lot of skills (team player, team builder, ha) but maybe among 9566 there are better experts. Very embarrassing question.
D. When I scrolled down these questions I thought I would say "bullshit" for this one... and now I am nearly excited.
E. I prefer not to tell you.
careful, Apr 29, 2007 @ 02:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
29 Replies | 3137 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form