Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > News from the Site Admin > GoL Expert Seminars - What think?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
GoL Expert Seminars - What think?
Member Jose inspired us by talking about this idea: GoL volunteer 'expert' members will do non-formal training sessions for interested GoL groups, on their expertise subject. For example: a GoL member who does marketing will do a seminar on marketing, a banker will teach basic finance, etc.

Assuming we crack all the technical details (venue, times, etc), do you think this idea could work?

Thanks for your feedback!

Nir
The text you are quoting:
Member Jose inspired us by talking about this idea: GoL volunteer 'expert' members will do non-formal training sessions for interested GoL groups, on their expertise subject. For example: a GoL member who does marketing will do a seminar on marketing, a banker will teach basic finance, etc.

Assuming we crack all the technical details (venue, times, etc), do you think this idea could work?

Thanks for your feedback!

Nir
Nir OfekApr 15, 2006 @ 19:53
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 2040 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: GoL Expert Seminars - What think?
Post 1
This would add an interesting twist to the networking concept as suggested by a GOL poll (GOLnet) - definitely worth looking into the idea - determining the level of the discussion as well as the length of sessions may be somewhat of a challenge but nothing GOLers can't handle :-)
This would add an interesting twist to the networking concept as suggested by a GOL poll (GOLnet) - definitely worth looking into the idea - determining the level of the discussion as well as the length of sessions may be somewhat of a challenge but nothing GOLers can't handle :-)
Perco, Apr 15, 2006 @ 21:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
i would volunteer ( you heard it here first! ) to do an evening session on self-marketing and CV's in today's job market.
most hotels ( movenpick, warwick etc) will give you a conference room
if you guarantee that everyone buys a drink.
i would volunteer ( you heard it here first! ) to do an evening session on self-marketing and CV's in today's job market.
most hotels ( movenpick, warwick etc) will give you a conference room
if you guarantee that everyone buys a drink.
epicure, Apr 17, 2006 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
that disclaimer doesn't make the information less expert.....it only is there to protect the company from getting sued and being liable.
a real cop-out. you know why? because when the info given is successful, then "they" are responsible for the result. go figure!
that disclaimer doesn't make the information less expert.....it only is there to protect the company from getting sued and being liable.
a real cop-out. you know why? because when the info given is successful, then "they" are responsible for the result. go figure!
epicure, Apr 19, 2006 @ 13:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Doctors are said to be paid for keeping you in good health (ie: when nothing is wrong with you), and consequently, since they are responsible for your illnesses, treat you for free when you are sick - how interesting is that for an approach :) ?

Since there are lawyers in the group, they perhaps would like to comment on how loose a connection there is between (professional) responsibility and the fact of getting paid for advise...There was an infamous case in the US where a podologist was sued by the government for illegal practice when he assisted with injuries (on other parts of the body than feet) on an accident scene.. go figure ...
Doctors are said to be paid for keeping you in good health (ie: when nothing is wrong with you), and consequently, since they are responsible for your illnesses, treat you for free when you are sick - how interesting is that for an approach :) ?

Since there are lawyers in the group, they perhaps would like to comment on how loose a connection there is between (professional) responsibility and the fact of getting paid for advise...There was an infamous case in the US where a podologist was sued by the government for illegal practice when he assisted with injuries (on other parts of the body than feet) on an accident scene.. go figure ...
Perco, Apr 19, 2006 @ 14:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
We take onboard the feedback on finding the right wording for this service (thanks).

Now let's pls stop the discussion on the wording, and get back to the topic - is the service of training by GoLers good or not?

Thanks.
We take onboard the feedback on finding the right wording for this service (thanks).

Now let's pls stop the discussion on the wording, and get back to the topic - is the service of training by GoLers good or not?

Thanks.
Nir Ofek, Apr 24, 2006 @ 14:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Guys - I removed some of the posts dealing with 'is this really an expert training with legal implications or not' from this thread, as the point was made clear and the discussion started going off topic.

The point was well taken - if we do go ahead with the GoL trainings, we'll need to make sure all participants understand they are getting free overviews with no legal implications.

Guys - I removed some of the posts dealing with 'is this really an expert training with legal implications or not' from this thread, as the point was made clear and the discussion started going off topic.

The point was well taken - if we do go ahead with the GoL trainings, we'll need to make sure all participants understand they are getting free overviews with no legal implications.

Nir Ofek, Apr 24, 2006 @ 16:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
I think the focus on the expertise of the individual can be better understood as the enthusiasm for a particular subject and therefore these could be seen not as a place for "Free Advice" but maybe to start a new interest. I am interested in Genology and always end up converting some friends in this pastime, and also as the resident IT expert in the family I'm also in a position to advise or solve problems associated with computers.
I think the focus on the expertise of the individual can be better understood as the enthusiasm for a particular subject and therefore these could be seen not as a place for "Free Advice" but maybe to start a new interest. I am interested in Genology and always end up converting some friends in this pastime, and also as the resident IT expert in the family I'm also in a position to advise or solve problems associated with computers.
britabroad, Apr 26, 2006 @ 00:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
non disclosure agreement
non disclosure agreement
epicure, Apr 26, 2006 @ 16:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
As you know I run the occasional sushi making workshop. But I know that our lovely GOL community has a professional sushi chef among our number. I fully intend to try to persuade him to run an advanced sushi making night!

There are so many skilled people in GOL who have so much to share; its a great idea Nir.

hugs

Kiriel
As you know I run the occasional sushi making workshop. But I know that our lovely GOL community has a professional sushi chef among our number. I fully intend to try to persuade him to run an advanced sushi making night!

There are so many skilled people in GOL who have so much to share; its a great idea Nir.

hugs

Kiriel
Kiriel, Apr 26, 2006 @ 17:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
We are an informal group, but from a legal perspective, a disclaimer is in order.

I know that outside the US, some might find this overkill, but frankly, (to use a U.S. expression) "better safe than sorry".
We are an informal group, but from a legal perspective, a disclaimer is in order.

I know that outside the US, some might find this overkill, but frankly, (to use a U.S. expression) "better safe than sorry".
Jennifer, May 1, 2006 @ 17:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 2040 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form