Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > GoL BrainStorming Summary

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
GoL BrainStorming Summary
Hello All

We are currently working on several site improvements, and would love to hear what you think abut several questions that were brought up last week at the GoL Brainstorming session.
By answering these questions (in this forum, or by sending me an email) you will help us improve the site.

1. Do you think we should delete the "Geneva is Great for" and "Geneva Sucks for" sections from the member profiles?
2. Do you have any ideas for a better question we could ask in the profiles? (Ideally, the question would allow people to express themselves and tell the community something interesting)
3. Should we delete the age from the profiles?
4. Should we delete the Marital Status from the profiles?
5. Should only members with a profile photo be able to see the profile photos of other members?
6. Should we delete the username, and require members to sign up using their real names?
7. Should we require a cellphone number from all new people that register (an activation code would be sent to the cellphone provided by sms) in order to make sure that all people who register can only register once?

Thanks alot for your answers folks, and thanks for making Geneva a friendlier place.

Oded for the GoL Gang

The text you are quoting:
Hello All

We are currently working on several site improvements, and would love to hear what you think abut several questions that were brought up last week at the GoL Brainstorming session.
By answering these questions (in this forum, or by sending me an email) you will help us improve the site.

1. Do you think we should delete the "Geneva is Great for" and "Geneva Sucks for" sections from the member profiles?
2. Do you have any ideas for a better question we could ask in the profiles? (Ideally, the question would allow people to express themselves and tell the community something interesting)
5. Should only members with a profile photo be able to see the profile photos of other members?
6. Should we delete the username, and require members to sign up using their real names?
7. Should we require a cellphone number from all new people that register (an activation code would be sent to the cellphone provided by sms) in order to make sure that all people who register can only register once?

Thanks alot for your answers folks, and thanks for making Geneva a friendlier place.

Oded for the GoL Gang

SiteAdmin OdedJul 17, 2006 @ 20:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

22 Replies | 2882 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: GoL BrainStorming Summary
Post 1

NO..keep them..they are unusual questions and the answers are showing also the personality of the person...and his/her knowledge of the town...and some profiles have just hilarious answers...
please..keep

2. Do you have any ideas for a better question we could ask in the profiles?

Not yet..but i will think about it

No..I can help for event creation and planning when you try to gather people of the same age ...was thinking about the dinners for the 30ties organized by VeroB and Pseudo...and the ones for the 40ties by SWISS

No...or yes...and are pro and cons...we discussed about it during the brainstorming...

5. Should only members with a profile photo be able to see the profile photos of other members?.
That would be nice...but there is a risk that the new members never put a photo just because they do not know if others did...
I would rather leave the option for the member to decide if he want to have the photo being public or visible to his friends only

No..I like the idea of the username
- the choice is meaningfull of the personality (well not always..mine sucks, i know!)
- if we use only first name..then we will get thousands of similar names...I already have 2 contacts with the same first name..so no confusion please
- I hope you are not thinking about the last name? I do not want to have my last name published here...there is a risk also to have it appearing in search results on google or other...

- that is an idea..but what about people not having a cell phone at all..or having one with a non swiss number...
- and what about pre-paid subsribtion??

NO..keep them..they are unusual questions and the answers are showing also the personality of the person...and his/her knowledge of the town...and some profiles have just hilarious answers...
please..keep

2. Do you have any ideas for a better question we could ask in the profiles?

Not yet..but i will think about it

No..I can help for event creation and planning when you try to gather people of the same age ...was thinking about the dinners for the 30ties organized by VeroB and Pseudo...and the ones for the 40ties by SWISS

No...or yes...and are pro and cons...we discussed about it during the brainstorming...

5. Should only members with a profile photo be able to see the profile photos of other members?.
That would be nice...but there is a risk that the new members never put a photo just because they do not know if others did...
I would rather leave the option for the member to decide if he want to have the photo being public or visible to his friends only

No..I like the idea of the username
- the choice is meaningfull of the personality (well not always..mine sucks, i know!)
- if we use only first name..then we will get thousands of similar names...I already have 2 contacts with the same first name..so no confusion please
- I hope you are not thinking about the last name? I do not want to have my last name published here...there is a risk also to have it appearing in search results on google or other...

- that is an idea..but what about people not having a cell phone at all..or having one with a non swiss number...
- and what about pre-paid subsribtion??

Sab_ge, Jul 17, 2006 @ 23:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
1. No, only "Geneva sucks for" ;-)
2. "Why did you join GOL for ?"
3. No. For me, age is an important aspect of your personality, like being male, female or a parent
4. Not sure about that. Sure, GOL is not (intended to be) a dating site. Deleting marital status would emphasise on this, which looks fine to me. But I'm afraid flirty persons won't stop flirt, they'll just try and chat anyone, married or not. To me, being able to show "married" or "in a relationship" on one's profile is a great anti-spamm tool. And let's be honest here. We don't want poeple to join GOL to find a girl or a bloke. But existing single GOL members meet and get interested in each others at GOL parties. This is part of life. Knowing easily if that yesterday's cutie's married or not is a good way to avoid unwanted solicitations.So I guess my answer is No
5. Yes. This is fair
6. No. I'm First Tiger Hobbes and will bite anyone pretending I'm not a tiger anymore !
7. No. Some people don't have mobile phones. I wouldn't have joined an unknown (and therfore untrusted) website if I had to give my cellular phone number at first
1. No, only "Geneva sucks for" ;-)
2. "Why did you join GOL for ?"
3. No. For me, age is an important aspect of your personality, like being male, female or a parent
4. Not sure about that. Sure, GOL is not (intended to be) a dating site. Deleting marital status would emphasise on this, which looks fine to me. But I'm afraid flirty persons won't stop flirt, they'll just try and chat anyone, married or not. To me, being able to show "married" or "in a relationship" on one's profile is a great anti-spamm tool. And let's be honest here. We don't want poeple to join GOL to find a girl or a bloke. But existing single GOL members meet and get interested in each others at GOL parties. This is part of life. Knowing easily if that yesterday's cutie's married or not is a good way to avoid unwanted solicitations.So I guess my answer is No
5. Yes. This is fair
6. No. I'm First Tiger Hobbes and will bite anyone pretending I'm not a tiger anymore !
7. No. Some people don't have mobile phones. I wouldn't have joined an unknown (and therfore untrusted) website if I had to give my cellular phone number at first
Hobbes, Jul 18, 2006 @ 13:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

No.

Anwering lots of form questions can be frustrating. Having said that, a fun question might be: what three items would you take with you into solitary confinement? Or, what one book would you take with you to a desert island?

No.

No. These days marriage seems to be more and more rare, let those who are married tell the world about it! In one word :).

Tricky question – initial answer: yes – after all, who are these members with no photo?! People who really don’t have access to digital photo technology? Maybe....

Tricky - but final answer is no. We should keep the username – it’s fun. Most people are not sleazeballs hiding behind usernames and our experience with GOL is that people very quickly give their real names when they post or once a rapport has been established.

(Also, in the past I have had a slightly scary experience with a guy trying to chase me down – not through GOL though. If he had not had my name, he would not have succeeded in freaking me out for more than a year – police will not get involved until there is blood on the floor – sorry but true –T)

We like this idea – makes the system more tight and legit. However, some people, including perhaps short-term GOLers might not have cell phones? Also, please NO promotional SMSs – still use the email system.

On a different note, maybe country of origin should be required? Having said that, people usually end up outing themselves anyway. Just a thought...!

Thanks for asking!
;)
Compiled by Tilda and AnaV

No.

Anwering lots of form questions can be frustrating. Having said that, a fun question might be: what three items would you take with you into solitary confinement? Or, what one book would you take with you to a desert island?

No.

No. These days marriage seems to be more and more rare, let those who are married tell the world about it! In one word :).

Tricky question – initial answer: yes – after all, who are these members with no photo?! People who really don’t have access to digital photo technology? Maybe....

Tricky - but final answer is no. We should keep the username – it’s fun. Most people are not sleazeballs hiding behind usernames and our experience with GOL is that people very quickly give their real names when they post or once a rapport has been established.

(Also, in the past I have had a slightly scary experience with a guy trying to chase me down – not through GOL though. If he had not had my name, he would not have succeeded in freaking me out for more than a year – police will not get involved until there is blood on the floor – sorry but true –T)

We like this idea – makes the system more tight and legit. However, some people, including perhaps short-term GOLers might not have cell phones? Also, please NO promotional SMSs – still use the email system.

On a different note, maybe country of origin should be required? Having said that, people usually end up outing themselves anyway. Just a thought...!

Thanks for asking!
;)
Compiled by Tilda and AnaV
Tilda, Jul 18, 2006 @ 13:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Could be a fun one. People guess it now by the number of messages and the "?userid=" figure on the javascript links. But why not make it public openly ?
Could be a fun one. People guess it now by the number of messages and the "?userid=" figure on the javascript links. But why not make it public openly ?
Hobbes, Jul 18, 2006 @ 14:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I think we should keep it. It's a fun part to fill ... maybe not for newcomers that still don't have an answers ... but ... he can always go back and update it later!

Do u know the list of question u answer when u create ur profile in ur blog? Like .. Favourite mUsic/book/ what keeps u awake at night now, what r u reading, what's on ur ipod ... what's ur biggest regret ... I think there are 100 of questionnair like this and they are fun to fill :)

Indifferent to this point. I don't mind having my age displayed.

Yes, the marital status is more dating-website style. If u put other because u don;t want to disclose urs, ppl might think u have something to hide or that it's unclear ...

yes again. Would make life easier. I know it's not nice but I personally never answer chats from ppl without photo. Unless I know who they are or I've met them in person before.

Nope. I love my username. It an 'expression of me' it's fun ... and I don't want my boss to google my name and find my posts.

Yes, as long as u don't diclose it and it could be usefull to get notice of parties ... on the right date !!

this is all for me.
Vale

I think we should keep it. It's a fun part to fill ... maybe not for newcomers that still don't have an answers ... but ... he can always go back and update it later!

Do u know the list of question u answer when u create ur profile in ur blog? Like .. Favourite mUsic/book/ what keeps u awake at night now, what r u reading, what's on ur ipod ... what's ur biggest regret ... I think there are 100 of questionnair like this and they are fun to fill :)

Indifferent to this point. I don't mind having my age displayed.

Yes, the marital status is more dating-website style. If u put other because u don;t want to disclose urs, ppl might think u have something to hide or that it's unclear ...

yes again. Would make life easier. I know it's not nice but I personally never answer chats from ppl without photo. Unless I know who they are or I've met them in person before.

Nope. I love my username. It an 'expression of me' it's fun ... and I don't want my boss to google my name and find my posts.

Yes, as long as u don't diclose it and it could be usefull to get notice of parties ... on the right date !!

this is all for me.
Vale

Hoiling, Jul 18, 2006 @ 14:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
it seems to be the most popular question after: how long have u been in Geneva ... so it might be fun to post it :)

Vale
it seems to be the most popular question after: how long have u been in Geneva ... so it might be fun to post it :)

Vale
Hoiling, Jul 18, 2006 @ 14:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Yes

Just add the Space to the about section. In the moment you have to scroll to much.

No, why?

No, I know GOL is a not a dating site but if people happen to fall in love, fine. At least now the know that there is hope. ;)

Yes, I like that.

No, why? It's fun to have an alias.

NO

Yes

Just add the Space to the about section. In the moment you have to scroll to much.

No, why?

No, I know GOL is a not a dating site but if people happen to fall in love, fine. At least now the know that there is hope. ;)

Yes, I like that.

No, why? It's fun to have an alias.

NO
Mister_Sark, Jul 18, 2006 @ 17:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Definitely no to insisting on cellphone numbers. I know lots of people who have a work one and try to keep it for that + just limited private. I give mine out really sparingly, after too many hassles with it. I know I'm not alone - this is partly a generation thing, but if you don't want to limit this to under 35's, keep this in min, please!

I can see the point in theory of asking for age, but how useful is it, really? If I'm 18 and want to say I'm 25 I will. If I'm 50 and want to say I'm 30, I will. I think there are better ways for people to find out, like maybe meeting.
Definitely no to insisting on cellphone numbers. I know lots of people who have a work one and try to keep it for that + just limited private. I give mine out really sparingly, after too many hassles with it. I know I'm not alone - this is partly a generation thing, but if you don't want to limit this to under 35's, keep this in min, please!

I can see the point in theory of asking for age, but how useful is it, really? If I'm 18 and want to say I'm 25 I will. If I'm 50 and want to say I'm 30, I will. I think there are better ways for people to find out, like maybe meeting.
Ellen, Jul 18, 2006 @ 20:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
in fact - i like that section and the answers :)

Maybe make the date of "since when" more detailed (month and year)

NO - someone who doent want to show the age is able to choose a non valid (have seen it) so that´s a Age of 0.

YES - this is not a dating site. And i dont mind if someone is single or not if i only want to have a drink or make party!

YES

NO, i want to keep my username ... real names allow others to make "shit" with it!
But for the friends section maybe there should be a field for the real name

YES - should not be too easy and anonym to register here
in fact - i like that section and the answers :)

Maybe make the date of "since when" more detailed (month and year)

NO - someone who doent want to show the age is able to choose a non valid (have seen it) so that´s a Age of 0.

YES - this is not a dating site. And i dont mind if someone is single or not if i only want to have a drink or make party!

YES

NO, i want to keep my username ... real names allow others to make "shit" with it!
But for the friends section maybe there should be a field for the real name

YES - should not be too easy and anonym to register here

doro25, Jul 19, 2006 @ 05:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

NO. I like it; it's where we can find mutual points of similitude and difference... part of showing who we are.

Hmmm... maybe a "List 5 things that you are good at" question?

Yes. Age is an elephant. (grin) sorry... age is irrelevant. I think you are only as old as the person you feel (any 27 year olds out there wanting to be felt?). This site is for people over 25, so there is some point in asking the question, but there is no reason why it should appear.

hmmm... I think maybe yes. While it isn't a bad thing to know if someone is single, it isn't actually all that relevant, this NOT being a dating site.

NO. Only members should be able to see profile photos but thats as restricted as it should get.

NO. Definitely not; although I use my name as my username, many others don't and their usernames are fun and useful.

NO. Mainly because this adds an extra cost to the maintenance of the GOL site.

Kiriel

NO. I like it; it's where we can find mutual points of similitude and difference... part of showing who we are.

Yes. Age is an elephant. (grin) sorry... age is irrelevant. I think you are only as old as the person you feel (any 27 year olds out there wanting to be felt?). This site is for people over 25, so there is some point in asking the question, but there is no reason why it should appear.

hmmm... I think maybe yes. While it isn't a bad thing to know if someone is single, it isn't actually all that relevant, this NOT being a dating site.

NO. Only members should be able to see profile photos but thats as restricted as it should get.

NO. Definitely not; although I use my name as my username, many others don't and their usernames are fun and useful.

NO. Mainly because this adds an extra cost to the maintenance of the GOL site.

Kiriel
Kiriel, Jul 19, 2006 @ 16:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Kiriel as much as I'd love that question .. I am already thinking some of the 'naughty' answeres this could cause!!

Btw .. is the site explicitely for over 25? or is for young professionals? Cause today young professionals (at least my own experience) sometimes starts at 22 ... would be bad having to wait to join GOL .... :)

Val - will be 'legal' in few months.

Kiriel as much as I'd love that question .. I am already thinking some of the 'naughty' answeres this could cause!!

Btw .. is the site explicitely for over 25? or is for young professionals? Cause today young professionals (at least my own experience) sometimes starts at 22 ... would be bad having to wait to join GOL .... :)

Val - will be 'legal' in few months.
Hoiling, Jul 19, 2006 @ 16:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
Val, I had exactly the same thought you had about "what are you good at" ! ;-P

See, Kiriel, Hoiling was so right ! ;-)
Val, I had exactly the same thought you had about "what are you good at" ! ;-P

See, Kiriel, Hoiling was so right ! ;-)
Hobbes, Jul 19, 2006 @ 18:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
for Q7(cellphones) i personally don't have a cell (i know, dark ages), so for those very few people out there who are like me, it would be troublesome. what would you do for those people? plus, people can have more than a phone number (cell, home, work, etc), so i don't see how that cuts down on them signing up just the once. for Q3 (age), i think people are always interested in knowing how old others are, so why not keep it. for Q6 (usernames), i think it adds to the fun. if everyone was their name (and thus, instantly recognisable, which is not a bad thing), we'd a) get confused cos there are a lot of people with the same names and b) it would be less interesting. it's fun to find out where the username came from/why it was chosen. as for Q5 probably, but i don't really think it matters...

for the Geneva is Great for/Sucks for thing, i think it's pretty good. unless you found something equally interesting and short (i know some people already have trouble answering these two questions...), i think you should keep them.

thanks for asking!
for Q7(cellphones) i personally don't have a cell (i know, dark ages), so for those very few people out there who are like me, it would be troublesome. what would you do for those people? plus, people can have more than a phone number (cell, home, work, etc), so i don't see how that cuts down on them signing up just the once. for Q3 (age), i think people are always interested in knowing how old others are, so why not keep it. for Q6 (usernames), i think it adds to the fun. if everyone was their name (and thus, instantly recognisable, which is not a bad thing), we'd a) get confused cos there are a lot of people with the same names and b) it would be less interesting. it's fun to find out where the username came from/why it was chosen. as for Q5 probably, but i don't really think it matters...

for the Geneva is Great for/Sucks for thing, i think it's pretty good. unless you found something equally interesting and short (i know some people already have trouble answering these two questions...), i think you should keep them.

thanks for asking!
Minda, Jul 19, 2006 @ 22:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
So hey, if you are good at it... flaunt it! But you better not be lying, because there will be examinations later, and references may be required. ;-)

As for age.. the current "what is GOL page" specifically says:

"WHO IS THE COMMUNITY FOR
Every friendly person age 25+ who speaks basic English, and wants to meet more friendly people. We screen members closely to avoid axe murders & general Scumbags. "

Kiriel
So hey, if you are good at it... flaunt it! But you better not be lying, because there will be examinations later, and references may be required. ;-)

As for age.. the current "what is GOL page" specifically says:

"WHO IS THE COMMUNITY FOR
Every friendly person age 25+ who speaks basic English, and wants to meet more friendly people. We screen members closely to avoid axe murders & general Scumbags. "

Kiriel
Kiriel, Jul 20, 2006 @ 17:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
for drinking and more sounds good ...and I definetly don't mind having students or young guys around :p

Vale
for drinking and more sounds good ...and I definetly don't mind having students or young guys around :p

Vale
Hoiling, Jul 20, 2006 @ 20:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
YES!

LIKE HOBBES' IDEA OF "IN GOL SINCE".

NO.

NO. BUT LEAVE THE OPTION TO KEEP IT PRIVATE.

NO. LIMITATION TO REGISTERED MEMBERS SEEMS FINE FOR ME.

A CLEAR NO! I WANT TO REMAIN QUIJOTE HERE...

NO.
YES!

LIKE HOBBES' IDEA OF "IN GOL SINCE".

NO.

NO. BUT LEAVE THE OPTION TO KEEP IT PRIVATE.

NO. LIMITATION TO REGISTERED MEMBERS SEEMS FINE FOR ME.

A CLEAR NO! I WANT TO REMAIN QUIJOTE HERE...

NO.
Quijote, Jul 20, 2006 @ 21:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
I will only reply on 2 questions:

I think, there must be a solution for people, coming from Basel, Zurich, Lausanne etc. If you give the possibility for them, 2 choose the city, that should also change the "Basel sucks for" etc. I'm sometimes not shure, if this person speak about Geneva or their "living city", and sometimes I'm not shure, if they know even Geneva. A made this experiance with somebody from Basel.

Yes, and explaining why!! Easier to meet etc. I made it also wrong and no it's to late 2 change....if you're known once...

I see also, they are more and more couples using GOL. Mayby you should open a PROFILE for couples....
I will only reply on 2 questions:

I think, there must be a solution for people, coming from Basel, Zurich, Lausanne etc. If you give the possibility for them, 2 choose the city, that should also change the "Basel sucks for" etc. I'm sometimes not shure, if this person speak about Geneva or their "living city", and sometimes I'm not shure, if they know even Geneva. A made this experiance with somebody from Basel.

Yes, and explaining why!! Easier to meet etc. I made it also wrong and no it's to late 2 change....if you're known once...

I see also, they are more and more couples using GOL. Mayby you should open a PROFILE for couples....

freedy, Jul 21, 2006 @ 14:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
NO. It's a city with good things and bad things just like all the others. I personally find it nice to read opinions of people from different countries and cultures.

I would add this kind of questions:
"What makes you unique ?"
"What is the strangest thing you've ever done?"
"What is the nicest/worst dream you've ever done?"
The answers could be fun instead of the common: snowboarding,reading,travelling...zzzzzzzzzzzz

NO. Why taking away infos...personally nothing to hide

NO. Personally I don't contact members without photos anyway.

NO. You should keep requiring the real name, but why taking away the fun of appearing as "Bat Man"...
Real name could appear somewhere near nickname.

NO. It wouldn't improve the overall quality, actually it could be quite limiting.
NO. It's a city with good things and bad things just like all the others. I personally find it nice to read opinions of people from different countries and cultures.

I would add this kind of questions:
"What makes you unique ?"
"What is the strangest thing you've ever done?"
"What is the nicest/worst dream you've ever done?"
The answers could be fun instead of the common: snowboarding,reading,travelling...zzzzzzzzzzzz

NO. Personally I don't contact members without photos anyway.

NO. You should keep requiring the real name, but why taking away the fun of appearing as "Bat Man"...
Real name could appear somewhere near nickname.

NO. It wouldn't improve the overall quality, actually it could be quite limiting.
Corrado, Jul 22, 2006 @ 02:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19
But we should scan for whatever age scumbags more closely I guess
But we should scan for whatever age scumbags more closely I guess
Hobbes, Jul 24, 2006 @ 14:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20
I would share with pleasure private info - such as my real name, addresse, email, MSNemail and phone number - with people from my friend list / having me on their friend list (if this has to be approved). Could we do that ? It would be so handy. Now I have those infos frmm my existing friends spread all over my GOL inbox, regular inbox, agenda, mobile, etc.

Could we also have an email history per contact person ? I mean, anytime you open an email you'e received from someone, the previous ones show bellow, on anti-chronological order. So, you wouldn't have to go throught your 347 emails to find again his number / address / the days of the week he's availiable for rollerblading / etc...
I would share with pleasure private info - such as my real name, addresse, email, MSNemail and phone number - with people from my friend list / having me on their friend list (if this has to be approved). Could we do that ? It would be so handy. Now I have those infos frmm my existing friends spread all over my GOL inbox, regular inbox, agenda, mobile, etc.

Could we also have an email history per contact person ? I mean, anytime you open an email you'e received from someone, the previous ones show bellow, on anti-chronological order. So, you wouldn't have to go throught your 347 emails to find again his number / address / the days of the week he's availiable for rollerblading / etc...
Hobbes, Jul 24, 2006 @ 14:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21
I agree entirely with sab_ge on these points, well done! :-)
I agree entirely with sab_ge on these points, well done! :-)
JulianT, Jul 25, 2006 @ 03:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
22 Replies | 2882 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form