Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > GoL '2000 Member' Party - YOUR advice?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
GoL '2000 Member' Party - YOUR advice?
Its time (so quick!) for GoL's '2000 Member' Party, on Saturday march 11.

WE'D LIKE TO ASK FOR YOUR ADVICE ON 3 PARTY QUESTIONS:

1. How to make the party super special.
You know the people are going to be super friendly, but is there anything special you want us to do?

2. What catchy GoL text to print on the party T-Shirts.
We'll print special T-Shirts for the party volunteers and (limited) guests. Any catchy text ideas? Can be funny or serious, but has to be GoL style.

3. Who should receive the GoL Oscars during the party.
At each official GoL party, we recognize 5 GoL members who live the friendly GoL spirit and contribute to making the community a more friendly place. Who do YOU think should get the oscars, and why?

Thanks alot and stay tuned for more details.

Oded
The text you are quoting:
Its time (so quick!) for GoL's '2000 Member' Party, on Saturday march 11.

WE'D LIKE TO ASK FOR YOUR ADVICE ON 3 PARTY QUESTIONS:

You know the people are going to be super friendly, but is there anything special you want us to do?

We'll print special T-Shirts for the party volunteers and (limited) guests. Any catchy text ideas? Can be funny or serious, but has to be GoL style.

At each official GoL party, we recognize 5 GoL members who live the friendly GoL spirit and contribute to making the community a more friendly place. Who do YOU think should get the oscars, and why?

Thanks alot and stay tuned for more details.

Oded
SiteAdmin OdedMar 1, 2006 @ 20:09
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

51 Replies | 3173 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: GoL '2000 Member' Party - YOUR advice?
Post 1

1. Ideas on how to make the party really special.

Might be obvious and probabily will start again the long discussion about smoking, but I'd like to have the party smoke free
Having a Theme!! We spoke about it after the last party, and I think I'll be cool having a theme. Nothing too complex or expensive to do, but the eighties or the 90ies would be fun :)
Gadgets :) again, this has been talked :)

2. Ideas on what we should print on the T-Shirts
First comment: T-shirt for the volunteers and the others not only for men's please! What I mean is that having some more "fitting" t-shirt then the once we got last time would be nice (dont' know how much it will cost)
Having some customized t-shirt for more active memeber like: A T-shirt with a plastic duck printed on the ElGuiri, one with with beer and a cup for our all-time-winners of drinking competition Brogsta, ..something even a small logo/image/print that is typical of a member (and if u need help in fidning the logos/pictures etc I volunteer to help)
Having something projected on the walls- pictures of memembers, pictures of events with all the funny comments on the side :)

This might be a stupid one: but a Did U know ... quiz on Gol and Members and Activities will be nice :)

and last I re-launch Hobbes Idea of "announcing" people when they enter : with their "description" or titles :)

3. Who you think should receive the GoL Oscars.
Have a couple of ideas on that that I'll email u.

Val - all for now.

1. Ideas on how to make the party really special.

Might be obvious and probabily will start again the long discussion about smoking, but I'd like to have the party smoke free
Having a Theme!! We spoke about it after the last party, and I think I'll be cool having a theme. Nothing too complex or expensive to do, but the eighties or the 90ies would be fun :)
Gadgets :) again, this has been talked :)

2. Ideas on what we should print on the T-Shirts
First comment: T-shirt for the volunteers and the others not only for men's please! What I mean is that having some more "fitting" t-shirt then the once we got last time would be nice (dont' know how much it will cost)
Having some customized t-shirt for more active memeber like: A T-shirt with a plastic duck printed on the ElGuiri, one with with beer and a cup for our all-time-winners of drinking competition Brogsta, ..something even a small logo/image/print that is typical of a member (and if u need help in fidning the logos/pictures etc I volunteer to help)
Having something projected on the walls- pictures of memembers, pictures of events with all the funny comments on the side :)

This might be a stupid one: but a Did U know ... quiz on Gol and Members and Activities will be nice :)

and last I re-launch Hobbes Idea of "announcing" people when they enter : with their "description" or titles :)

3. Who you think should receive the GoL Oscars.
Have a couple of ideas on that that I'll email u.

Val - all for now.

Hoiling, Mar 1, 2006 @ 20:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
1- Some side activities with symbolic prizes.
- for the T. shirts: perhaps a GOL logo like a smiling face with the following wordings within: G.O.______________ Welcomes u any time. or we are the freindlyyy & smileyyyy GOL members.
1- Some side activities with symbolic prizes.
- for the T. shirts: perhaps a GOL logo like a smiling face with the following wordings within: G.O.______________ Welcomes u any time. or we are the freindlyyy & smileyyyy GOL members.
adel, Mar 1, 2006 @ 22:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Def no smoking, that was great last time.
Ideas for a quiz or something interactive could be nice, how about something just on Geneva - this then might be useful for lots of new people who are learning about the city. Would not need to be compulsory, but maybe have 5 or 6 teams, probably would not last long, but give people a chance to get into teams with folks they don't know.
Or if that's too much work, just a regular music quiz or something...just to get everyone in the party mood!
I am ready to help - just shout!!
Def no smoking, that was great last time.
Ideas for a quiz or something interactive could be nice, how about something just on Geneva - this then might be useful for lots of new people who are learning about the city. Would not need to be compulsory, but maybe have 5 or 6 teams, probably would not last long, but give people a chance to get into teams with folks they don't know.
Or if that's too much work, just a regular music quiz or something...just to get everyone in the party mood!
I am ready to help - just shout!!
Serena, Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
and it was not inted as something serious, more like a "caricature" :) to make fun of the more active memeber - like Hoiling as known as mean on the spammer and ... get a job u girl!!!
Everything that helps integrating and socializing will be nice :)
And for the Oscars ... I know that people that gets more votes will get one, I personally would like to see some people that didn't get one already (nothing against them, I love them too ... but it'll be nice for the others) ... so if they really gets lots of Votes ... why don't we give some more Oscars to "new" winners?

Val - the spammer that will get a job soon!
and it was not inted as something serious, more like a "caricature" :) to make fun of the more active memeber - like Hoiling as known as mean on the spammer and ... get a job u girl!!!
Everything that helps integrating and socializing will be nice :)
And for the Oscars ... I know that people that gets more votes will get one, I personally would like to see some people that didn't get one already (nothing against them, I love them too ... but it'll be nice for the others) ... so if they really gets lots of Votes ... why don't we give some more Oscars to "new" winners?

Val - the spammer that will get a job soon!
Hoiling, Mar 2, 2006 @ 13:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
And I love the idea of a non-smoking party.
And I think that member acquarius should be nominated for a GOL oscar, he puts a lot of effort into organising the ski and fondue nights.
And I love the idea of a non-smoking party.
And I think that member acquarius should be nominated for a GOL oscar, he puts a lot of effort into organising the ski and fondue nights.
Brogsta, Mar 2, 2006 @ 13:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
I am a bit sceptical, especially if we do it on Geneva and not GOL ... I like quizzes and this kind of stuf, but we have to do it either at the very beginning of the party or ... people will get kind of "bored" (happened to me and more then once) ... with a "we want to talk/dance/have fun/leave us alone/we don't care about a Genevabasedquiz attitude :)
Just a suggestion thou!

Val
I am a bit sceptical, especially if we do it on Geneva and not GOL ... I like quizzes and this kind of stuf, but we have to do it either at the very beginning of the party or ... people will get kind of "bored" (happened to me and more then once) ... with a "we want to talk/dance/have fun/leave us alone/we don't care about a Genevabasedquiz attitude :)
Just a suggestion thou!

Val
Hoiling, Mar 2, 2006 @ 13:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
I would suggest, instead of invisible stamps, to give out rubber bracelets with "www.genevaonline.ch" logo to everybody at the entrance. It would be a cool and pretty inexpensive gift (details on demand). I assume people would love to hang around with it during the evening and the coming days... and one size fits all (even ducks !)

"I survived Y2K
and
www.GenevaOnline.ch
Member party !"

- Katri, for her fresh fish diary
- Keleko, for joining so many parties and being a nice guy (put it "living the GOL spirit" and "high fidelity to the community" if you prefer)
- Lentil, for organising several weel-being events
- Corinne, for organising several get sick events
- Hoiling, for being very active on the forum and organising various events (Uno, pubopoly, etc)

And an extra one for
- Member 2000, for bringing us another cool party !

( Btw, I've got my liste ready for Member 3000 party already :
- Member number one, because we encourage risk takers and trend setters
- Serena, just because a party with her is more fun
- Mr Sark, for his general commmitment to GOL
- BetZ, for being such a great party budy
- Member 3000, for bringing us another cool party !)
I would suggest, instead of invisible stamps, to give out rubber bracelets with "www.genevaonline.ch" logo to everybody at the entrance. It would be a cool and pretty inexpensive gift (details on demand). I assume people would love to hang around with it during the evening and the coming days... and one size fits all (even ducks !)

"I survived Y2K
and
www.GenevaOnline.ch
Member party !"

- Katri, for her fresh fish diary
- Keleko, for joining so many parties and being a nice guy (put it "living the GOL spirit" and "high fidelity to the community" if you prefer)
- Lentil, for organising several weel-being events
- Corinne, for organising several get sick events
- Hoiling, for being very active on the forum and organising various events (Uno, pubopoly, etc)

And an extra one for
- Member 2000, for bringing us another cool party !

( Btw, I've got my liste ready for Member 3000 party already :
- Member number one, because we encourage risk takers and trend setters
- Serena, just because a party with her is more fun
- Mr Sark, for his general commmitment to GOL
- BetZ, for being such a great party budy
- Member 3000, for bringing us another cool party !)
Hobbes, Mar 2, 2006 @ 16:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Everyone is posting their nominations so ... here they go, for this round ...

Corinne: For organzing not 1 but 2 PubCrawls - and being a tremendous help in organizing the PubOpoly!!

Lovethiscity: For making our Valentine's day better :)

Mr-Sarks: for doing a lot of "underground" activities ... he's not always posting events or answers but he's everywhere, always friendly, up for a party dedicated ... and ...well I think he deserves one even thou he's not that often "visible" online

Hobbes - (not because of family business) but for all the technical feedback he always gives :)

Katri for sharing her pain with us in her diary!

I skipped some of the people that already got an Oscar last time (so no offense mates!) and I am not voting for myself of course.

For the 3000 Party I have my Personal List of Nominees
BETZ and BETC for being the BEST BUDDY (both for parting and NON) that u can ever wish to have in Geneva (and u get 2 with the price of 1)
Serena, cause her laugh is contagious!!
and GRANNY just because we love him :)

and .. well ... I guess that's it :)

Val - finally back!! (and posting after hobbes!)
Everyone is posting their nominations so ... here they go, for this round ...

Corinne: For organzing not 1 but 2 PubCrawls - and being a tremendous help in organizing the PubOpoly!!

Lovethiscity: For making our Valentine's day better :)

Mr-Sarks: for doing a lot of "underground" activities ... he's not always posting events or answers but he's everywhere, always friendly, up for a party dedicated ... and ...well I think he deserves one even thou he's not that often "visible" online

Hobbes - (not because of family business) but for all the technical feedback he always gives :)

Katri for sharing her pain with us in her diary!

I skipped some of the people that already got an Oscar last time (so no offense mates!) and I am not voting for myself of course.

For the 3000 Party I have my Personal List of Nominees
BETZ and BETC for being the BEST BUDDY (both for parting and NON) that u can ever wish to have in Geneva (and u get 2 with the price of 1)
Serena, cause her laugh is contagious!!
and GRANNY just because we love him :)

and .. well ... I guess that's it :)

Val - finally back!! (and posting after hobbes!)
Hoiling, Mar 2, 2006 @ 16:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
I sent by email to SiteAdmin earlier today. Whoever it is who makes the final decision I certainly don’t envy them the task!

I go with everyone else on the no-smoking element of the party (don’t forget the lollipops!) and like the idea of GOL bracelets so that everyone gets a little memento of the evening. Also like the idea of a theme – how about a colour? The GOL colour seems to be red so everyone could wear sthing red to emphasise the warmth and friendly nature of GOL members? For text on the T-shirts, how about “GOL 2006+ member party” ;) for GOL is certainly here to stay!
I sent by email to SiteAdmin earlier today. Whoever it is who makes the final decision I certainly don’t envy them the task!

I go with everyone else on the no-smoking element of the party (don’t forget the lollipops!) and like the idea of GOL bracelets so that everyone gets a little memento of the evening. Also like the idea of a theme – how about a colour? The GOL colour seems to be red so everyone could wear sthing red to emphasise the warmth and friendly nature of GOL members? For text on the T-shirts, how about “GOL 2006+ member party” ;) for GOL is certainly here to stay!

lentil, Mar 2, 2006 @ 17:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Tigs and Phoebe for the Best Chinese New Year in Geneva!!
Tigs and Phoebe for the Best Chinese New Year in Geneva!!
Hoiling, Mar 2, 2006 @ 18:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
That sounds terrific, and could become a cult item. It sounds expensice tho Hobbes...will contact you seperatly to see if we can make this happen. Thanks!
That sounds terrific, and could become a cult item. It sounds expensice tho Hobbes...will contact you seperatly to see if we can make this happen. Thanks!
Nir Ofek, Mar 2, 2006 @ 18:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
for what I recall :) and I saw them .. they are CUTE!!
For the rest... RED is the Color!!

Val
for what I recall :) and I saw them .. they are CUTE!!
For the rest... RED is the Color!!

Val
Hoiling, Mar 2, 2006 @ 18:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
Non smoking it is indeed.
Non smoking it is indeed.
Nir Ofek, Mar 2, 2006 @ 18:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
we thoght of doing a 'red party', to go with the GoL color, but thoght red might not be a favourite clothes color for many folks...

what do you guys think?

any more theme ideas?

Thanks!
we thoght of doing a 'red party', to go with the GoL color, but thoght red might not be a favourite clothes color for many folks...

what do you guys think?

any more theme ideas?

Thanks!
Nir Ofek, Mar 2, 2006 @ 18:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
so I'd Say YES! but also for more practical reasons ... u don't need to all dressed in red, but just have a red item :) and that it feasible for everyone!!

Val - the red girl
so I'd Say YES! but also for more practical reasons ... u don't need to all dressed in red, but just have a red item :) and that it feasible for everyone!!

Val - the red girl
Hoiling, Mar 2, 2006 @ 18:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
Is it possible to post a warning up of when 'registering' will occur? It's great if we can all be on line at the time of any major announcement, but for those who can't by the time they can it could be full :( At least this way I'd know to put it in my diary as I dont' want to miss this one!
Is it possible to post a warning up of when 'registering' will occur? It's great if we can all be on line at the time of any major announcement, but for those who can't by the time they can it could be full :( At least this way I'd know to put it in my diary as I dont' want to miss this one!
lovethiscity, Mar 2, 2006 @ 19:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
I dind't get it, or at least ...I think I get it (since I have experienced something similar myself when offline for the weekends) ... can u please explain the issue a bit more? I don't think we need to register to the party, do we???

Val - working hard today
I dind't get it, or at least ...I think I get it (since I have experienced something similar myself when offline for the weekends) ... can u please explain the issue a bit more? I don't think we need to register to the party, do we???

Val - working hard today
Hoiling, Mar 2, 2006 @ 19:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
Oh, it may be be who has misunderstood. I was assuming there is a limit of the # of people able to attend the big parties and that somehow there may be pre-registering/signing-up/or buying of tickets. And since it will be soooooooooooooooo popular to do so, if that's to happen could there be a mini-warning of the day registrations/signing-up/tickets will be accepted? This way it's not by luck one might be on at the right time to get a chance to sign up. Rather, if I know when the registering/sign-up/purchase opens, I'd put it in my diary and be online at the right time to get a spot. E
Oh, it may be be who has misunderstood. I was assuming there is a limit of the # of people able to attend the big parties and that somehow there may be pre-registering/signing-up/or buying of tickets. And since it will be soooooooooooooooo popular to do so, if that's to happen could there be a mini-warning of the day registrations/signing-up/tickets will be accepted? This way it's not by luck one might be on at the right time to get a chance to sign up. Rather, if I know when the registering/sign-up/purchase opens, I'd put it in my diary and be online at the right time to get a spot. E
lovethiscity, Mar 2, 2006 @ 19:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19
the official GOL parties (like the 1500) where on "first come first served" base till the club is full ... for the other activities... I'd also love having a registration day (for the big ones!)

Thanks for the clarification!
the official GOL parties (like the 1500) where on "first come first served" base till the club is full ... for the other activities... I'd also love having a registration day (for the big ones!)

Thanks for the clarification!
Hoiling, Mar 2, 2006 @ 19:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20
Great - I'll be there early no matter what :)
Great - I'll be there early no matter what :)
lovethiscity, Mar 2, 2006 @ 19:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21
I - What makes a party special?`

The people are there... so what we need is music and drinks:

Music: Let's finish with the 80s stuff....How about moving forward to the 90's? Soup dragons, Live, EMF, Vannila Ice, C&C music factory...

Drinks: A special drink for a good price makes the party better. How about a good pina colada (Everyone likes it) or a special GOL punch?

II - T-shirt

"NOT bored in Geneva" and at the back "Geneva online"

III - Oscar

I think it could be cool to give indications for "strangers". So how about:
- Best post
- Most original activity
- Funniest picture
- Most original profile and etc...

I - What makes a party special?`

The people are there... so what we need is music and drinks:

Music: Let's finish with the 80s stuff....How about moving forward to the 90's? Soup dragons, Live, EMF, Vannila Ice, C&C music factory...

Drinks: A special drink for a good price makes the party better. How about a good pina colada (Everyone likes it) or a special GOL punch?

II - T-shirt

"NOT bored in Geneva" and at the back "Geneva online"

III - Oscar

I think it could be cool to give indications for "strangers". So how about:
- Best post
- Most original activity
- Funniest picture
- Most original profile and etc...

zenbrain, Mar 2, 2006 @ 19:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22
Less "cliquy", so to say ! Nice idea.
Less "cliquy", so to say ! Nice idea.
Hobbes, Mar 2, 2006 @ 21:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23
i prefer black, but it would pretty much look like a funeral with 300 ppl dressed in black. maybe i will put on a red tie. ;)
i prefer black, but it would pretty much look like a funeral with 300 ppl dressed in black. maybe i will put on a red tie. ;)
Mister_Sark, Mar 3, 2006 @ 04:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24
It will indeed be 1st come 1st serve, but that should be OK, as the location we've selected fits 500 folks. And if there's issues, we take over the street too...(-:

I cant wait for this party, and for meeting so many of the GoLers I just know from the PC...like you Estelle!
It will indeed be 1st come 1st serve, but that should be OK, as the location we've selected fits 500 folks. And if there's issues, we take over the street too...(-:

I cant wait for this party, and for meeting so many of the GoLers I just know from the PC...like you Estelle!

Nir Ofek, Mar 3, 2006 @ 11:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25
and alreayd have my list for
Funniest Post
Best Profile
and Cutest Picture :)

Val
and alreayd have my list for
Funniest Post
Best Profile
and Cutest Picture :)

Val
Hoiling, Mar 3, 2006 @ 12:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26
I like it, nice idea. so if we go by the criteria types that LatinCool suggested (funniest pic, best profile, etc), who would you nominate?

Nir
I like it, nice idea. so if we go by the criteria types that LatinCool suggested (funniest pic, best profile, etc), who would you nominate?

Nir

Nir Ofek, Mar 3, 2006 @ 13:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27
Sounds great and I'm looking forward. On the SalsaFlash website, I'm going to post this information in the agenda. I have several articles about GOL's activities and I will refer them. With some explanation on GOL this can drive you some new members.

Also some salsa freaks are already GOL members.

It will be on

http://salsa.tla.ch/parties.htm

Bye for now

Christian
Sounds great and I'm looking forward. On the SalsaFlash website, I'm going to post this information in the agenda. I have several articles about GOL's activities and I will refer them. With some explanation on GOL this can drive you some new members.

Also some salsa freaks are already GOL members.

It will be on

http://salsa.tla.ch/parties.htm

Bye for now

Christian

chris22, Mar 3, 2006 @ 14:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28
In order to make the choice easier, I propose some names:

I. Funniest picture
Baldman
Ross_alike
Paulap007
alec
fishintree
bedrock
FrogKing
Addi
Choutte
Vero
Fabb
Jordan23

II. Most original Moto
Nancy: diagonally parked in a parallel universe… dude
Albinolatino: In God we trust, everybody else pays cash
Rosie: I love Jerry Springer and I’m not ashamed
Angus: Welsh – but the sheep rumours are untrue
Bobyn: I can eat fifty eggs
Insektokutor: Getthegirl,killthebaddies,savetheentireplanet.

Please include some others to make it easier to choose.
In order to make the choice easier, I propose some names:

I. Funniest picture
Baldman
Ross_alike
Paulap007
alec
fishintree
bedrock
FrogKing
Addi
Choutte
Vero
Fabb
Jordan23

II. Most original Moto
Nancy: diagonally parked in a parallel universe… dude
Albinolatino: In God we trust, everybody else pays cash
Rosie: I love Jerry Springer and I’m not ashamed
Angus: Welsh – but the sheep rumours are untrue
Bobyn: I can eat fifty eggs
Insektokutor: Getthegirl,killthebaddies,savetheentireplanet.

Please include some others to make it easier to choose.

zenbrain, Mar 3, 2006 @ 16:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29
I look terrible in red....and own none
I look terrible in red....and own none
Jillybeano, Mar 3, 2006 @ 17:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30
BEST MOTTO:
Stef (aka GRANNY): S'ei place, ei lice (If you like it, it's licit)
Hobbes: I can't cook tuna fish sandwiches... who cares ?
(for the ones that know Calvin and Hobbes)
Sherri:Please ask my Granny first
BetZ:A diamond in the rough = unfaceted cubic carbon

BEST POST: Betz review of the Xmas Party and ... Luca's "Is romanticism Dead?"

Most Original Activity:
I think Pubopoly - but since it's one of mines... I wont' vote for that
FLASHMOBS!!!

Funniest pictures - need to look at them with more attention

Val
BEST MOTTO:
Stef (aka GRANNY): S'ei place, ei lice (If you like it, it's licit)
Hobbes: I can't cook tuna fish sandwiches... who cares ?
(for the ones that know Calvin and Hobbes)
Sherri:Please ask my Granny first
BetZ:A diamond in the rough = unfaceted cubic carbon

BEST POST: Betz review of the Xmas Party and ... Luca's "Is romanticism Dead?"

Most Original Activity:
I think Pubopoly - but since it's one of mines... I wont' vote for that
FLASHMOBS!!!

Funniest pictures - need to look at them with more attention

Val
Hoiling, Mar 3, 2006 @ 17:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31
like a red hairpin or a red whatever ... so u'll have ur bit of red too :p

Val - enough red accessorizes to feed all the GOL ladies
like a red hairpin or a red whatever ... so u'll have ur bit of red too :p

Val - enough red accessorizes to feed all the GOL ladies
Hoiling, Mar 3, 2006 @ 17:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32
The idea of having oscars for the best pic, posting etc....is indeed great. But we have to keep in mind that the oscars are supposed to reward. What you proposed is only about online activities.
I think that GOL is about both online activities and organising stuff, meeting new people for real etc...and the oscars should reflect both aspects.

The idea of having oscars for the best pic, posting etc....is indeed great. But we have to keep in mind that the oscars are supposed to reward. What you proposed is only about online activities.
I think that GOL is about both online activities and organising stuff, meeting new people for real etc...and the oscars should reflect both aspects.

VeroB, Mar 3, 2006 @ 19:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33
... as the 2000th member just signed up !! Congrats to him/her !!
... as the 2000th member just signed up !! Congrats to him/her !!
Gyom, Mar 3, 2006 @ 19:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34
Are we giving the oscars as a reward for what? and to whom?
Cause we have a limited amount of oscars and of course if we consider the people that network and organize... well... then we need to give the oscars to the same people as last time, since they are still organizing. But.
But there are other people out there that do less or "less visible" things and this way they'll never get a racognition (cauze we have always 5 oscars!!)
So... I think that awarding someone because it's original and put some effort on the on-line bit of this community writing interesting thigns ... it's a good trade off.

Val
Are we giving the oscars as a reward for what? and to whom?
Cause we have a limited amount of oscars and of course if we consider the people that network and organize... well... then we need to give the oscars to the same people as last time, since they are still organizing. But.
But there are other people out there that do less or "less visible" things and this way they'll never get a racognition (cauze we have always 5 oscars!!)
So... I think that awarding someone because it's original and put some effort on the on-line bit of this community writing interesting thigns ... it's a good trade off.

Val
Hoiling, Mar 4, 2006 @ 20:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35
We should give Oscars to people who organised worst events; the ones where 20 people registered and no one shown, pic-nics on rainy days, skiing events in august, visit of closed for refurnishing museums, dinners that went so wrong everybody left... you see the picture.

"Why rewarding THAT ?!" you may ask. Answer's dead simple:
Poeple who organized great events already had their reward enjoying them !
We should give Oscars to people who organised worst events; the ones where 20 people registered and no one shown, pic-nics on rainy days, skiing events in august, visit of closed for refurnishing museums, dinners that went so wrong everybody left... you see the picture.

"Why rewarding THAT ?!" you may ask. Answer's dead simple:
Poeple who organized great events already had their reward enjoying them !
Hobbes, Mar 4, 2006 @ 20:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36
;-D
;-D
Hobbes, Mar 4, 2006 @ 20:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37
Could I borrow you some lipstick please ?
Could I borrow you some lipstick please ?
Hobbes, Mar 4, 2006 @ 20:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38
and red name badges (and/or red bracelets?) could be given to every GOLer as they enter? That way people are under no pressure to wear something red but will still have something red to reflect the GOL spirit. A small prize could be offered to the person spotted wearing the most original red item though!
and red name badges (and/or red bracelets?) could be given to every GOLer as they enter? That way people are under no pressure to wear something red but will still have something red to reflect the GOL spirit. A small prize could be offered to the person spotted wearing the most original red item though!
lentil, Mar 4, 2006 @ 23:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39
I was chatting to a new French-speaking GOLer this morning and she was under the impression that the 2000+ member party is full. She thought it was like every other activity where you have to register and was very insistent until I explained to her that the “Full” sign only referred to volunteers GOLers who would be doing the welcoming.
Maybe she is the only one thinking like this but maybe not? And maybe those who are not clear may not read your post. As a precaution is there anyway you can make it clear e.g. on the homepage that the party is open to all GOL members on a 1st come 1st served basis. We want to make sure we have people to welcome ...
I was chatting to a new French-speaking GOLer this morning and she was under the impression that the 2000+ member party is full. She thought it was like every other activity where you have to register and was very insistent until I explained to her that the “Full” sign only referred to volunteers GOLers who would be doing the welcoming.
Maybe she is the only one thinking like this but maybe not? And maybe those who are not clear may not read your post. As a precaution is there anyway you can make it clear e.g. on the homepage that the party is open to all GOL members on a 1st come 1st served basis. We want to make sure we have people to welcome ...
lentil, Mar 4, 2006 @ 23:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40
and I have a proposal: 1 UNO evening where NO one even played UNO ;p

Val
and I have a proposal: 1 UNO evening where NO one even played UNO ;p

Val
Hoiling, Mar 5, 2006 @ 13:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41
God Idea Lentil. We will advertise this soon.
God Idea Lentil. We will advertise this soon.
SiteAdmin Oded, Mar 6, 2006 @ 13:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42
Sari: I wanted to change the world, but no babysitter :)

Just Brilliant!!
Sari: I wanted to change the world, but no babysitter :)

Just Brilliant!!
Hoiling, Mar 6, 2006 @ 15:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43
recognizing people who live the community spirit of 'friendly people meeting and helping other friendly people'.

Members can live the spirit in many ways: posting helpful stuff on forums, organising events, helping others (see the newest post on 'admin news' for 2 great examples of this).

We also want to involve other members, who are less active tho. So we'll do 2 things:

1. Award the Oscars to the people who live the spirit. We already have many candidates, selected by the community.
2. Have a short quiz (with prizes!) on some of the other members who have funny pics/motos/etc.

How does this sound?
recognizing people who live the community spirit of 'friendly people meeting and helping other friendly people'.

Members can live the spirit in many ways: posting helpful stuff on forums, organising events, helping others (see the newest post on 'admin news' for 2 great examples of this).

We also want to involve other members, who are less active tho. So we'll do 2 things:

1. Award the Oscars to the people who live the spirit. We already have many candidates, selected by the community.
2. Have a short quiz (with prizes!) on some of the other members who have funny pics/motos/etc.

How does this sound?
Nir Ofek, Mar 6, 2006 @ 19:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44
Nice mix, go 4 it !
Nice mix, go 4 it !
Hobbes, Mar 6, 2006 @ 20:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45
You nominate granny (Granny is me, for whoever doesn't know it) for giving wise advice to make GOL an effective dating group without breaking the rule of the non-dating site ;-)
I just want the best for you, little grandchildren! (By the way, I wonder if I gave YOU a good advice, with the nasty stuffed, philosopher tiger... ;-)
Baci
You nominate granny (Granny is me, for whoever doesn't know it) for giving wise advice to make GOL an effective dating group without breaking the rule of the non-dating site ;-)
I just want the best for you, little grandchildren! (By the way, I wonder if I gave YOU a good advice, with the nasty stuffed, philosopher tiger... ;-)
Baci
Stef__Granny, Mar 8, 2006 @ 12:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46
:) u know I can't resist nasty stuffed philosopher tigers :p
being "Her Nastiness" myself... and yep that's true...
I want to give Granny a OSCAR for the community spirit he puts in advicing he many granchildern. All of them. It's SO good that there's an application and waiting list to apply for "next granchildern"!

LOVE GRANNY!!
:) u know I can't resist nasty stuffed philosopher tigers :p
being "Her Nastiness" myself... and yep that's true...
I want to give Granny a OSCAR for the community spirit he puts in advicing he many granchildern. All of them. It's SO good that there's an application and waiting list to apply for "next granchildern"!

LOVE GRANNY!!
Hoiling, Mar 8, 2006 @ 13:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 47

Today I have written an article on salsaFlash to present GOL and Sindy community, and of course the coming parties. Readers are mainly swiss people speaking french and practicing latin dances.

http://salsa.tla.ch/articles/2006/2006-03-09-genevaonline.htm

Enjoy reading and feedbacks are welcome.

Christian

Today I have written an article on salsaFlash to present GOL and Sindy community, and of course the coming parties. Readers are mainly swiss people speaking french and practicing latin dances.

http://salsa.tla.ch/articles/2006/2006-03-09-genevaonline.htm

Enjoy reading and feedbacks are welcome.

Christian
chris22, Mar 9, 2006 @ 16:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 48
The salsa community in Geneva has a small forum in french. I have also posted an info about the GOL party. You can discover this forum by following

http://www.salsavirus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1567#1567

Bye for now

Christian
The salsa community in Geneva has a small forum in french. I have also posted an info about the GOL party. You can discover this forum by following

http://www.salsavirus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1567#1567

Bye for now

Christian
chris22, Mar 9, 2006 @ 18:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 49
Just to say that I can't wait for tomorrow!!!
Just to say that I can't wait for tomorrow!!!
Barbara_NE, Mar 10, 2006 @ 13:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
51 Replies | 3173 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form